Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 354355356357358 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why do I need to go when I can see it on tv and hear the chanting from your fans?

Irrelevant how?  The O.O. and the TE team are of the same culture.   Don't you lot sing ''no surrender'' during the anthem?  I think the O.O. sing that as well do they not?

I could bang on about eg the add-ons from ROI fans during the FOA, or Balaclava McClean; or your WNT singing in praise of terrorism; or the homophobic Shane Duffy etc.

Or even the "culture" which as well as producing the ROI team also gave us eg the Catholic child abuse scandal, the Kinahan/Hutch organised crime epidemic, or the psychopathic murder machine which was the Provisional IRA.

But I don't, since it is just the same irrelevant garbage as you're coming out with above.

I was talking about the flags not being so welcoming for catholic/nationalist fans/players that you want to attract or so you claim. 

I mentioned the latest NI Youth squad earlier, with players from eg Derry City, Celtic, Cliftonville, even Dundalk(!), to demonstrate our success  in attracting players from every community. I mean, if its good enough for Stephen Kenny, Neil Lennon and Elisha McCallion to let their youngster line out for Northern Ireland, then it proves the progress we're making. While that same progress is happening with our support.

And as someone who has long campaigned, in a modest way, to further this process, I couldn't be happier.

Meantime, I shall leave the likes of you and Horsebox to wallow in the past (or at least your narrow, ignorant and prejudiced version of it).

This is exactly what you do. The amount of times you've brought up McClean and Duffy is unbelievable. Constantly dragging crap up from the past with your own deluded narrative.

You're an absolute hypocrite.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 3:18pm
More on  the future.

(In September, a 13 y.o. lad called Christopher Athertton made a substitute appearance for Glenavon's senior team in a Cup match. Naturally this attracted a lot of attention in the media, including a long article in The Athletic. Behind a paywall, here is an extract. CA's dad Stephen is a Celtic-supporting Scot who met CA's mum when he moved to NI, btw).

Meet Christopher Atherton, 13, the United Kingdom’s youngest ever senior footballer

(By Greg O'Keeffe, Sep 25, 2022)

“[Glenavon is] a cross-community club,” [Stephen] explains. “Christopher is from the Catholic tradition in Northern Ireland. There are separate schools, so he wouldn’t get to mix with many people from the other side, but Glenavon does a great job of bringing boys from all sides of the community together. It’s crucial in a post-conflict society.

“Some of his best friends now are Protestants and he wouldn’t have had that life experience if it wasn’t for this soccer club.”

Like Everton captain Seamus Coleman, Christopher has also grown up playing Gaelic football, shining as a full forward for his team Maghery. It is a sport that demands a robust approach.

“Gaelic cultivates bravery and character and he’s played that since four or five as well,” says Stephen. “He’s been knocked out twice playing that. It’s parish versus parish and it can be very parochial. Some games are like a bear-pit and the refs are worse than soccer refs.

“But this summer he had to make a decision and decided to concentrate on soccer.”

Clonmore, where the Atherton family live, does not have a soccer pitch. There is a chapel, a school, a small housing estate and a Gaelic football field. No pub, no shops.

Stephen told his son that he must practise every day, always using both feet, if he wanted to become a soccer player, so Christopher would diligently head for the only available pitch.

It is a sign of the times that the neighbours were nothing but supportive. In previous decades, it would have been frowned upon for a boy to play soccer, labelled a “garrison game” by Irish nationalists because of its popularity in towns where British soldiers were based, on a Gaelic field.

The past lends a poignant family symmetry to Christopher’s story. His maternal grandfather Eddie Moore was also a gifted Gaelic footballer and soccer player. He was considered to be a rising star at Glenavon in the 1960s, but his career at Mourneview Park ground to a premature halt, though, when he was subject to the infamous ban imposed by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) that forbade players from taking part in sports such a soccer and rugby.

“Given what happened to Christopher’s Granda when he was a young player, the story of last Tuesday night is one of hope,” says Stephen. “It’s about as-yet-unrealised potential, not only of my son’s footballing dreams and ambitions but of Northern Ireland as a society itself.”

This summer, Christopher had to make the difficult choice to forgo Gaelic football to play for Glenavon with his peers in the under-14s at the Super Cup (formerly known as the Milk Cup, a renowned international youth tournament that has featured a young Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney among others).

