FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 369>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Irish Duke View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by Irish Duke Irish Duke wrote:

The truth is Dublin broke away when there was an all-Ireland team to for their own and now we have two teams. It was a stupid thing to do in fairness.
It wasn't a stupid thing to do at the time as there was a strong feeling of preferential treatment given to clubs in Ulster.

Don't we have the same problem with the Dublin District Leagues running the youths with other counties not getting a look in?
Sponsored Links

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Like our illusions/delusions on the greatness of our football history we are the same in our political history. It is also quite remarkable that in our rabid anti-britishness 99% of our revoluntary leaders including Gerry Adams are of british stock. Our two best managers were british as well. We are a contradiction and a hugely ironic people indeed.

True.
Your average RA head doesnt know that Robert Emmett and Wolfe Tone were Protestants.

Sam Maguire too.
  I get what you say but being a protestant has nothing to do with a persons nationality or ethnicity. Those men were proud Irishmen living in Ireland.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:43pm

The truth is Dublin broke away when there was an all-Ireland team to for their own and now we have two teams. It was a stupid thing to do in fairness.
It wasn't a stupid thing to do at the time as there was a strong feeling of preferential treatment given to clubs in Ulster.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:41pm

Like our illusions/delusions on the greatness of our football history we are the same in our political history. It is also quite remarkable that in our rabid anti-britishness 99% of our revoluntary leaders including Gerry Adams are of british stock. Our two best managers were british as well. We are a contradiction and a hugely ironic people indeed.

True.
Your average RA head doesnt know that Robert Emmett and Wolfe Tone were Protestants.

Sam Maguire too.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:10pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:05pm
Yet De Valera executed more republicans than the british ever did?   De Valera accepted the oath to the King when he was elected into power in 1927. Collins was a traitor who sold out his own people in the 6 counties and was ordered by Churchill to put down republicans with artillary supplied by the british army. Yet these two fine Irishmen are still looked on with Godlike status in the South, and De Valera was half cuban. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Why do you think there was a civil war in this country if not for the creation of Northern Ireland?

Eh ? there was civil war over the treaty specifically the oath of allegiance and the lack of a republic, the north was an afterthought though to be fair both sides thought it was only a matter of time that the 6 were returned

The issue of partitionism was part of the Treaty NR and not as much an afterthought as you're trying to imply. I do agree that both sides as in the British Government and Irish probably thought it was a matter of time.

The debates in the dail were almost exclusively over the oath and a republic not the lost 6 and thus it is disingenuous to suggest the civil war was over NI

And by both sides I meant both sides in the civil war not Irish British

NR I'm well aware of the causes of the civil war bit partitionism was a part of the negotiations. Do you think there's no correlation whatsoever between the created state of N.I. and the civil war? Come on now.

Even if we had the 26 county Republic and not having to take an oath, do you think De Valera and the anti treaty aside would gave accepted that entirely. There still would have been some type of violent resistance imo.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:52pm
The fact is we had a one team Ireland football team but some people in dublin pulled away and formed their own Association creating two teams on the island.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

What?!

First of all the name of the team is Northern Ireland, a British statelet in Ireland.This is a matter of fact not opinion. They are representing Northern Ireland.
They represent the IFA and are called "Northern Ireland", just as your team represents the FAI and are called "Republic of Ireland".

Trying to pin the ills of NI (political) upon the NI team (footballing) is simply not rational or reasonable.

You really should try to get out of that little bubble of yours whereby you seem to see everything through the prism of your political preferences and prejudices.

It's a football team we're talking about here, no more, no less.

I've never really had any negative experiences if any anytime I've been in Northern Ireland.
Then why are you so hostile to the NI football team?
You don't have to support it, you don't have to play for it, and it doesn't impinge upon your team in any way (even though yours does so upon ours).

I reserve my scorn for people like Tom Elliot, Jim Allistersauros, Gregory Campbell etc etc.
Tbh, I'm not too keen upon them myself (understatement!), but wtf have they got to do with the NI football team?

Why do you bring them into this thread?

I mean, the NI Sports Minister, Sinn Fein's Caral ni Chuilin, recently mentioned that she's rooting for the ROI team, but so what?

I'm in no way anglophobic or anti British. My favourite music, club team,comedies,writers etc etc are mostly British. I'm anti British colonialism whether it's in this country or abroad.
Fine [bold]

But why do you appear to think the NI football team is some sort of instrument of British colonialism?

Being anti Unionist is a pitiful disagreement, it's not personal or sectarian as you are deliberately trying to paint me as. I'm neither Catholic or Protestant and I'm no less Irish for it.

It's the usual tunnel vision Unionists like yourself employ in arguments such as this.
I'm not in the least bit interested in your politics. (and you really have no idea about mine, btw).

But I have to wonder about the thought processes that cause you to jump from a mere mention of the NI football team to this diatribe, with scarcely pause to draw breath:
"My take on the whole Northern Ireland football team. It's nothing personal against the fans, players and the manager.
I wouldn't support any Irishman that wants to play for a supplanted British statelet on this Island. What good has the statelet of Northern Ireland brought apart from the turmoil of the civil war and the later troubles. Thousands of people killed.
The problem with our Irish Unionist chums is they'll always be prepared condemn murderous acts committed by the IRA without trying to address the root causes behind them.
Northern Ireland as a British statelet should be consigned to the history book. Sadly it won't be in our lifetime and we've to live with partition."

Bizarre.

It's the usual tunnel vision Unionists like yourself employ in arguments such as this.
Er, you are the one posting history lessons and expressing political opinions.

All I've done is stand up for my football team, and its right to compete in the European Championships....

Oh well.

I would never want to give legitimacy to a British statelet's football team in this country as I don't believe it should exist as a political entity.

This is a political view, not a personal one against the fans,players or manager.

How is that difficult for you to understand?

There should be one team in this country which encompasses every corner of this Island including the statelet you live in.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:15pm
Michael has N.I. playing well as a team and there is a good spirit and optimism in the side. Created chances against Romania saturday and are playing to a plan and players playing out of their skins. If they make it to France they will have deserved it for those traits alone.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:09pm
I've never really paid much attention to the team tbh Territorial so don't know who's been in the starting XI's, who's playing well this campaign? I know Lafferty is in a rich vein of form, how has Stephen Davis done? Thought he had a great season with Southampton. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:05pm
Cark?
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:05pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

The most annoying type of fan on the island though is the rural muck savage from the likes of Mayo or Cark (usually a Fine Gael Indo reader) who tries to make you feel like a sectarian bigot for supporting Ireland.

Nearly as bad as the urban west-brit with his head up his arse.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:45pm
The most annoying type of fan on the island though is the rural muck savage from the likes of Mayo or Cark (usually a Fine Gael Indo reader) who tries to make you feel like a sectarian bigot for supporting Ireland.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:42pm
Anyone born on the Island is Irish regardless of religion,colour or creed. No borders or politicians or laws can alter that fact. We have Irishmen choosing the ROI as their country to play for and we have Irishmen of both religions choosing N.I. as their country to play for.  It is down to an individuals choice now.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:39pm
And your lot have qualified for nothing yet btw.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:37pm
Being from the north I wouldn't say 10% support NI where I'm from. It is strange as supporting them was never really a consideration. I now have NI supporting mates and in laws and have always liked Belfast based players as we're from the same town but it genuinely delighted me when they were terrible. Nothing sectarian too it either it is just the nature of a sporting rivalry.

One point I must address re "mediocre performances under Trapp and Martin" We were having a ball in Poland under Trapp when you NI boys were having sh*t wet holidays in Portrush not too long ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 369>
  Share Topic