You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 493494495496497 531>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:13pm
In fairness a large influence on party policy takes into account that the world is only 6,000 years old and a desire to save Ulster from sodomy. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Sammy is a mouthy populist for the lumpen proletariat wing of unionism. Coming out with a lot of anti-mask, anti-Covid rules bullsh*t at home as is his equally gross compatriot Ian Paisley jnr, despite their constituencies being particularly badly affected by the virus. Some tensions between these two in particular and the Parliamentary party in general, versus the NI Assembly faction which is headed by current DUP leader Arlene Foster. You will have gathered that this is not a political party that is over-endowed with talent.

As the inevitable border poll draws ever nearer, the inconvenient problem of  just what to do with Big Arlene, Sammy and the like becomes ever more immediate a concern.

I guess a one-way ticket for the Belfast to Cairnryan ferry is one option, though Ersatz Thistle may have something to say about that...

Edited by NewtNewbie - 14 Sep 2020 at 10:19pm
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Sammy is a mouthy populist for the lumpen proletariat wing of unionism. Coming out with a lot of anti-mask, anti-Covid rules bullsh*t at home as is his equally gross compatriot Ian Paisley jnr, despite their constituencies being particularly badly affected by the virus. Some tensions between these two in particular and the Parliamentary party in general, versus the NI Assembly faction which is headed by current DUP leader Arlene Foster. You will have gathered that this is not a political party that is over-endowed with talent.

As the inevitable border poll draws ever nearer, the inconvenient problem of  just what to do with Big Arlene, Sammy and the like becomes ever more immediate a concern.

I guess a one-way ticket for the Belfast to Cairnryan ferry is one option, though Ersatz Thistle may have something to say about that...

It draws nearer, but it wouldn’t pass tomorrow or for the foreseeable future until the fall out from Brexit is seen in hindsight. Keep in mind there still is the potential for it to be a success, eventually. As a nationalist from Northern Ireland, I’m aware of that. Most people are content with benefits from her majesty, free healthcare and so on. SF can keep banging on, but if they had the chance for a poll tomorrow I believe they know it would fail.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 11:16pm

Stick Gregory Campbell down the Gaeltacht. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:50am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Óglaigh Gregory Campbell
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Óglaigh Gregory Campbell
Is it not Oglach for the singular? 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:52am
340-263. It wasn’t even close.

It’s been mentioned before but with such a huge majority he gets to do whatever he wants whenever he wants and the people to blame are the ones who allowed the huge majority.

The only time he’ll consider reversing decisions is if it’ll cause unrest on the frontbench.

He’s got own people who lost in the last election up in the House of Lords too. Got to hand it to the man he’s not as stupid as he looks.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:54am
UK simply cannot be trusted. It’s an international laughing stock. A failed nation.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:45pm
Rogue state. No chance of a trade deal with USA as things stand and other countries contemplating one will be looking at inserting ultra punitive clauses that will become operative in the event of their deals being dishonoured. Re the House of Lords, it's a horse of a different colour currently with a large remainer majority. They will certainly unpick the bill if it gets there and technically could scupper it altogether by running down time, also their interventions will have to be considered by the Commons with scope for further amendments. A dog's dinner all round for the Pariah state no matter how you look at it.

Edited by Green Cockade - 15 Sep 2020 at 12:49pm
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:47pm
It looks like the UK will be satisfied with no deal. The problem with that is that we won't bring in border controls. Does that mean we get fined?

Edited by Jackal - 15 Sep 2020 at 12:48pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

It looks like the UK will be satisfied with no deal. The problem with that is that we won't bring in border controls. Does that mean we get fined?

My understanding would lead me to to think the Brits would eventually have to put up some border controls if they are trading with the EU on WTO terms. If they leave the border wide open then there can be no tariffs and if there are no tariffs then every country in the world that they don't have a trade deal with has to have tariff free access under the WTO most favoured nation rule. 

For ourselves, my understanding is that we would have a choice. We would either have to put in border controls or there would have to be checks on Irish products going into the rest of the EU.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

My understanding would lead me to to think the Brits would eventually have to put up some border controls if they are trading with the EU on WTO terms. 

