You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444445446447448 535>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Will Corbyn go if the Torys get a majority 

That isn't certain, there is a possibility that if the margin of victory isn't that great that he can brass neck it. However I was reading an analysis that claimed Corbyn's main objective is not to be PM but to make sure that Labour will return to its left wing roots and that he is getting his people into very powerful positions behind the scenes so that for a generation at least the changes he has made will not be reversed. Momentum it is well recognized now holds huge sway in the party as do some trade unions. That will be Corbyn's legacy.

Going to be diffcult to achieve that - Labours heydays were in the 60's if you discount the Blairbour years. The legacy of the Thatcher period seems to me (albeit from the outside looking in) to have succeeded in destroying social democratic values.

It has already been mostly achieved. The hard part is achieving power with it. But Labour barring the Blair years has always tended to be left wing. Clement Atlee, Harold Wilson, Neil Kinnock, Michael Foot and now Corbyn. Momentum is the key to it all. That is where the real power lies now. That was why there was an attempt to overthrow Corbyn at the time.  
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He has, several times. It’s ridiculous at this stage. Anti-Semitism has only become a thing since 2015. There was 18 mentions of his name in the media connected to it before then, all to do with him condemning it. There are over 10,000 since. To put that in context, there have been 164 about Johnson and Islamophobia. I will try and dig out the article later.

He cannot keep apologising, because they will just find a different stick to beat him with it. The British media, particularly the BBC, have been an utter disgrace.

This is 100% correct. It's an utter red herring trumpeted by a media dead set against him from day one.

He's been stuck between a rock and a hard place with Brexit hence the fudging. Labour's traditional vote is pro Brexit. They're lost if he comes out saying outright he won't go through with it. He's right that the EU needs major reform as well which has always been his positon. 

Labour was dead after Blair, Brown and Milliband had moved it to Tory light. He's managed to outperform Milliband's election last time despite constant attacks from the media on the right, the Blair wing of his own party and their cheerleaders from the supposed liberal media in the likes of the guardian. Done alright to even be in the equation under those circumstances.

We're such cheerleaders for the EU in this country that all the media coverage over here is massively skewed and can't seem to accept that rightly or wrongly, 52% of the Brits wanted to leave. I think it's a bad idea personally but it's their choice.

Anyway, a Boris win is another step closer to the break up of the union which is some consolation. 

I don't think that's true. I think the media here and people in general while thinking Brexit is absolutely bonkers and shows the Brits in a far from favourable light, fully accept that the British are fully entitled to leave the EU if they want, as long as they don't screw up the situation in the North. 

I don't think the two points are mutually exclusive. I agree that it's bonkers and it shows them in a bad light. But i see some very biased coverage outside of the situation with the North. There's very little ctiticism of the EU (which I'm broaadly in favour of as originally imagined) in our media or political discourse despute them absiolutely screwing us over the bailout. There wasn't any outrage over us being forced to vote again twice after rejected referendums We dof our cap to them.

To be fair with the two referendums, particularly Lisbon, it wasn't a case of just voting on the same thing again. Irish concerns were taken on board, changes were made and the issue voted on again. 

Spin. The changes were window dressing.

I voted no on Lisbon II but there were significant changes made to the document. New legislation was put to the Irish people, we rejected it, they made concessions and we voted again. That is democracy how it should work yet people keep spouting this nonsense that we voted on the same thing twice and were forced into Lisbon.

What concessions? 

Guarantees on neutrality? Funny how the European military drum keeps getting banged.

Guarantees on taxation? That's still in their sights.

Or the protection of the commissioner? Jobs for the boys. Great.

The reason they are "banging the drum" and "have it in their sight" is because of these concessions. If it wasn't for these would likely have gone through by now.  

Lisbon was just another step in the march which is why it should have been rejected. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 4:45pm

Kuenssberg claiming postal votes not looking good for Labour. This is extraordinary and has to see her lose her job! She has either looked in boxes, which is illegal, or is using her position to help the Tories. Again. 
Her performance has been unbelievable in this election. She’s definitely f**ked him.

This has crossed my mind before 

Edited by colemanY2K - 11 Dec 2019 at 4:49pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 7:13pm

He has, several times. It’s ridiculous at this stage. Anti-Semitism has only become a thing since 2015. There was 18 mentions of his name in the media connected to it before then, all to do with him condemning it. There are over 10,000 since. To put that in context, there have been 164 about Johnson and Islamophobia. I will try and dig out the article later.

He cannot keep apologising, because they will just find a different stick to beat him with it. The British media, particularly the BBC, have been an utter disgrace.

This is 100% correct. It's an utter red herring trumpeted by a media dead set against him from day one.

He's been stuck between a rock and a hard place with Brexit hence the fudging. Labour's traditional vote is pro Brexit. They're lost if he comes out saying outright he won't go through with it. He's right that the EU needs major reform as well which has always been his positon. 

Labour was dead after Blair, Brown and Milliband had moved it to Tory light. He's managed to outperform Milliband's election last time despite constant attacks from the media on the right, the Blair wing of his own party and their cheerleaders from the supposed liberal media in the likes of the guardian. Done alright to even be in the equation under those circumstances.

