Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242243244245246 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

@Horsey: I probably agree with yr first point, but the crucial point is 'when' more than 'if'. There won't be UI until it has consistent support well over 50% in NI. Southern opinion will match that, but what they say now doesn't matter so much.

Getting Unionists to "buy in" might be possible in the short timetable you and Marti mention: alternatively it may take decades. There have been big shifts in opinion since 2016. Let's see how they're reflected in the May elections. Last time (GE 2017), scoreboard was Unionist 49%, Nationalist 41%, Others 10%. The change might be telling...

I doubt SF will lose initiative, not least because they will always be a bogeyman for Unionists.

Feighan and Richmond will likely be off the scene before the endgame and anyway are an eccentric minority. FG Partitionist # Unionist btw.

@Super Dave & D9-69: in a UI the GFA would be superseded. Arguably it already has been: the intent in 1998 was to prevent return to conflict, enshrine rights and get everyone to behave civilly to each other in Stormont. So that's about 1.5 out of 3 at best.

@InLikeFlynn: ex-NI might look like Hong Kong, but there are other possibilities- East Germany, say? Unionist lobbies ahead of any referendum are likely to talk up being stranded in a poor, isolated region of a UI.

Your Garda reference is interesting. In a way it's a cop-out- if the Irish State can't guarantee to police its extra citizens, why take them on? The PSNI still patrol Ardoyne or Creggan even if no-one there loves them/ is off their head on whatever 'spicier'...

What are you basing sweeping generalisations about life being horrible on? I was in Belfast last week- there's still a best-kep estate sign in Rathcoole, Ballysillan isn't visibly grottier than the tougher parts of Birmingham, Wolverhampton or Coventry near me.

I think I mentioned on here an RTE panel show last year where they discussed possible future urban geography of Ireland. Basically (and with apologies to the Western corridor), population and economy will be concentrated in a 'ribbon' megacity from Rosslare through Dublin up to Belfast. There might be a move northward simply because Dublin is too expensive to live/ work in, or if the Port area is rezoned for housing and Belfast gets more shipping. There'd be resistance to the idea, but on the other hand it probably would be in everyone's interest to revive Befast as a business hub.
Embarrassed
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:56am
Would Nordie Tayto disappear or would there be both?  I'd imagine they would only disappear with the consent of the majority in a referendum to go with a superior product.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Would Nordie Tayto disappear or would there be both?  I'd imagine they would only disappear with the consent of the majority in a referendum to go with a superior product.
You need to be very careful when eating the nordy tayto your accent can change
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm
I admire your certainty Senior, but it's contradicted by evidence. Those chants and worse have been around forever; plenty of Nationalist background players choose NI; even where evidence that they had 2 offers or were undecided. You are just assuming that everyone in a broad groups agrees with you 
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

@InLikeFlynn: ex-NI might look like Hong Kong, but there are other possibilities- East Germany, say? Unionist lobbies ahead of any referendum are likely to talk up being stranded in a poor, isolated region of a UI.

Your Garda reference is interesting. In a way it's a cop-out- if the Irish State can't guarantee to police its extra citizens, why take them on? The PSNI still patrol Ardoyne or Creggan even if no-one there loves them/ is off their head on whatever 'spicier'...

What are you basing sweeping generalisations about life being horrible on? I was in Belfast last week- there's still a best-kep estate sign in Rathcoole, Ballysillan isn't visibly grottier than the tougher parts of Birmingham, Wolverhampton or Coventry near me.

I'm not saying it's any better in Coventry or Birmingham. But it's fairly sh*t. Same as Ballymun, North inner city Dublin, Southhill in Limerick. All tough places to live. 

I've seen the news reports about paramilitary control in loyalist areas of Belfast. I've been round East Belfast recently. It isn't pretty beneath the arches. 

My point is that the loyalists have no reason to be loyal to any system in which they live the lives they do. And the nationalists in the Ardoyne and Twinbrook will still live a sub-normal life in the event of a united Ireland. Same as the people in Tallaght cheering on the boys in a bulldozer, ripping the Lidl open. I've seen idiots from those areas with tricolour tattoos. Worked with some in the past and they've professed their desire to die for their country. Christ knows how, maybe on UN peacekeeping. No different from the George cross idiots in England or flute band members in the North. 

The class war is so much more important than which set of gombeens govern us. Of course Nigel Dodds talks about "our precious union" when he's flying back and forth, sitting in the Commons, being paid handsomely. What is precious about the Union to the unemployed twenty year old without qualifications in a loyalist part of Antrim?

Regardless of why, I think the PSNI will outlive the current constitutional setup, and not having a car with an Irish word on the side will be a benefit of that arrangement. 

And I think you're bang on as to how Ireland will pan out economically. Jobs and people will leave Dublin and come North to avail of housing and skilled labour which exists in spades here, bit can't satisfy demand. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Martiponti Martiponti wrote:

A move away from Windsor Field would have been a step in the right direction, but the governing body was not too keen on that.
Really?

IFA 'backs Maze stadium' proposal

NI football authorities have voted in principle to support a new multi-sports stadium on the former Maze prison site.

The Irish Football Association met in Belfast after being told by Sports Minister David Hanson that he needed a decision before the end of January.

The government wants the 42,000 seater stadium to be used for major football, rugby and gaelic games.