His goals helped Glenavon reach the final, where they were narrowly defeated by Charlton Athletic. Then, in August, he played in a friendly for a Northern Ireland development squad against a Chelsea side in August, creating three goals in a 5-3 win.

His step up in age group at international level will involve travelling with the under-16s for a tournament in Finland next month.

Northern Ireland’s gain may turn out to be the Republic’s loss. Christopher, who has an Irish passport, was on the pathway to represent the Republic of Ireland and impressed during Dublin trials in 2021, but the Northern Irish FA’s head of elite youth performance, Andy Waterworth, intervened and persuaded Stephen to bring Christopher to them.

Stephen speaks glowingly of Waterworth and his staff, who he says have helped develop Christopher at training in Belfast over the past year.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 6:03pm

More on  the future.

(In September, a 13 y.o. lad called Christopher Athertton made a substitute appearance for Glenavon's senior team in a Cup match. Naturally this attracted a lot of attention in the media, including a long article in The Athletic. Behind a paywall, here is an extract. CA's dad Stephen is a Celtic-supporting Scot who met CA's mum when he moved to NI, btw).

Meet Christopher Atherton, 13, the United Kingdom’s youngest ever senior footballer

(By Greg O'Keeffe, Sep 25, 2022)

“[Glenavon is] a cross-community club,” [Stephen] explains. “Christopher is from the Catholic tradition in Northern Ireland. There are separate schools, so he wouldn’t get to mix with many people from the other side, but Glenavon does a great job of bringing boys from all sides of the community together. It’s crucial in a post-conflict society.

“Some of his best friends now are Protestants and he wouldn’t have had that life experience if it wasn’t for this soccer club.”

Like Everton captain Seamus Coleman, Christopher has also grown up playing Gaelic football, shining as a full forward for his team Maghery. It is a sport that demands a robust approach.

“Gaelic cultivates bravery and character and he’s played that since four or five as well,” says Stephen. “He’s been knocked out twice playing that. It’s parish versus parish and it can be very parochial. Some games are like a bear-pit and the refs are worse than soccer refs.

“But this summer he had to make a decision and decided to concentrate on soccer.”

Clonmore, where the Atherton family live, does not have a soccer pitch. There is a chapel, a school, a small housing estate and a Gaelic football field. No pub, no shops.

Stephen told his son that he must practise every day, always using both feet, if he wanted to become a soccer player, so Christopher would diligently head for the only available pitch.

It is a sign of the times that the neighbours were nothing but supportive. In previous decades, it would have been frowned upon for a boy to play soccer, labelled a “garrison game” by Irish nationalists because of its popularity in towns where British soldiers were based, on a Gaelic field.

The past lends a poignant family symmetry to Christopher’s story. His maternal grandfather Eddie Moore was also a gifted Gaelic footballer and soccer player. He was considered to be a rising star at Glenavon in the 1960s, but his career at Mourneview Park ground to a premature halt, though, when he was subject to the infamous ban imposed by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) that forbade players from taking part in sports such a soccer and rugby.

“Given what happened to Christopher’s Granda when he was a young player, the story of last Tuesday night is one of hope,” says Stephen. “It’s about as-yet-unrealised potential, not only of my son’s footballing dreams and ambitions but of Northern Ireland as a society itself.”

This summer, Christopher had to make the difficult choice to forgo Gaelic football to play for Glenavon with his peers in the under-14s at the Super Cup (formerly known as the Milk Cup, a renowned international youth tournament that has featured a young Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney among others).

His goals helped Glenavon reach the final, where they were narrowly defeated by Charlton Athletic. Then, in August, he played in a friendly for a Northern Ireland development squad against a Chelsea side in August, creating three goals in a 5-3 win.

His step up in age group at international level will involve travelling with the under-16s for a tournament in Finland next month.

Northern Ireland’s gain may turn out to be the Republic’s loss. Christopher, who has an Irish passport, was on the pathway to represent the Republic of Ireland and impressed during Dublin trials in 2021, but the Northern Irish FA’s head of elite youth performance, Andy Waterworth, intervened and persuaded Stephen to bring Christopher to them.

Stephen speaks glowingly of Waterworth and his staff, who he says have helped develop Christopher at training in Belfast over the past year.

But will he enjoy standing to attention for God Save the King?
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Something tells me that if it ever comes to pass, he'll be a lot less bothered by it than you are. However* that works.

