Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:06am
What complaints do you mean?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:44pm
O’Neill on his way to Hampden....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42034154
stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Be interesting to see if he takes it. Been a long time in the NI job, might decide for a fresh challenge
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Be interesting to see if he takes it. Been a long time in the NI job, might decide for a fresh challenge

Considering the best open to Coleman is the broke and bottom of championship Sunderland he might not have too many better options available to him.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Considering the best open to Coleman is the broke and bottom of championship Sunderland he might not have too many better options available to him.
Coleman has one good Euros under his belt and no more. He failed in every club job and made the top seeds miss out on the playoffs in a group that, due to Austria's mess, ended up being a three horse race. I think most club owners know that Coleman is inept, which is why he has ended up at Sunderland!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:35pm
I think there was a few similarities in both N.I. and our approach to our respective playoff opponents. Both delighted we drew the two weakest of the top seeds understandably.

Regarding N.I. I seen the Swiss's game against Portugal and they looked a team that accepted they'd lose. Any of the N.I.
lads think they may have slightly underestimated Switzerland in the first game? (Not neccessarily O'Neill himself but more in general terms amongst the support/media/players. I did myself tbh especially as the Swiss missed 2 important players.

I was surprised how much room they gave the Swiss in Belfast and was expecting N.I. to be more compact. The game seemed too open which suited a team like Switzer land rather than N.I.

We certainly underestimated the Danes after our result away. There was a hidden confidence we'd finish the job in Dublin by the odd goal (Not me I thought it would be a score draw knocking us out)

Swiss are an experienced team but didn't expect them to be that good with their passing and the compact atmosphere in Windsor didn't phase them. I thought they'd struggle a lot more.

Both lost opportunities to get to a world cup for both ROI and N.I. given how even the opponents were. Both were ultimately better but still beatable if we kept it as tight as possible irrespective of being home or away.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:41pm
Ni did keep it tight, for 180+ minutes. I've no real complaints about either the result or our tactics. We could have been more expansive at home but risked losing 2 or 3 and the tie being effectively over. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Ni did keep it tight, for 180+ minutes. I've no real complaints about either the result or our tactics. We could have been more expansive at home but risked losing 2 or 3 and the tie being effectively over. 

More expansive?

If anything I thought N.I.'s undoing was that they were they were too loose at the start and may have expected Switzerland to sit in more and take the sting out of the game given the atmosphere.

Switzerland were obviously the better team despite the tie-deciding decision.

I appreciate O'Neill may have wanted to take a more attacking approach to knick a goal to take to Basel. Always easy to he wise after the event but I think there may have been a bit of 'Switzerland were there for the taking' in the build up to the game.

Edited by irishmufc - 21 Nov 2017 at 7:10pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Individual players that we didnt think were up to it at the time. Very small concerns in the context of the quality of the squad at large.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Individual players that we didnt think were up to it at the time. Very small concerns in the context of the quality of the squad at large.

I was only just turned 10 back then, so wasn't privy to these debates .
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 3:35pm

More expansive?

If anything I thought N.I.'s undoing was that they were they were too loose at the start and may have expected Switzerland to sit in more and take the sting out of the game given the atmosphere.

I appreciate O'Neill may have wanted to take a more attacking approach to knick a goal to take to Basel. Always easy to he wise after the event but I think there may have been a bit of 'Switzerland were there for the taking' in the build up to the game.

I was pretty sure before the Belfast game that Michael's overriding priority would be to avoid conceding, then hope to nick a goal or two from a breakaway or set-piece - just as he did expertly in the 2-0 home win over Czech Republic.

Which meant he was always going to be cautious, at least to start with. This became even more pronounced when he experienced personnel problems before the game. Our best/most creative midfielder, Steven Davis, had a significant injury scare in training, so was a doubt. Which meant that Michael couldn't risk picking both him AND another attacking midfielder, Jamie Ward in the same starting line-up, since Ward had had so little game time with Forest, therefore his fitness was suspect too.

It then got worse six minutes in when Schar nearly broke Stuart Dallas's leg with a filthy tackle*, which was to have further consequences. Dallas is usually an attacking winger, but he is also useful in defending, and I've no doubt he was detailed to watch Shaquiri, whom the Swiss use as an inverted winger on Stuart's side of the field.

But the tackle restricted his mobility, it stiffened up at H-T and Michael was forced to substitute him soon after the restart. Meanwhile, Shaquiri frequently dominated us with the ball.

As a result of these factors, I would guess that Michael's emphasis on not conceding hardened during the course of the game, since I'm sure he also believed that even if the Swiss are/were a better side than us, they still weren't good enough to overwhelm us in Basel. Which meant that if we could go there even on 0-0, then we would still be well in with a chance. Which is how it turned out going there an away goal down.

Oh well.

* - The penalty award actually deflected attention away from the Dallas foul, for which Schar only received a Yellow - a decision arguably as bad as the penalty, since it was a Red all day long.

Edited by Territorial - 22 Nov 2017 at 3:39pm
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:21pm
Disagree on yr last point Terri. The Corry penalty was a bad decision, the Schaar booking rather than dismissal marginal.

