You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Father Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 4:24pm
Even though I was aware of Morgan and Frank Kelly's brilliant telephone monolugues on daytime Radio Eireann. I didn't get into Fr. Ted at the beginning because I read a preview that included the presser from Hat-Trick which ran along the line  '...it's a classic comedy with three characters who are forced to live together whether they like each other or not'.  The early stuff I saw was
Morgan's Father Trendy meets Live it to Mrs. O'Brien.  The BBC had a comedy running at the same time "Game On".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_On_%28UK_TV_series%29

I would have been more Ballykissangel at the time, eventually warmed to Father Ted for the same reason "Irish on British TV".  But with it's over-exposure I've gone off it again.

www.ucdsupporters.ie
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Fella in the pub last night tried to convince me that (Joe Rooney) Father Damo was Jack Grealish's Da !!!

He was adamant.

he is the bulb of him
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Isn't that a myth that RTE rejected it?
Most of what planning posts is a myth.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 1:23pm
Fella in the pub last night tried to convince me that (Joe Rooney) Father Damo was Jack Grealish's Da !!!

He was adamant.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 1:14pm
Is it true that people actually live in the house? Have never gone to see it but someone said it to me that people lived there but I was a bit sceptical.

The Pat Mustard episode or the football match were probably the best ones. You'd forget that Tommy Tiernan was in it too. Seen a split picture up on facebook yesterday of Grealish and Father Damo LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
JimmyRabbitte View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyRabbitte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:42pm
Did the Ted Tour at the weekend without knowing it was the anniversary.Well worth a trip, tea and cakes in the house, which didn't have the front room decorated like the show which was slightly disappointing. Had pints in the Chinese pub with the bar man being the barman there from the pub. Tour guide confirmed that the show was never offered to the RTE.
Lois: Peter, what did you promise me?
Peter: That I wouldn't drink at the stag party.
Lois: And what did you do?
Peter: Drank at the stag pa-- ... Whoa. I almost walked into that one.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Yes, Linehan has said it in a few interviews that they never even thought of going to RTE with it!
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:45am
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:34am
20 years ago today, the first episode was aired. Though I didn't hear about it until it was aired in December that year on Channel 4. It followed a run of Rory Bremner shows. I only started watching it the following year at the start of the second series.

John and Mary's running battles in and out of the shop and facade when Ted turned up, were some of my favourite scenes. My favourite episode was Episode 3 of Series 1, when Bishop Brennan first showed up, sent them to the local cinema, then the Phillippines when the protest over the blasphemous film that people were "coming from Gdansk" to watch, didn't quite go to plan.

My favourite scene of all comes from "A Song for Europe", and Ted rants at Dougal over their original tuneless entry, (which didn't make it past Father Jack) taking the sledgehammer cracking a nut approach.

The legacy it left had a bigger impact on Irish tv, in terms of how it covered comedy. As RTE rejected it initially for the nature of it's content, they were forced to show it unedited when they bought it off HatTrick. In the years since, comedy shows became much more risqué, and there was greater tolerance of language, so much so that Father Ted is now shown before the watershed. Podge and Rodge later set a new standard of coarseness on Irish tv, yet they pulled in huge audiences, but without Father Ted setting the benchmark, it would probably never have got to air.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

http://www.tedstees.com/accessories/teds-mugs.html

These are class

Have gotten a few t-shirts and a phone cover from this crowd Clap

Your link ain't working by the way McG!
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:25am
Embedded image permalink
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:51am
the episode all the priests got lost in the underwear department LOL

pure gold! 
put em under pressure!
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:50am
Seen a massive CAREFUL NOW sign hanging across a footbridge on the N11 just before UCD, I presume it's in recognition of 20 years, I wonder will there be more Ted things around Dublin?
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:45am
Get the feckin' Crunchies out of the car...
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Bit of an over reaction from linihen go be honest. Can he not take criticism . I don't agree with Delaney but he is entitled to his opinion.

+1

How anyone can think Linehan's reply as other than embarrassing, I don't know. He's completely in the wrong there. Maybe because of the anniversary he might have sensitivities at this time but it doesn't justify that reaction.

I also disagree with Delaney as there was no weak season of it.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:31am
Sure how would i know? I'm from Donegal 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:16am
Bit of an over reaction from linihen go be honest. Can he not take criticism . I don't agree with Delaney but he is entitled to his opinion.
AKA pedantic kunt
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 7:45am
Miguel Delaney won't be commenting on Father Ted again anytime soon, got absolutely destroyed by Graham Linehan on Twitter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic