You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 54>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:07pm
England looks set to have the highest UEFA coefficient for the second season in a row. England has four teams left, Spain only has one, and England are already ahead of them, with a higher coefficient than last season too.
Sponsored Links

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 5:04am
Some decline. Could end up Chelsea v arsenal and Tottenham v Liverpool. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:01pm
There has only once been an all-English UEFA Cup / Europa League final, back in 1972.

That said, in terms of total dominance, in 1990, Italy had four of the six European finalists and all three winners. I think that's probably the most dominant single season by any country, albeit this year's English performance would come close if they end up with four finalists.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

There has only once been an all-English UEFA Cup / Europa League final, back in 1972.

That said, in terms of total dominance, in 1990, Italy had four of the six European finalists and all three winners. I think that's probably the most dominant single season by any country, albeit this year's English performance would come close if they end up with four finalists.

Though in 1990 English clubs were banned.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:32pm

Italian football as a whole peaked in those years surrounding the 1990 World Cup. It was the unquestionable kingpin in those years. 

But while it remaned strong for the rest of the 1990s and even for a bit after that, the rot had been setting in all the while and those chickens finally came home to roost after 2006. 

20 years after 1990, Spain attained unquestioned supremacy in the years surrounding the 2010 World Cup. 

But that same rot that began to set in in Italian football in the 1990s has been setting in in Spain too. 

The standard of player coming out of Spain now is nowhere near what it was. 

England is going to be the next dominant power in the way Italy of 1990 and Spain of 2010 was. They have their act together in a big way, and Spain look set to fall by the wayside.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Though in 1990 English clubs were banned.
Yeah, but as was said on another thread, you're a **** if you mention it.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Italian football as a whole peaked in those years surrounding the 1990 World Cup. It was the unquestionable kingpin in those years. 

But while it remaned strong for the rest of the 1990s and even for a bit after that, the rot had been setting in all the while and those chickens finally came home to roost after 2006. 
Pochettino recently commented that English clubs spend significantly more on infrastructure (stadia, training grounds, club shops etc) than Spanish ones.

But he might have added that Italian clubs are further behind again. For Italia 90, while a whole lot of shared, multi-sport and municipally owned stadia were re-built or refurbished, only a couple were brand new (Bari and Turin).

Worse, this rebuilding work brought on high levels of debt, yet produced old-style stadia which were the last of an era, design-wise:

Since then, only Juve have built a brand new, purpose-built stadium (2011), to replace the hated Stadio Del Alpi form Italia90, and then only with a 41.5k capacity. And only four other Serie A clubs (Udinese, Sassuolo, Atalanta, Frosinone) actually own their own stadia.

As a result, they lag far behind their big continental rivals in terms of gate receipts, corporate exploitation, sponsorship and naming rights etc, which at least partly explains why Juve have been out on their own for nearly a decade.

According to this article, the rest seem finally to be waking up to this:

All that said, this is still Italy we're talking about, so who knows when, or even whether, it's actually likely to happen. And in the meantime, the big clubs in other countries (esp England) are only likely to draw even further away.

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

England is going to be the next dominant power in the way Italy of 1990 and Spain of 2010 was. They have their act together in a big way, and Spain look set to fall by the wayside.
I wouldn't write off Spain completely. Corporate and commercial exploitation, esp around modern stadia, is hugely important these days.

On which point, Atletico have a great new stadium, Barca and Real are both re-building theirs completely and who knows, Valencia might even sort out the mess over their replacement for the Mestalla.

And as is often the case, a few clubs at the top forging ahead can prompt the chasing clubs to raise their standards, too.

But yeah, it's looking like it could be England's turn to rule the roost for a period.

Edited by Territorial - 08 May 2019 at 4:40pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:09pm
2 English teams in the champions league final

Prob the same in the Europa League.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:10pm
Best league in the world by a good bit at present 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:23pm
In fairness, Spanish clubs have won 5 of the last 7 in both competitions, along with three losing finalists. Not sure the English are necessarily that far clear. We were very, very close to a Barca v Ajax final and neither Chelsea nor Arsenal are set for anything yet.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:52pm
I have a funny feeling it could be a Valencia Frankfurt final yet in a week of comebacks. Think Valencia will win in the 90, obviously qualifying is a different story, but that Arsenal defence are so flakey.

