You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I find point 3 there very hard to believe, that people were ejected from the bar. As you say yourself in point 2 it serves a particular kind of clientele.
Just going by what the Belly Telly said.

And frankly these days, they're no great friend of the NI team.
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:49pm
A few people singing an offensive sectarian song in a bar makes the story a bit problematic.

The only thing that make it a football story is that they were wearing NI shirts and it took place on a match day. But really it is outside the remit of the IFA or UEFA and is a problem for society in general rather than a football one. There's no conclusive proof these individuals even attended the match.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

A few people singing an offensive sectarian song in a bar makes the story a bit problematic.

The only thing that make it a football story is that they were wearing NI shirts and it took place on a match day. But really it is outside the remit of the IFA or UEFA and is a problem for society in general rather than a football one.
Thank you.

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

There's no conclusive proof these individuals even attended the match.
Technically not, I suppose.

But if they've come from Castlederg and they're wearing NI tops in a bar in South Belfast on a Sunday when NI are playing, I think we must assume they were at the game.

But here's the thing. I was at the game (Estonia, too) and there was nothing like this to be heard at any stage. In fact, I've not met anyone who even knew the song previously. It seems that it is an import from a certain Scottish club (surprise, surprise).

Either way, it's disgusting, shameful behaviour, end of.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:43pm
There's a few neanderthals about, just like any fanbase. I've only had good experiences living in Belfast and being out and about on matchdays with friends of mine who support NI. 

Everyone walking into this particular bar would know what kinda spot they're walking into. When you have a bar like Laverys a 2 minute walk round the corner as an alternative and you choose this spot, like as has been said it's a particular clientele.

All the IFA can really do is condemn it and I think a good move would be to try and identify those singing and banning them from NI matches. But outside of that it's really difficult to do anything. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

LOL
El Puto Amo
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

I'm not offended. Feel sorry for them that they still sing about religion which is just one big fairy tale

Indeed, but they're not showing their religious prejudice by abusing atheists or humanists (although with encouragement and given enough Bucky, who knows?).

The conflict's clearly about nationality not religion, but as long as 85-90% of voters pick sides that are happy with the shorthand Prod/ Taig stereotype, the problem will endure.

Broadly what Terri says above. The Royal's an old man's pub for Rangers fans. It may have some newish matchday regulars since the Supporters Club round the corner closed. I had a pint there with my brother before our Korea game last year. Everyone well-behaved.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

I'm not offended. Feel sorry for them that they still sing about religion which is just one big fairy tale

Indeed, but they're not showing their religious prejudice by abusing atheists or humanists (although with encouragement and given enough Bucky, who knows?).

The conflict's clearly about nationality not religion, but as long as 85-90% of voters pick sides that are happy with the shorthand Prod/ Taig stereotype, the problem will endure.

Broadly what Terri says above. The Royal's an old man's pub for Rangers fans. It may have some newish matchday regulars since the Supporters Club round the corner closed. I had a pint there with my brother before our Korea game last year. Everyone well-behaved.

The chant is f**king daft. Makes me laugh more than get offended as a non practicing Roman Catholic. 

Tiffany turning in her grave. Actually is she even dead? 

I would hazard a guess that the wallys singin it are not bouncing out of the bed on a Sunday to help out the local vicar

Non practicing Protestant extremists - odd bunch.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

The chant is f**king daft. Makes me laugh more than get offended as a non practicing Roman Catholic. 

Tiffany turning in her grave. Actually is she even dead? 

I would hazard a guess that the wallys singin it are not bouncing out of the bed on a Sunday to help out the local vicar

Non practicing Protestant extremists - odd bunch.

No.She's only 47. Big smile
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:55pm

The song is a disgrace as are those singing it. 

I was at both games and have never heard the song before.  I didn't hear any singing at either game that could be considered sectarian. 

Both games were played in a noisy passionate atmosphere (Belarus in particular).  I really enjoyed both.  

bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I was at both games and have never heard the song before.  I didn't hear any singing at either game that could be considered sectarian. 

Both games were played in a noisy passionate atmosphere (Belarus in particular).  I really enjoyed both.  

The bouncey would be controversial enough
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:57pm
Our NoI friends looking to sweep this under the carpet as some sort of non issue, it's par with the mindset of a vast majority up there.

