You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 369>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Hetfield Hetfield wrote:

[RoI fans] seem to take for granted games against the likes of Gibraltar, Georgia, Faroe Islands etc. And if NI become more successful, the same thing will happen in Windsor Park

Fair points. Staying relatively successful is the hard bit, of course ;)

I've an extended cousin called Hetfield btw. Parents both big Metal(lica) fans.

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

12,000 season tickets sold is some going, any idea what price they were?

I'm paying £150 to renew (it's in three instalments). New bookers a bit more, also many of them will be in 'premium' seats above the half-way line.

Originally posted by Brendan Brendan wrote:

Czech Republic are an average side, so are Hungary who got to the last 16 of the Euro's! you said you would be pleased to finish third which is quite frankly a lie

NI have been a below-average side for most of the last 30 years. Czechia and Norway have a much bigger pool of players. I also said I'd be happiest of we won the whole thing and might change my mind if the oppo turned out weaker than expected. In August 2014 I'd have been delighted with third, a year later second would have been a disappointment. Cut some slack, eh?

Originally posted by zizu zizu wrote:

The worry for them is somebody coming in for MON

Next job most likely in the SPL. He lives in Scotland, teams in the EPL and much of the ECL will want European club experience at a high level.

Originally posted by Trap
Junior Trap Junior wrote:

Czech had loads of gilt edge chances

One shot on target.

Originally posted by Baggio Baggio wrote:

Jaysus, the north are one of the most boring teams to watch in football

Why do you keep watching then- hoping we'll let in a tennis score like other teams?

The 38 teams who cashed out of France before we did might like some of that defensive solidity ;)

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 05 Sep 2016 at 9:52am
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:50am
Well last night I watched them as there wasn't much else on. I watched a few of your games in the euros as there was a a lot of hype and buzz around at the time, and the Poland and Wales games were two of the dullest of the tournament.
The game last night was pure muck. Zero entertainment.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 05 Sep 2016 at 9:53am
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Jaysus, the north are one of the most boring teams to watch in football.

Sure the fans admit as much. "We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland", isn't it?

They are grim to watch but O'Neill continues to work wonders with extremely limited resources. Didn't see the game but a point away to the Czechs is a great start for them. Czech Republic are very much a second-rate international team these days too so 2nd place in the group should not be considered beyond them.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:55am

I don't keep watching you. I watched a few of your games in the euros and the Poland and Wales games were two of the dullest of the tournament.

To be fair Baggio we are the last ones in the world to go criticising the north for being boring. This stifling football worked for the guts of 3 years under Trap and I'd rather bore other teams and our fans if it gets us results rather than being a whipping boy tbh.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
Originally posted by Hetfield Hetfield wrote:

[RoI fans] seem
to take for granted games against the likes of Gibraltar, Georgia,
Faroe Islands etc. And if NI become more successful, the same thing
will happen in Windsor Park
</span>
<p ="western"="" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Fair points. Staying
relatively successful is the hard bit, of course ;)</span>

<p ="western"="" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">I've an extended cousin
called Hetfield btw. Parents both big Metal(lica) fans.</span>

<p ="western"="" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

season tickets sold is some going, any idea what price they
were?
</span>

<p ="western"="" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm paying £150 to
renew (it's in three instalments). New bookers a bit more, also many
of them will be in 'premium' seats above the half-way line.</span>

Originally posted by Brendan Brendan wrote:

Czech
Republic are an average side, so are Hungary who got to the last 16
of the Euro's! you said you would be pleased to finish third which is
quite frankly a lie
</span>

<p ="western"="" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">NI have been a
below-average side for most of the last 30 years. Czechia and Norway
have a much bigger pool of players. I also said I'd be happiest of we
won the whole thing and might change my mind if the oppo turned out
weaker than expected. In August 2014 I'd have been delighted with
third, a year later second would have been a disappointment. Cut some
slack, eh?</span>

Originally posted by zizu zizu wrote:

