You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 505506507508509 532>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by TigerRoll TigerRoll wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

The Hartlepool by-election on Thursday could post a very grim picture of how the next election will look;

Hartlepool was the official HQ of the Brexit Party and in the predominated Labour area before it fell, The Brexit party managed 10,000 votes which could swing the vote either way, and with Brexit out the way and done with and only COVID on people's minds, if the Sky blue voters went to Boris it's a big indicator it'll go the same everywhere else where the Brexit Party had an influence.

Boris could be looking at around 400 seats next election if the Brexiteer votes go to him.
Starmer must be a Tory plant!

I don't think Starmer will last the year tbh. The Tories are currently 1/10 for a constituency in the North East of England which has never not been Labour. 

And unless something is done to stop the rot, Labour will be lucky to see 100 seats.

The rot can’t be stopped. Labour could save themselves the hassle and rebrand as a new party. Labour are staring down the gun of generations of a Tory majority government. Once these areas swing Blue, which many already have it’ll be an extremely difficult job to turn them red again never mind making gains in traditional Tory strong holds. Labour neglected these areas for years, losing Scotland also has made any chance of a Labour government within the next 25 years extremely slim. Just look at the Liverpool council as an example too why people have turned their back on Labour.

If indeed Boris and the Conservatives win Hartlepool this evening, it’s a huge deal in British Politics and will all but confirm Britain is a right wing country for not the next few years, but generations. 

That's an exaggeration even for my standards!

But it's not true, the planned Tax rises across the board and the public paying for COVID all planned for 2026 will be where the working class areas start revolting.

I can't see Boris lasting beyond 2029 and they've got Sunak being highlighting himself as a potential future PM and that's whenever whoever the opposition is need to start making serious gains. A 200 seat swing isn't totally unrealistic, Blair came to close to it when he defeated Major.

But until then the next 8 years the country is effectively a single-party state
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:10am

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

The Hartlepool by-election on Thursday could post a very grim picture of how the next election will look;

Hartlepool was the official HQ of the Brexit Party and in the predominated Labour area before it fell, The Brexit party managed 10,000 votes which could swing the vote either way, and with Brexit out the way and done with and only COVID on people's minds, if the Sky blue voters went to Boris it's a big indicator it'll go the same everywhere else where the Brexit Party had an influence.

Boris could be looking at around 400 seats next election if the Brexiteer votes go to him.
Starmer must be a Tory plant!

I don't think Starmer will last the year tbh. The Tories are currently 1/10 for a constituency in the North East of England which has never not been Labour. 

And unless something is done to stop the rot, Labour will be lucky to see 100 seats.

The rot can’t be stopped. Labour could save themselves the hassle and rebrand as a new party. Labour are staring down the gun of generations of a Tory majority government. Once these areas swing Blue, which many already have it’ll be an extremely difficult job to turn them red again never mind making gains in traditional Tory strong holds. Labour neglected these areas for years, losing Scotland also has made any chance of a Labour government within the next 25 years extremely slim. Just look at the Liverpool council as an example too why people have turned their back on Labour.

If indeed Boris and the Conservatives win Hartlepool this evening, it’s a huge deal in British Politics and will all but confirm Britain is a right wing country for not the next few years, but generations. 

That's an exaggeration even for my standards!

But it's not true, the planned Tax rises across the board and the public paying for COVID all planned for 2026 will be where the working class areas start revolting.

I can't see Boris lasting beyond 2029 and they've got Sunak being highlighting himself as a potential future PM and that's whenever whoever the opposition is need to start making serious gains. A 200 seat swing isn't totally unrealistic, Blair came to close to it when he defeated Major.

But until then the next 8 years the country is effectively a single-party state

It’s time to face realty. Tonight is going to be another shocker for the Labour Party, council seats wiped out across the board. Here’a what you forgot, Blair got what 10/11 years, thatcher the same. People got tired bored fed up, switched over. Here Britain is 11 years into a Tory government. And votes are rising.
Labour are doomed, it’s just a reality. Corbyn was able to unbelievably hold off the rot in 2017, but now it’s a downward spiral really into the point of no return. Labour aren’t in the opposition in Scotland these days. Without having those seats in Wales/Scotland it’s impossible to even consider Labour as a threat to the Torys for 25+ years. The best Labour had after Corbyn was Starmer and look how that’s going. 

Edited by TigerRoll - 07 May 2021 at 12:17am
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:17am
It wasn't looking good for Labour going into this election and the early signs are indeed grim. Looks like Sunderland Council will possibly turn blue. If that is true then it'll be a bloodbath all over England.

Reports of a massive turnout in Scotland. We'll have an idea tomorrow evening whether the SNP are likely to get their majority. I suspect not given the design of the parliament but here's hoping I'm wrong. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:21am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It wasn't looking good for Labour going into this election and the early signs are indeed grim. Looks like Sunderland Council will possibly turn blue. If that is true then it'll be a bloodbath all over England.

Reports of a massive turnout in Scotland. We'll have an idea tomorrow evening whether the SNP are likely to get their majority. I suspect not given the design of the parliament but here's hoping I'm wrong. 

I know Blyth council is turning blue, which was the biggest shock of the last GE.

