Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 53>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

But sure the premier league us in decline. 

German still the best in the world probably 
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

But sure the premier league us in decline. 

German still the best in the world probably 

If you're talking about the quality of the teams, Bayern are arguably the best club in Europe.

But as well as the other German teams being a long way behind Bayern, all the evidence suggests that they're also some way behind their English equivalents.

Take this year's CL: Bayern have topped their group with 5 wins from 5. But while all 4 English teams have now made it through to the knockout stages, Leipzig, Dortmund and Wolfsburg have all failed to do so.

All of which means Germany are going to be even further behind England when the 2021/22 results are added to the UEFA Co-efficient. (Ditto Spain, Italy and France)
https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2021
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 11:18pm
It was sarcasm 
The English has clearly been the best for the last few years now, and rightly so given the money and managers in that league.  Some still won’t admit it and are clinging to their claim that the German league is the best. It was never anywhere near the best. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 12:17am

It was sarcasm 
Gotcha.

The English has clearly been the best for the last few years now, and rightly so given the money and managers in that league.  Some still won’t admit it and are clinging to their claim that the German league is the best. It was never anywhere near the best.
Yep. And not only is it the best, but it's pulling away further each year, both financially and quality-wise.

You can see why the big Spamish and Italian clubs are/were desperate for a European Super League - not just for the money, but to rein-in the PL.

And speaking of an ESL, the UK's (former) Sports Minister is presenting a report tomorrow on the governance of football which inter alia is proposing that supporters be given a Golden Share and representation on club boards etc.

This Golden Share could be used to veto certain actions by club owners — specifically "selling the club stadium or permanently relocating it outside of its local area, joining a new competition not affiliated to FIFA, UEFA or the FA, or changing the club badge, the club name or first team home colours."

If all this goes through, imo it has the potential to strengthen the English game generally, including as it does, provision to filter more PL money down to the EFL and below and a reform of the parachute payment system.

Edited by Territorial - 25 Nov 2021 at 12:19am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:27am
I think the 00's started the rush of the best players to Premier League, bar the Real/Barca players.

This last 5 years or so it's been the influx of the best managers that has brought it to another level. Between Pep, Tuchel, Klopp, Conte (Mourino and Ancelotti last year), Most of the best managers in the world are in PL. Simone probably the main outlier. Pochetino possibly too. Not sure I'd have Zidane top 10 managers in the world.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:56am
Did anyone ever claim that the Bundesliga is the best league in Europe? 

As someone who usually prefers watching the Spanish league to the English league, the English league is more entertaining to watch now than the Spanish league. There’s a massive decline in standard over the past couple of years. Chelsea, City and Liverpool are miles ahead of everyone.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 10:01am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Did anyone ever claim that the Bundesliga is the best league in Europe? 

As someone who usually prefers watching the Spanish league to the English league, the English league is more entertaining to watch now than the Spanish league. There’s a massive decline in standard over the past couple of years. Chelsea, City and Liverpool are miles ahead of everyone.

Yes, plenty have on this thread
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:14pm

Chelsea, City and Liverpool are miles ahead of everyone.
No doubt.

But with overall standards in the PL continuing to rise, I reckon the next tier of PL clubs are also some way ahead of their continental counterparts.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

No doubt.

But with overall standards in the PL continuing to rise, I reckon the next tier of PL clubs are also some way ahead of their continental counterparts.

And right on cue……Spurs lose to a team from Slovenia who were only formed 11 years ago LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:44pm

No doubt.

And right on cue……Spurs lose to a team from Slovenia who were only formed 11 years ago LOL

And where did I claim Spurs are in "the next tier" of PL clubs?

It's going to take Conte at least two months to drag us up to that level... Wink
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:56pm

No doubt.

If there wasn't the drop in of teams from Champions LEague I reckon West Ham and Leicester would be the favorites for Europa League 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:04pm

It was sarcasm 

Are you mistaking Germany with Spain? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

It was sarcasm 

Are you mistaking Germany with Spain? 

No

No-one in the last few years is seriously claiming that about La Liga
Gone backwards dramatically 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 11:30am
Huge test for the English clubs in the CL draw I'd imagine Man city will get through but I'm not sure about the others.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Huge test for the English clubs in the CL draw I'd imagine Man city will get through but I'm not sure about the others.
I'd give Tottenham more of a chance against that Milan team even under Conte than I would an off-peak Chelsea. Liverpool will get revenge on Real Madrid. And of course City will go through. Can see Bayern Munich getting joy against that PSG defense so PSG may rue not tying down first place. Elsewhere, I'll go with Napoli, Club Brugge by a hair, and Porto because they have a better, upwardly mobile, manager.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 11:52am
Great draw, some lovely big ties early in the knockout, Liverpool/Real and PSG/Bayern the standouts.

Even moreso that most years tho, there's such a huge amount of football before the games, it's hard to know who'll have sold a star, refound form, sacked a manager etc by the time the games roll around in feb
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I'd give Tottenham more of a chance against that Milan team even under Conte than I would an off-peak Chelsea..
If Spurs have all their big players fit, on form and not "hung over" from the World Cup, I'd give us a decent chance, but that's a big "if". A couple of January signings would certainly help.

Not sure about Milan. They won Serie A with a big points haul last season and Pioli seems to have turned them round.

As against that, losing 3-0 away and 2-0 at home to a moderate Chelsea in the Group stage was pretty crap, even if they did ok in the games against Salzburg and Zagreb.

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Liverpool will get revenge on Real Madrid. .
Liverpool are currently quite some way off where they' have been for the last 4 or 5 seasons.

While Real Madrid usully only start to take the CL seriously in February, when they have La Liga all but won. I think it will be handy enough for them.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 2:45pm
La Liga certainly won’t be won in February this season for Madrid! Barca will push them all the way to the end of the season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 53>
  Share Topic