We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 353354355356357 369>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 11:23pm
Territorial was being quite reasonable until tonight...he's now thrown on the jackboot and started dictating what we (Ireland fan's in the north) are.

Must have a few mid week beers in him.
Sponsored Links

eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

the nordies are lucky to be allowed play international football. Same with the english, scotch and welsh. Regional administrative areas are not nations. They should never have been let into FIFA unless they were going to compete as Britain.

It's laughable listening to people representing a plantation trying to dictate to free people what constitutes a national identity.

Wrong. You're confusing nations with states. The Kurds, Basques, Welsh, Scottish, English, Tibetans are all nations. It has nothing to do with the jurisdiction/state rule you happen to be under.

TC is confused, no doubt, but in trying to distinguish "nations" with "states", you are missing the point.

FIFA is not the United Nations or the EU - it recognises National Football Associations, which it purports to treat exactly equally.

Yet in the case of the IFA, we find that it is (uniquely) inequably treated, due to the combination of a clumsily drafted rule and the Republic of Ireland's idiosyncratically and politically-motivated citizenship laws.

Politically motivated citizenship laws??? That's one way of putting it... I suppose.... If you have absolutely no grasp of history or if you arrived from Mars just today.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:03pm

But all these regions you're talking about aren't statelets in other countries. All the Balkan countries have their own states. It's not like Serbia has a statelet within Croatia or Spain has a statelet within the Basque region which isn't a recognised state.
(Leaving aside your contrived, unrecognised and insulting use of the term "statelet") You are quite simply wrong about that.
There are any number of ethnic enclaves eg in the various Balkan states, many of them self-governing, where the (majority) population found itself on the wrong side of the border when the firing stopped. Many of their inhabitants would only play for their ancestral countries, but unless born before the break-up of Yugoslavia, may only do so if they can point to a parent or grandparent born in their preferred Association's territory.

So I repeat, there is no other part of the world whereby people born within its territory may freely choose to play for two Associations, without also meeting FIFA's normal residential or ancestral criteria.

Therefore it is the IFA which is uniquely placed, not the Nationalist population of NI.

The Ukraine is probably a better comparison as Crimea was Russian originally and I'm not sure but Eastern Ukraine may have been without googling it. The huge ethnic Russian population in Ukraine should definitely have the right to play for Russia.
Why? [bold].

On what grounds should eg ethnic Russians, who have been in Ukraine for generations, suddenly be allowed to choose to play for eg the Russian Football Federation? How "Russian" do they have to be? Language? Religion? Food & Drink? Music & Culture? Both sides of the family or just one? One quarter, eighth, sixteenth? How far back? Parents, Grandparents or beyond?

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of ethnic/nationalistic/religious/linguistic groups who find themselves within the border of a nation state which they do not "recognise", often as a result of historic relocation, banishment or invasion etc, and by your principle, they should be allowed to play for some other Association because they want to?

You might as well rip up the Rulebook and just let everyone play for whoever the hell they like.

The Kurds don't have a state so you cannot compare the situation to an Island with two national football associations.
And the ethnic Russians fighting in Eastern Ukraine don't have a state either. Some of them want to join Russia, others want their own State. Would you distinguish between them, or let them all play for Russia "because they want to".

And as for your second part, there are other islands with two Associations on them.

But there are none where people in one part may play for either, but people in the other may only play for one.

I didn't create the English language so it's not my fault Northern Ireland is a British statelet in Ireland our country.

These enclaves you're talking about are regions within recognised states with one football association. They are not the same as Northern Ireland which has a football association.

I'll put it this way. If there was a Serbian statelet in Croatia then Croatians in that foreign ruled statelet should have the right to play for Croatia.

Personally I think all nations should have their own countries, states and football associations. Kurds,Basques etc etc.

There are parts of Ukraine that was originally Russia. Ireland was never part of Britain apart from being under colonial rule. That's the difference between the Ukraine and our situation.

I do think though the situation should go both ways in that if an Irish Unionist from the Republic wishes to declare for N.I. football team, then they should be permitted too. I'd rather there was no N.I. football team but while the current situation exists, tolerance has to work both ways.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 6:57pm

the nordies are lucky to be allowed play international football. Same with the english, scotch and welsh. Regional administrative areas are not nations. They should never have been let into FIFA unless they were going to compete as Britain.
I don't want a United Kingdom team any more than I want a United Ireland one - I am quite happy with the Northern Ireland team.

