We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 369>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:23pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How can you retire from club football to extend your intenational career? How does that work?
Don't know but trust me, anything is possible with that big galoot Lafferty! LOL

For as I always say, "From the neck down, he's got total ability, but from the neck up, he's a total liability..." Wink

Edited by Territorial - 29 Mar 2017 at 5:56pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

I have to say I admire the North. They have quite a very average set of players but they give everything they have got.

Because it's a mirror image of our side?  Wink
We do indeed have a very average set of players, but under Michael, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

As for the "mirror image", whilst you clearly have much greater strength in depth, were we to pick a combined team (I know, I know Wink), I honestly think we'd get five players in on quality - McAuley, Evans, Cathcart, Brunt and Davis - and if Shane Long were unavailable, Conor Washington shouldn't be too far away either, the way he's going.

(This time two years ago, Big Kyle Lafferty would have been a shoo-in, Long or no, but he has deteriorated horribly, to the extent that he can't even get in our team.)

I didn't mean that sarcastically it was pointing out how similar the two teams are now. There's not much between the two if truth be told.

It would be a sensational achievement if both teams qualified for the world cup. N.I. won't win their group but would have a great chance in a playoff but there'll be lads on here writing them off based on what they want to happen as opposed to looking their their massive improvement since 2014.

Czech's won't fancy going to Belfast needing to win.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:46am
I was only half-joking. Laugherty hasn't started a single ECL game for Norwich this season.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How can you retire from club football to extend your intenational career? How does that work?

Odd one alright
Chips don't bounce
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:32am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:28am
Terri and other veteran readers will remember that back in 1973 there was a friendly to mark EEC expansion (Denmark, Ireland and Britain v the rest). Maybe something similar in reverse to follow next year Smile

Over the last three years many on here have underestimated our team for two broad reasons, viz

a) historically we're usually mediocre (in WC 2014 qualifying completely pants), so anytime that we suggest improvement, it must be because the other teams are all utterrubbish

b) wishful thinking- the players/ fans/ politicians/ wider opinion are largely a bunch of (y)bigots, so inevitably they'll get the comeuppance...

In reality, both teams have an almost identical overall record since 2014, with a similar combination of one strong and one relatively weak group. It's obviously harder this time when only first place guarantees progress, so while I don't expect us to qualify we have a good chance of making the play-off, and then who knows?

Skimming through here, your fans seem to include both a lot of super-optimists (expecting to qualify with a game to spare), and even more convoluted pessimists agonising about whether Iceland or Sweden get through to a play-off seeding. Surely you should be somewhere between those extremes, the group is winnable if you see off Austria and Serbia at home?

Adding to Terri above, big Laff has retired from club football to extend his international career...

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 29 Mar 2017 at 9:47am
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I have to say I admire the North. They have quite a very average set of players but they give everything they have got.

We do indeed have a very average set of players, but under Michael, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

As for the "mirror image", whilst you clearly have much greater strength in depth, were we to pick a combined team (I know, I know Wink), I honestly think we'd get five players in on quality - McAuley, Evans, Cathcart, Brunt and Davis - and if Shane Long were unavailable, Conor Washington shouldn't be too far away either, the way he's going.

(This time two years ago, Big Kyle Lafferty would have been a shoo-in, Long or no, but he has deteriorated horribly, to the extent that he can't even get in our team.)

Come on, say it. As regards the numbers I agree you'd have a good case for all five players named.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:33am

Edited by Territorial - 29 Mar 2017 at 12:39am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:19am

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:14pm
I fancied them strongly to win last night
They're consistent especially at home against teams near or slightly below them in the rankings
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Norway were swatted away like a Germany or Spain would do to a side like that.  It was impressive in that it was so easy and comfortable. 

Those wishing to draw them in the playoffs may need to be careful what they wish for.  

Nice tribute to Ryan McBride.

I'd take Northern Ireland over Italy or Portugal.

Anyway I don't think any Ireland fan should be thinking of a play off at this stage with top spot up for grabs.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:16am
Norway were swatted away like a Germany or Spain would do to a side like that.  It was impressive in that it was so easy and comfortable. 

Those wishing to draw them in the playoffs may need to be careful what they wish for.  

Nice tribute to Ryan McBride.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:17am
@Conormac77

Give the devil his due. That was a great win for them in a potential bananaskin and I think they're definite favourites for second place in that group.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 6:48am
The only way is up
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:19am
The North play to their strengths, O'Neill is a very intelligent manager clearly.

They're strong in defence arguably better then us with their defensive partnership, pack it with Cathcart it's nearly impossible to break down and hope to catch you from a set piece or counter attack, the addition of Washington plays to that strength in particular.

In saying that, they'd still be one of the sides if were second I'd prefer us to get. Okay, it would be nasty affair on and off the pitch in sections but it would be better then a lot of other teams.

They just can't grow on me, seeing Israel flags this evening in the stadium for example. Shear number of Union Jacks. Large sections of their support just haven't moved on.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Would O'Neill leave in the Summer for someone like a Leicester ? that win tonight puts them in a great playoff position (how they're doing it with that dogsh*t group of players in a mystery) .....but would he go with just a couple games to go.....a job like Leicester won't come around often to him

To answer your question about them sitting in a play-off spot with that group of players...the qualifying group group is also dogsh*t!

Remember, the Czechs are a shadow of the side they had a decade ago ie no players like Nedved, Rosicky, Baros etc and Norway have recently sacked their manager while the fact that NI were able to thrash Azerbaijan 4-0 tells you all you need to know about them.

For the 2nd campaign in a row, NI have been lucky enough to be drawn in a group full of equally ordinary sides. Would have been interesting to see how they would have got in, say, group A...
I think you are doing them a disservice there, they are consistently beating teams around them and below them and any team that shows weakness gets beaten at Windsor. I was only flicking in and out of their game but they knew Norway are vulnerable at the moment and went out and attacked and got the early goal. Now admittedly Norway are no great shakes but the reality is there are very really few good teams in European qualifying; the only other group that I think the North would have had no hope of a playoff from is Group G.
As for their MON leaving them I would very much doubt it would be to a club like Leicester. They are foreign owned and nouveau riche with a brand to be built on the back of last year's title, MON doesn't suit their image. They will want somebody more marketable and with a media profile like Mancini, even though MON would probably be a better fit there. 
I also don't think he will go, no matter what he achieves with them over the rest of the campaign he will have overachieved, he can only enhance his reputation. I think if he wants to manage in the EPL he might have to take a team up. I also wouldn't be surprised if slighly 'bigger' international teams wouldn't like to have him, Scotland were already linked. I think any nation that can afford a few bob and is underachieving would like him.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Would O'Neill leave in the Summer for someone like a Leicester ? that win tonight puts them in a great playoff position (how they're doing it with that dogsh*t group of players in a mystery) .....but would he go with just a couple games to go.....a job like Leicester won't come around often to him

To answer your question about them sitting in a play-off spot with that group of players...the qualifying group group is also dogsh*t!

Remember, the Czechs are a shadow of the side they had a decade ago ie no players like Nedved, Rosicky, Baros etc and Norway have recently sacked their manager while the fact that NI were able to thrash Azerbaijan 4-0 tells you all you need to know about them.

For the 2nd campaign in a row, NI have been lucky enough to be drawn in a group full of equally ordinary sides. Would have been interesting to see how they would have got in, say, group A...

Edited by ConorMac77 - 26 Mar 2017 at 10:45pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 369>
  Share Topic