You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 508509510511512 532>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by TigerRoll TigerRoll wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

No doubt that Labour are not in a good place but people predicting generations of Tory rule are wide of the mark. As was mentioned above, the issue of Brexit won the last election for the Tories. That won't exist at the next election. By then, you'd expect the impact of Brexit would be being felt by these working class areas that turned away from Labour and they'll realise they are worse off. Additionally, if Scotland leave the Union on the Tory's watch, you can be sure that people will blame them. 
Things can change very quickly in politics. 

What happens if Brexit works? 
As someone who voted remain, I’m delighted we’re out of the EU in hindsight. Look at the vaccine roll out in the U.K, that wouldn’t of been possible in the EU. And that theme will undoubtedly continue now, better trade deals around the world now also. 

What's this "we're" business? Are you British now?

Why did you vote remain? With hindsight you feel Britain will be able to negotiate better trade deals out of the EU. Did you not think this before the referendum and if not, why not?

You've been shown to be incorrect on the vaccine issue but lets say for argument sake that you are correct. It is one single, unprecedented, issue, the likes of which none of us will likely see again in our lifetime. Everyone, everywhere, will look back on this and point to how they should have done much better, no more so than the UK and it's horrendous death rate. But going forward, once the pandemic is behind us, how is being out of the EU of benefit to the UK? You mention they will get better trade deals around the world. That is just the usual British delusional arrogance and conceit that so many Brexiteers have swallowed. On what basis will they get better trade deals? Nearly all the trade deals they have done so far have been essentially a copy and paste job of the deal that had with countries while in the EU. In the deal with Japan, not all the agricultural goods that had reduced tariffs applied in the EU-Japan deal are included. Of those that are included, they will only qualify if the EU doesn't use up all of it's quota for those goods. They literally get the crumbs from the EU's table! What a brilliant deal for Liz Truss and global Britain LOL. Then you look at the debacle with fishing talks with Norway where they walked away from talks after the Norwegians didn't budge, the Norwegians insisting that they be no worse than they were before Brexit. This has ruined British fishermen, even more than they have already been ruined by essentially having no European market to sell their catch in thanks to Brexit. So much winning LOL.

Then you look at the UK's trading relationship with the EU. The EU is by far the UK's biggest trading partner, by a long way. Countries tend to do most of their trading with their neighbours. British businesses now have huge extra costs and massively reduced competitiveness as a result of trade barriers that the Brits have chosen to inflict on themselves. Lots of them who were dependant on the EU market will go out of business. What trade deals around the world are going to make up for this and what leverage do the UK have to ensure they get these brilliant deals? Make the other guys sit in an uncomfortable chair? Then you look at British imports from the EU. At the moment the Brits are waving everything through with no checks. This can't last and eventually that will affect British consumers and supply chains. 

I haven't even mentioned the small problem of the north!

So I ask you, how do you come to the conclusion that overall, the UK have done the right thing by leaving the EU?

Another Brexit win for global Britain, this time on UK hauliers facing a shortage of drivers.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1391678146584498177
That problem is ongoing the last 10-15 years it isn’t really a direct result of Brexit! If the money was more attractive and it wasn’t a hugely regulated industry more people might want to do it. It’s also very costly to obtain a licence and CPC now and young people don’t want to do the job anymore.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 May 2021 at 11:43am
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:15pm
Did you read through the twitter thread?
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:32pm

No link but probably the same news that was around yesterday about the shortages of drivers and tax changes along with Brexit.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 May 2021 at 12:35pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

No link but probably the same news that was around yesterday about the shortages of drivers and tax changes along with Brexit.

