You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 353354355356357 532>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Honestly, I don’t believe it’s all about being think. I think it was a misplaced trust in democratic institutions to deliver a best outcome in unchartered territory. I think there was a relatively educated leave vote that believed that the UK and EU saw sufficient mutual benefits that they would hammer out a deal which brought with it many of the existing facets of being an EU member while being on the outside.These people simply didn’t bank on political events overtaking the vote (the 2017 GE) providing major power to Brexiteers, who have been willing to wear their Europhobia on their sleeve and really push for a hard Brexit, knowing that May does not have the numbers to pass votes without much more than token debate. Between the LD’s unwilling to vote for anything which represents Brexit, Labour leadership copping out of the debate to the point the party is as split on the issue as the Tories , and the DUP’s role as kingmakers, the outcome is looking ominous.

Ultimately, there was some serious naivety on the part of those who voted out believing a deal would be easily ratified. It’s akin to a contentious divorce where neither side is willing to give the other any quarter, and neither side have an interest in ceding too much to the other side.

A lot of that I would agree with but there is also a huge amount of utter morons who just blindly believe in British exceptionalism, that the EU is the root of all evil, is holding them back and that if they just hold their nerve that either the EU will completely capitulate to all their demands or that "project fear" in the event of no deal will be shown to be utter nonsense and they will prosper like never before. All you have to do is look at the comment on social media and the likes of the Daily Mail. One example here:

Isn’t it time we call the EU bluff we will keep the 39 billion and if you don’t want to trade do one the EU will crumble within 6 months

That's the kind of stuff you're dealing with and it isn't a very small minority. Look at the absolute thicks in Sunderland. All the polls showing that Sunderland would vote for leave again despite the calamity that it is clear will befall them and has been made clear by the largest employer in the region. They just plain don't believe it. I suspect that even if Britain turned into Venezuela (I'm not saying that is going to happen) with hungry people searching through rubbish that they still wouldn't believe it. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Honestly, I don’t believe it’s all about being think. I think it was a misplaced trust in democratic institutions to deliver a best outcome in unchartered territory. I think there was a relatively educated leave vote that believed that the UK and EU saw sufficient mutual benefits that they would hammer out a deal which brought with it many of the existing facets of being an EU member while being on the outside.These people simply didn’t bank on political events overtaking the vote (the 2017 GE) providing major power to Brexiteers, who have been willing to wear their Europhobia on their sleeve and really push for a hard Brexit, knowing that May does not have the numbers to pass votes without much more than token debate. Between the LD’s unwilling to vote for anything which represents Brexit, Labour leadership copping out of the debate to the point the party is as split on the issue as the Tories , and the DUP’s role as kingmakers, the outcome is looking ominous.

Ultimately, there was some serious naivety on the part of those who voted out believing a deal would be easily ratified. It’s akin to a contentious divorce where neither side is willing to give the other any quarter, and neither side have an interest in ceding too much to the other side.

A lot of that I would agree with but there is also a huge amount of utter morons who just blindly believe in British exceptionalism, that the EU is the root of all evil, is holding them back and that if they just hold their nerve that either the EU will completely capitulate to all their demands or that "project fear" in the event of no deal will be shown to be utter nonsense and they will prosper like never before. All you have to do is look at the comment on social media and the likes of the Daily Mail. One example here:

Isn’t it time we call the EU bluff we will keep the 39 billion and if you don’t want to trade do one the EU will crumble within 6 months

That's the kind of stuff you're dealing with and it isn't a very small minority. Look at the absolute thicks in Sunderland. All the polls showing that Sunderland would vote for leave again despite the calamity that it is clear will befall them and has been made clear by the largest employer in the region. They just plain don't believe it. I suspect that even if Britain turned into Venezuela (I'm not saying that is going to happen) with hungry people searching through rubbish that they still wouldn't believe it. 

It’s a product of the post truth environment. Thanks to the Internet we can always find somebody who agrees with us, and we can easily spread information littered with emotion and political bias, but very light on facts or good quality arguments. When I think about the likes of Gove and his comments about “experts”, I feel we really have hit rock bottom in terms of political discourse. Expert voice legitimately carries greater weight. Fact based analysis legimately should carry extra weight. But rather than seek them out, people whose emotion compels them o make robust political judgement dispense with the political due diligence and plump for emotion. Some politicians play to that gallery. They forfeit appeal to a section of society knowing that their nonsense will stick. UKIP are a prime example, and but for a quirk in the voting system they would have had numerous MPs after the 2015 election.