I can't speak for them but here it's more local issues, I believe we voted in a few Lib Dems in our wards and also a UKIP just to confuse everyone else watching on last time round, safe to say it's very unstable here nonetheless.
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:25am
Labour abandoned their core support years ago, working class families. In favour of a latte macchiato sipping metropolitan crowd, before moving into student politics. At the same time their voters under their own government seen mass immigration, jobs lost, lack of housing. The Labour Party also has no political vision, so what are people meant to vote for.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:14am
To summarise the state of North East Labour - Labour are taking that much of a battering we've got Greens and Independents chipping in and nicking a few LOL

It's like the first time you watched Germany score the 6th goal against Brazil you're thinking "This is funny to watch" and then they score the 7th goal and you're suddenly thinking "Actually, this is f**king sad to watch now"

That's the current state of Labour now.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 6:58am

Sunderland city council seats now stands at

Labour 42
Tories 18
LibDem 12
UKIP 3
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:23am
I see the Tory winner in Hartlepool in accepting victory said ‘....(the town) have had enough of Labour’.

The power of media.
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:39am
Nearly double the votes for the Conservatives candidate. LOL 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Sunderland city council seats now stands at

Labour 42
Tories 18
LibDem 12
UKIP 3

They're lucky they won as many as they did. They lost 9, lose 5 more at next election and they'll lose overall control. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:05am
It's brexit and nothing else. Every single thing in this country for the last 5 years has been about brexit. Labour lost millions of voters to ukip/brexit party who have now moved to the Conservatives.
It's the "I'm alright Jack" brigade, they've swung everything with their 15% of the population. Labour will never win them back, it'll need a new party being created.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

It's brexit and nothing else. Every single thing in this country for the last 5 years has been about brexit. Labour lost millions of voters to ukip/brexit party who have now moved to the Conservatives.
It's the "I'm alright Jack" brigade, they've swung everything with their 15% of the population. Labour will never win them back, it'll need a new party being created.
It can't explain everything otherwise the Lib Dems would get hammered. Instead we are seeing them win seats overnight.

Brexit is certainly a reason but so is the successful vaccine rollout (+ putting cash in peoples hands who would otherwise be out of a job helped) along with decades of local labour administrations taking voters for granted. 

Labour will never again win a majority. They can't without crushing the SNP in Scotland, reclaiming the lost seats in the so-called red wall and making up the lost ground in Wales. A hopeless task. The best they can hope for is a coalition with the Lib Dems and SNP. However such a coalition would be poison for a large section of the English electorate. I can't ever see that happening.

They would be doubly-f**ked if/when Scotland gains independence. 

The UK is now a single party state and will remain that way unless the Tory Party splits. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 07 May 2021 at 9:03am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:31am
No doubt that Labour are not in a good place but people predicting generations of Tory rule are wide of the mark. As was mentioned above, the issue of Brexit won the last election for the Tories. That won't exist at the next election. By then, you'd expect the impact of Brexit would be being felt by these working class areas that turned away from Labour and they'll realise they are worse off. Additionally, if Scotland leave the Union on the Tory's watch, you can be sure that people will blame them. 
Things can change very quickly in politics. 
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

No doubt that Labour are not in a good place but people predicting generations of Tory rule are wide of the mark. As was mentioned above, the issue of Brexit won the last election for the Tories. That won't exist at the next election. By then, you'd expect the impact of Brexit would be being felt by these working class areas that turned away from Labour and they'll realise they are worse off. Additionally, if Scotland leave the Union on the Tory's watch, you can be sure that people will blame them. 

What happens if Brexit works? 
As someone who voted remain, I’m delighted we’re out of the EU in hindsight. Look at the vaccine roll out in the U.K, that wouldn’t of been possible in the EU. And that theme will undoubtedly continue now, better trade deals around the world now also. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:26am

As someone who voted remain, I’m delighted we’re out of the EU in hindsight. Look at the vaccine roll out in the U.K, that wouldn’t of been possible in the EU. And that theme will undoubtedly continue now, better trade deals around the world now also. 

Re Brexit sounds a bit fishy to me.
Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:16am

they were still in the EU at the time you eejit , any country in the EU could of done what the  Uk done , ie  entered into an agreement with a pharmaceutical company/pre approved vaccines 4 weeks ahead of the EU Brexit had fuk all to do with it   - and that's even before the UK extended 12 weeks between doses which again any country is a liberty to do

Edited by Newryrep - 07 May 2021 at 11:17am
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

they were still in the EU at the time you eejit , any country in the EU could of done what the  Uk done , ie  entered into an agreement with a pharmaceutical company/pre approved vaccines 4 weeks ahead of the EU Brexit had fuk all to do with it   - and that's even before the UK extended 12 weeks between doses which again any country is a liberty to do

What a load of crap. Being out of the EU allowed the United Kingdom to negotiate a deal that was faster than the EU's as everyone seen with the AZ Vaccine deal. It allowed them to distribute the vaccine a lot faster as it wasnt broke down across the EU based on population. To clarify are you actually trying to claim if the UK, remained in the EU. It would be in its current position? 

Britains closed neighbours are still awaiting being able to sit in the pissing rain to enjoy a pint.. it's over a month away. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:14pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

What a load of crap. Being out of the EU allowed the United Kingdom to negotiate a deal that was faster than the EU's as everyone seen with the AZ Vaccine deal. It allowed them to distribute the vaccine a lot faster as it wasnt broke down across the EU based on population. To clarify are you actually trying to claim if the UK, remained in the EU. It would be in its current position? 

Britains closed neighbours are still awaiting being able to sit in the pissing rain to enjoy a pint.. it's over a month away. 
You are factually incorrect and NR is indeed right in what he said. 

EU states could have negotiated side deals for extra doses but they chose initially not to. In fact countries like Germany had indeed begun the process but were convinced by Brussels to pull back and to centralise it to ensure there was a sense of fairness throughout the bloc. The Brits opted out but they could have opted in AND they could have negotiated extra doses but they chose to go their own way. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 07 May 2021 at 12:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 505506507508509 532>
  Share Topic