Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 369>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

We cannot. We could be away to them in the final, however, if we both end up in the same playoff bracket and both win our semis.

We can also get them at home in SF, but not away in SF.
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:36am
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Nordies putting them under huge pressure. Germany resorting to Ireland style long ball and hope. Take notes Mick
Just shows you how good our tactics are when Germany copy them. 
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:05am
Terri is A.W.O.L.!   Anyone wanting to donate to the search and rescue should do so through #sashtaggofindme
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Martiponti Martiponti wrote:

Terri is A.W.O.L.!   Anyone wanting to donate to the search and rescue should do so through #sashtaggofindme

You're missing me already, aren't you? Wink

Anyhow, it was a cracking game with a terrific atmosphere, NI were excellent, going toe-to-toe with Germany and actually outplaying them somewhat in the first half.

The Germans re-organised at H-T, got a quick goal with a "worldie" of a finish and threatened to pummel us for the next 25 mins, before we re-grouped and give it another go to the end.

It was a shame they got a second in the dying seconds from a breakaway (Gnabry's 9th goal in 10 internationals), but heyho, we did ourselves proud.

I don't ask for anything more.

EDIT: If we can get a play-off, then on that form, we'll take on anyone - mark my words! Thumbs Up

Edited by Territorial - 11 Sep 2019 at 11:20am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:02pm
I think its been a bit over-rated how close the game was tbh.
Germany were the far better team, as you'd expect, and cut through NI many times. They created several chances in the first half with their final ball just being off or else they overdid it. At times early in the second half it was like attack v defence

NI did have two great chances and a penalty appeal that was rightly not given, but I think its going a bit far calling their performance brilliant as some have.

Who would NI's likely opponents in a play off be Terri, and what would they need to get one? I agree, they'd be very hard to beat against similar level opposition

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 11 Sep 2019 at 12:28pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:19pm
You really showed 'em.....period!
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:28pm

You really showed 'em.....period!
You poke the bear and he comes a running LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I think its been a bit over-rated how close the game was tbh.
Germany were the far better team, as you'd expect, and cut through NI many times. They created several chances in the first half with their final ball was just being off or else they overdid it. At times early in the second half it was like attack v defence

NI did have two great chances and a penalty appeal that was rightly not given, but I think its going a bit far calling their performance brilliant as some have.
Better, but not "far" better.

Here's what one German reporter wrote:

"It was all Northern Ireland in the first ten minutes, and it was only thanks to Manuel Neuer that Germany were not down a goal early. The German keeper denying Conor Washington in a one-v-one situation in the 7th minute. It took Germany until the 20-minute mark to finally somewhat settle into the game, and Timo Werner saw a shot blocked by Craig Cathcart.

Instead, Northern Ireland should have taken the lead when the ball fell to Washington inside the six-yard box, but the striker failed to tap the ball over the line. Overall, Northern Ireland took the headlines in the first half, the Boys in Green pressed Germany for all but ten minutes, and Die Mannschaft was somewhat lucky that the score was still 0-0 after 45 minutes.

Then almost straight from the kick-off, Germany should have taken the lead, but Lukas Klostermann’s close-range shot was denied by Bailey Peacock-Farrell. But just one minute later in the 47th minute, Klostermann’s RB Leipzig teammate Marcel Halstenberg was more clinical sending a fantastic volley across the line. Germany created further chances and Serge Gnabry (50′) as well as Timo Werner (53′) had chances to double the lead.

Die Mannschaft then were almost punished for their carelessness when Stuart Dallas missed the goal from just a few yards out in the 60th minute. Germany settled the game somewhat but at the same time newly brought on Kai Havertz failed to seal the deal with a header in the 69th and then with a tap-in in the 84th. As a result, the final minutes were a nailbiter for Germany’s traveling support until Serge Gnabry scored his ninth goal in his tenth appearance for Germany in extra-time."
https://www.fussballstadt.com/northern-ireland-v-germany-euro-2020-qualifiers-1920/

And here's what The Times (London) started off with:

Rattled Germans escape with a win over Northern Ireland

For much of this match it looked as though David would fell Goliath, but in the end, it was not to be. Backed by a vocal capacity crowd at Windsor Park, Northern Ireland, searching for a historic victory, were undone by a finish of the highest quality from Germany’s Marcel Halstenberg.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/rattled-germans-escape-with-a-win-over-northern-ireland-tz5mn26gt

And here's what Low had to say:

Low was impressed with Northern Ireland's performance and was happy to see the way his players adapted their performance to nullify the threat. "It was a very difficult 90 minutes against a Northern Ireland team that played very attacking football," he told a news conference.
"In the first half, it was very difficult for us because we were pressed very hard. We improved in the second half but it was a very difficult game and we're pleased to have won the match.
"They tried to break up our play and they found gaps, especially in the first half. After half-time, Northern Ireland played with more tempo and speed but we responded. In the first half, we gave them too much room. They're strong in the air and we have to adjust our game to this style of play.

