You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barcelona

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 88>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Terry I’m thinking Aviva are happy enough with their sponsorship of Lansdowne rd even though many, like myself, would never use their corporate name when referring to the ground. 
MC i would say the casual fan calls it Aviva where as fans who go all the time still call it Lansdowne

And the wans under 25 as they don’t know any different.

Budweiser would pay big money to have their name all over the roof of Manchester Utd PLC pitch and training facilities.

The locals and the proper Man U fans from Ireland would only ever call it Old Trafford.

But the corporates and holiday fans would be all heading to the Budweiser bowl for the soccer match to watch their favourite kicker. 

Things move on quickly when money is involved.

What possible reason could the Glazers have for turning down money for the naming rights, if not that no big corporation is seriously interested? It can't be the fans' feelings, since they've never listened to them before.

Tbh I suspect they'd happily rename it the "Malcolm Glazer is a Right sh*thead Stadium" if you offered them enough dosh!
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:26pm

@Terri 

Spurs are expected to announce a stadium sponsor this year - Levy...     ... wants 25M a year. 
Sounds about right, but with the way things are, I'd be surprised if it was clinched this year.

For example, when Juve completed their new stadium in 2011, they sold the naming rights through to 2023 to a marketing company, Sportfive Italia, for €75m i.e. €6m p.a..

Yet despite no Covid and Juve being a much bigger "brand" than Spurs and the stadium being on a completely new site, it still took Sportfive another six years before they could sell the rights on to Allianz. And who knows, they might even have made a loss on the deal?

All that said, Levy is one smart operator when it comes to money and if they could also attract a permanent NFL franchise to London, then that could make it "a whole new ball game". (Sorry Embarrassed)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 4:01pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Perhaps, [Barca] are just too big to fail
My guess is that their only options are: (a ) European Super League, (b ) another decade in the wilderness like previous ones, in the hope that a new President can turn it around in that time, or (c ) the Sevco model i.e. bankruptcy and start again,

Option (a ) isn't within their power to guarantee and I can't see (b ) being acceptable to anyone any more, meaning... Shocked

I think the solution is the easiest answer. They need to offload the marquee names where possible, slash the wage bill and cut their cloth to measure for the foreseeable future. They won't be winning anything for a while but thems the breaks. They can promote themselves as the club to give young talent a big stage similar to Dortmund.

That would be the sensible option, but since when did common sense ever come into these things?

I mean, what new President is going to get elected on a platform of:
"Well it's like this, lads. I'm going to sell Leo and the rest of the big names and replace them with cheap options from God knows where, while we wait for a new golden generation to come through from La Masia. Meanwhile, don't expect to win very much for the next 10 years."

That ain't gonna happen.

The other plus side is the Camp Nou won't be turned into another soulless corporate dump anytime soon.
Everyone, incl the fanbase, accepts that it has to be rebuilt. Ideally, it will be done without losing all its soul, but the financing and revenue-generating possibilities will take priority.

In any case, don't be fooled by "El Classico", or a select few big European nights. There are many games when the atmosphere at the Camp Nou is pretty "meh". This is because it is always the fans who give a stadium its soul, so that when they're not up for it, the present stadium is revealed to be just a big 1980's concrete bowl, without even much of a roof:

The only other option is to appeal to socios/ benefactors for a bail out. 
Who is going to stump up €1bn to clear the debt, then maybe the same again to rebuild the team and the stadium?

There may be plenty of individuals out there who could come up with that sort of money, but I'd venture NONE who would risk those sorts of sums without also being the owner of the club, never mind as a President who could be voted out at the next election.

And speaking of elections, last time out in 2015, Barca had 110k members who were eligible to vote (though only 47k of them i.e. 43%, actually bothered to do so).

Meaning that it would cost every single member approx €10,000 each just to clear the debt.

So that ain't gonna happen either.
Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 4:14pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Terry I’m thinking Aviva are happy enough with their sponsorship of Lansdowne rd even though many, like myself, would never use their corporate name when referring to the ground. 
MC i would say the casual fan calls it Aviva where as fans who go all the time still call it Lansdowne

And the wans under 25 as they don’t know any different.

