FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 356357358359360 369>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:34pm
Players born in the territory of NI playing for us, this cannot be separated from the history no matter how you cut it. If most of Ireland considered was unionist, and a nationalist Republic made up of a minority of the country was created, which some of its unionist population felt no connection to, then they should be able to consider themselves belonging to the unionist state. However it has happened the other way around. Many NI fans see this as unfair but what would be even more unfair is denying these players the citizenship they have a right to, and to play for their national team. Simple as that. it works one way due to the way history has panned out. Northern Ireland the team does not represent me as a Dublin man obviously. But the republic team can represent those in Belfast who wish for it to. Nobody is being made to support or play for anyone.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 16 Jun 2015 at 8:37pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Sponsored Links

Irish Duke View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:27pm
People in the 26 counties need to take their heads out of their behinds regarding the 6 counties. Most have never set foot in the North so how could someone have an opinion on life there.  People in the 6 counties should do likewise as they never rarely set foot in the South. There is peace now thank heavens so lets build on the peace not the past.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

The Northern Ireland football team were involved in collusion?
Oh god yes.

And Sammy McIlroy caused The Famine!    

And Bobby Sands dies in it

Serious question though.

What are your thoughts on NI born players opting to play for the Republic?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by JD & Coke JD & Coke wrote:

Im sure some of their fans know a thing or 2 about it , or their fathers or uncles.
And that would stand up in any Court of Law you care to mention!

So you're right, it was me planted all those bombs and shot all those people. I did it at half time, when no-one else was looking.

Meanwhile, no ROI fan could so much as pick Gerry Adams out of an identity parade of one...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:20pm

Oh god yes.

And Sammy McIlroy caused The Famine!    

Edited by Territorial - 16 Jun 2015 at 7:20pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:16pm

Territorial , would the North fan base consist of even 10% Nationalist ?
Well it all depends by what you mean by "support".

That is, there are supporters who never miss a game, ones who will go occasionally (maybe with a mate), ones who might go but can't (for whatever reason) and those who don't actually go to games but "support" on TV etc. [And there may be a few who supported us when we played England, though I believe rather more may actually have supported the hated oppressor over us, barmy as that seems!]

Obviously I have no way of knowing the breakdown, but there was an academic survey done a while back (turn of the century?) which revealed that 9% of the attendances at NI games were from the Nationalist community.

This roughly coincided with my own guess.

As for the present, with the political situation having eased somewhat since then, the demographics of the stadium environs having changed and the fortunes of the team taking an upturn etc, I suspect the present percentage must be at least as high. (The whole Darron Gibson/Eligibility row having cooled may also reduce tensions, whilst the Neil Lennon thing becomes more distant, too.)

As for the future, I am cautiously hopeful that the percentage can be improved upon. For one thing, the continued good work of the IFA's "Football For All" programme can only help, as does the involvement of Michael O'Neill and Jim Magilton etc.

And if younger people in NI should ever distance themselves from politics (both sides) the way they do elsewhere, then maybe fewer will automatically associate their politics with football the way many do in NI.

And without meaning to accuse people of being "band waggoners", it must have been easier for potential NI fans in the 90's and 00's to drop any affection they had for the team when we were crap, and transfer to ROI when you were flying (esp kids).

So that if the cycle should turn back in our favour, as it usually does, then we may be the ones picking up support from all quarters for a while, whilst ROI spends a period in the doldrums.

(Indulge me on that last one - to be a genuine NI fan, you've got to be a bit of an optimist!)

Edited by Territorial - 16 Jun 2015 at 7:17pm
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Why do you think there was a civil war in this country if not for the creation of Northern Ireland?

Eh ? there was civil war over the treaty specifically the oath of allegiance and the lack of a republic, the north was an afterthought though to be fair both sides thought it was only a matter of time that the 6 were returned

The issue of partitionism was part of the Treaty NR and not as much an afterthought as you're trying to imply. I do agree that both sides as in the British Government and Irish probably thought it was a matter of time.

The debates in the dail were almost exclusively over the oath and a republic not the lost 6 and thus it is disingenuous to suggest the civil war was over NI

And by both sides I meant both sides in the civil war not Irish British

Edited by Newryrep - 16 Jun 2015 at 7:03pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 6:48pm

What?!

First of all the name of the team is Northern Ireland, a British statelet in Ireland.This is a matter of fact not opinion. They are representing Northern Ireland.
They represent the IFA and are called "Northern Ireland", just as your team represents the FAI and are called "Republic of Ireland".

Trying to pin the ills of NI (political) upon the NI team (footballing) is simply not rational or reasonable.

You really should try to get out of that little bubble of yours whereby you seem to see everything through the prism of your political preferences and prejudices.

It's a football team we're talking about here, no more, no less.

I've never really had any negative experiences if any anytime I've been in Northern Ireland.
Then why are you so hostile to the NI football team?
You don't have to support it, you don't have to play for it, and it doesn't impinge upon your team in any way (even though yours does so upon ours).

