You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 184185186187188 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:08pm
Half and half scarf.
Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:09pm
"Steals our players"

Edited by Denis Irwin - 06 Feb 2018 at 7:40pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:32pm
Pretty much agree with what a lot was said above except for this bit.

1) Not giving a penny to an organisation that openly steals out players and treats us with such disdain.

The absolute hypocrisy of this post is beyond unbelievable.

OWC wanting to deny players the ability to make a decision for themselves.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Pretty much agree with what a lot was said above except for this bit.

1) Not giving a penny to an organisation that openly steals out players and treats us with such disdain.

The absolute hypocrisy of this post is beyond unbelievable.

OWC wanting to deny players the ability to make a decision for themselves.

I do and I don't agree with this bit in bold. 

As far as I'm concerned any players that qualify to play for N.I. are entitled to play for their country Ireland. The ROI team is the de-facto representation of this entire 32 county country. 

I do think Territorial/N.I. fans (and previously Floreat) have a legitimate grievance when a player who goes through the IFA's underage level structure only to declare for the ROI team at senior level. If you're intention is go play for the ROI team who you see as your country then don't use the IFA's underage level structure as a springboard and certainly don't turn around and criticize them for being non-inclusive or whatever other rubbish when they facilitated you in your football career. 

The half and half scarves comment was quality LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:21pm
Do they feel the same grievance when they steal players from other countries?

Alex Bruce being the obvious one but there are others too that escape me at the moment.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Do they feel the same grievance when they steal players from other countries?

Alex Bruce being the obvious one but there are others too that escape me at the moment.

Maik Taylor didn't even have any connections to the North at all FFS

Edited by Denis Irwin - 06 Feb 2018 at 9:23pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 11:00pm
Despite what Sammy Wilson thinks, Taigs are indeed rate payers! Public monies in the form of Taxes and grants are paid to the IFA (as they are to the GAA, Ulster Rugby etc)...That's why the 'stealing our players' argument holds no water for me
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:06am
Pathetic that there even needs to be a discussion about it really.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Irish MUFC Irish MUFC wrote:

I do think Territorial/N.I. fans (and previously Floreat) have a legitimate grievance when a player who goes through the IFA's underage level structure only to declare for the ROI team at senior level. If you're intention is go play for the ROI team who you see as your country then don't use the IFA's underage level structure as a springboard and certainly don't turn around and criticize them for being non-inclusive or whatever other rubbish when they facilitated you in your football career

Morning Mucker. I've never had a grievance on this- just mild irritation which has faded over time. I've no problem with guys from choosing you per se. The irritation follows if they've played for our u19 or u21 as you suggest. I think we can agree JMC with his antics is a special case. Even then I grudgingly admire him taking on the poppy fetish lobby over here ;)

But there'll always be bad feeling when 70%* of your fans/ wider public think our team should be abolished and a possibly higher share of ours gurn about player poaching

* poll for RTE, November 2017

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

I do
think Territorial/N.I. fans (and previously Floreat) have a
legitimate grievance when a player who goes through the IFA's
underage level structure only to declare for the ROI team at senior
level. If you're intention is go play for the ROI team who you see as
your country then don't use the IFA's underage level structure as a
springboard and certainly don't turn around and criticize them for
being non-inclusive or whatever other rubbish when they facilitated
you in your football career
<p ="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm">Morning Mucker. I've
never had a grievance on this- just mild irritation which has faded
over time. I've no problem with guys from choosing you per se. The
irritation follows if they've played for our u19 or u21 as you
suggest. I think we can agree JMC with his antics is a special case.
Even then I grudgingly admire him taking on the poppy fetish lobby
over here ;)

<p ="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm">But there'll always be
bad feeling when 70%* of your fans/ wider public think our team
should be abolished and a possibly higher share of ours gurn about
player poaching

<p ="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm">* poll for RTE,
November 2017

Your team will not be abolished. Your team will evolve, just like our own team.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:34am

I do think Territorial/N.I. fans (and previously Floreat) have a legitimate grievance when a player who goes through the IFA's underage level structure only to declare for the ROI team at senior level. If you're intention is go play for the ROI team who you see as your country then don't use the IFA's underage level structure as a springboard and certainly don't turn around and criticize them for being non-inclusive or whatever other rubbish when they facilitated you in your football career

Morning Mucker. I've never had a grievance on this- just mild irritation which has faded over time. I've no problem with guys from choosing you per se. The irritation follows if they've played for our u19 or u21 as you suggest. I think we can agree JMC with his antics is a special case. Even then I grudgingly admire him taking on the poppy fetish lobby over here ;)

But there'll always be bad feeling when 70%* of your fans/ wider public think our team should be abolished and a possibly higher share of ours gurn about player poaching

I do think McClean was wrong to represent N.I. at any level if all he wanted to play for was ROI. 

You do realize in this hypothetical (which'll never happen in our lifetimes anyway) that both the N.I. team and ROI team would be abolished in their current guises and one team would be formed. 

You make it sound like N.I. team would be abolished and there'd be nothing left but a big black hole and the current ROI team LOL
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

You do realize in this hypothetical (which'll never happen in our lifetimes anyway) that both the N.I. team and ROI team would be abolished in their current guises and one team would be formed. 

