Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 296297298299300 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:30pm
We’ll see 
Slovakia are sh*t, currently losing to a Scottish reserve side if you want to read much into tonight’s games 
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

We’ll see 
Slovakia are sh*t, currently losing to a Scottish reserve side if you want to read much into tonight’s games 

Slovakia reserves too. They made 7 or 8 changes from the game against us.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:36pm

We’ll see 

And I told you they have two quality player to come back. I was also asking who the North have to come in but didn’t get an answer on that one.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:38pm
I don’t think they were missing anyone from the team that went to Bosnia and won

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

We’ll see 

And I told you they have two quality player to come back. I was also asking who the North have to come in but didn’t get an answer on that one.

I think you're letting what you want to happen cloud your judgement what will probably happen Brendan. Dare I say, it kinda reminds me a bit of Hans Moleman and his daft predictions on United not even finishing in the top 10 last season. Wink

I'm sure you would've fancied Bosnia to beat N.I. handy the other night.  

Irrespective of who Slovakia are or aren't missing, it will be a very tight game and I'd be shocked if they had a comfortable win against N.I. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

We’ll see 

I think you're letting what you want to happen cloud your judgement what will probably happen Brendan. Dare I say, it kinda reminds me a bit of Hans Moleman and his daft predictions on United not even finishing in the top 10 last season. Wink

Irrespective of who Slovakia are or aren't missing, it will be a very tight game and I'd be shocked if they had a comfortable win against N.I. 

Not at all! I believe you are letting your worst fears cloud your judgement! They are a poor side, Slovakia aren’t much better but they have that bit of quality which the North do not.

And I never once mentioned a comfortable win, RB said the North would win comfortably.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 11 Oct 2020 at 10:13pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:21pm

We’ll see 

Not at all! I believe you are letting your worst fears cloud your judgement! They are a poor side, Slovakia aren’t much better but they have that bit of quality which the North do not.

And I never once mentioned a comfortable win, RB said the North would win comfortably.

Fair enough on the comfortable win one. 

For me, it's a mixture of worst fears admittedly but also the fact they've pulled off big results in recent years and any team that can get a draw away to Romania with 10 men and beat Bosnia on penalties away would be slight favourites to beat Slovakia at home with some supporters present imo. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:44pm
Why are you taking the Romania game into merit and not the matches against Norway and Bosnia?

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:50pm

Why are you taking the Romania game into merit and not the matches against Norway and Bosnia?

I did take the Bosnia game into account but I think they were missing a few key players from the Norway hammering as far as I remember. Norway are better than Slovakia too. 

Do you think Slovakia will beat them in the 90? Prediction? No matter who wins this'll be a tight game and I wouldn't be as confident about Slovakia as you are. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 11:03pm

I did take the Bosnia game into account but I think they were missing a few key players from the Norway hammering as far as I remember. Norway are better than Slovakia too. 

Do you think Slovakia will beat them in the 90? Prediction? No matter who wins this'll be a tight game and I wouldn't be as confident about Slovakia as you are. 

Apologies I meant tonight’s game against Austria, they were shocking.

I’ve as much confidence in Slovakia winning as you do with the North LOL

I think Slovakia will beat them 1-0.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:38am
As I've said many times before, when we have out First XI out, fit and on form, we're decent enough.

But if we're missing even one or two key players, then we struggle, since we don't have any depth in our squad.

Tonight Bara was forced to make changes and we paid the price.

But just as we were ok with a full team against Bosnia, then we should be equally ok against Slovakia.

Especially since from what I can see, Slovakia aren't any better than Bosnia, and possibly not as good.