IFA Chief Executive Howard Wells said the decision was in the best interests of football in the province.

Speaking after the meeting, he said: "Obviously we are trying to deliver things that are in the best interests of football.

"There is a lot of emotion. The real issue is that there is a period of time when we will have to work with the other sports and government to work out a business plan which suits football."

Councillors in Belfast had appealed to the IFA to defer its vote as they hope the stadium will be located in the city.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4630558.stm

(See also: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ifa-gives-backing-to-maze-stadium-proposal-1.768979 )

Fact is, of the 3 governing bodies, the IFA was by some way the most positive towards The Maze. For the GAA already had adequate stadia of their own, but if it was "free money", then why not?

Ulster Rugby already had Ravenhill (adequate for the time), plus the backing of the IRFU for future expansion.

Whereas the IFA were already on borrowed time with WP (overdue to be closed down for international football altogether), with no other hope of raising funds for a replacement unless from HMG.

[Btw, where do you get your information from? A fella down the pub? Or do you just imagine something in line with your own prejudices, then assert it as "fact"?]

Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 5:43am
Yeah. Got that wrong.It was the fans who didn't wanna leave.You're right about another thing too; the IFA is on borrowed time.HMG ain't gonna bail that out.There doesn't seem to be anyone around.I think you're alone now.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

A move away from Windsor Field would have been a step in the right direction, but the governing body was not too keen on that.
Really?

IFA 'backs Maze stadium' proposal

NI football authorities have voted in principle to support a new multi-sports stadium on the former Maze prison site.

The Irish Football Association met in Belfast after being told by Sports Minister David Hanson that he needed a decision before the end of January.

The government wants the 42,000 seater stadium to be used for major football, rugby and gaelic games.

IFA Chief Executive Howard Wells said the decision was in the best interests of football in the province.

Speaking after the meeting, he said: "Obviously we are trying to deliver things that are in the best interests of football.

"There is a lot of emotion. The real issue is that there is a period of time when we will have to work with the other sports and government to work out a business plan which suits football."

Councillors in Belfast had appealed to the IFA to defer its vote as they hope the stadium will be located in the city.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4630558.stm

(See also: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ifa-gives-backing-to-maze-stadium-proposal-1.768979 )

Fact is, of the 3 governing bodies, the IFA was by some way the most positive towards The Maze. For the GAA already had adequate stadia of their own, but if it was "free money", then why not?

Ulster Rugby already had Ravenhill (adequate for the time), plus the backing of the IRFU for future expansion.

Whereas the IFA were already on borrowed time with WP (overdue to be closed down for international football altogether), with no other hope of raising funds for a replacement unless from HMG.

[Btw, where do you get your information from? A fella down the pub? Or do you just imagine something in line with your own prejudices, then assert it as "fact"?]

The Bobby Sands Stand (No Concessions in this stand)
The George Best Royal Liver Insurance Stand (No alcohol sold here)
The TWELFTH man stand (only open in MARCH and JULY)
The Alex Higgnis Stand.  (Lots of queues to get in here though)

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 2:50pm

Yeah. Got that wrong.It was the fans who didn't wanna leave.
No, even that's not strictly true.

For as far as the fans were concerned, it was more that they didn't want to go to the Maze, than that they wanted to stay at Windsor (Linfield fans excepted. Obviously).

And the reason why they didn't want to go there wasn't really to do with the Hunger Striker bit (though that didn't help).

Rather it was because no-one wanted to go to a soulless bowl in the middle of a field outside Lisburn, with no public transport, one road in-and-out, no ancillary facilities nearby, and a crap atmosphere in a capacity which was far too big, with fans seated in stands which would have been miles from from the action for a football game played on a GAA-sized pitch.

But had someone come up with a "proper" football stadium elsewhere in Belfast, I'm sure that would have been preferable for many fans over a tarted up Windsor.

You're right about another thing too; the IFA is on borrowed time.HMG ain't gonna bail that out.There doesn't seem to be anyone around.I think you're alone now.
Actually, what I said was that Windsor/the stadium was on borrowed time.

Since it has been rebuilt, the IFA are fine with it, and are managing very nicely, thank you very much.

Unless, of course, you meant that Northern Ireland is on "borrowed time". In which case, that probably belongs in another section.

Either way, after yesterday's little fiasco in The Dail, I'd say the IFA has a whole lot more life left in it than the FAI! LOL

P.S. We don't really want the 26 back, we're grand as we are. Wink
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 9:30pm
IIIIIIttttts TIFFANY TIME!!!😛😛😛
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:55am

Linfield relishing new all-Ireland Cup: McGivern ...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/linfield/linfield...
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:10pm
Michael O'Neill is being linked with the West Brom job.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:58pm
The Nordies not won in their last seven away games and not scored in any of those matches.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:28pm
Could the Nordie wall have done better on the goal?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:30pm
is that the wall Trump was talking about during the week 
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:38pm
Bright start so far LOL

EDIT: perfectly valid second goal for Estonia disallowed Dead

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 08 Jun 2019 at 5:41pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Bright start so far LOL

EDIT: perfectly valid second goal for Estonia disallowed Dead
Really bizarre decision.  There wasn't even a hint of a foul.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

is that the wall Trump was talking about during the week 
 Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242243244245246 369>
  Share Topic