Read more at: https://www.mykhel.com/football/joachim-low-relieved-new-look-germany-come-through-northern-ireland-test-126758.html

For me, what was important was not that we were the "better" team (we weren't), nor that Germany are a great team (they're not).

But we went out against a decent team with far superior players in every position, and played our own game, indeed took it to them.

That takes real self-confidence and assurance, and is a long way from former times when we could occasionally "give it a lash" one day and beat some big team, then play some minnow the next and get embarrassed.

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Who would NI's likely opponents in a play off be Terri, and what would they need to get one? I agree, they'd be very hard to beat against similar level opposition
Don't ask me, my head's melted with the format!

But someone was saying it could be Bosnia and Austria, which would be a repeat of our NL group, when we played very well, but got nothing.

Since then Bosnia have regressed (Djeko in decline?) and I still don't think Austria are up to much.

Either way, I'm sure our boys will have taken great confidence from recent performances, such that whoever we may come up against in a play-off, we'll be ready for them, that's for sure.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

You're missing me already, aren't you? Wink

Anyhow, it was a cracking game with a terrific atmosphere, NI were excellent, going toe-to-toe with Germany and actually outplaying them somewhat in the first half.

Agreed.

I've not seen too much of NI recently and I thought they were brilliant in the first half.

Wouldn't of been too keen on the bouncy for obvious reasons.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:11pm
Northern Ireland were very good in the first half. Impressive atmosphere too. I really liked the loud whistling throughout the German attacks,until they went 1-0 up which understandably killed it a bit. If they play up to that level in the play offs they'll be a handful for anyone. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I've not seen too much of NI recently and I thought they were brilliant in the first half.

The "obvious reason" being that you want to believe the malicious lie which has been put about to discredit it, despite the fact that it was sung by us before the dreadful murder that our detractors try to link it to. Indeed it had been sung for years previously in Scotland, and not just by you-know-who.

I guess it's a bit like the old one about  Windsor (built 1905) being named after the British Royal Family (changed their name in 1917) Confused
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:38pm

The "obvious reason" being that you want to believe the malicious lie which has been put about to discredit it, despite the fact that it was sung by us before the dreadful murder that our detractors try to link it to. Indeed it had been sung for years previously in Scotland, and not just by you-know-who.

I guess it's a bit like the old one about  Windsor (built 1905) being named after the British Royal Family (changed their name in 1917) Confused

I'm aware of the association with Robert Hamill and I've accepted your explanation that the NI fans were signing it before this unsavory incident happened.

I'm just a not fan of it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:26pm

What’s with the very audible “No Surrender” chants during the English National Anthrm?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:29pm

I'm aware of the association with Robert Hamill and I've accepted your explanation that the NI fans were signing it before this unsavory incident happened.

Fair enough, my apology herewith.

I'm just a not fan of it.

Oh well, takes all sorts.

I actually like it and others (kids esp) love it - brainless fun, I suppose, in a Will Grigg sort of a way. Visiting fans enjoy it, too.

Either way, it's 10000% better than the execrable Penny Arcade, which has been alleged to be a taunt by Rangers fans about some unnamed Catholic who was killed in an arcade or fairground one time, possibly in NI. Or maybe Scotland. Or something.

Anyhow, it has to be the worst thing Roy Orbison ever did by a country mile, and the day our lot start singing that sh*te at games is when I start lobbing stuff towards the Kop.

Edited by Territorial - 11 Sep 2019 at 2:30pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:34pm
You know, more I think about, NI really showed those German guys during the 26% possession they had during the game
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:37pm
I am no fan of Rangers, or Roy Orbison, but their singing of Penny Arcade has as much to do with someone dying as Celtic fans singing JCGE is to do with republicanism. Both were started by someone in the away support who liked singing them and that is it. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

What’s with the very audible “No Surrender” chants during the English National Anthrm?

Apparently some Ingurland fans have taken to chanting it during the anthem which they share with us.

Oh, you mean us?

Well that one's simple:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning

Fortunately it's still only a minority, though a couple of thousand Bucky-fuelled meatheads can still make an almighty racket.

I've grown immune to it, in fact, I was greatly pleased to note that there wasn't a single German bomber spotted anywhere on Monday evening, whether airborne or on the ground!

Small steps eh, small steps.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:43pm
Not sure if anyone else noticed but Zombie Nation was being belted out in Windsor Park the other night, found it rather funny because the PA at Celtic Park always plays it when they beat Rangers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 369>
  Share Topic