You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 502503504505506 534>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:34am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

I see Salmond wants to set up a separate anti-UK political vehicle, the Alba party.

I've never really understood why the SNP receives such widespread popularity in Ireland. Quite apart from the Nats' repugnant political philosophy and fascistic history, Scotland are and have always been an imperialist force, as they were even prior to joining the UK, with their Darien Scheme project in the 17th century in Panama. And that's even before we consider Scotland's attempt to invade Ireland in the 14th century.

They then went on to play a leading role at the vanguard of British imperialism. Weren't at least half a dozen of Britain's viceroys to India Scottish?

And they then went on to colonise the 6 counties, committing the most appalling atrocities, as anyone who's read books on the subject knows. Nearly every high-profile Unionist has a Scottish name.

But yeah, Scotland are the *victims* of colonialism rather than the perpetrators of it according to the Nats and many Irish people. 

I find this attitude vastly more repugnant than when you see English c**ts' chauvinistic revelling in their imperialist past. At least they aren't posing as the victims.

Scotland's history is not Ireland's history.

But just why do so many Irish people buy into the Scottish 'victim' narrative? Is it just sheer stupidity and ignorance, or are more sinister forces at work?

I take a reasonable interest in the Scottish referendum discussions but am no anorak on the subject. I’ve not heard  much of the victim card - more a discussion on what path a modern Scotland (whose devolved parliament is peppered with Irish names) should take with a bit of the usual jingoism thrown in.

I think reasonable people in countries with recent cultural shifts (financial independence at a young age relative to previous generations, rejecting religious doctrine, abortion access, same sex marriage etc..)like our own would listen with a sympathetic ear.

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:02am
Nationalistic fervour in a country that is 95+% white with an ugly colonialist past and whose ruling elite had strong links to Nazism looks deeply sinister to anyone who's cared to take the time to glance at the issue.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 27 Mar 2021 at 8:03am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

I see Salmond wants to set up a separate anti-UK political vehicle, the Alba party.

I've never really understood why the SNP receives such widespread popularity in Ireland. Quite apart from the Nats' repugnant political philosophy and fascistic history, Scotland are and have always been an imperialist force, as they were even prior to joining the UK, with their Darien Scheme project in the 17th century in Panama. And that's even before we consider Scotland's attempt to invade Ireland in the 14th century.

They then went on to play a leading role at the vanguard of British imperialism. Weren't at least half a dozen of Britain's viceroys to India Scottish?

And they then went on to colonise the 6 counties, committing the most appalling atrocities, as anyone who's read books on the subject knows. Nearly every high-profile Unionist has a Scottish name.

But yeah, Scotland are the *victims* of colonialism rather than the perpetrators of it according to the Nats and many Irish people. 

I find this attitude vastly more repugnant than when you see English c**ts' chauvinistic revelling in their imperialist past. At least they aren't posing as the victims.

But just why do so many Irish people buy into the Scottish 'victim' narrative? Is it just sheer stupidity and ignorance, or are more sinister forces at work?

I take a reasonable interest in the Scottish referendum discussions but am no anorak on the subject. I’ve not heard  much of the victim card - more a discussion on what path a modern Scotland (whose devolved parliament is peppered with Irish names) should take with a bit of the usual jingoism thrown in.

I think reasonable people in countries with recent cultural shifts (financial independence at a young age relative to previous generations, rejecting religious doctrine, abortion access, same sex marriage etc..)like our own would listen with a sympathetic ear.

I see no evidence of this. Quite the reverse, in fact.

Young people are regularly living at home and financially dependent on their parents well into their thirties these days, from what I've seen. 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:45am
I bet this wally follows Glasgow septic 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Who?. Me? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Embarrassed
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:00pm

Quite simply if scotland votes for independence NI is finished as is the UK 

As regards empire building plenty of Irish like the Scots were part of it and benefitted from it 

As for the snp and fascism I believe a previous leader commented favourably on sone aspects which was on a par with most of the British establishment, Lloyd George , daily mail 

The current salmon sturgeon dispute has all the hallmark of black ops as plain as day 

While the England establishment doesn’t give a monkeys about NI and to a certain extent Wales it has no intention of letting Scotland leave despite public protestations to the contrary 

Edited by Newryrep - 27 Mar 2021 at 3:05pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

As regards empire building plenty of Irish like the Scots were part of it and benefitted from it 

As for the snp and fascism I believe a previous leader commented favourably on sone aspects which was on a par with mist British parties 

The current salmon sturgeon dispute has all the hallmark of back ops as plain as day 

While the England establishment doesn’t give a monkeys about NI and to a certain extent Wales it has no intention of letting Scotland leave despite public protestations to the contrary 

That goes along with my thinking; only the British establishment gains from the splitting of the independence vote.

But then why is Salmond a part of this?

Interesting to get your take on the issue. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:25pm

As for the snp and fascism I believe a previous leader commented favourably on sone aspects which was on a par with mist British parties 

The current salmon sturgeon dispute has all the hallmark of back ops as plain as day 

That goes along with my thinking; only the British establishment gains from the splitting of the independence vote.

