You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richie Benaud RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richie Benaud RIP
    Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:14am
Passed away aged 84

One of the great sports commentators made cricket that bit more bearable
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:20am
sh*t, I absolutely loved Richie Benaud. He always maintained a no PPV tv stance. A great commentor, probably my favourite.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

sh*t, I absolutely loved Richie Benaud. He always maintained a no PPV tv stance. A great commentor, probably my favourite.

doesn't that go against your beliefs?
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Passed away aged 84

One of the great sports commentators made cricket that bit more bearable
Cricket should never be borne, only enjoyed. I cycled past the pitch in Trinity College this evening where the great man captained Australia against Ireland in 1961. And how splendid the place looked. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:59am
Jeeezzzzz sad news . i just recall years ago himself and Jim Laker were fantastic together talking about cricket .
I remember Richie talked when he was captain of Australia and he had a spin bolwer that wasn't doing what he wanted ( not putting it in the right areas ) he said to him one day as he walked the the other end of the strip  and put a Coke can on the spot where he wanted the player to hit and said " i will give you $50,000 if you can hit the can with just one throw and if you can then why can't you do it in the test match every time as well " Classic Man Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 8:33am
Another childhood voice gone. Great commentator RIP
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 9:37am

The cream of the crop of old school commentators.

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:25pm
Manys a daytime spent watching test match cricket on the BBC TV with Richie commentating, the rain delays were sometime the more entertaining as they would just sit around and reminince

RIP indeed
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
lexie_2005 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexie_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:29pm
Yeah,an absolute shame,RIP.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic