You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 273274275276277 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

"We would all love to see the reaction of Scottish fans if they were told they had to have a united team with the English!Do me a favour. Not in my lifetime is that happening. It could be different with Ireland though. At a time when it is harder than ever for young players to make a breakthrough in the ranks in Ireland and play for a big team in England, having one Ireland team might be a sensible move at some point

First interesting thing Gerry 'Uncle Tom' Armstrong ever said. 

I'm sure the Unionist support base of N.I. football team will love that from the hero of Valencia LOL 

Those comments are illogical, since it is not the existence of two separate international teams which inhibits opportunities for youngsters in England. If anything, it works the other round, since the extra exposure draws attention to double the number of young prospects for GB clubs.

And there is no doubt that the club careers of players like Niall McGinn or Michael McGovern, who would never have good enough for an all-Ireland team, have benefited enormously from playing for NI. Add to that the way eg Michael O'Neill has been very assiduous in using his contacts in GB to get trials and contracts for young NI players looking to find their way in the pro game.

And in that context, we (IFA) approach, develop and select players from all parts of NI, and regardless of background, religion or politics etc, so all may benefit. (In that sense, we differ from eg the FAI, who only approach players from one community in NI.)

Anyhow, Big Gerry has always been a hero of ours, that won't change as a consequence of personal opinions like the above. Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:54pm
Territrollial whose opinion is always right and Narnia is a progressive inclusive society where as the big bad Republic is stuck in the dark ages picking lads who only go to mass or have the proclamation on the wall.

Why would EIRE ask players from working class black loyalist areas to play for us?   You claim you're a reasonably open minded T.E. fan yet would rather eat sh*te than have an all island team.  So why would The EIRE ask some lad who is probably more extreme than you?

But I am sure David Healy would have jumped at the chance to play for us. Was always his dream. And we are bigotted for not asking him before he was cruelly forced to play for T.E.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why would EIRE ask players from working class black loyalist areas to play for us? 
Who said anything about "working class black loyalists" [sic]?

Never heard of Rory Best? Or Graeme McDowell? Willie John McBride?

Though if you really want to mine those backgrounds, those of Derek Dougan, Bryan Hamilton and George Best were all as "black" as anyones and show the danger of crude stereotyping.

You claim you're a reasonably open minded T.E. fan yet would rather eat sh*te than have an all island team.  So why would The EIRE ask some lad who is probably more extreme than you?
It is quite simple. Though my views on the FAI have hardened since the Kearns/Eligibility row etc, I have nothing particularly against the ROI team, other than that the better they do, the more likely it is we'll lose players/support to them.

As for your supporters, I happily acknowledge that on the whole they are as good as any, indeed better than most.

But as for the team I support, whilst you may be happy to see the destruction of your team, I no more want to see an all Ireland team than I do an all UK team, since either would mean the abolition of the team I've followed for nearly half a century.

If you have any difficulty with that, just ask eg Bohs fans whether they'd like to merge with Shams to form "Dublin United FC", or Drogs fans whether they'd like to join with Dundalk to form "Louth County FC".

But I am sure David Healy would have jumped at the chance to play for us. Was always his dream. And we are bigotted for not asking him before he was cruelly forced to play for T.E.
There are two international teams in Ireland. The NI one develops and selects players from all communities.

And the ROI one ignores one fifth of its eligible population, on overtly political/sectarian grounds.

And we're the ones who get labelled "bigots".

You couldn't make it up...

Edited by Territorial - 03 Dec 2019 at 2:07pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Why would EIRE ask players from working class black loyalist areas to play for us? 

Though if you really want to mine those backgrounds, those of Derek Dougan, Bryan Hamilton and George Best were all as "black" as anyones and show the danger of crude stereotyping.

You claim you're a reasonably open minded T.E. fan yet would rather eat sh*te than have an all island team.  So why would The EIRE ask some lad who is probably more extreme than you?
It is quite simple. Though my views on the FAI have hardened since the Kearns/Eligibility row etc, I have nothing particularly against the ROI team, other than that the better they do, the more likely it is we'll lose players/support to them.

As for your supporters, I happily acknowledge that on the whole they are as good as any, indeed better than most.

But as for the team I support, whilst you may be happy to see the destruction of your team, I no more want to see an all Ireland team than I do an all UK team, since either would mean the abolition of the team I've followed for nearly half a century.

If you have any difficulty with that, just ask eg Bohs fans whether they'd like to merge with Shams to form "Dublin United FC", or Drogs fans whether they'd like to join with Dundalk to form "Louth County FC".

There are two international teams in Ireland. The NI one develops and selects players from all communities.

And the ROI one ignores one fifth of its eligible population, on overtly political/sectarian grounds.

And we're the ones who get labelled "bigots".

You couldn't make it up...

You're right about that.  You couldn't make it up.

Last time I checked these lads don't play football and are from more middle class backgrounds where people tend to be far less extreme in their views and are more open minded and generally above sectarianism and bigotry.

Your typical football player and fan tends to come from more working class backgrounds where views are more extreme.  I doubt lads growing up in working class loyalist estates are open to the idea of playing for the EIRE.  If you do then I'd say you are deluded.  They may do so if they had to as in if TE team and The EIRE was abolished but they wouldn't choose to do so. 

Us asking unionist/loyalist to play for us is basically asking why Bernard Matthews doesn't go asking turkeys if they would like to be cooked for Christmas FFS.  Are you seriously saying we didnt approach Kyle Lafferty because of religion?LOL

You nordies are a qware breed. Seriously.  You are a confused lot up there.  Very mixed up. Froth at the mouth of talk of an economic all island economy let alone a United Ireland yet froth at the mouth about not being approached to play for the EIRE! Its down to sectarianism!!.  Oh dearEmbarrassedConfused

This coming from the people that wouldn't let gays get married, or let women have abortions, or allow catholics have a fair opportunity for housing and jobs until a couple of decades back.   Do me a favour squire!

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:24pm

Last time I checked these lads don't play football and are from more middle class backgrounds where people tend to be far less extreme in their views and are more open minded and generally above sectarianism and bigotry.

Ah, the "Good Prods" then, middle-class so they're ok, it's the working class ones who are bigots. You know, like the three footballers I mentioned. (I might have cited other sportsmen, like Wayne McCullough or Carl Frampton, or is boxing middle-class, too?).

Your typical football player and fan tends to come from more working class backgrounds where views are more extreme.  I doubt lads growing up in working class loyalist estates are open to the idea of playing for the EIRE.  If you do then I'd say you are deluded.  They may do so if they had to as in if TE team and The EIRE was abolished but they wouldn't choose to do so. 

Us asking unionist/loyalist to play for us is basically asking why Bernard Matthews doesn't go asking turkeys if they would like to be cooked for Christmas FFS.  Are you seriously saying we didnt approach Kyle Lafferty because of religion?LOL

You nordies are a qware breed. Seriously.  You are a confused lot up there.  Very mixed up. Froth at the mouth of talk of an economic all island economy let alone a United Ireland yet froth at the mouth about not being approached to play for the EIRE! Its down to sectarianism!!.  Oh dearEmbarrassedConfused

This coming from the people that wouldn't let gays get married, or let women have abortions, or allow catholics have a fair opportunity for housing and jobs until a couple of decades back.   Do me a favour squire!
The whole point about sectarianism is that it relies on stereotyping selected groups of people on the basis of who they are supposed to be and what is ascribed to them by others, rather than who they actually are and what they actually think.

And the whole tenor of your posts on the subject does exactly that.

And without wishing to drag this into another rambling Themmuns and Ussuns bore-fest, one simple example shows just how ignorant and misrepresentative your claims are.

In the solidly Protestant working-class East Belfast constituency, the Alliance Party has regularly polled up to 40% of the vote in Westminster elections this century. Indeed, Naomi Long was elected in 2010, and could even get re-elected again later this month, odds-against though that is.

Whereas in solidly Catholic working-class West Belfast, Alliance had never got more than 2% of the vote - that's when they've bothered to field a candidate.

So which of the people in those constituencies is anti-abortion, anti-Gay rights, anti-equal opportunities etc?

As for Kyle Lafferty, it's a good job his (first) missus didn't decline to approach him on the basis of his religion. Otherwise he might never have married her. In St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church in Renfrewshire - one more example of how you don't actually know the first thing about such matters.

Instead you rely on crude, outdated, sectarian stereotypes to reinforce your narrative, which you then apply to every aspect of life in NI, including football.

You're better sticking to your Roy Keane parodies - no less fictional than your views on NI, but at least having the virtue of a kernel of truth and understanding behind them.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:28pm

Do you fancy your chances against Bosnia Terry? It's safe enough to say that they have better players than your boys but they are struggling at the minute. Should be tight enough. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Do you fancy your chances against Bosnia Terry? It's safe enough to say that they have better players than your boys but they are struggling at the minute. Should be tight enough. 

Yes I do, actually.

I can see why the bookies have them as favourites (fair enough) and home advantage is often critical in a one-off "cup tie" like this. And although he'll be 34 by then Dzeko is still scoring his share for Roma this season, so he could always decide it on his own.

But for all that, providing we get our share of the breaks we decidedly didn't get in our two NL games against them (or in our WC2018 p/o's against Switzerland), and we have all our own "big" players available, I see no reason why we can't do it.

I'm hoping that Bosnia's late change of manager might work in our favour - at least Michael will be up for it, which could be equally as decisive as Dzeko.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:50pm
Terrence, you are a confused man and are chasing your tail.

You come on here and claim we only approach catholics  because we are bigots (a load of BS) and then get offended when when themmuns make counter claims. You're a hpocrite and a blind one at that.

Secondly them lads you mentioned are already in all island sporting bodies. Golf, boxing, rugby have always been an all island team.  There was no choice to make.  So its not like they are good prods as you call them.

As for the waffle about Lafferty etc..  Just goes to show you how you nordies scrutinise religion so much that you know he married a Catholic.  Why would you know that or want to know that??  I haven't a scoobie what religion our players are nor couldn't give a toss because religion is a load of crap about sky fairies.

