You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 534>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:19am
Jesus really hope Charles Kennedy gets the help he needs
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Suppose it's too much to hope that one of those Labour loses is that odious f**k Jim Murphy

He only had a 1% lead in his constituency in the latest Lord Ashcroft poll. The SNP candidate is a 20 year firebrand called Mhairi Black who was on the bottom of the Nicola Sturgeon wrecking ball article. I'd be amazed if he lost but she's got a powerful grassroots campaign. http://twitter.com/mhairi1921

EDIT: I'm mistaken. She's actually up against Labours Douglas Alexander and his seat is in serious danger.

Edited by colemanY2K - 13 Mar 2015 at 12:25am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Labour should make a coalition with Jeremy Clarkson and his 700,000 petition signatures LOL

I heard you're flying the flag for UKIP in Sunderland mate

Me and Farage have something in common  - sitting in the pub 24/7 LOLClap
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:03pm
Miliband has ruled out a coalition witn the SNP
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:46pm

Yeah a formal coalition ? Don't think the snp would enter one even if they were begged

A working 'arrangement' is a different matter all together
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Yeah a formal coalition ? Don't think the snp would enter one even if they were begged

A working 'arrangement' is a different matter all together

Yeah Sturgeon came out and said it fairly quickly.Both however didn't rule out an informal arrangement of supply and confidence (Similar to what Labour had under Callaghan in the 70's with the Liberals)

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 4:39pm
It was a logical and most obvious thing to do given the ridiculous sniping going on from the other parties re a coalition.

Also makes it less likely for English swing voters to move away from Labour because of the perceived likelihood of a formal coalition with the snp.

Edited by colemanY2K - 16 Mar 2015 at 4:40pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 4:52pm
Great and hilarious article from Mark Steele in the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/how-dare-anyone-ask-david-cameron-to-take-part-in-the-tv-debates--dont-they-know-who-he-is-10104861.html

My favourite bit

Quote I suppose you can see Cameron’s point of view, that it’s grossly unfair for someone to become Prime Minister when they haven’t won a majority, by doing some sort of a deal with another party. That’s why it must be especially horrifying to imagine the SNP having some sort of influence in parliament, when they’ve cheated by exploiting the “get more votes than the other parties” loophole.
Then the SNP plan to vote – that’s right VOTE – in a parliament they’ve been elected to, and which Cameron spent a year demanding they had to carry on being governed by. The cheating Scottish bastards. The next set of posters should make his point even clearer and say, “Vote Labour and wake up being dragged by horses to Arbroath by marauding Highlanders who lock you and your children in a dungeon while they stand above you laughing and eating raw squirrels.”

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 5:04pm
Mark Steel is brilliant, his in town series was brilliant as were his books. Proper lefty and funny man. Big Palace fan too
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 5:07pm
Mark Steel Clap Very funny fella.
Galoglas View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galoglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 6:47pm
There was no chance the SNP would ever go into a coalition with Labour. There would be no point.The SNP don't want seats at the British cabinet or power for the sake of it in London.They want to get down there and get out again as soon as possible.
Nicola Sturgeon has played it very cleverly and stitched him up already by offering a way of keeping the Tories out through an informal arrangement. So really in the eyes of English voters he is no further on and if he wavers at all then the Labour voters in Scotland that are left will jump ship as well.
In the old days here it was arguments of left against right,now it is very clearly unionist against those who want independence. 
Aberdeen have what money can't buy - a soul, a team spirit built in a family tradition"
Di Stefano
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 12:43pm
George's final budget today and half of it reeks of getting votes in the election rather than thinking economy. Keeps mentioning employment but doesn't mention how many on welfare sanctions and/or zero-hour contracts, just pulling numbers out of his ass.

Tax duty on Spirits, pints and cigarettes(!) is expected and will get them extra votes

Edited by coyne - 18 Mar 2015 at 12:45pm
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 12:50pm
I'm not one to Say I'm happy to live in Ireland but when it comes to the process of electing our politicians I really do pity the British and the fact that they voted against PR EmbarrassedEmbarrassed.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 1:41pm
Never had a chance to vote on PR, all that was offered was AV which is crap but better then the current system. Of course, like in the Scottish election the Tories and Labour banded together to make sure it was rejected.

I'm thinking of voting Green. It's a pity their leader is so poor on TV, they're losing votes because of her.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Never had a chance to vote on PR, all that was offered was AV which is crap but better then the current system. Of course, like in the Scottish election the Tories and Labour banded together to make sure it was rejected.

I'm thinking of voting Green. It's a pity their leader is so poor on TV, they're losing votes because of her.

Yes you're correct it was AV not PR I actually thought they we're similar enough but not the case, either way not real democracy in Britain and until its changed many segments of British society particularly the lower classes will continue to be under represented in Westminster.   
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 2:59pm
Only the upper classes can claim representation at Westminster, look at the backgrounds of the Tory, Red Tory and Lib dem politicians and not many Tony Benn types, including his offspring
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:01pm
Yep, it's ridiculous really. It's a voting system that only works in a two party system. With 5 parties in England looking like they'll get at least 5% of the vote (Con, Lab, LD, UKIP and Green) the first past the post system is completely undemocratic. A huge number of MPs will be elected with around 30%-35% of the vote.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:17pm
And then factor in turnout, 36% at the last locals, 65% at the last general. I would predict between 55% and 60% this time. Hardly a case for democracy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 534>
  Share Topic