You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shamrock Rovers Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 374>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

It's a commercial partnership to make a few quid. While it's all a bit cringey, I don't get the faux outrage. 

I think a lot of it is coming from the highlighted gambling addiction in the football community, especially players and ex players. 

That's a fair point and debate at a higher level. But you can be sure all those giving out love a bet on football, Cheltenham etc

So that if they do?

I enjoy the odd bet, I also have people close to me who got addicted and came into serious trouble because of it. I'm firmly gainst gambling advertising, that isn't contradictory to enjoying a sensible bet. I'm lucky I'm able to control it, many people aren't. Gambling advertising doesn't help matters. Clouding it as being for charity doesn't skirt that fact.

I doubt anyone who smokes thinks smoking advertising should be allowed again. 

Edited by nvidic - 16 Dec 2021 at 1:15pm
Sponsored Links

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

It's a commercial partnership to make a few quid. While it's all a bit cringey, I don't get the faux outrage. 

I think a lot of it is coming from the highlighted gambling addiction in the football community, especially players and ex players. 

That's a fair point and debate at a higher level. But you can be sure all those giving out love a bet on football, Cheltenham etc

So that if they do?

I enjoy the odd bet, I also have people close to me who got addicted and came into serious trouble because of it. I'm firmly gainst gambling advertising, that isn't contradictory to enjoying a sensible bet. I'm lucky I'm able to control it, many people aren't. Gambling advertising doesn't help matters. Clouding it as being for charity doesn't skirt that fact.

I doubt anyone who smokes thinks smoking advertising should be allowed again. 

I think that's a wider issue though. Gambling advertising is allowed. 888 is emblazoned on the Rovers jersey and I doubt it stops people buying the jersey. Paddy Power was on Pat's, Mr Green was on Bohs.    
IMO people like to be seen shouting from the rooftops when a video starts to make waves on Twitter. Were they as vocal when the 888 deal was signed? 

Edited by The GerK - 16 Dec 2021 at 1:27pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 2:00pm
That's all fair, I personally think it should all be banned. This might be the one that brings it to wider public attention and leads to one.

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

That's all fair, I personally think it should all be banned. This might be the one that brings it to wider public attention and leads to one.

Yea, need to get to the root of problem instead of shouting over gorilla marketing. But as you say, it may lead to some sort of change.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 3:21pm
The inability to read the room is what gets me LOL

But on a serious note it is possible to enjoy making a bet and be sick to the back teeth of gambling advertising everywhere trying to sucker poor unfortunates. 
Rolling boh View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolling boh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 3:28pm
speaking  from someone who used to bet a bit  I really do think gambling firms should not be permitted around sports  every sports broadcast is snowed under it seems with betting ads and online betting is far to easy and I think that is very damaging and drawing in far too many people especially the younger ones as they are so tech savvy and used to do everything on line now . Don't  know much about the rovers thing but  they are doing nothing wrong as the rules stand it seems .
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 4:14pm
I think its more of an issue on how they used their platform to promote it.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 7:29pm
well maybe if loi clubs weren’t so criminally underfunded compared to less popular but more establishment acceptable sports, ie dog racing, then clubs wouldn’t feel the need to jump on any sponsor who offers exposure and cash?
No Pasaran!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 12:01am
I'm sick of gambling ads. They are f**king everywhere and this one doesn't sit right either. This bullsh*t of them getting across a message of them being great craic. PP are sickening and I f**king despise that they are all over international coverage on rte. And they actually insult the national team while they're at it ffs.

Complete ban on gambling adverts, similar to cigarettes. Get rid. Gambling is a serious issue for young men 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 12:53am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I'm sick of gambling ads. They are f**king everywhere and this one doesn't sit right either. This bullsh*t of them getting across a message of them being great craic. PP are sickening and I f**king despise that they are all over international coverage on rte. And they actually insult the national team while they're at it ffs.

Complete ban on gambling adverts, similar to cigarettes. Get rid. Gambling is a serious issue for young men 
Mark, not only young men. It affects all ages and genders, But it equally affects the families and friends of people with compulsive gambling addiction. I totally agree that gambling logos should be outlawed in football stadiums/shirts and the same goes for alcohol advertising. But to do this you need a lot of courage to do this. Tranmere are one of the few clubs I think have made that decision.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 7:31am
Any truth in the Adam Rooney rumours?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Mark, not only young men. It affects all ages and genders, But it equally affects the families and friends of people with compulsive gambling addiction. I totally agree that gambling logos should be outlawed in football stadiums/shirts and the same goes for alcohol advertising. But to do this you need a lot of courage to do this. Tranmere are one of the few clubs I think have made that decision.

Correct re: Tranmere and even Luton Town in the 2nd tier, the campaign is below

https://the-bigstep.com/
Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 5:34pm
2022 fixtures out tomorrow . 
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 6:14pm
Max Murphy has lost the will to play football for the foreseeable future. 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 6:18pm
First game of the new season is home to UCD Fri 18th feb. 
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 6:28pm
what’s young Murphy like ssm?
No Pasaran!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Southstandman Southstandman wrote:

Max Murphy has lost the will to play football for the foreseeable future. 

LOL

He better turn out to be more successful than Thomas Oluwa.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 5:56am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

what’s young Murphy like ssm?

Plays in defense and in the midfield as well . Good work rate and a nice pass in him . 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 374>
  Share Topic