I honestly don’t know the history of it , in fact I pm ET a Scottish fan who posts here what the inside story was as on the face of it it looks like salmond involves in sexual allegations and didn’t get the backing of the party 

Party fallouts tend to be more bitter than against erstwhile opponents 

It’s a real pity I thought salmond was the standout politician of the last 20 years , dragged the independence movement from nowhere to a serious chance , getting  16 yo on the electrical register for the yes referendum was a master stroke , put  Scottish labour on life support and won a majority in the Scottish parliament when it was specifically set up to avoid majority’s 

I fear the last referendum was their best chance - brexit I think has made it harder re  Scottish border with England 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:27pm
somebody said sturgeon would sacrifice salmond for independence whereas salmond would sacrifice 8ndependence for salmond 

Probably too simplistic 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:42pm
The emergence of the new party, chaotic as it was and driven by internecine rivalry, nonetheless is not helpful to the Tory government. It makes independence more likely, not less. As others have correctly observed, London does not want to lose Scotland even if indifferent at best re NI. But indications are that it will happen and when that does, NI will follow fairly quickly as the UK will have ceased to exist. Even the normally docile Welsh are growing increasingly more belligerent towards London. All good fun, none of it factored in by the bonehead English nationalists when they lied and blustered on the road to Brexit.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:46pm

Young people are regularly living at home and financially dependent on their parents well into their thirties these days, from what I've seen. 
no idea what age you are - my parents went from leaving at home married like all their peers and generations before them - obvious exception are those who left for work-study away feom their home town within Ireland or emigration. Most in bigger towns all over where the same.

I bet lots of those 30+s you refer to have been on many a sub holiday / backpacked in Aus and so on. Something very few born before mid-60s would have experienced until they were will into their 20s. You also ignored my response to your nonsense post about victimhood.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 27 Mar 2021 at 3:48pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:21pm

no idea what age you are - my parents went from leaving at home married like all their peers and generations before them - obvious exception are those who left for work-study away feom their home town within Ireland or emigration. Most in bigger towns all over where the same.

I bet lots of those 30+s you refer to have been on many a sub holiday / backpacked in Aus and so on. Something very few born before mid-60s would have experienced until they were will into their 20s. You also ignored my response to your nonsense post about victimhood.

It's not not 'nonsense'. I've given you my subjective take on the matter. The SNP have fomented an Anglophobic grievance culture. If you disagree, well that's fine. 

Scotland are the much-smaller junior partners in Britain's imperialist enterprises after their own colonialist ambitions failed, and resent England as a result.

For what it's worth I have strong familial links to Scotland and am very fond of the country.

I don't care one way or another if Scotland succeed from the Union, though from a personal point of view, it would be interesting to be eligible to be entitled to three passports rather than just two.

It's just that for the above reasons I find the Scottish victim narrative rather galling given their history.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:32pm

I honestly don’t know the history of it , in fact I pm ET a Scottish fan who posts here what the inside story was as on the face of it it looks like salmond involves in sexual allegations and didn’t get the backing of the party 

It’s a real pity I thought salmond was the standout politician of the last 20 years , dragged the independence movement from nowhere to a serious chance , getting  16 yo on the electrical register for the yes referendum was a master stroke , put  Scottish labour on life support and won a majority in the Scottish parliament when it was specifically set up to avoid majority’s 

I fear the last referendum was their best chance - brexit I think has made it harder re  Scottish border with England 

Whatever you think of him, Salmond is an extremely shrewd and capable political operator; greatly more impressive than most of the useless cretins to be found in Westminster.

Anyway, the point is that Salmond will attract a lot of separatist supporter, and the nationalist vote will now be divided. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:40pm
Have we a match tonight ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:51pm

Whatever you think of him, Salmond is an extremely shrewd and capable political operator; greatly more impressive than most of the useless cretins to be found in Westminster.

Anyway, the point is that Salmond will attract a lot of separatist supporter, and the nationalist vote will now be divided. 
Due to the fact that Scotland uses the regional 'list' system, a sort of modified d'Hondt system based on the German system, having another party should actually benefit the SNP, especially as Alba are not standing any constituency candidates and are solely standing on the regional lists. It is the Scottish Greens, far more radical and progressive than their English brethren, and also in favour of independence, who would be most likely to suffer.
Provided word of how and where to best vote tactically gets out, you could end up with the SNP taking the constituency seats and Alba picking up some on the list.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:53pm

It's not not 'nonsense'. I've given you my subjective take on the matter. The SNP have fomented an Anglophobic grievance culture. If you disagree, well that's fine. 

Scotland are the much-smaller junior partners in Britain's imperialist enterprises after their own colonialist ambitions failed, and resent England as a result.

For what it's worth I have strong familial links to Scotland and am very fond of the country.

I don't care one way or another if Scotland succeed from the Union, though from a personal point of view, it would be interesting to be eligible to be entitled to three passports rather than just two.

It's just that for the above reasons I find the Scottish victim narrative rather galling given their history.
*secede

Sorry, I just found it irritating.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

*secede

Sorry, I just found it irritating.

Sorry, an autocorrected typo. In gratitude I will point out every inadvertent spelling and grammatical mistake you make from now on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 502503504505506 534>
  Share Topic