You make it sound like N.I. team would be abolished and there'd be nothing left but a big black hole and the current ROI team LOL
Would you be happy if eg a majority of Mancunians decided to merge City and United to form a single Manchester Combined FC?

Can't you see that your (hypothetical) single Irish team would mean the end of the team I have been supporting for nearly half a century?

Now it may be that your international team means so little to you that you would be happy to see it disappear, but I and 99% of my fellow NI fans aren't so inclined.

As for the formation of a new team to support instead, a single Irish international team appeals to us about the same as eg a single UK team i.e. not at all.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Would you be happy if eg a majority of Mancunians decided to merge City and United to form a single Manchester Combined FC?

Can't you see that your (hypothetical) single Irish team would mean the end of the team I have been supporting for nearly half a century?

Now it may be that your international team means so little to you that you would be happy to see it disappear, but I and 99% of my fellow NI fans aren't so inclined.

As for the formation of a new team to support instead, a single Irish international team appeals to us about the same as eg a single UK team i.e. not at all.

Daft comparison on both counts.

United and City are football clubs. 

England, Wales and Scotland are distinct nations under the one jurisdiction. People are primarily English, Scottish and Welsh before they're British as I am Irish primarily over being European. Team UK is a non-starter on that basis. 

There are currently two Irish international teams from the one nation/country. It's a logical aim to have one Irish team and FA representing and having jurisdiction of all 32 counties of our country no matter how should manifest as a reality on the ground (flags/anthems etc etc).

Northern Ireland as an appendage of colonialism should disappear from Ireland with 1 team representing our country.  

Edited by irishmufc - 07 Feb 2018 at 12:51pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:04pm

What percentage of the Northern Ireland population want a United Ireland soccer team? I'd say it's quite high... I'd not be surprised if it wasn't also over 50%. I had a look but couldn't find anything on google.

It's also not about abolishing the Northern Ireland team - it's about uniting the two teams. Jonny Evans, Chris Brunt and quite a few others would still get their game you know.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Daft comparison on both counts.

United and City are football clubs.
Why is it daft?  Leeds and Newcastle are each cities comparable to Manchester, and only have one professional club. Maybe it's just "daft" because you cannot conceive of the idea of having your team taken away from you. 

Except when it comes to your international team...

England, Wales and Scotland are distinct nations under the one jurisdiction. People are primarily English, Scottish and Welsh before they're British as I am Irish primarily over being European. Team UK is a non-starter on that basis. 

There are currently two Irish international teams from the one nation/country. It's a logical aim to have one Irish team and FA representing and having jurisdiction of all 32 counties of our country no matter how should manifest as a reality on the ground (flags/anthems etc etc).

Northern Ireland as an appendage of colonialism should disappear from Ireland with 1 team representing our country.
In over a century of organised, international football, there has never been an example of a recognised international team being formed from two separate political entities/jurisdictions, nor is there anything in FIFA's Statutes to allow for such a concept.

However, there are a number of examples of a single political entity/jurisdiction having more than one recognised international team - eg Denmark/Faroes; China/HK/Macao; UK/E-S-W-NI; Netherlands/Aruba/Curacao or USA/US Virgin Isles. Oh, and Gibraltar!

So your own personal political preferences and prejudices have absolutely no bearing on the real issue, that being that if the NI football team were to be subsumed into a larger entity, that entity could ONLY be the UK, and not some all-Ireland "nation/country" which only exists in your and your fellow Nationalists' imagination.

And as I frequently point out, I don't want to see my team disappear for either construct (or any other), even if you do.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:21pm
This friendly match will bring out loads of ****s that wouldn't go to watch a match normally. It is good to have the game though 

If possible we will try and organise a fans match, although we weren't allowed to have it the last time we played each other. The Gardai said, we have spoken to the IFA and they have said there are loads of trouble makers that will be playing the game, and once, one of them at 11 years old chased his friend with dog sh*t on a stick.

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:25pm
The CIS played in Euro '92. They were a recognised international team formed from multiple separate political entities and jurisdictions, some of which had violently split apart. So it has happened in the past, even if there was a particular reason for it then.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

What percentage of the Northern Ireland population want a United Ireland soccer team? I'd say it's quite high... I'd not be surprised if it wasn't also over 50%. I had a look but couldn't find anything on google

As I'm sure you realise, it depends on the question. Adding the qualifier "if both sides agree" would increase the positive response. Framing it as I do with explicit mention of the NI team disappearing would clearly reduce it. Not least because most people in Ireland like anywhere else have only a passing interest, not the obsession of talkboard regulars.

Quote It's also not about abolishing the Northern Ireland team - it's about uniting the two teams. Jonny Evans, Chris Brunt and quite a few others would still get their game you know

Our fans basically by definition don't want to unite with/ subsume into/ take over your team. This is obvious to the point of being self-evident. By refusing to accept it you are just arguing blind faith. It's telling that many others on the thread quickly tire of this and start droning on about colonialism and gerrymandering tiocfaidh ar blah blah  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 184185186187188 369>
  Share Topic