You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 369>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 6:43pm
If you're not from the North, how come you're so familiar with life on the Falls in the 80s? And what did the Nordies soccer team do to the people of the 1980s Falls Road?

The 80s is the 80s. If I were alive during the potato famine, I might hate the English team but I wasn't. I'm from a modern, confident democratic republic, I'm an Arsenal fan, and it's been good to see Wilshire get two tonight.

Edited by inlikeflynn - 14 Jun 2015 at 6:45pm
Sponsored Links

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I have never listened to their chants, but I'd be surprised if that sort of singing was going on without UEFA sanction and media reporting, like what they did when England sang anti IRA songs.

And the flags aimed at upsetting bloody Sunday relatives is sickening, but I don't think that has to do with soccer.

I have no doubt that there is a core of bastards in the North support, but we have our own too. I abhor everything that the IRA did yet our CEO sings songs about them, he knows all the words.

Quite frankly, if it wasn't for needing the players, I'd be happiest to see everyone from the North unite under their team instead of supporting us.

If people who have an issue with the North got onto the terraces and drown out these chants with better songs, if they had a common goal / sporting dream with the people from the same city then you might have a more stable life up there.

You're an idiot. Supporting 'us?' I am part of us along with every man woman and child who supports Ireland from the north , I'm Irish in every way, guess what? I've the same passport as you.. Are you more Irish because you were in the south? Ffs
You also contradicted yourself, the IRA got you your Republic. Yet you hate everything They did.. Christ
mario85 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:28pm

If you're not from the North, how come you're so familiar with life on the Falls in the 80s? And what did the Nordies soccer team do to the people of the 1980s Falls Road?

The 80s is the 80s. If I were alive during the potato famine, I might hate the English team but I wasn't. I'm from a modern, confident democratic republic, I'm an Arsenal fan, and it's been good to see Wilshire get two tonight.

because I'm educated and know my history. 

recent history is clearly lost on some, but sure that's to be expected in the fantastic new PC world we live in.. each to their own eh

inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:29pm
Honestly, I'm not that exercised by it. I don't think my support of them in the Euros will be much of an issue as they can't keep the winning up and Hungary will overtake them.

But in my opinion they're Irish too and I'll lend them my support when I don't have Ireland to support.

It's very difficult to have these conversations as some people get so worked up, like yourself. You're as Irish as you feel I guess, but we have no choice of team, you do.
Irish Duke View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:33pm
Everyone born on the Island is Irish irrespective of religion, colour, creed. There are people born in other countries who feel Irish and ARE irish.  also no one has a monopoly on being irish.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Irish Duke Irish Duke wrote:

Everyone born on the Island is Irish irrespective of religion, colour, creed. There are people born in other countries who feel Irish and ARE irish.  also no one has a monopoly on being irish.
Agreed. And that's why I'll lend my support to the Norrdies.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:49pm
They're not my team. I could not care less about them. I don't 'want them to do well' any more than i want Denmark, Slovakia or Uzbekistan to do well, who also fall under the heading of not being my team. In fact i'd probably be more likely to want them to do well as there is not, to my knowledge, a sizable proportion of Danes/Slovaks/Uzbeks following their team who actively hate us.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
mario85 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:52pm

lend your support to who ya like lad. just didnt appreciate how dismissive you were of the people of NI supporting the Republic (they're as Irish as you or me whether you like it or not), or how they should support NI just because you have no ill feelings towards the NI/Unionism support. It's a little thing called apathy, look it up.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:10pm

When NI qualified for the 82 & 86 World Cups they had support and plenty of good wishes from south of the border.  Certainly nothing even remotely close to Italia 90 but I cannot recall anyone wishing them ill. Indeed there were competitions to win trips to Mexico.

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by mario85 mario85 wrote:

lend your support to who ya like lad. just didnt appreciate how dismissive you were of the people of NI supporting the Republic (they're as Irish as you or me whether you like it or not), or how they should support NI just because you have no ill feelings towards the NI/Unionism support. It's a little thing called apathy, look it up.
You didn't answer my question about what thw connection is between life on the Falls Rd in the 80s and the soccer team of the North. I have googled it and all I can see is that Gerry Armstrong came from there and played for them
mario85 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:52pm
and im sure plenty didnt want them to win also. really depends on your prerogative mate
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

When NI qualified for the 82 & 86 World Cups they had support and plenty of good wishes from south of the border.  Certainly nothing even remotely close to Italia 90 but I cannot recall anyone wishing them ill. Indeed there were competitions to win trips to Mexico.

They showed their appreciation in 94 alright.
So say that NI supported us is either delusional or 2 faced.

Edited by horsebox - 14 Jun 2015 at 9:52pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 10:02pm
A 1956 (West) German Government Report estimated over 650,000 German & Austrian Civilian deaths due to RAF & US air raids. 650,000 human beings, mainly women & kids. Yet they were singing their RAF "heroes" praises yesterday all game. 
Wrap the Loyalist flag around me Billy Hunter God Save our Gracious Queen, No Surrender to the IRA, a team for all Clap
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

A 1956 (West) German Government Report estimated over 650,000 German & Austrian Civilian deaths due to RAF & US air raids. 650,000 human beings, mainly women & kids. Yet they were singing their RAF "heroes" praises yesterday all game. 
Wrap the Loyalist flag around me Billy Hunter God Save our Gracious Queen, No Surrender to the IRA, a team for all Clap

'THE RAF FROM ULSTER' 

I'm sure the folks in Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal feel a part of it.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 11:54pm

the majority of their decent fans wanted us to do well in Euro 2012.

Oh I'd say they did alright...

Sure they love us...

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/unionist-mla-paul-girvan-has-no-problem-burning-irish-tricolor-on-eleventh-night-bonfires-audio-213368051-237680181.html

But that's just culture... They're football fans are totally different people altogether...

http://youtu.be/q3ZgfdQeBjs

They aren't the smartest lads all the same tho...

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/linfield-shop-sign-tricolour-is-ivory-coast-not-republic-of-ireland-flag-30357592.html
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:00am

Originally posted by mario85 mario85 wrote:

You didn't answer my question about what thw connection is between life on the Falls Rd in the 80s and the soccer team of the North. I have googled it and all I can see is that Gerry Armstrong came from there and played for them

So did Pat Jennings from Newry and possible the greatest goalkeeper to come from the Island, so did MON... they didnt have a choice you idiot, the rule didnt exist. If given the opportunity id be fairly confident they'd of played for us, like most nationalists capable of have now.

I couldn't care less how NI do, i care more about how China do. NI could be Narnia to me, i don't recognise it. I go out with a girl from Wicklow she was intimidated by a few spots in my local area, she wouldn't go into the shop. People from the South for a large part don't have a clue what its like up here, you seem to fit into that category. 

Great bunch of lads alright Clap

Edited by SByrne24 - 15 Jun 2015 at 12:06am
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:11am
Any Irish Citizen be they North or South who lends any creedence that props up these apartheid minded cretins should be ashamed of their ignorance of the realities on the ground. 
There is ONE National team for this Nation that represents all Irishmen regardless of religious beliefs & none. Anything else is a makey-uppy sectarian pub team representing a state-let created and maintained by outsiders under force.

Edited by Madferret - 15 Jun 2015 at 12:14am
JD & Coke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD & Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:48am
Its embarresing how little lads in the South know about the North, a few friends with me in the pub after the game yesterday wondering why i wanted the North to lose to romania, i tried to explain what a shower of ****s they are but just gave up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 369>
  Share Topic