But all I want is for my Association to be treated exactly the same as every one of the other 207 Member Associations of FIFA.

It's laughable listening to people representing a plantation trying to dictate to free people what constitutes a national identity.
The IFA is not "dictating" to anyone what their national identity should be. Which is why eg many of our players have an Irish passport only.

Instead, we are just trying to operate an international football team on the same basis as every other Association, but being denied that privilege.

And it was this which the CAS recognised as "unfair".

Territorial take your head for a sh*t, please. Spouting out your nonsense trying to look smart, the reality is any nationalist good enough to play for Ireland will play for Ireland. What nationalist on your team would get into I dare say top 40? 

0. Thats how many. 

Your association if they had their way would prevent players playing for their nation. Ireland, so no yous' shouldn't be treated fairly. Who the hell are the IFA to tell any player they have to play for a country they don't believe in? 

The rule will change when there is a 32 county Ireland ruled from Dublin.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 5:59pm

Wrong. You're confusing nations with states. The Kurds, Basques, Welsh, Scottish, English, Tibetans are all nations. It has nothing to do with the jurisdiction/state rule you happen to be under.

TC is confused, no doubt, but in trying to distinguish "nations" with "states", you are missing the point.

FIFA is not the United Nations or the EU - it recognises National Football Associations, which it purports to treat exactly equally.

Yet in the case of the IFA, we find that it is (uniquely) inequably treated, due to the combination of a clumsily drafted rule and the Republic of Ireland's idiosyncratically and politically-motivated citizenship laws.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 5:54pm

I don't want a United Kingdom team any more than I want a United Ireland one - I am quite happy with the Northern Ireland team.

But all I want is for my Association to be treated exactly the same as every one of the other 207 Member Associations of FIFA.

The IFA is not "dictating" to anyone what their national identity should be. Which is why eg many of our players have an Irish passport only.

Instead, we are just trying to operate an international football team on the same basis as every other Association, but being denied that privilege.

And it was this which the CAS recognised as "unfair".

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 5:44pm

But all these regions you're talking about aren't statelets in other countries. All the Balkan countries have their own states. It's not like Serbia has a statelet within Croatia or Spain has a statelet within the Basque region which isn't a recognised state.
(Leaving aside your contrived, unrecognised and insulting use of the term "statelet") You are quite simply wrong about that.
There are any number of ethnic enclaves eg in the various Balkan states, many of them self-governing, where the (majority) population found itself on the wrong side of the border when the firing stopped. Many of their inhabitants would only play for their ancestral countries, but unless born before the break-up of Yugoslavia, may only do so if they can point to a parent or grandparent born in their preferred Association's territory.

So I repeat, there is no other part of the world whereby people born within its territory may freely choose to play for two Associations, without also meeting FIFA's normal residential or ancestral criteria.

Therefore it is the IFA which is uniquely placed, not the Nationalist population of NI.

The Ukraine is probably a better comparison as Crimea was Russian originally and I'm not sure but Eastern Ukraine may have been without googling it. The huge ethnic Russian population in Ukraine should definitely have the right to play for Russia.
Why? [bold].

On what grounds should eg ethnic Russians, who have been in Ukraine for generations, suddenly be allowed to choose to play for eg the Russian Football Federation? How "Russian" do they have to be? Language? Religion? Food & Drink? Music & Culture? Both sides of the family or just one? One quarter, eighth, sixteenth? How far back? Parents, Grandparents or beyond?

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of ethnic/nationalistic/religious/linguistic groups who find themselves within the border of a nation state which they do not "recognise", often as a result of historic relocation, banishment or invasion etc, and by your principle, they should be allowed to play for some other Association because they want to?

You might as well rip up the Rulebook and just let everyone play for whoever the hell they like.

The Kurds don't have a state so you cannot compare the situation to an Island with two national football associations.
And the ethnic Russians fighting in Eastern Ukraine don't have a state either. Some of them want to join Russia, others want their own State. Would you distinguish between them, or let them all play for Russia "because they want to".

And as for your second part, there are other islands with two Associations on them.

But there are none where people in one part may play for either, but people in the other may only play for one.

Edited by Territorial - 17 Jun 2015 at 5:46pm
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 4:58pm

Should we kick the Americans out too?  The Mayflower didn't leave Plymouth until about ten years after the plantation started. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 4:43pm

Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 4:21pm

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 4:15pm

The problem is Territorial our situation is unique. You have a huge percentage of people in Northern Ireland that identify with the Republic and consider themselves from Ireland. Obviously we feel the ROI team represents the entire Island.