Thanks for the input so LOL
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:57pm

Thanks for the input so LOL
If you’re going to put up a link do it properly!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 May 2021 at 12:58pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:09pm
Can you not copy and paste it? Regardless of whether I made a mess of it or not, why would you comment on something when you aren't able to read the contents?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:14pm

Can you not copy and paste it? Regardless of whether I made a mess of it or not, why would you comment on something when you aren't able to read the contents?
i made a comment on why there’s really a shortage of drivers as that’s basically the story.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 May 2021 at 1:15pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:29pm
Ok good man, thanks LOL. The whole point is that it is going to be much, much worse once countries fully reopen after the pandemic because there will be a serious lack of EU drivers who went home due to covid and the tax changes and the British government won't classify truck drivers as skilled workers so that hauliers can recruit in the EU. There simply isn't enough British drivers to go around, even if you offer much better wages, which would push up prices. This is all going to result in deliveries not being fulfilled. Were deliveries regularly not fulfilled en masse in Britain prior to Brexit despite the problem being ongoing for years? Not to my knowledge. This is all explained (and much better than I can do) in the thread that you commented on without knowing what was in it. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:43pm

Ok good man, thanks LOL. The whole point is that it is going to be much, much worse once countries fully reopen after the pandemic because there will be a serious lack of EU drivers who went home due to covid and the tax changes and the British government won't classify truck drivers as skilled workers so that hauliers can recruit in the EU. There simply isn't enough British drivers to go around, even if you offer much better wages, which would push up prices. This is all going to result in deliveries not being fulfilled. Were deliveries regularly not fulfilled en masse in Britain prior to Brexit despite the problem being ongoing for years? Not to my knowledge. This is all explained (and much better than I can do) in the thread that you commented on without knowing what was in it. 
The influx of foreign drivers have destroyed the industry so it’s no bad thing in one way (i know i sound like a brexiteer with that statement but it’s true) Drivers in Ireland for example were earning more money 15-20 years ago than they are today and that’s as a result of opening up the borders around 2004 to Eastern Europe where we had an influx of polish drivers! The polish drivers are now getting under cut by the Romanians. These big companies who’ve been exploiting these workers are now playing the poor mouth saying they can’t get drivers if they put the money up they’ll get drivers they just don’t want to cut their profit margins by paying a decent wage.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 May 2021 at 1:45pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:52pm
There could very well be merit to that but it is a different issue. The issue here is that Brexit has caused a massive shortage of drivers near enough overnight with no plan or thought before Brexit or since as to how this can be sorted to avoid huge disruption to deliveries. Even if the wages were massively increased there just plain isn't anywhere near enough British drivers from what I have read. There was literally no plan before or since. And this is only one of many industries where there was no anticipation of the consequences of Brexit or a plan to mitigate the consequences. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:17pm

The influx of foreign drivers have destroyed the industry so it’s no bad thing in one way (i know i sound like a brexiteer with that statement but it’s true) Drivers in Ireland for example were earning more money 15-20 years ago than they are today and that’s as a result of opening up the borders around 2004 to Eastern Europe where we had an influx of polish drivers! The polish drivers are now getting under cut by the Romanians. These big companies who’ve been exploiting these workers are now playing the poor mouth saying they can’t get drivers if they put the money up they’ll get drivers they just don’t want to cut their profit margins by paying a decent wage.

You've contradicted the first half of your post with the 2nd half of it.

As you clarified, it's the companies who have destroyed the industry but lowering wages, exploiting non-national drivers.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:18pm
Having had to buy some small things from the UK for myself and through a business I will not be doing so again due to the import tax and delays. From speaking with a few people that do business via the UK they are doing the same and going to other parts of Europe or America. 

One can only guess that hundreds of thousands of other businesses have come to the same conclusion. 

I assume the pandemic has made it extremely difficult to gauge how bad an impact Brexit is really having, so it might be another 2 years or more. Boris can bluster his way through it all as per usual  

It would damage this forums' reputation
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 6:31am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:04am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:24am
The Morning Star. I could think of hundreds of better uses for the paper that it is printed on. Good for the bathroom, but not for reading.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:27am
I think I’d be more concerned with the royal nonce connections than where it’s printed.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:30am
You can be concerned, and dislike the source at the same time.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 2:44pm
cummings testimony is devastating. i hope he has the goods to back up his allegations and if he does then hancock is f**ked.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 508509510511512 532>
  Share Topic