It just goes to show that even your so called genial nordie fan when you scratch the surface will show his true colours.   Can reeel off religions of all and sundry, his wife's religion etc etc..

As for my stance or the FAI's stance I am sure that anyone is welcome to play for us.   And if they do we won't be sending them bullets int he post neither.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:53pm

Yeah I can't see it being a thriller but I reckon Northern Ireland will shade it. It's a strange time to bring in a new manager. He's hardly going to be able to do much with the same group of players in the couple of days he has with them before the match. 
El Puto Amo
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm
S

Bigot.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:07pm

So which of the people in those constituencies is anti-abortion, anti-Gay rights, anti-equal opportunities etc?

Probably the ones who voted for the DUP?
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:12pm
AFAIK players born in the Occupied 6 must approach the FAI themselves if  they want to declare  for Ireland 
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:34pm

You come on here and claim we only approach catholics  because we are bigots (a load of BS) and then get offended when when themmuns make counter claims. You're a hpocrite and a blind one at that.

No, what I'm saying is that whatever image they choose for themselves, the practical effect of the FAI's "sure they wpuldn't want to play for us" recruitment policy is a sectarian one.

What would you have said if eg Harland & Wolff declined to advertise job vacancies in The Irish News because "Catholics wouldn't want to work for us in the East etc"?
Or the head of housing in Ballymena refused to consider Catholics for a council house on the basis that "They wouldn't want to live surrounded by Prods"?
Or indeed if the IFA decided not to bother running coaching camps in Derry or Newry, on the basis that "They're all ROI supporters round there"?

Secondly them lads you mentioned are already in all island sporting bodies. Golf, boxing, rugby have always been an all island team.  There was no choice to make.  So its not like they are good prods as you call them.

OK, then, we'll look instead to other sports like Rowing, Hockey and Athletics, where there is a choice. The Irish bodies overseeing those sports make no such distinction when it comes to recruitment etc, with (Prod/NI) participants sometimes switching between the British and Irish teams. (Cricket was the same, until Ireland acquired Test status).

As for the waffle about Lafferty etc..  Just goes to show you how you nordies scrutinise religion so much that you know he married a Catholic.  Why would you know that or want to know that??  I haven't a scoobie what religion our players are nor couldn't give a toss because religion is a load of crap about sky fairies.
How do I know about Lafferty? It was in all the papers, eg:

And it's on his wiki page:

As for my stance or the FAI's stance I am sure that anyone is welcome to play for us.   And if they do we won't be sending them bullets int he post neither.

Does that mean you blame the IFA, or the GAWA, for disgraceful episodes like that?

You might be careful about that, otherwise I could equally blame the FAI or BiG for eg Republicans threatening the SFA that they'd be attacked if they came to play in Belfast, so leading to our having to play all our "home" games in GB for 4 years.
Or for the Republican threat to shoot Mary Peters if she came back to NI with her Olympic gold medal.
Or the Republican threat to shoot George Best before a game in Newcastle.
Or the Republican threat which caused the RUC to issue Barry McGuigan with his own personal protection weapon.
Or indeed, the more recent sectarian attack on (ahem) Kyle Lafferty in Glasgow:

Of course, I deliberately said "could", because it would be entirely unfair of me, indeed bigoted, to blame the overwhelmingly decent people at the FAI or in the BiG for the actions of a few sectarian bigots, even if those bigots would classify themselves as "supporters" of the ROI team.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:56pm
At least the Nordies were fair minded about Neil Lennon. Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:21pm
So you would be in favour of us trying to poach your unionist background players then?   Ok I will get onto the FAI about it.  

Meanwhile you inform Jamie Bryson at the TE supporters club pub in Shaftesbury Sq.

By the way I am open to approaching TE fans that they are welcome to come and support the EIRE.

We even have a third of our flag dedicated to your tradition. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

S

Bigot.

I'm gonna mill you with a tennis ball next time I see you
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:12pm

So you would be in favour of us trying to poach your unionist background players then?   Ok I will get onto the FAI about it.  

Do what you want.

Meanwhile you inform Jamie Bryson at the TE supporters club pub in Shaftesbury Sq. 
The NISC bar on Shaftesbury Sq closed some time back.

So your transparent attempt to prove your in-depth, on-the-spot knowledge of our affairs fails. Again.

By the way I am open to approaching TE fans that they are welcome to come and support the EIRE.
I've long said, people may support whoever they like. Though I would prefer it if their reasons were based on knowledge and experience, rather than some of the crap that gets repeated about certain teams.

We even have a third of our flag dedicated to your tradition. 
Aw, shucks, that's nice.

And the Union Flag incorporates the Cross of St. Patrick - that's surely got to sell it to you

Meanwhile if ever I were to bother with taking some flag other than my usual green and white one to an NI football match, I'd probably opt for the one with the O'Neill Cross on it.

Well it's highly appropriate, isn't it?

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:22pm
Alan Kernaghan was 'poached' by the FAI. He was brought up in a staunchly Unionist area in Bangor.

We all know that that FAI approach or have been approached by players who have a realistic chance of playing for us.

Terry knows this but is being disingenuous about it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 273274275276277 369>
  Share Topic