Have had a sneaky feeling for Frankfurt for awhile.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:26pm
I think Arsenal are enough of a threat on the break if Aubameyang starts though. A Premier League away game is very different from a two legged Europa league game when you carry a lead from the home game. If Arsenal are 1-0 down away to, say, Burnley, it is very different from being 1-0 down on the night but 3-2 up on aggregate away to Valencia.

I can't see that Arsenal can recover if they are behind on aggregate or away goals at any stage tomorrow night but that's not to say that they can't score if they fall behind on the night. Valencia are no great shakes either. I think ultimately Arsenal will, just about, be alright, even though they will likely lose on the night.

Eintracht were appalling at the weekend and that could well have a devastating effect on their entire season. I'd strongly favour Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised if they win 3-0 tomorrow.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:30pm
Ah my Frankfurt thing was just a hunch a couple of Europa games back. I had a nibble at 20/1 out of interest, nothing major. I expect Valencia to win the game in 90 mins. What the actual scoreline will be God only knows, but I wouldn't like to have money on that Arsenal defence holding out if Valencia need 1 goal to qualify in the last half hour or so.

I might wait for the line ups. If Mustafi is starting put the house on Valencia LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:34am

A Premier League away game is very different from a two legged Europa league game when you carry a lead from the home game. If Arsenal are 1-0 down away to, say, Burnley, it is very different from being 1-0 down on the night but 3-2 up on aggregate away to Valencia.
I daresay you're right.

But an EL semi-final is very different from a CL semi-final.

I can see both Chelsea and Arsenal getting to Final.

But whichever wins, neither will be within an ass's roar of the top teams in the CL.

Edited by Territorial - 09 May 2019 at 2:37am
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:06am

I think Arsenal are enough of a threat on the break if Aubameyang starts though. A Premier League away game is very different from a two legged Europa league game when you carry a lead from the home game. If Arsenal are 1-0 down away to, say, Burnley, it is very different from being 1-0 down on the night but 3-2 up on aggregate away to Valencia.

I can't see that Arsenal can recover if they are behind on aggregate or away goals at any stage tomorrow night but that's not to say that they can't score if they fall behind on the night. Valencia are no great shakes either. I think ultimately Arsenal will, just about, be alright, even though they will likely lose on the night.

Eintracht were appalling at the weekend and that could well have a devastating effect on their entire season. I'd strongly favour Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised if they win 3-0 tomorrow.

Valencia started very strongly in the first leg, could have been 2 up, but faded badly so it's hard to know their level. Obviously, being at home should allow them to maintain a higher level of performance for more than 45 minutes in this leg.

Arsenal actually surprised me in the Napoli away game, was a more comfortable win than I'd thought along with a clean sheet, so they can do it in a stadium full of passionate fans. But the defense just never inspires confidence, especially with someone like Xhaka playing in front of them.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Ah my Frankfurt thing was just a hunch a couple of Europa games back. I had a nibble at 20/1 out of interest, nothing major. I expect Valencia to win the game in 90 mins. What the actual scoreline will be God only knows, but I wouldn't like to have money on that Arsenal defence holding out if Valencia need 1 goal to qualify in the last half hour or so.

I might wait for the line ups. If Mustafi is starting put the house on Valencia LOL

Don’t lose all faith in Eintracht Frankfurt, they will have almost a full strength team starting today unlike last Thursday and last Sunday.
Their 4 most important players are Jovic, Rebic, Kostic and Gavinovic. Rebic was suspended last Thursday and Jovic and Gasinovic did not start on Sunday.
If the defending is as bad as the first 36 minutes on Sunday then Chelsea will win 3-0. If not a 2-2 draw would not surprise me.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 09 May 2019 at 4:42pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:06am
Some week for English football.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:19am
England could win Champions League, Europa League and Nations League in 2 weeks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 54>
  Share Topic