It's 2019 and this is being discussed within Unionism.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/exunionist-mp-open-to-review-of-orange-order-rules-on-catholic-services-37954771.html

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

So what the NI fans tried to say and whats been revealed:

It was in a bar nowhere near the stadium - nope it was in a popular watering hole for fans heading to Windsor

It was from years ago - it was Sunday night as San Marino v Scotland can be seen on the screens in the background

They're dregs of society - probably true

They're not real NI fans - a few of them have been tracked down on social media as as being from Castlederg (bogball was right), so unless they put on NI shirts and went up to Belfast for a Sunday night, i'd be pretty sure they're Northern Ireland fans heading to the match.

Who do you mean by "the NI fans"? All of us?

Anyhow, some facts might not go amiss.

1. Whether the bar is a mile from the ground or a hundred miles is neither here nor there (pun intended) - the IFA can hardly be expected to police, or answer for, what went on;
2. The bar in question is not on the main drag on the way to the ground, for supporters to just drop in as they pass. It is known for serving a particular kind of clientele, shall we say, and no-one who goes there is unaware of what that clientele may be like;
3. That said, the Belfast Telegraph is today reporting that:
"While it was a despicable spectacle it should be noted that the offenders - mostly young and drunk - were swiftly ejected from the bar and their behaviour was roundly condemned by other patrons.";
4. The IFA immediately issued a statement condemning it unreservedly, noting that if any of the offenders can be identified, they will be banned from NI games. (One club whose members were said to be involved also issued a statement condemning it, if that means anything);

Finally, a quick look at the OWC site shows that those NI fans, at any rate, unanimously condemn this disgusting display, without equivocation or qualification, inc wanting the scumbags involved to be banned for life.

The post which best sums it up was probably this one:

It's Groundhog Day every time one of these clips resurfaces. The usual outrage from people who have literally no interest in us having a successful cross-community team, but will feign it anyway so they can pretend this is what's putting them off.

Ultimately the pricks responsible are the pricks responsible, and I doubt they give two f**ks. It's beside the point, but there couldn't have been more than about 10 people singing the offending lyrics, which, by the way, date back a good 3-4 years but are mainly heard around the Twelfth.

Outside the stadium, I don't know what the IFA can do. A football association can't change decades of ingrained hatred, passed on by parents, fomented by separate schooling, segregated housing etc.

I couldn't give two f**ks about ROI fans sing this, Michael Conlan walks out to that, sure look at Paddy's Day blah blah blah whataboutery. I care about Northern Ireland and I wish these dicks would f**k off and let the rest of us just enjoy our days out.

It will never be a cross-community team till they ditch the anthem and union jacks and agree on something neutral something along the lines of what barry mcguigan did. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

We do the bouncy in Limerick.  Not to mind all the clubs in Italy.  
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:44pm

Is that a reference to Robert Hammill? For NI fans have been doing The Bouncy since before the poor man was murdered. We got it from Rangers, who themselves got it from other Scottish clubs, as far back as the 70's (or beyond?).

Or is it a reference to the new version that Rangers now sing ("If ye cannae do the Bouncy you're a Tim")? For if it is, you should note that not only do we not use those words, but we don't even use the same tune.

Either way you can file that one in the (long) list of lies about our team, such as that Windsor Park was named after the Royal Family, despite having been built 12 years before they even adopted the name. Confused

Edited by Territorial - 27 Mar 2019 at 10:45pm
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:44pm

Do they still shout no surrender during GSTQ?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm

Do they still shout no surrender during GSTQ?

Yes, every game 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by daveyc daveyc wrote:

It will never be a cross-community team till they ditch the anthem and union jacks and agree on something neutral something along the lines of what barry mcguigan did. 
I (and many other NI fans I know) would be delighted if they replaced GSTQ, but I guess the IFA feel that just now they could do without the sh*tstorm that would inevitably follow. 

As for the UJ, the IFA hasn't flown that for years. Nor is it illegal for fans to carry it and if a few still bring one to games, they are a small and decreasing minority. (The two most prominent are from Lambeg and Scarva, who have been bringing their flags for decades. They'll die some day)

Meanwhile, I imagine that when it comes to your team, the FAI considers itself to be an Association for all Irish people, regardless of background or community etc. 

In which case, may we expect them to drop the Tricolour and Soldiers Song, in order to make it genuinely "neutral" and inclusive of the whole of Ireland?

Edited by Territorial - 27 Mar 2019 at 10:55pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:55pm
LOL Yeah union jacks are that few at Windsor these days that you can actually narrow it down to just scarva and lambeg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 369>
  Share Topic