I think there's alot of mis-understanding about what the bill means but this pretty much summarises it.

The Brits have voted to take control of the goods coming in and out of Northern Ireland despite NI still being part of the EU single market, it's controversial because it's dishonourable and it's basically hijacking the EU's control of goods in NI.

The problem is that there's gonna be a sort of inevitability that with NI goods under Brit control they'll place tariffs on goods heading from Britain to EU which also means goods from NI to ROI, therefore border checks.
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:11pm

Rogue state. No chance of a trade deal with USA as things stand and other countries contemplating one will be looking at inserting ultra punitive clauses that will become operative in the event of their deals being dishonoured. Re the House of Lords, it's a horse of a different colour currently with a large remainer majority. They will certainly unpick the bill if it gets there and technically could scupper it altogether by running down time, also their interventions will have to be considered by the Commons with scope for further amendments. A dog's dinner all round for the Pariah state no matter how you look at it.

There absolutely will be a trade deal with the US. Nonsense. 

I don’t agree with their changes, voluntary breaking international law does nothing bar lose international respect. Except to one individual who lives in the Whitehouse who sees it as giving the fingers to Brussels. It’s still a game of bluff, the EU need to change their stance on a few aspects and vica versa. Boris was elected with a huge majority with the promise of a no deal was never off the table. I’m not quite sure why people are surprised.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:08pm
I doubt if many are surprised, certainly not those who have observed the delusional jingoism and lemming-like rush to the cliff edge by English nationalists over the course of the last few years. There may well be bluff behind the bill; if so, it is spectacularly ill-advised in substance as well as principle and has been a serious act of self-harm in terms of diplomatic and international credibility. Some are anticipating a desperately spun climb down to be hastily cobbled together in the next few days. Others are predicting full steam ahead to a hard Brexit with the full impact of the consequences becoming clear in a matter of months. The latter prognosis would involve Johnson's hedge fund backers cleaning up by shorting the pound and his Russian associates reporting job done to their bosses. Bojo would be financially set for life and could jump ship before the serious excrement starts hitting the fan. Looking at him being ripped to shreds point by point by Miliband yesterday, I am inclined to believe the growing rumours that he is getting out in January and will take his director Cummings with him.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:20pm

I doubt if many are surprised, certainly not those who have observed the delusional jingoism and lemming-like rush to the cliff edge by English nationalists over the course of the last few years. There may well be bluff behind the bill; if so, it is spectacularly ill-advised in substance as well as principle and has been a serious act of self-harm in terms of diplomatic and international credibility. Some are anticipating a desperately spun climb down to be hastily cobbled together in the next few days. Others are predicting full steam ahead to a hard Brexit with the full impact of the consequences becoming clear in a matter of months. The latter prognosis would involve Johnson's hedge fund backers cleaning up by shorting the pound and his Russian associates reporting job done to their bosses. Bojo would be financially set for life and could jump ship before the serious excrement starts hitting the fan. Looking at him being ripped to shreds point by point by Miliband yesterday, I am inclined to believe the growing rumours that he is getting out in January and will take his director Cummings with him.

Criminal kleptocracy is definitely at the heart of the Brexit project

I'd bet me last euro on it

I don't expect Johnson to jump ship however

Power for power's sake is like a drug for these ****s
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

UK simply cannot be trusted. It’s an international laughing stock. A failed nation.

The UK

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 10:25am
WHO SAID THAT ?

(A) " There will be no downside to Brexit. Only a considerable upside."

(B) " The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want."

(C) " Getting out of the EU will be quick and easy. The UK holds most of the cards."

(D) " The FTA that we will do with the EU should be one of the easiest in human history."

(E) " I think we could very easily get a better trade deal than we have at the moment."

(F) " Trade relations with the EU could be sorted out in an afternoon over a cup of tea."

ANSWERS:

(A) David Davis

(B) Michael Gove

(C) John Redwood

(D) Liam Fox

(E) Douglas Carswell

(F) Gerard Batten
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I'm not sure you've read the script properly.

