You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 443444445446447 534>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He has, several times. It’s ridiculous at this stage. Anti-Semitism has only become a thing since 2015. There was 18 mentions of his name in the media connected to it before then, all to do with him condemning it. There are over 10,000 since. To put that in context, there have been 164 about Johnson and Islamophobia. I will try and dig out the article later.

He cannot keep apologising, because they will just find a different stick to beat him with it. The British media, particularly the BBC, have been an utter disgrace.

This is 100% correct. It's an utter red herring trumpeted by a media dead set against him from day one.

He's been stuck between a rock and a hard place with Brexit hence the fudging. Labour's traditional vote is pro Brexit. They're lost if he comes out saying outright he won't go through with it. He's right that the EU needs major reform as well which has always been his positon. 

Labour was dead after Blair, Brown and Milliband had moved it to Tory light. He's managed to outperform Milliband's election last time despite constant attacks from the media on the right, the Blair wing of his own party and their cheerleaders from the supposed liberal media in the likes of the guardian. Done alright to even be in the equation under those circumstances.

We're such cheerleaders for the EU in this country that all the media coverage over here is massively skewed and can't seem to accept that rightly or wrongly, 52% of the Brits wanted to leave. I think it's a bad idea personally but it's their choice.

Anyway, a Boris win is another step closer to the break up of the union which is some consolation. 

I don't think that's true. I think the media here and people in general while thinking Brexit is absolutely bonkers and shows the Brits in a far from favourable light, fully accept that the British are fully entitled to leave the EU if they want, as long as they don't screw up the situation in the North. 

I don't think the two points are mutually exclusive. I agree that it's bonkers and it shows them in a bad light. But i see some very biased coverage outside of the situation with the North. There's very little ctiticism of the EU (which I'm broaadly in favour of as originally imagined) in our media or political discourse despute them absiolutely screwing us over the bailout. There wasn't any outrage over us being forced to vote again twice after rejected referendums We dof our cap to them.

To be fair with the two referendums, particularly Lisbon, it wasn't a case of just voting on the same thing again. Irish concerns were taken on board, changes were made and the issue voted on again. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Will Corbyn go if the Torys get a majority 

Losing a majority to a man who referred muslim hijabs as 'looking like letterboxes' and 'look like bankrobbers'
Calling all gay people 'tank top bum boys' 
Calling all single mums 'irresponsible' 
Called all French people the Gestapo
Used the recent bridge attack to score political points

How can you not resign, how sh*t do you have to be to lose to all the above man.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:08pm

He has, several times. It’s ridiculous at this stage. Anti-Semitism has only become a thing since 2015. There was 18 mentions of his name in the media connected to it before then, all to do with him condemning it. There are over 10,000 since. To put that in context, there have been 164 about Johnson and Islamophobia. I will try and dig out the article later.

He cannot keep apologising, because they will just find a different stick to beat him with it. The British media, particularly the BBC, have been an utter disgrace.

This is 100% correct. It's an utter red herring trumpeted by a media dead set against him from day one.

He's been stuck between a rock and a hard place with Brexit hence the fudging. Labour's traditional vote is pro Brexit. They're lost if he comes out saying outright he won't go through with it. He's right that the EU needs major reform as well which has always been his positon. 

Labour was dead after Blair, Brown and Milliband had moved it to Tory light. He's managed to outperform Milliband's election last time despite constant attacks from the media on the right, the Blair wing of his own party and their cheerleaders from the supposed liberal media in the likes of the guardian. Done alright to even be in the equation under those circumstances.

We're such cheerleaders for the EU in this country that all the media coverage over here is massively skewed and can't seem to accept that rightly or wrongly, 52% of the Brits wanted to leave. I think it's a bad idea personally but it's their choice.

Anyway, a Boris win is another step closer to the break up of the union which is some consolation. 

I don't think that's true. I think the media here and people in general while thinking Brexit is absolutely bonkers and shows the Brits in a far from favourable light, fully accept that the British are fully entitled to leave the EU if they want, as long as they don't screw up the situation in the North. 

I don't think the two points are mutually exclusive. I agree that it's bonkers and it shows them in a bad light. But i see some very biased coverage outside of the situation with the North. There's very little ctiticism of the EU (which I'm broaadly in favour of as originally imagined) in our media or political discourse despute them absiolutely screwing us over the bailout. There wasn't any outrage over us being forced to vote again twice after rejected referendums We dof our cap to them.

To be fair with the two referendums, particularly Lisbon, it wasn't a case of just voting on the same thing again. Irish concerns were taken on board, changes were made and the issue voted on again. 

Spin. The changes were window dressing.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Losing a majority to a man who referred muslim hijabs as 'looking like letterboxes' and 'look like bankrobbers'

How can you not resign, how sh*t do you have to be to lose to all the above man.

Have any of those issues been consistently pushed by the media in the manner that Corbyn's imaginary anti-semitism has been?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:13pm

Have any of those issues been consistently pushed by the media in the manner that Corbyn's imaginary anti-semitism has been?