Budweiser would pay big money to have their name all over the roof of Manchester Utd PLC pitch and training facilities.

The locals and the proper Man U fans from Ireland would only ever call it Old Trafford.

But the corporates and holiday fans would be all heading to the Budweiser bowl for the soccer match to watch their favourite kicker. 

Things move on quickly when money is involved.
How are "proper Man U fans from Ireland" different from "holiday fans"?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Though Cruyff gained the international acclaim for [the Pass Penalty], the actual inventor of it was Belgian Rik Coppens in '57. Scored it in an international against Iceland.

As big a Cruyff fan as I am, this one not his. And do false credit.

Not so fast there, Steve!

The first Pass Penalty was actually invented by one Danny Blanchflower, when he passed to Jimmy McIlroy to convert in an NI international against Portugal in Belfast in April 1957.

However the referee, who clearly didn't know what to do, disallowed it and ordered NI to retake the penalty, which McIlroy scored conventionally to make the final score 3-0.

This was one month before the Coppens Pass Penalty, but because their referee allowed it, he is (mistakenly imo) credited with having invented it.

Which is a crying shame, not least because it was another Ulsterman, William McCrum, who invented the penalty kick in the first place. And McCrum was a goalkeeper!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zr7hqp3

Anyhow, more here, including a video of the Blanchflower/McIlroy penalty: https://ireland-calling.com/lifestyle/northern-ireland-cruyff-messi-passed-penalty/

P.S. Please don't ask me by what process I happened to come by Steve's post just now - you couldn't write an algorithm to do the job. Wink

Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Though Cruyff gained the international acclaim for [the Pass Penalty], the actual inventor of it was Belgian Rik Coppens in '57. Scored it in an international against Iceland.

As big a Cruyff fan as I am, this one not his. And do false credit.

Not so fast there, Steve!

The first Pass Penalty was actually invented by one Danny Blanchflower, when he passed to Jimmy McIlroy to convert in an NI international against Portugal in Belfast in April 1957.

However the referee, who clearly didn't know what to do, disallowed it and ordered NI to retake the penalty, which McIlroy scored conventionally to make the final score 3-0.

This was one month before the Coppens Pass Penalty, but because their referee allowed it, he is (mistakenly imo) credited with having invented it.

Which is a crying shame, not least because it was another Ulsterman, William McCrum, who invented the penalty kick in the first place. And McCrum was a goalkeeper!

Anyhow, more here, including a video of the Blanchflower/McIlroy penalty: https://ireland-calling.com/lifestyle/northern-ireland-cruyff-messi-passed-penalty/

P.S. Please don't ask me by what process I happened to come by Steve's post just now - you couldn't write an algorithm to do the job. Wink

As the man with the orthopedic foot so famously said; "I stand corrected'

I always thought it was Cruijff, untill I seen an item on Belgian telly when Coppens passed away a few years ago. But Blanchflower it is so me auld flower!
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:17am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 5:28am
Some stats there for the great man.

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:38am
On a serious run of form

Tonights El Classico away to Real is massive
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:13am
yea, win tonight and they’ll be in a serious chance of winning LaLiga 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:19am
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 8:12am
Win their game in hand and they are top
Some turnaround

Still a long way to go though, including a home game v Atletico
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 8:29am
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Win their game in hand and they are top
Some turnaround

Still a long way to go though, including a home game v Atletico

AM have bottled this.
10 points clear but last 10 games read:
W4, D3 and L3.
They won 18 of the first 23 games with only one defeat.

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:12pm
Blown it after another draw last night

Gotta be curtains for Koeman now too
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 7:02pm
Messi leaving Barca 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 7:16pm
interesting to see how this develops - sign for someone or rest up for a few months until Barca off load.

No fee so opens a lot of contenders - leeds haven’t spent in the market and there’s the Bielsa factor.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 7:17pm
Believe it when i see it. Like last time. 
I love beer gardens
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

interesting to see how this develops - sign for someone or rest up for a few months until Barca off load.

No fee so opens a lot of contenders - leeds haven’t spent in the market and there’s the Bielsa factor.

Leeds LOL
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 88>
  Share Topic