You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 534>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:11pm
1. We are going round in circles.

2. I think that is exactly what he did and did so in a way that kept his own party's support from completely splitting. The main reasons for a 'leave' vote were because of frustration with the government, a government that arrogantly misjudged the public mood.

3. Maybe not directly, certainly indirectly. Look at how London has been gentrified and hipster filled. Funny how it happened as a result of Thatcher and Blair. Seeing people earn ridiculous wages for doing f**k all is just an insult to people. It obviously needs to be taken further but it is a start.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

2. I think that is exactly what he did and did so in a way that kept his own party's support from completely splitting. The main reasons for a 'leave' vote were because of frustration with the government, a government that arrogantly misjudged the public mood.

3. Maybe not directly, certainly indirectly. Look at how London has been gentrified and hipster filled. Funny how it happened as a result of Thatcher and Blair. Seeing people earn ridiculous wages for doing f**k all is just an insult to people. It obviously needs to be taken further but it is a start.

1.Agreed.

2.But he didn't led a campaign to remain, and he certainly never got out amongst the Labour areas that were swinging towards leaving. He didn't do that.

3.I disagree. Capping wages for the sake of it would do absolutely nothing. It could be achieved in a more sensible way through adjusting tax bands, which will have a widespread and direct public benefit in increasing funds for public services, and through sensible Government expenditure could make a noticeable difference. Suggestions of wage capping are just lazy, and I would question what 'indirect' benefits would be created from such a policy. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

1.Agreed.

2.But he didn't led a campaign to remain, and he certainly never got out amongst the Labour areas that were swinging towards leaving. He didn't do that.

3.I disagree. Capping wages for the sake of it would do absolutely nothing. It could be achieved in a more sensible way through adjusting tax bands, which will have a widespread and direct public benefit in increasing funds for public services, and through sensible Government expenditure could make a noticeable difference. Suggestions of wage capping are just lazy, and I would question what 'indirect' benefits would be created from such a policy. 
1.Thumbs Up

2. He wasn't supposed to, if he had they might have lost more than a by-election.

3. It should be done in conjunction with higher tax bands. Personally speaking it would make me feel less murderous when I land in Liverpool street, they are lucky they have tight gun laws.LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:28pm

1.Thumbs Up

2. He wasn't supposed to, if he had they might have lost more than a by-election.

3. It should be done in conjunction with higher tax bands. Personally speaking it would make me feel less murderous when I land in Liverpool street, they are lucky they have tight gun laws.LOL

I just focus on the fact that the station has a Krispy Kreme!
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:37pm
Could have actually been much worse for Labour in Copeland. One of the applicants for the candidacy at this by-election just passed was former mediocre Scottish Labour MP Thomas Docherty. An utter fool who would have lost them even more votes had he been selected. 

There's been a few suggestions that the Labour candidate in Copeland's reluctance to do TV and radio spots and present her own personal agenda may have been a mistake. But that's largely irrelevant now.

On the bright side. MP's from nine different political parties earlier today united to support Eilidh Whiteford's Private Members Bill for the UK to ratify the Istanbul Convention on violence against women. A couple of Tory MP's led by the odious far-right MP Philip Davies (look him up he is a total cant) tried to stop it by filibustering it (so it would run out of parliamentary time and be shelved) but they were thwarted in their attempts. Nice to have a good news story from Westminster once in a while Thumbs Up
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:39pm

1.Thumbs Up

I just focus on the fact that the station has a Krispy Kreme!
Dead
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:36am
Does anyone know if clonbhoy has an opinion on this topic, or any other for that matter? He really needs to put himself out there more
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Does anyone know if clonbhoy has an opinion on this topic, or any other for that matter? He really needs to put himself out there more
Have you one? Or even a point?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 11:19am
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/25/corbyn-copeland-byelection-tom-watson-mccluskey

I think this article is interesting. It talks of "normalising" defeat, which I feel is what Corbyn, McDonnell etc are trying to do. Previous issues related to polls are also not justifiable reasons to ignore the major discrepancy between the Tories and Labour at the moment, as Copeland is a manifestation of the bad numbers.

*My links never seem to work. But the article is readily available through Google.

Edited by Het-field - 26 Feb 2017 at 11:20am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:56pm
'Father of the House', 86 year old Gerald Kaufman has died.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 1:01pm
Be interesting to see what the Labour vote will be like. It's one of their safest seats in Westminster.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Be interesting to see what the Labour vote will be like. It's one of their safest seats in Westminster.
At least he won't be able to do everything in his power to turn the electorate against his party, leave that to Mandy and the media.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 2:01pm
If you take John McDonnell's viewpoint.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:24pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:29pm

John Major gets it.

Ironic that he comes across a lot more Prime Ministerial now then he did when he actually was PM
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

John Major gets it.

Ironic that he comes across a lot more Prime Ministerial now then he did when he actually was PM
Definitely not ironic but I get what you are saying. I am just glad that somebody has stated the flipping obvious.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:33pm

John Major gets it.

Very little to dispute about what he says.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:39pm

John Major gets it.

Very little to dispute about what he says.
This did make me laugh, especially from a Tory. They do love to erase history.LOL
It seems to be a mixture of bigotry, prejudice and intolerance. It scapegoats minorities. It is a poison in any political system – destroying civility and decency and understanding. Here in the UK we should give it short shrift, for it is not the people we are – nor the country we are.”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 534>
  Share Topic