The Guardian being the largest print media pushing it....... 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:18pm

That isn't certain, there is a possibility that if the margin of victory isn't that great that he can brass neck it. However I was reading an analysis that claimed Corbyn's main objective is not to be PM but to make sure that Labour will return to its left wing roots and that he is getting his people into very powerful positions behind the scenes so that for a generation at least the changes he has made will not be reversed. Momentum it is well recognized now holds huge sway in the party as do some trade unions. That will be Corbyn's legacy.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:22pm

It's not imaginary though as people have left the Labour party for that very reason and are happy to say so. Now, obviously it will be blown up larger than it is for political gain but people do get influenced by this, rightly or wrongly. and writing those off who have left Labour as "Blair-ites" also just ignores the issue. What I don't understand is why Labour don't tackle it head on - Demonstrate through their actions that they are dealing with it and then cast the spotlight back on the Tories. Just telling the electorate it's a red herring won't working in convincing a lot of people. And it'll far too late to do anything about it when that shower of w**kers that is the Tories get their majority. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The Guardian being the largest print media pushing it....... 

Totally agree. Referenced their lack of support for Corbyn in earlier post. Utterly Balirite newspaper.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

It's not imaginary though as people have left the Labour party for that very reason and are happy to say so. Now, obviously it will be blown up larger than it is for political gain but people do get influenced by this, rightly or wrongly. and writing those off who have left Labour as "Blair-ites" also just ignores the issue. What I don't understand is why Labour don't tackle it head on - Demonstrate through their actions that they are dealing with it and then cast the spotlight back on the Tories. Just telling the electorate it's a red herring won't working in convincing a lot of people. And it'll far too late to do anything about it when that shower of w**kers that is the Tories get their majority. 

Nothing was ever mentioned about it until Corbyn saw off the leadership challenge in 2015 and those oppossed to him needed another stick to beat him with. Ciriticising Israel's actions shouldn't be equated to anti-semitism either. Had the Labour party actually united behind Corbyn after he hugely outperformed their results under Milliband in the last election, they'd be looking at a good shot at a win tomorrow. Instead, those loyal to the fialed New Labour mantra spat the dummy and stamped their feet and undermined him at every step.

The Democrats are doing the same in the states.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

That isn't certain, there is a possibility that if the margin of victory isn't that great that he can brass neck it. However I was reading an analysis that claimed Corbyn's main objective is not to be PM but to make sure that Labour will return to its left wing roots and that he is getting his people into very powerful positions behind the scenes so that for a generation at least the changes he has made will not be reversed. Momentum it is well recognized now holds huge sway in the party as do some trade unions. That will be Corbyn's legacy.

Going to be diffcult to achieve that - Labours heydays were in the 60's if you discount the Blairbour years. The legacy of the Thatcher period seems to me (albeit from the outside looking in) to have succeeded in destroying social democratic values.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:06pm

I voted no on Lisbon II but there were significant changes made to the document. New legislation was put to the Irish people, we rejected it, they made concessions and we voted again. That is democracy how it should work yet people keep spouting this nonsense that we voted on the same thing twice and were forced into Lisbon.

Edited by AnCearrbhach - 11 Dec 2019 at 2:08pm
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

I voted no on Lisbon II but there were significant changes made to the document. New legislation was put to the Irish people, we rejected it, they made concessions and we voted again. That is democracy how it should work yet people keep spouting this nonsense that we voted on the same thing twice and were forced into Lisbon.

What concessions? 

Guarantees on neutrality? Funny how the European military drum keeps getting banged.

Guarantees on taxation? That's still in their sights.

Or the protection of the commissioner? Jobs for the boys. Great.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:42pm

Read the manifesto. It tackles it head on.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:50pm

That says more about the electorate and the media. The whole thing isn’t rotten to the core, designed for scum like Johnson to win.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:54pm

Not many of the electorate will read through Labour's or indeed any manifesto. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:58pm

Not many of the electorate will read through Labour's or indeed any manifesto. 
You could read the Tory one having a sh*te and be finished in time to find its best use!
The media should have highlighted it, but they were too busy highlighting erroneous claims from the Tories. In fact, Labour announced separately from the rest of the manifesto in an attempt to highlight it, but it was ignored by the mainstream media.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:05pm
Kuenssberg claiming postal votes not looking good for Labour. This is extraordinary and has to see her lose her job! She has either looked in boxes, which is illegal, or is using her position to help the Tories. Again. 
Her performance has been unbelievable in this election. She’s definitely f**ked him.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:07pm

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

What concessions? 

Guarantees on neutrality? Funny how the European military drum keeps getting banged.

Guarantees on taxation? That's still in their sights.

Or the protection of the commissioner? Jobs for the boys. Great.

The reason they are "banging the drum" and "have it in their sight" is because of these concessions. If it wasn't for these would likely have gone through by now.  
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 443444445446447 534>
  Share Topic