Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 53>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:48am
Spanish League still leads the way comforably as the best quality of league IMO, as their european results are yet again showing. They will have 3/8 in the europa league quarters and 3 in the CL quarters

Sponsored Links

athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 11:56pm
Is the quality of a league, and the quality of the best team in the league not two totally different things ?

Leicester City winning the league this year would be huge for 'The League ' , am I wrong ?

But Barcelona winning won't mean anything.

Barcelona would batter Leicester. Barca are better.
But how does that make La Liga better ?

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 2:53am
Ye in fairness the quality of the league and the quality of the top teams representing the league are 2 different things. Quality of the league would be England. Quality of those representing the league would be Spain, Germany and possibly Italy (Juve better than any BPL team IMO).
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 3:20am
Competitiveness goes to England but the best of the best go and play in Spain.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 6:13am
Blanc maybe not so smug after last night but the tie is far from over.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:23am
Great week for the league.
City finished the job when many didn't give them a chance even after a 2-2 away from home.

Liverpool beat the second best team in Germany, a league that is constantly compared to the EPL, and favourites for the tournament.

Credit where its due. There'd be some activity on here if both teams had gone out and the EPL was left with no teams in the European semi finals
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:59am
I suppose the problem with modern football is that everything will be compared to the money spent. 5 of the 10 highest wage bills in Europe are in England and the return doesn't equate, which doesn't change the perception that people go to Spain or Bayern to try win the big cup and go to England for a payday.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:29am
All true. But it was a good week for the league.

I was expecting Dortmund to be too good for Liverpool. Over the 180 minutes Liverpool were the better team for long periods and created as many if not more chances

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 15 Apr 2016 at 10:31am
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 12:03pm
I suppose the important thing about it is where it leaves the UEFA coefficients with regard to Italy.

England were in danger of losing the fourth CL place from the 2017-18 season. That's safe now and has been for a while. After this week, it's also looking safer for the 2018-19 season. That will depend on the five seasons up to the end of 2016-17 (i.e. this season, next season and the last three seasons). English teams will start that with an advantage over the Italians, as it stands. This week's results have extended that advantage.

The figures will look close to this, from the start of next season (i.e. dropping off the 2011/2 season), with the figures for 2016/7 to be added on in determining the places for the 2018/9 season (and the figures for England for this year can only increase):
Seasons 2012/3 2013/4 2014/5 2015/6 Total
England 16.428 16.785 13.571 13.750 60.534
Italy ---- 14.416 14.166 19.000 11.500 59.082

There's no doubt it is very close and until that 2014/5 season is gone, the Italians will have a great shot at taking the English fourth place, but the continued participation and success of City and Liverpool in Europe this year is taking a fair amount away from the Italians.

Each win at this stage of the Europa League is worth as much as a win at the same stage of the Champions League. It's very handy, that's for sure. The downside is that the abortive campaigns of West Ham and Southampton are dragging the whole thing down. England would be on 15.214 had West Ham not got that fair play place, and well on the way to wiping out the importance of the 2014/5 Italian success.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 Apr 2016 at 12:04pm
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Ye in fairness the quality of the league and the quality of the top teams representing the league are 2 different things. Quality of the league would be England. Quality of those representing the league would be Spain, Germany and possibly Italy (Juve better than any BPL team IMO).
Who would win between Villa, Hannover, Verona and Levante?
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Ya the British fans are always using this argument. Deluded doesn't begin to describe their view of EPL. It has to be most exciting/most competitive/most even don't know why they can't just chill and enjoy what they have.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:13pm

I referred to the top teams in my post, not the bottom.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Ya the British fans are always using this argument. Deluded doesn't begin to describe their view of EPL. It has to be most exciting/most competitive/most even don't know why they can't just chill and enjoy what they have.

What?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 12:22pm
The league whose teams win the Europa league indicates to me the quality of second level teams in each league. On this basis La Liga wins on the bridle. Each season nearly always 2 Spanish teams in SF. All the others scrapping over second billing.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

What?

+1
heppies View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Spanish League still leads the way comforably as the best quality of league IMO, as their european results are yet again showing. They will have 3/8 in the europa league quarters and 3 in the CL quarters

Proved again this season.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 3:02pm
There is no doubt that the top Spanish clubs are some way ahead of the top English clubs, and have been for some time.

But I have no doubt that once you get past those top (4 or 5?) clubs, England has much more strength in depth than Spain, as the following three facts indicate:

1. England has around 100 full-time professional clubs i.e. right down to the 5th tier. Whereas Spain has many fewer; indeed once you get down to the third tier, the standard is pretty low.

2. England has had five different winners of the European Cup/Champions League, whereas only two Spanish clubs have ever won it, albeit numerous times. (Three different Italian and three different German clubs have won it).

3. London alone has 11 separate f-t professional clubs, something which only Buenos Aires can match in the world.

As a result, the quality is far more spread around England than Spain.

Add to that the fact that many English clubs take their domestic trophies more seriously than European ones, hence more competition at home, and I think that explains the present Spanish domination at the very top level of the game in Europe.
stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 5:56pm
Apparently, the EPL is going to have much more money to play with in coming years so I expect them to come back and be there or there about in the CL again soon. Money talks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 53>
  Share Topic