You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barcelona

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 88>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:12pm
What age is Suarez? Is there a bit of a decline creeping into his game?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I doubt Neymar will go. 

I can't help but feel that Barca have lost their identity over the past few years. Their transfer policy has been brutal, they have moved away from promoting youth team players and the more direct style of play is much more generic rather than specific to the "Barca way". 

It's interesting that most of the exciting youngsters are coming through at Madrid. 
Barcelona lost their identity when they sold the jersey to Qatar and, in all likelihood, will never get it back. Their transfer dealings, with Neymar himself in particular, mean they can no longer be held up as an example of ethics and morals that they could once try and claim. They are not really 'more than a club', they are just a big club like all the others.
I think losing that identity has already had an effect on them. Throwing money at it will bring some success at some stage, but I think the loss of that attachment will have an effect.

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Jul 2017 at 3:42pm
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

What age is Suarez? Is there a bit of a decline creeping into his game?
He probably needs a new challenge something he can really get his teeth into
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I doubt Neymar will go. 

I can't help but feel that Barca have lost their identity over the past few years. Their transfer policy has been brutal, they have moved away from promoting youth team players and the more direct style of play is much more generic rather than specific to the "Barca way". 

It's interesting that most of the exciting youngsters are coming through at Madrid. 
Barcelona lost their identity when they sold the jersey to Qatar and, in all likelihood, will never get it back. There transfer dealings, with Neymar himself in particular, mean they can no longer be held up as an example of ethics and morals that they could once try and claim. They are not really 'more than a club', they are just a big club like all the others.
I think losing that identity has already had an effect on them. Throwing money at it will bring some success at some stage, but I think the loss of that attachment will have an effect.

I agree PM. They gave in to the pressure to remain economically competitive with their rivals. They have a savage wage bill among other things. There has been a cost to taking the money too though.

El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:58pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I doubt Neymar will go. 

Barcelona lost their identity when they sold the jersey to Qatar and, in all likelihood, will never get it back. There transfer dealings, with Neymar himself in particular, mean they can no longer be held up as an example of ethics and morals that they could once try and claim. They are not really 'more than a club', they are just a big club like all the others.

I agree PM. They gave in to the pressure to remain economically competitive with their rivals. They have a savage wage bill among other things. There has been a cost to taking the money too though.

I don't think that they had to though. I genuinely think they panicked  They were being successful on the pitch and were the 4th richest on the Forbes list in 2010, it wasn't as if they were going to die without Qatari money or Neymar or suddenly start finishing outside the top four in the league. By selling away a bit of their soul and identity, what made them different, they have actually made themselves less appealing to fans and players alike. 
Their average salary has rose by 0.8 of a million between 2010 and 2017, but the club is in a far worse state now than then.
In saying that, Manchester United completely sold their soul in the late nineties and it did them little harm!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:15pm
Barca have got a brand new stadium to finance, to be constructed on the site of the old one and without having to cease playing during the build.

And even if they manage to come within their €600m budget (seems low to me), I'm sure that's having a major impact on their finance, planning and operations etc.

Edited by Territorial - 19 Jul 2017 at 4:17pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:22pm

Interesting that the salary increase hasn't been ginormous in the last 7 years but I do remember that they were struggling financially at the time and there was talk of having to clear some of the superstars off their wagebill. The tournament win bonuses in particular were killing them which is an odd I know. Barca players don't get individual win bonuses based on games and goals/assist but rather on collective objectives such as winning cups and leagues. So when they have to pay out, it's for huge sums. 

This is offering context around their decision to cash in on their brand. However, they really jumped the fence going from a situation where they paid Unicef to put their name on the jerseys to their current deal with the Qatari's was pretty extreme. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:33pm

Interesting that the salary increase hasn't been ginormous in the last 7 years but I do remember that they were struggling financially at the time and there was talk of having to clear some of the superstars off their wagebill. The tournament win bonuses in particular were killing them which is an odd I know. Barca players don't get individual win bonuses based on games and goals/assist but rather on collective objectives such as winning cups and leagues. So when they have to pay out, it's for huge sums. 

This is offering context around their decision to cash in on their brand. However, they really jumped the fence going from a situation where they paid Unicef to put their name on the jerseys to their current deal with the Qatari's was pretty extreme. 
That is just the average salary and doesn't allow for Messi's supposedly astronomical new deal, but it does give an idea. I understand the reasoning, including stadium issues, but  I feel they panicked somewhat and in doing so did more harm than good.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:41pm
It's all gone downhill since Cruijff died.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm

However, they really jumped the fence going from a situation where they paid Unicef to put their name on the jerseys to their current deal with the Qatari's was pretty extreme.
I always thought the UNICEF deal was just their way of softening the fans up to the general idea of having a sponsor's name on the shirt.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

However, they really jumped the fence going from a situation where they paid Unicef to put their name on the jerseys to their current deal with the Qatari's was pretty extreme.
I always thought the UNICEF deal was just their way of softening the fans up to the general idea of having a sponsor's name on the shirt.

That's not beyond the realms of possibility alright Terry
El Puto Amo
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:26pm

That's not beyond the realms of possibility alright Terry

That was the unwritten rule.
Didn't know they were building a new stadium. I guess they will sell the naming rights to it to help pay for it.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Didn't know they were building a new stadium. I guess they will sell the naming rights to it to help pay for it.
Yep, 105k capacity, to be completed some time in the 2020/21 season, all the while continuing to play in it:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/10252553/watch-barcas-new-camp-nou

Projected cost €600m, to be financed by €200m from their own resources; €200m from bank loans and €200m from naming rights and sponsorship etc.

Considering Spurs new 61k stadium is expected to come in somewhere north of £750m Stg, and they're vacating the old one for 15 months to finish it, I really cannot see how Barca will do it.

Spanish builders, eh?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:25pm
A large amount of it is renovation and construction of new facilities outside, along with retrofitting inside. They don't have to demolish the old bowl or dig new foundations for a new bowl, afaik.

That's why it is cheaper.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:25pm

Yep, 105k capacity, to be completed some time in the 2020/21 season, all the while continuing to play in it:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/10252553/watch-barcas-new-camp-nou

Projected cost €600m, to be financed by €200m from their own resources; €200m from bank loans and €200m from naming rights and sponsorship etc.

Considering Spurs new 61k stadium is expected to come in somewhere north of £750m Stg, and they're vacating the old one for 15 months to finish it, I really cannot see how Barca will do it.

Spanish builders, eh?
but the video clearly shows it is adding more seats, an exterior and new roof to the existing structure.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:25pm
Looks impressive-
They are building the new stadium over the old one so don't have to move.
105k capacity is huge - they will have to keep current and keep adding star players to fill it.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:55pm

Looks impressive-
105k capacity is huge - they will have to keep current and keep adding star players to fill it.

Sure it's only 5k more then it currently holds
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Looks impressive-

Sure it's only 5k more then it currently holds
But surely it's a complete re-build i.e. effectively a brand new stadium?

I was in it earlier this season and apart from the main stand (20% of the footprint?), I was taken aback at how outdated it is - essentially a 1980's stadium, lacking a roof almost all round, with only the most basic of catering and hospitality, toilets etc.

Though obviously smaller, the average EPL stadium is miles ahead, really is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 88>
  Share Topic