The worry for
them is somebody coming in for MON
</span>

<p ="western"="" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Next job most likely in
the SPL. He lives in Scotland, teams in the EPL and much of the ECL
will want European club experience at a high level.</span>

Originally posted by Trap<br />Junior Trap
Junior wrote:

Czech had loads of gilt edge chances
</span>

<p ="western"="" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="line-height: 0.42cm;">One shot on target.</span>

<p ="western"="" style="margin-bottom: 0cm"><span style="line-height: 0.42cm;">
Originally posted by Baggio Baggio wrote:

Jaysus,
the north are one of the most boring teams to watch in
football
</span>

<p ="western"="" align="LEFT" style="margin-bottom: 0cm; line-height: 0.42cm;"><span style="line-height: 0.42cm;">Why
do you keep watching then- hoping we'll let in a tennis score like
other teams?</span>

<p ="western"="" align="LEFT" style="margin-bottom: 0cm; line-height: 0.42cm;"><span style="line-height: 0.42cm;">The
38 teams who cashed out of France before we did might like some of
that defensive solidity ;)</span>

Would you go to most of the aways Floreat?

Better start saving for Norway

€1.50 pints here in Belgrade. Doubt it'll be the same in Oslo
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:59am
We were utterly boring under Trap too as I said at the time. It was the main reason why there was such a campaign to get him sacked throughout most of his regime.
Doesn't make the north an any less boring team to watch now. Just calling a spade a spade.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:29am

We were utterly boring under Trap too as I said at the time. It was the main reason why there was such a campaign to get him sacked throughout most of his regime.
Doesn't make the north an any less boring team to watch now. Just calling a spade a spade.

Not too many were calling for Traps head for the first 3/4 years to be fair. We put up with the putrid football as our results were generally good and we had picked ourselves off the floor into a tightly knit defensive unit.

It's crap to watch but It's all about the results. Some of the Scots on The TA forum were coming out with beautys such they'd rather not qualify than play the football we play

I know what I'd rather
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:31am
@Mucker- I try to get to a couple of the aways in each campaign. No dough for Prague or Hannover after the summer hols, and as you say Norway is frighteningly expensive. San Marino most likely at this stage.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:34am

@Mucker- I try to get to a couple of the aways in each campaign. No dough for Prague or Hannover after the summer hols, and as you say Norway is frighteningly expensive. San Marino most likely at this stage.

Would love us to draw Azerbaijan for some reason. Did you head to that match or know anyone that did? Resut aside Good trip?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:54am

You'll have a good trip there : Enjoyed our last visit there even if it was the wrong time of year to be in Rimini !
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 12:13pm
Quote Would love us to draw Azerbaijan for some reason. Did you head to that match or know anyone that did? Resut aside Good trip?

My brother went in WC 2006 qualifying. Said it was great. Numbers were down for the 2014 game, probably as the 'Love Boat' floating in the Caspian Sea had closed...

Quote You'll have a good trip there : Enjoyed our last visit there even if it was the wrong time of year to be in Rimini !

Aye, I was there in 2010 quali. We got bumped from the overboooked Ibis dive into a fetish place with two-way mirrors, rubber walls and dildo-shaped taps. Hotel Huomo 'alla Duomo ;)
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

2nd place is probably not out of the question Florry? Let's just assume that Germany beat everyone. The Czechs or Norway are not the forces that they once were. With a good home record then you should be in the hunt for the runners up spot.  
If I may intrude, an objective assessment would probably see us finish 3rd, but having just come back from Prague, I personally think we can sneak second.

Our big problem is that Michael is realistically only picking 11 from 15 or 16 each time, so that even a couple of injuries or suspensions in one area of the field leaves us buggered. For example vs Czechia, we were without Brunt (WBA), our regular LB. Normally Evans would fill in, but Cathcart (Watford CB) was also injured, so Evans played CB alongside McAuley.