We're such cheerleaders for the EU in this country that all the media coverage over here is massively skewed and can't seem to accept that rightly or wrongly, 52% of the Brits wanted to leave. I think it's a bad idea personally but it's their choice.

Anyway, a Boris win is another step closer to the break up of the union which is some consolation. 

I don't think that's true. I think the media here and people in general while thinking Brexit is absolutely bonkers and shows the Brits in a far from favourable light, fully accept that the British are fully entitled to leave the EU if they want, as long as they don't screw up the situation in the North. 

I don't think the two points are mutually exclusive. I agree that it's bonkers and it shows them in a bad light. But i see some very biased coverage outside of the situation with the North. There's very little ctiticism of the EU (which I'm broaadly in favour of as originally imagined) in our media or political discourse despute them absiolutely screwing us over the bailout. There wasn't any outrage over us being forced to vote again twice after rejected referendums We dof our cap to them.

To be fair with the two referendums, particularly Lisbon, it wasn't a case of just voting on the same thing again. Irish concerns were taken on board, changes were made and the issue voted on again. 

Spin. The changes were window dressing.

I voted no on Lisbon II but there were significant changes made to the document. New legislation was put to the Irish people, we rejected it, they made concessions and we voted again. That is democracy how it should work yet people keep spouting this nonsense that we voted on the same thing twice and were forced into Lisbon.

Nobody had a clue the first time. We went into recession the second time and people still didn't have a clue.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 7:38pm
not withstanding the anti semitism  smears from the media the fact that we have endured the kost incompetent  conservative government in May ( remember her ) /Johnson in living memory and likely the last 100 years and Labour aren't an odds on  shoe in tells you all you need to know about the current labour leadership - it is chronic .

His non position on Brexit is an absolute cop out and his reasoning that he can unite the country by not taking a position is pie in the sky stuff

Also his lambasting the Johnson deal because of a border in the irish sea is frankly not getting him any kudos in the NR household given that
a. Johnsons deal is greener than May's
b. only a few wing nuts in GB give a flying fuk about NI

He may be a lot of things but he is unelectable

Edited by Newryrep - 11 Dec 2019 at 7:38pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

not withstanding the anti semitism  smears from the media the fact that we have endured the kost incompetent  conservative government in May ( remember her ) /Johnson in living memory and likely the last 100 years and Labour aren't an odds on  shoe in tells you all you need to know about the current labour leadership - it is chronic .

His non position on Brexit is an absolute cop out and his reasoning that he can unite the country by not taking a position is pie in the sky stuff

Also his lambasting the Johnson deal because of a border in the irish sea is frankly not getting him any kudos in the NR household given that

A load of wank. I honestly expected better. It’s semi-literate.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:04pm

A load of wank. I honestly expected better. It’s semi-literate.

feel free to point out the errors of my ways Big smile
Labour are a shoe in for victory ?
Johnsons deal isn't greeners than Mays ? it is  wedge in the door that will get bigger and bigger
people do give a fuk about NI in GB ?

Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:12pm
I would be delighted to, genuinely, if it was remotely literate! Topper gives me more to go on.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:25pm

I would be delighted to, genuinely, if it was remotely literate! Topper gives me more to go on.

really ?

You have absolutely no idea what I was saying  ?

and  I mean absolutely ?

same with everybody else ? 

I might as well have written in some obscure long forgotten ancient script ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:26pm

really ?

and  I mean absolutely ?

Politically literate! And no, you may has well have written for the S*n, Mail or BBC

Edited by pre Madonna - 11 Dec 2019 at 8:28pm
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:45pm

really ?

and  I mean absolutely ?

Politically literate! And no, you may has well have written for the S*n, Mail or BBC

standards PM standards !
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:50pm

really ?

and  I mean absolutely ?

standards PM standards !
Fair point! I’m seven pints in and sh*tting it. I f**king love where I live and, if things go wrong, I’ll have to find somewhere else to live. It’s terrifying.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:02pm
Where would you move to?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:14pm

Where would you move to?
France is most likely. Won’t be today or tomorrow, the damage won’t be overnight, but I guarantee it will be disastrous within a year. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:18pm

Where would you move to?

I'm going for Cuba or North Korea.

I'm obviously just kidding!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:24pm

really ?

and  I mean absolutely ?

standards PM standards !
Fair point! I’m seven pints in and sh*tting it. I f**king love where I live and, if things go wrong, I’ll have to find somewhere else to live. It’s terrifying.

Go steady on the pints PM - Tomorrow is another day and there is still a chance that things may not turn out as bad as we all think.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:40pm

Where would you move to?
France is most likely. Won’t be today or tomorrow, the damage won’t be overnight, but I guarantee it will be disastrous within a year. 
At least there’s no far right or racists in France.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:42pm
Would you move to an independent Scotland in the EU or move to an indpendent Ireland in the EU.
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444445446447448 535>
  Share Topic