You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 369>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

You think FIFA would allow a single, unified nation to have two separate national football associations and field two international football teams?

When Germany reunited in 1990, Germany DR (East Germany) was simply absorbed by the larger West Germany, with the DVF ceasing to exist and the DFB taking over as its only footballing body.

There's obviously a certain amount of straw-clutching in that post.
Simple statement of fact.

In any case, Irish football continued a single entity long past 1922, and until the skism in 1950.
Wrong.

There was an IFA team all during that period along with a separate FAIFS/FAI team. This was formally confirmed by FIFA in 1950.

We already have much shared footballing history. And it would simply bring us into line with other sports.
FIFA doesn't administer other sports.

It's time for the nonsense to end. The FAI is already, in effect, a 32-county concern. Let's get real.
Get help.

It's always good to upset all the right people on here.

It seems both you and Floreat Ultonia are already braced for the inevitable.

And as precedents go, I still think the Germany example is the most  pertinent and appropriate.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 15 Sep 2020 at 4:13pm
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:08pm

It's always good to upset all the right people on here.

It seems both you and Floreat Ultonia are already braced for the inevitable.

And as precedents go, I still think the Germany example is the most  pertinent and appropriate.

(Answering for Florrie as well)

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:20pm

You think FIFA would allow a single, unified nation to have two separate national football associations and field two international football teams?

When Germany reunited in 1990, Germany DR (East Germany) was simply absorbed by the larger West Germany, with the DVF ceasing to exist and the DFB taking over as its only footballing body.

There's obviously a certain amount of straw-clutching in that post.

In any case, Irish football continued a single entity long past 1922, and until the skism in 1950.

We already have much shared footballing history. And it would simply bring us into line with other sports.

It's time for the nonsense to end. The FAI is already, in effect, a 32-county concern. Let's get real.

It is certainly true that one association on this island acted as a de facto 32-county association until 1950.  The other association took them to FIFA and won their case.  

However it wa the IFA that was told by FIFA to stop picking players from the Republic of Ireland.  

The last time a side picked from all of this island that played an official International match was the side that played Wales in the Home Championship in 1950.   

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

@Mucker- maybe I'm unfair to Evans (Terri will probably be less harsh), but when a player cuts for personal reasons, I expect those 
to be health or family related, not sorting out a last lucrative payday in Istanbul or Shanghai. Lewis was open in arranging his move to Newcastle. Of course players don't see this as we do, but there's no need to bullsh*t about it.
Unless everyone's covering for him it seems that his absence vs Norway had a reasonable explanation:

Leicester City star 'distraught' after injury on international duty

Leicester City centre-back Jonny Evans has picked up a thigh strain while on duty with Northern Ireland, leaving him "distraught".

The 32-year-old had been in contention to feature in the Nations League game against Norway on Monday night, having missed Friday’s fixture in Romania due to “personal reasons”, but was forced to watch from the sidelines in Belfast.

Northern Ireland’s manager, Leicester-born Ian Baraclough, said he did not want to risk Evans in case the injury worsened and ruled him out of October’s international break.

“Jonny trained and we had a really good session on Saturday and he picked up a slight thigh strain,” Baraclough said after the 5-1 home defeat to Norway.

"Again, it’s one we’re not going to risk. He wasn’t happy and was distraught not to play a part in either game.

“The bigger picture is next month’s game.”

Evans’ injury will now be assessed by City and provided it is not too serious, it won’t affect his potential first-team game-time, with the defender suspended for the first three games of the season anyway, following his straight red card against Manchester United on the final day of the previous campaign.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-star-distraught-after-4494194

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 3:10pm
NI playoff moved to Sarajevo due to the condition of the pitch in Zenica 

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

NI playoff moved to Sarajevo due to the condition of the pitch in Zenica 

Guessing it would probably be the same for the final if Bosnia were to win?
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 7:51pm
The story of NI's night at Wembley in 1985 to the backdrop of the Troubles....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

A "Feel Good" piece about the Northern Ireland team? Shocked

"Shurely shome mishtake"...

To be serious, thanks for that nicely written article on a game which is right up there on my "Proud to say 'I Was There' List" Thumbs Up

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 9:43am
@Terri- thanks for that. Hopefully he and our other regulars will be fit and available for Bosnia...

@ Newt- you post doesn't upset me. Partly as I broadly agree that a) the British State is more likely than not to break up within a generation, and b) this is a good thing overall. A few points briefly,

1 You don't understand the POV of Unionists, Partitionists etc because as I explained above, you are simply hidebound by your Foundation Myth. Move on from that and we can have a more useful discussion

2 Almost all changes to European borders both in the last 30 years and predicted for the near future are the break of large usually centralised countries- USSR, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia then, maybe Britain, Spain and Belgium soon. So a reunification of Ireland would be unusual, as well as having few comparisons with Germany. Most obviously, 40% of people in Pomerania or Saxony weren't desperate to stay in the DDR

3 As others have said, sorting out the IFA is hardly going to be a priority for anyone, even UEFA. And to the extent it is, they aren't going to take much notice of another sport played seriously in only 4 European countries, one of which is allowed 3 international teams. See also GAA (writ small)

4 Whatever the FAI's jurisdiction in the past, its scope now is well beyond Ireland. Like the IFA it's teams regularly field squads in which a third of the players have never lived in Ireland. International sport is full of anomalies, just add this to the list

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 17 Sep 2020 at 10:06am
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 9:56am

To be serious, thanks for that nicely written article on a game which is right up there on my "Proud to say 'I Was There' List" Thumbs Up

Was "Proud" one of those typos where you include an extra letter  by mistake?

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:10am
Aye, like the M, A, R, N, T and I in almost everything the Methodical Mountie posts here 😀

(this isn't a defence of any particular religion, I've been an Atheist since primary school)
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:44am
I'm an aetheist, too, but, strangely enough, the denomination of my primary school was always an impediment to job opportunities, regardless of qualification, merit or suitability for the position applied for.

Did you experience that... I mean, as a fellow aetheist? 

Edited by Martiponti - 17 Sep 2020 at 10:47am
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:00pm
The only real impediment I faced at any of my numerous primaries was a knobend head teacher with a prejudice against left handers VF
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Martiponti Martiponti wrote:

Try to stop being a prck.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 6:47pm

Originally posted by Martiponti Martiponti wrote:

Try to stop being a prck.
A prick only stops being a prick when it's a pric.....It always has an i

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:53pm
Norman Iron finished bottom of their nations league group with 0 points, Bosnia finished top of that group with 10 points LOL

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:25pm
Fair play to yas, at least yas had a pair of balls to play, not like our premier league superstars like dead eye Doherty, jazzy Jeff and no foot Christy browne. I'm sure Slovakia will be SUPER hard for yas x
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:29pm
Put the bottle down!LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 369>
  Share Topic