Which meant Ferguson, Millwall left winger, dropped back to LB. And when he went off, Hodson, a Rangers RB deputised for him - down to the barest of bones.

That said, Czechia were pretty crap. Having lost Rosicky, Cech and a couple others since the Euros, their new manager is having to rebuild, with no obvious young talent in sight. Moreover, the Euros may have sapped their confidence and it was no surprise that only 10.730 fans showed up in a 20k stadium - 1,100 of them ours.

Of course they might revive in time to challenge, like Hungary did after we beat them in Budapest in the opening Euro qualifier in 2014. But the Czechs have only got 12 months before they come to Belfast, so it will be tight.

As for Norway, I know nothing about them, but losing your first game 3-0 at home, even to Germany, is a bad start.

Our remaining three games this year are San Marino (H), Germany (A) and Azerbaijan (H). Six more points from those 3 games would keep us on track, seven would be a bonus and nine.... OK, maybe I had better calm down.

Edited by Territorial - 06 Sep 2016 at 8:37pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:41pm

They're hard to beat though. I watched most of the Czech match and at least they are very solid and well organised. O'Neill is probably getting the best out of his limited resources and I wouldn't be too hard on them for not playing free flowing football or creating loads of chances.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I'd imagine the Euros was also a bit of a wake-up call to reality for them. Apart from the Ukraine match they looked as out of their depth as we did in 2012.
Really?

We conceded three goals in four games - one an OG and both the others deflected on their way in.

Versus Poland, it wasn't that they were that much better than us, rather that some of our players froze.

Next time out, Michael made 5 changes and we beat Ukraine 2-0 deservedly.

Against Germany we were battered from start to finish, but still didn't crumble, against a team not that different from the one who battered Brazil 7-1 two years earlier.

And vs Wales, even Coleman admitted that "the best team lost".

So we were mostly competitive, whereas in 2012, ROI were abject* throughout - arguably the worst team in the tourney.

* And I'm not saying that just because it's you (though it does give me pleasure to recall! )
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 9:04pm

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I'd imagine the Euros was also a bit of a wake-up call to reality for them. Apart from the Ukraine match they looked as out of their depth as we did in 2012.

They lost unluckily to an own goal in the 2nd round to a Welsh side that reached the semi finals.  Either side of that game Wales blew Russia and Belgium away.  They lost 1-0 to the World Champions albeit thanks to some brilliant goalkeeping.  It was nothing like our 2012 performance but very like our 2016 performance.<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 1.4"> </SPAN>

That is putting it mildly! On another day they could have lost that game 6 or 7 nil and I really don't think that is an exaggeration. It was scarcely believable how outclassed they were that day. Fair enough perhaps it wasn't quite as bad as our 2012 performance but it certainly wasn't as good as our 2016 performance. I could not imagine them producing the kind of performance we did against either Italy or the hosts.

Of course McGovern was magnificent vs Germany.

But what people don't appreciate was that despite being stretched, harried and outclassed for the entire 90 minutes, the other 10 refused to crumble, panic or give up.

Not every team out in France could have said that, and certainly not ROI in 2012.

Edited by Territorial - 06 Sep 2016 at 9:08pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:08pm

Not if you're a fan!

Granted, non-fans must find us extremely hard going, but when I look at the players we have, I never expect Tiki Taki.

Instead, all I ask is that the boys play with spirit, heart, effort and commitment, which they do, in spades.

Which in turn is why we are all so proud of them (these days, at least )

Thereafter, the results take care of themselves.

Edited by Territorial - 06 Sep 2016 at 10:09pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:13pm

Well last night I watched them as there wasn't much else on. I watched a few of your games in the euros as there was a a lot of hype and buzz around at the time, and the Poland and Wales games were two of the dullest of the tournament.

I take it you didn't enjoy watching ROI under Big Jack, then?

To complete Devorzex's quotation, "We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland, But it's all the same to me"
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 7:59am
^obsessed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 369>
  Share Topic