Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282283284285286 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

and then to suggest that everything is ok with Windsor Park. Well that’s just ridiculous. Players from nationalist backgrounds are unlikely to want to stand for GSTQ

You are both ignoring reality (many players from assumed Nationalist backgrounds continue to play for NI), largely because you arrogantly assume that they all agree fully with you

You're right. Those nationalist players really seem to enjoy the honour of standing for GSTQ with their heads bowed looking like they'd want to be anywhere else than in Windsor Park!

The only arrogance is from the IFA which has continued to insist on playing an anthem that doesn't represent a significant portion of the population.

If it bothered them that much then they just wouldn't play. That isn't to say it shouldn't be changed, but it obviously isn't  more important than avoiding international football entirely. 
Sponsored Links

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:18pm
Must be time for some alternative suggestions

Teenage Kicks
Alternative Ulster
Chasing Cars
Days of Pearly Spencer (written by Linfields reserve keeper)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:20pm
Amhran na bhfiann

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:26pm
Evening Horsey. Dirges about fighting with foreigners are so 20th century, don't ye think?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:26pm

Teenage Kicks
Alternative Ulster
Chasing Cars
GSTQ is less offensive than 'Chasing Cars'...
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 5:24am

Teenage Kicks
Alternative Ulster
Chasing Cars
     I can't see any of the above being acceptable to the wee fans of the wee country; I've tried singing them all with a"f**k the Pope" interjection, and it just doesn't work as well as it does with the English anthem.My advice would be not to tinker around with this sort of thing, and keep singing the English anthem.......for the time that's left.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 5:49am
How and ever, if there does have to be a change, my suggestion would be Danny Boy, with Danny being substituted by Billy, and Flutes instead of Pipes........"the summer's gone and all the flowers are dying". I think it's good.Anyone else?
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 5:59am
Strange Obsessions by Protex and it could be dedicated to the marching season.
Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:32am
DM: top band back in the day, good choice

MP: I think GSTQ will go as Windsor's walk on music, possibly as a reaction to England dropping it first. But you have a few years of top bantz opportunities first
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:52am

DM: top band back in the day, good choice

MP: I think GSTQ will go as Windsor's walk on music, possibly as a reaction to England dropping it first. But you have a few years of top bantz opportunities first

Cracking band saw them supporting Thin Lizzy once and also headlining at Sunderland Polytechnic.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 2:39pm

You're right. Those nationalist players really seem to enjoy the honour of standing for GSTQ with their heads bowed looking like they'd want to be anywhere else than in Windsor Park!

If it's Bairdinho you're referring to, the same man once let slip that the FAI approached him after he made his Southampton breakthrough in the 2003 FA Cup Final. Before making his NI debut the following month in a friendly under Sammy McIlroy.

This was the start of 79 caps in 13 years, up to appearing in the 2016 Euro Finals. After which he noted in his farewell message:

"It was a tough decision because I have enjoyed every single minute that I have played for Northern Ireland.

"Qualification for Euro 2016 was the icing on the cake for my international career, but I have so many fantastic memories, like the win over England and beating Spain.

"I am fortunate to have lined out with some great players over the past 13 years and I would like to thank the managers, coaches and Irish FA staff that I have worked with over that time.

"I would also like to thank the Northern Ireland fans who have been absolutely tremendous. It is true - they are the best supporters in the world."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/chris-baird-im-retiring-from-northern-ireland-on-a-high-with-great-memories-34974773.html

So what have you got to say about that then? LOL

Edited by Territorial - 29 Apr 2020 at 2:42pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 6:06pm
They just look like they're having pre-match farts, to me.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:31am
Tommy Wright has quit St Johnstone next Nordie manager?

Edited by Double Maxim - 02 May 2020 at 11:32am
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Tommy Wright has quit St Johnstone next Nordie manager?

Possibly, but his departure from St. J is not linked with the NI vacancy.

Apparently the club has been planning his departure at the end of the season from as far back as Xmas - the Corona virus has just brought it forward:
“Although Tommy still has a further two years of his contract to run, planning has been ongoing for some time between the board and Tommy in respect of the footballing side of the club."

Perhaps he just fancied a break from the game for a bit, esp if he felt he'd taken them as far as he could?

As for the NI job, I can't see them advertising/filling the vacancy for another couple of months (minimum) and even when they do, it could be a temporary appointment for the play-offs etc, depending on how the fixtures pan out.

By the time it comes around, Tommy might take it temporarily, or even feel sufficiently refreshed to fancy a crack at the job permanently?

Meanwhile he's been involved in the NI under-age set-up previously and of course Michael took him to Shamrock Rovers to be his gk coach. I suspect that Michael will have a strong say in the next permanent appointment (behind the scenes), so that might count for him? Otoh, Michael's also worked with Robinson and Baraclough, two others who've been touted for the job.

Personally, I'd be happy with whichever of those three Michael recommended, esp if there was a place found for Jimmy Nicholl in the new set-up, since he's done a great job as a go-between for the players and manager.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:41pm
Nice new Lingfield shirt, I'm sure somehow the chapel will get the blame in a few peoples mind. LOL

Edited by cardwizzard - 10 Jun 2020 at 7:42pm
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:10pm
What do people up there be thinking at all.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:25pm
I was looking at the Linfield Facebook page and no a mention of it.

Edited by horsebox - 10 Jun 2020 at 8:26pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I was looking at the Linfield Facebook page and no a mention of it.

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282283284285286 369>
  Share Topic