* - Maybe like eg Ulster Prods aren't bothered by standing for the Soldiers Song - twice - at Ireland rugby matches in the Aviva?  HTH
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 6:36pm
Terrence what sort of reception would an EIRE supporter receive in here.  Genuinely curious.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 6:39pm
Not sure if it was that one or this one I was outside.  Was there one near Shaftsbury Sq?

South belfast northern ireland hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:08pm

Terrence what sort of reception would an EIRE supporter receive in here.  Genuinely curious.

That's a bar, not the footbsll stadium, why would they want/need to go in there if they were up for the game?

Any more than NI fans in Dublin would want eg to visit Stokes' bar:

Had you any self-awareness, you'd know your desperation to be offended is embarrassing.

Edited by Territorial - 11 Nov 2022 at 7:11pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:16pm

Not sure if it was that one or this one I was outside.  Was there one near Shaftsbury Sq?

That one closed some time ago, once more exposing your ignorance.

Oh and btw, neither that bar or the other one has any connection, official or otherwise, with the IFA or NI team.

But keep googling - Im sure you'll fond something else to offend you.

P.S. How are the flashbacks these days? Still waking up screaming in the middle of the night from the memory of a few flags at a football match? LOL

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:18pm
Terrence this is not a game of Snap.    I was asking a genuine question.

If you are a 'moderate' God help us.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:25pm

Oh and btw, neither that bar or the other one has any connection, official or otherwise, with the IFA or NI team.

P.S. How are the flashbacks these days? Still waking up screaming in the middle of the night from the memory of a few flags at a football match? LOL

Oh terribly sorry your local closed down Terrence.  My sympathies.  I haven't been there for a few years.    

Neither one has any connection to the NI team 'official or otherwise' despite saying ''Northern Ireland Supporters Club'' on the outside?  That's a good one.

And the people who sing No Surrender during the anthem aren't fans either I presume?

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:26pm
Ffs
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:27pm
The South Belfast one in Shaftesbury Square, now closed, was relatively safe if you knew who was who. Though I recall a mate of mine getting a round of applause from the regulars once for throwing a particularly nasty old drunk down the stairs there. Said drunk was Billy Gill, now dead, who had served a life sentence for the “romper room” torture murder of a random Catholic he was party to in a back room of a pub in nearby Sandy Row. The one on the Shankill Road should be avoided at all costs. Like any other watering hole on the Shankill, to be honest. Like that pub ‘ The Slaughtered Lamb ‘ in ‘ An American Werewolf in London’, they can sniff out the non-locals in seconds.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:49pm

As did Stokes bar, many years ago…..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 9:41am

Something tells me that if it ever comes to pass, he'll be a lot less bothered by it than you are. However* that works.

* - Maybe like eg Ulster Prods aren't bothered by standing for the Soldiers Song - twice - at Ireland rugby matches in the Aviva?  HTH

GSTQ is not your national anthem whilst Amhrán na bhFiann has always been ours, so quite a big difference and the reality is that WP is a cold house for Nationalists - always has been and always will be.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 10:18am

It was on the Shankill and I'm pretty sure Drogheda fans were drinking there during the Setanta Cup.  

Edited by gspain - 12 Nov 2022 at 10:19am
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

It was on the Shankill and I'm pretty sure Drogheda fans were drinking there during the Setanta Cup.  
They all must have said they were called billy and lived near the boyne!
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

GSTQ is not your national anthem whilst Amhrán na bhFiann has always been ours, so quite a big difference and the reality is that WP is a cold house for Nationalists - always has been and always will be.

Territorial, can I ask, genuinely, why does Northern Ireland use God Save The Queen/King as it's national anthem?

Yes I know you are gonna say "I am British and God Save The Queen/King is the British national anthem."  But Scots use Scotland The Brave, and the Welsh use Land Of My Fathers for their anthems.  Are they any less British as a result?

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Territorial, can I ask, genuinely, why does Northern Ireland use God Save The Queen/King as it's national anthem?

Yes I know you are gonna say "I am British and God Save The Queen/King is the British national anthem."  But Scots use Scotland The Brave, and the Welsh use Land Of My Fathers for their anthems.  Are they any less British as a result?

What anthem was used before the split? 
Chips don't bounce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 354355356357358 369>
  Share Topic