The fundamental point is, it is selling politics to those with strong emotions but insufficient intellect to analyse what they are spouting. And to your point, there were a lot of voters in the Brexit referendum who found an outlet to vent their frustrations on joblessness, low income, and this is something that the left and right have been beating the drum about for years. There was an educated leave vote, but there was an emotive, post truth one, and that is a major problem in navigating the deal.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:32pm
I am in favour of building a wall to secure our land from English immigrants who will no doubt come here en masse once their little island has sunk without trace. 

They don't even blend in and integrate themselves into communities.  They bring their sordid culture and poison supermarket chains with them.  There will be ghettos in no time.  Believe you me.

Combat 16 is now open to all who agree with me.

Edited by Trap junior - 08 Feb 2019 at 2:34pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I am in favour of building a wall to secure our land from English immigrants who will no doubt come here en masse once their little island has sunk without trace. 

They don't even blend in and integrate themselves into communities.  They bring their sordid culture and poison supermarket chains with them.  There will be ghettos in no time.  Believe you me.

Combat 16 is now open to all who agree with me.
Who is AF? A tribute to Albert Finney?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:31am
I imagine buying stuff from ebay UK is going to be a lot more expensive after 29th March?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:28am

I imagine buying stuff from ebay UK is going to be a lot more expensive after 29th March?

Sterling could well be worthless though. 
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:57am

Really?.........thought he has been excellent so far
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Really?.........thought he has been excellent so far

the value of sterling is irrelevant to men like you hornet who never actually spend it 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:42am
Talk of Ford pulling out of the UK in the event of no deal, around 14,000 currently employed. 
The motor industry alone could lose 70000 jobs. Mental 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Talk of Ford pulling out of the UK in the event of no deal, around 14,000 currently employed. 

its amazing how all the evidence points to a disaster and they continue on. 

If this goes no deal the people of the UK should pull westminster down , dance on the bricks and give control back to the queen , she couldn't do any worse  
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

If this goes no deal the people of the UK should pull westminster down , dance on the bricks and give control back to the queen , she couldn't do any worse  

This is what the clowns voted for. They deserve everything they get. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:54am
There was a DUP member on the radio this morning who was a remainer. Thought to be one of the few.

The DUP should all have been in the remain camp IMO. There wasn't much wrong with the UK being in the EU. They've helped create a total sh*t show now that will inevitably see the break up of their precious union. Slap it up them, clueless ****s

bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

There was a DUP member on the radio this morning who was a remainer. Thought to be one of the few.

The DUP should all have been in the remain camp IMO. There wasn't much wrong with the UK being in the EU. They've helped create a total sh*t show now that will inevitably see the break up of their precious union. Slap it up them, clueless ****s

Simon Hamilton? He's been very quiet lately
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:48am

if they were on an island unconnected to us i would say yes but unfortunately ireland gets f**ked here and dont even have the consolation of having voted to be f**ked !!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:04am

Amazing alright. I’d love to see our Government chase these motor industry jobs, they’d be ideal for Wexford or Cork 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:07am

Amazing alright. I’d love to see our Government chase these motor industry jobs, they’d be ideal for Wexford or Cork 
Will never happen the Irish Government is only interested in IT jobs

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 13 Feb 2019 at 11:07am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:08am

ford pulled out of cork years ago it would be some return , those jobs will go somewhere with a lower paid workforce i'd say 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:13am

if they were on an island unconnected to us i would say yes but unfortunately ireland gets f**ked here and dont even have the consolation of having voted to be f**ked !!

Spot on Milla. A hard Brexit will give rural Ireland a hiding... the agri-food industry both north and south of the border faces ruin. Beef and dairy farmers are looking at bankruptcy in a matter of months with many generations of family businesses gone by this time next year. A hard Brexit will batter the Irish economy in a way most of us in Ireland will not have seen before.

Let us not forget the blame for this disaster will be on the Brits!
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 353354355356357 532>
  Share Topic