Edited by Territorial - 12 Oct 2020 at 12:39am
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:45am
The main players ( Evans, Cathcart, Lewis, Davis ) all played last night. Legs are gone for Cathcart and Davis, Lewis is still learning how to defend, Evans is still quality but capable of mistakes. McGovern could not be blamed for the goal and really it should have been three or four. Nothing at all up front until Boyce carved out that late chance. Lafferty should be nowhere near the squad. Slovakia were lucky to get through but if they have their best players back next month they should dominate possession at least.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:26am
If they can get past Bosnia away then there's no reason not to think they won't do likewise at home against Slovakia.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The main players...Legs are gone

You forgot Dallas. Baraclough said he wanted to try him in midfield: it wasn't a success but of course we need to create chances from midfield. I'm guessing Saville will return, as the Bosnia game showed at least he gets into position to miss them Smile

Agreed we're now an old squad- with many players who've been in it for 10 years without establishing as first choices. Few of them will finish WC qualifying, although if we win the playoff, they'll hang around until June.

The 'Great Man of History' theory doesn't always work in football. Dzeko and Pjanic led Bosnia well, but the others couldn't step up and their back four were dodgy.

As things stand I expect fans to be excluded entirely in November Ouch
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:52pm
Apologies, I had indeed forgotten Dallas. He looked tired during the game as did others but he is a good player. I recall him as a winger in his Irish League days, as was Gavin Whyte, but he is versatile enough to play different positions. I don't rate Saville as international class, McNair has ability but too often doesn't produce it. Not much coming through at the moment.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 1:34pm

I don’t think they were missing anyone from the team that went to Bosnia and won
Bara made 5 changes last night to the 11 which started in Bosnia, also moved Dallas from RB to MF.

Of the 5 new picks, Conor McLaughlin has only played 2 games in 2020, Michael McGovern just the one(?), Gavin Whyte and Jordan Jones have been in-and-out at Cardiff and Rangers and Kyle Lafferty (Reggiana) - well who knows what he's been up to this last 6 months!

And the 6 who were retained were likely knackered from Thursday's 2 hours of football, shoot-out and travel etc.

I expect that certainly 9, maybe 10 and possibly even all 11 of the Bosnia starters will also start against Slovakia (injury/fitness permitting).

And it should be a tight game, with NI possibly marginal favourites?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Apologies, I had indeed forgotten Dallas. He looked tired during the game as did others but he is a good player. I recall him as a winger in his Irish League days, as was Gavin Whyte, but he is versatile enough to play different positions. I don't rate Saville as international class, McNair has ability but too often doesn't produce it. Not much coming through at the moment.

No, not a lot.

But there are hopes for Ballard (Arsenal), McCalmont (Leeds) and Galbraith (Man U). And although he has 17 caps at 23, I'd actually rate Bailey Peacock-Farrell as a "youngster", when you consider that gk's don't usually mature until around 5 years after outfielders, but go on 5 years longer.

And one of the benefits of having a very small squad is that players get a chance to develop internationally in a way that they would never get if playing for a country with more competition.

An excellent example is Niall McGinn. In terms of ability and club experience, he'd be lucky to have, say, 10 caps if playing for ROI/Scot/Wales. But the net effect of having 57 NI caps, incl Euro2016, meant that when recalled to the starting XI out in Bosnia, he was entirely comfortable in that environment. Corry Evans was another who shone in Bosnia, while someone like Gavin Whyte (24 y.o., Cardiff) or Jordan Thompson (23 y.o., Stoke) could turn out to have a similar career.

Of course the disadvantage of introducing kids so early is that it takes 4 or 5 years for them to develop, during which time they'll make mistakes, with no guarantee they'll eventually be good enough. As against that, they often get the chance to develop together in a stable line-up, rather than being thrown in to a team which is constantly chopping and changing.

All of which explains why decent NI teams only come in cycles, and then only if we have a manager who knows what he's doing, and stays the course. Bingham and O'Neill certainly came into that category, as for Bara, who knows?

Like eg Kenny, it's far too early to predict for him, but on the evidence so far, I suspect he'll at least do a decent job in squeezing the last drops out of the O'Neill era. Whether he can then go on to build a new team in his own image, time will tell.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 2:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 296297298299300 369>
  Share Topic