The BBC are nearly as bad as The Daily Mail when it comes to Tory favourtism.

Laura Kuenssberg is up there with Kay Burley when it comes most hated TV journalists purely because she doesn't even attempt to hide the fact she's a Tory donor
The fact she's been repriamanded by OFCOM and The Electrol Commission on numerous occasions emphasises it. 

Was only the last GE where she was scheming for the Tories again by leaking the postal vote count live on air, that's effectively election fraud which no doubt the Tories gave a few backhanders to do, so why the Tories would benefit from getting rid of BBC News which means getting rid of her is beyond me.
I know the script perfectly

The strategy of right-wing nutcases is to continually run public institutions of value into the ground by stealth, so that they appear to be of less value than they actually are

They can't just abolish the NHS or the BBC in one fell swoop because these institutions are beloved of the public, even most Tory voters

So they chip away and chip away in the background

That's what they've been doing to the NHS for decades

That's what they're doing to the BBC, they get their goons in there to impose subtle pro-Tory bias, or in occasional cases, not so subtle pro-Tory bias

By doing this, they divide and conquer - because if they can get the BBC to appear biased in favour of the Tories, then they weaken opposition from Labour voters in terms of, say, getting rid of the 6pm and 10pm news, or privatising the BBC or even abolishing it

The ideal situation for the Tories in terms of demolishing the BBC is that you have Tory Brexiteers pushed into believing "f**k the BBC, they're elite, Islington garden party attending middle class Europhile Remainer scum", while Labour voters say "f**k the BBC, they're only Tories anyway"

Therefore, overall public trust in the BBC goes down - and this fall in trust comes from both the right and the left, so weakening opposition to the destruction of the BBC as an institution

And that, sad to say, is what is happening

If they can continually chip away at the NHS, continually privatise more and more bits of it, the NHS is continually weakened and functions more and more poorly - which is the aim - so they get people to say "the NHS is not fit for purpose" or "we can't afford the NHS" or stuff like that

They portray privatised alternatives as "efficient", "choice", "well run", "value for money" etc., all positive phrases - yet in reality that's utter bunkum - it's the privatised bits of the NHS that are failing

The whole thing is a con - the real aims of right-wing nutcases are very unpopular - so they find strategies to cloak their real aims, to lie, in other words, and also to divide opposition so that damaging changes which the public don't want are pushed through without the public really even knowing what's happening, they also devise tactics whereby sections of the public are manipulated into calling for things they don't actually want

The Cummings driving to Durham thing was a classic of manipulating the public into calling for something they didn't want - by Cummings giving such a pointed two fingers to the lockdown, the public then said "f**k the lockdown" as a result because Cummings was seen to insult the public

But the public had actually still wanted the lockdown, whereas the Tories didn't - they never wanted it - and thus the public were manipulated into doing what the Tories wanted, and opposition to opening up again fell away

Right-wing nutcases use government to deliberately destroy public institutions

That's absolutely what the Tories do

You can recognise that Kuennsberg etc. are clearly biased in favour of the Tories, and that much of the BBC's political or news coverage displays subtle pro-Tory bias, while at the same time recognising that the BBC, including BBC News - especially BBC News actually - is a public institution of massive intrinsic value to British society, culture and education and needs to be protected 

You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater

Because if the BBC is not protected, it will never be revived, and the alternative is a hell of a lot worse, the alternative is ultimately a landscape of British Fox Newses to permanently poison public debate - and mark my words, that's what the Tories want

Andrew Neil leaves the BBC to front a new Fox News type channel

Rupert Murdoch starting a second UK based Fox News channel next year

Paul Dacre of the Daily Mail being brought in to run Ofcom, the UK media regulator

Charles Moore, the former editor of the Daily Telegraph, being made chairman of the BBC - obviously in order to run it into the ground

I f**king hate being proved correct about things

Things are going to get a lot, lot worse for Britain
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 493494495496497 531>
  Share Topic