I don't think there's any other political situation in other parts of the world that can really compare with ours.
"Unique"?

Have you never heard of eg Crimea*, Eastern Ukraine, Transdniestra, Ingushetia or Chechnya (to name just a few disputed "Russian" territories)?

The Uighurs? Burmese Rohinghi? Muslim Philippino separatists? Kashmiris? Syrian Kurds, Turkish Kurds, Iraqi Kurds? Tibetans? Basques?

Or half the people living in the Balkans?

The fact is, there are hundreds of disputed territories around the world, where whole populations - sometimes a majority - find themselves living in a jurisdiction which they do not want or recognise.

But if they want to play football for an Association other than in whose territory they were born, then they either have to go and live in that territory, or have a parent/grandparent who was born there.

Unlike NI's Nationalists...

* - http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/04/soccer-uefa-crimea-idUKL3N0TO4OY20141204

I can understand peoples resentment on some level where players could be seen to take advantage of Northern Ireland's underage football facility and knowingly going to declare for the Republic when they turn senior.
I really don't want to get involved in a long drawn-out discussion of who did what etc, but I have no doubt whatever that there have been players* who have cynically used the IFA for their own ends, before opting for the ROI when the time suited.

Or do you not believe that professional footballers could stoop to such tactics?

At least in the past, players could not switch after their 21st birthday, or if they had already been capped in a senior friendly, but those restrictions were lifted at the behest essentially of African Associations, who wanted greater access to their diaspora in Europe.

* - We won't mention Jack Grealish

I don't know the ins and outs of some of the standout cases if a player deliberately did that or that they just felt there would be a backlash declaring for the underage Republic squads while still living in N.I. and staying in school.
There have already been a number who have played for ROI at under-age, with no sign whatever of a "backlash".

In fact, considering where many of them live, there'd likely be a greater backlash if they were to play for NI!

For me the players are playing for their country and the ROI team are the representative football team of our country.
As I indicated above, I'm sure if you asked the Kurds, Kosovans, Cossacks and Kashmiris etc, they'd all say something similar.

And be turned down...

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Have to ask but are theses 2 latest halfwit gobshoites JD and coke and Irish duke another figment of an already present poster (posters) imagination, surely there cannot be that many fckin clowns logging in to this site

Who knows Doc, you'd think they would both just stop registering new accounts every time one gets suspended and just f**k off, absolute t**sers.

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:57pm
Come on Faroes, take out the Nordies please.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Have to ask but are theses 2 latest halfwit gobshoites JD and coke and Irish duke another figment of an already present poster (posters) imagination, surely there cannot be that many fckin clowns logging in to this site

Another 2 in the Rovers Bohs megathread as well
I was just thinking the exact same Dennis LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:49pm

Another 2 in the Rovers Bohs megathread as well

Edited by Denis Irwin - 17 Jun 2015 at 3:50pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:33pm

Edited by DUBLIN DOC - 17 Jun 2015 at 3:34pm
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:25pm
Territorial i would say its because, being from the north, i am Irish and have no identity with being british or that culture in any shape or form.

Im heavily involved in the GAA and have been since a child and so is my entire family and community. Theres nothing British in my life or way of life. I have only even know the soldiers song and the tri-colour as my flag. This wasnt forced onto me as a child, i could have easily had no interest in the GAA and Irish culture if I had of wanted but its who my father was and what he loved. Incidentally my parents have never voted for Sinn Fein in their lives nor are republican minded in the slightest. I own an irish passport and have/will never own a British one.

Most nationalists see the norths football team as a unionist/British identity and have no affinity with it whatsoever. The fans of the norths team are from unionist/loyalist areas and have a cultural affinity with the 12th, bands, parades, bonfires, the queen etc. something of which nationalists dont and its hard to seperate the two. You see it on the flags the fans bring. Sat past there was one with the rangers crest, a recent away game a 'support the troops' one, away game in Estonia one with 'No Surrender' on it, each one has things like '--------- Loyal' on them. 

No nationalist would want to be part of that. You shouldn't be surprised when they chose to play for ireland and not the north.

put em under pressure!
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by JD & Coke JD & Coke wrote:

We could get to the Rugby world cup final and not have our anthem played because of a few prods from the North.

f**k off

Trapnoclue lasting a fair while on his latest profile I see

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 353354355356357 369>
  Share Topic