I reserve my scorn for people like Tom Elliot, Jim Allistersauros, Gregory Campbell etc etc.
Tbh, I'm not too keen upon them myself (understatement!), but wtf have they got to do with the NI football team?

Why do you bring them into this thread?

I mean, the NI Sports Minister, Sinn Fein's Caral ni Chuilin, recently mentioned that she's rooting for the ROI team, but so what?

I'm in no way anglophobic or anti British. My favourite music, club team,comedies,writers etc etc are mostly British. I'm anti British colonialism whether it's in this country or abroad.
Fine [bold]

But why do you appear to think the NI football team is some sort of instrument of British colonialism?

Being anti Unionist is a pitiful disagreement, it's not personal or sectarian as you are deliberately trying to paint me as. I'm neither Catholic or Protestant and I'm no less Irish for it.

It's the usual tunnel vision Unionists like yourself employ in arguments such as this.
I'm not in the least bit interested in your politics. (and you really have no idea about mine, btw).

But I have to wonder about the thought processes that cause you to jump from a mere mention of the NI football team to this diatribe, with scarcely pause to draw breath:
"My take on the whole Northern Ireland football team. It's nothing personal against the fans, players and the manager.
I wouldn't support any Irishman that wants to play for a supplanted British statelet on this Island. What good has the statelet of Northern Ireland brought apart from the turmoil of the civil war and the later troubles. Thousands of people killed.
The problem with our Irish Unionist chums is they'll always be prepared condemn murderous acts committed by the IRA without trying to address the root causes behind them.
Northern Ireland as a British statelet should be consigned to the history book. Sadly it won't be in our lifetime and we've to live with partition."

Bizarre.

It's the usual tunnel vision Unionists like yourself employ in arguments such as this.
Er, you are the one posting history lessons and expressing political opinions.

All I've done is stand up for my football team, and its right to compete in the European Championships....

Oh well.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:59pm

Gonna be a miserable summer for the ra heads next year. Most people will be cheering on the North whilst they will be filled with anger, on the outer reaches of society, trying to argue to people on why you should hate people.

And it'll be a great summer for the Conor Cruise O'Brien of ybig.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:38pm
Don't bother JD&C..most don't reply to his look at me posts anymore. 
JD & Coke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD & Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:35pm
Im sure some of their fans know a thing or 2 about it , or their fathers or uncles.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:31pm

Landon maybe you should watch that programe that was on RTE 1 last night and see if you will cheer them on then next summer.

JD & Coke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD & Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:29pm
Landon maybe you should watch that programe that was on RTE 1 last night and see if you will cheer them on then next summer.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Why do you think there was a civil war in this country if not for the creation of Northern Ireland?

Eh ? there was civil war over the treaty specifically the oath of allegiance and the lack of a republic, the north was an afterthought though to be fair both sides thought it was only a matter of time that the 6 were returned

The issue of partitionism was part of the Treaty NR and not as much an afterthought as you're trying to imply. I do agree that both sides as in the British Government and Irish probably thought it was a matter of time.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:25pm
Gonna be a miserable summer for the ra heads next year. Most people will be cheering on the North whilst they will be filled with anger, on the outer reaches of society, trying to argue to people on why you should hate people.
JD & Coke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD & Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:24pm
Territorial , would the North fan base consist of even 10% Nationalist ?
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

My take on the whole Northern Ireland football team. It's nothing personal against the fans, players and the manager.

I wouldn't support any Irishman that wants to play for a supplanted British statelet on this Island. What good has the statelet of Northern Ireland brought apart from the turmoil of the civil war and the later troubles. Thousands of people killed.

The problem with our Irish Unionist chums is they'll always be prepared condemn murderous acts committed by the IRA without trying to address the root causes behind them.

Northern Ireland as a British statelet should be consigned to the history book. Sadly it won't be in our lifetime and we've to live with partition.
Two points.

First of all, you don't have to "support" anyone - there are no Eligibility criteria for fans, just players.

And second, those of your fellow Irishmen whom you scorn (though not "personally", aye, like f**k), are not playing for "a supplanted British statelet etc", they're representing the Irish Football Association.

As for the rest of your post, it is just another anti-Prod, anti-Unionist, anti-Brit rant, which has nothing to do with the NI football team and adds nothing to the debate.

So seeing as this is a football forum, why don't you get back to supporting your British footballing favourites in Manchester....

What?!

First of all the name of the team is Northern Ireland, a British statelet in Ireland.This is a matter of fact not opinion. They are representing Northern Ireland.

I've never really had any negative experiences if any anytime I've been in Northern Ireland. I reserve my scorn for people like Tom Elliot, Jim Allistersauros, Gregory Campbell etc etc.

I'm in no way anglophobic or anti British. My favourite music, club team,comedies,writers etc etc are mostly British. I'm anti British colonialism whether it's in this country or abroad.

Being anti Unionist is a pitiful disagreement, it's not personal or sectarian as you are deliberately trying to paint me as. I'm neither Catholic or Protestant and I'm no less Irish for it.

Edited by irishmufc - 16 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 356357358359360 369>
  Share Topic