The timing was possibly significant. After 60 minutes rather than six he was more likely to walk, if only because he might well have committed other fouls for the referee to consider.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:24pm
Brian Kerr is to be the new nordie manager according to reports

Edited by Trap junior - 22 Nov 2017 at 4:25pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Brian Kerr is to be the new nordie manager according to reports

What kind of bait are you using, TJ ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 5:30pm
Master bait?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 5:36pm
Both Kerr's parents are from Belfast.
Not sure what part though.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

More expansive?

I was pretty sure before the Belfast game that Michael's overriding priority would be to avoid conceding, then hope to nick a goal or two from a breakaway or set-piece - just as he did expertly in the 2-0 home win over Czech Republic.

Which meant he was always going to be cautious, at least to start with. This became even more pronounced when he experienced personnel problems before the game. Our best/most creative midfielder, Steven Davis, had a significant injury scare in training, so was a doubt. Which meant that Michael couldn't risk picking both him AND another attacking midfielder, Jamie Ward in the same starting line-up, since Ward had had so little game time with Forest, therefore his fitness was suspect too.

It then got worse six minutes in when Schar nearly broke Stuart Dallas's leg with a filthy tackle*, which was to have further consequences. Dallas is usually an attacking winger, but he is also useful in defending, and I've no doubt he was detailed to watch Shaquiri, whom the Swiss use as an inverted winger on Stuart's side of the field.

But the tackle restricted his mobility, it stiffened up at H-T and Michael was forced to substitute him soon after the restart. Meanwhile, Shaquiri frequently dominated us with the ball.

As a result of these factors, I would guess that Michael's emphasis on not conceding hardened during the course of the game, since I'm sure he also believed that even if the Swiss are/were a better side than us, they still weren't good enough to overwhelm us in Basel. Which meant that if we could go there even on 0-0, then we would still be well in with a chance. Which is how it turned out going there an away goal down.

Oh well.

* - The penalty award actually deflected attention away from the Dallas foul, for which Schar only received a Yellow - a decision arguably as bad as the penalty, since it was a Red all day long.

I take your point over Dallas. Was puzzled why Shakiri was getting so much joy down that side and being able to cut in so easily without N.I. doubling up on him.

I do think the tackle was a yellow. It would be different if both studs were off the floor and he wasn't in control of his body. It is a yellow card (just about) as he was going for the ball and it was mistimed but could've been a red given the pace he flew into him at.

Funny thing is if he snapped Dallas's leg he'd have probably got a red.

I wasn't expecting the Swiss to pummel N.I. in Basel and the poor pitch conditions actually suit your lot more IMO. I knew N.I. would hang in as long as possible in Basel and the Swiss looked a nervous team despite creating a couple of chances they really should've put away.

If the result was 0-0 from the first leg, you'd have seen a more dominant Swiss display IMO in the second leg but you got that nervous showing from them as they had something to protect.

Edited by irishmufc - 22 Nov 2017 at 6:57pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:20pm

I take your point over Dallas. Was puzzled why Shakiri was getting so much joy down that side and being able to cut in so easily without N.I. doubling up on him.
The Dallas injury was one part of it, but there's another aspect, too.

These days many teams are content to allow wingers to receive the ball out wide, without committing too many players to them. This is especially so when they have dominant CB's who are good in the air, like NI.

The theory being that even if he does go down the line, he still has to cross the ball in, where a good well-drilled defence will deal with it. And this is especially so should the opposition lack a decent No.9 to get on the end of crosses, as Switzerland patently did.

Which is why when the Swiss midfield, defence even, sent long, sweeping passes out wide to Shaquiri, Brunt refused to get drawn early out to close him down. For not only had Shaquiri the skill to outwit Brunt, but if/when  he did cut inside, NI had plenty of bodies in  the crucial area* in front of the goal, to smother them, or block their efforts.

Which is why for all that the Swiss had overwhelming possession in Belfast, and 16 attempts(!), McGovern actually only had two saves to make in the entire game, with one of those a "dolly". (Granted the Swiss had a few good chances which they put off target; then again, it is known that they lack a decent finisher as we saw in Basel as well)

* - This is where this "Expected Goals" mullarkey comes into play.

I do think the tackle was a yellow. It would be different if both studs were off the floor and he wasn't in control of his body. It is a yellow card (just about) as he was going for the ball and it was mistimed but could've been a red given the pace he flew into him at.

Funny thing is if he snapped Dallas's leg he'd have probably got a red.
Fair enough. I didn't think it so bad at the time (opposite part of the field), but when I saw the replay I was very angry.

I wasn't expecting the Swiss to pummel N.I. in Basel and the poor pitch conditions actually suit your lot more IMO. I knew N.I. would hang in as long as possible in Basel and the Swiss looked a nervous team despite creating a couple of chances they really should've put away.

If the result was 0-0 from the first leg, you'd have seen a more dominant Swiss display IMO in the second leg but you got that nervous showing from them as they had something to protect.
You say "nervous from having something to protect", but how much more nervous would they have been at 0-0 and knowing an away goal for NI at any time could scupper them? (They don't score two against many teams, never minjd a defensive one like ours).

If Shaquiri's pre-Basel comment about "enjoying the party" was anything to go by, I'd say they were suffering from over-confidence, which they realised was misplaced as NI got at them, in the second half at least.

Oh well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 369>
  Share Topic