You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOI U17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 3:42pm
Sorry lads, I didn't know where was the best place for this article. I have a query around it though relating to player development compensation. 

So this kid signs for Rovers from Malahide in January. He is now moving on to Sheffield Wednesday. 

Two questions:

1) Roughly what is the compensation involved here?
2) What are Malahide entitled to?

The reason I ask is that Ger O'Brien was on LOI weekly last week and he was candidly accepting that it was all about money for the schoolboy clubs in relation to developing young players. To get the schoolboy clubs buy in to partnering with LOI sides in the underage structure, he was saying that the schoolboy clubs need to be recognized for their efforts to make this a truly collaborative project. So what happens in this case for example?

El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:19pm
Not really sure.
A certain LOI club are trying really really hard to sign one of our players.
This player will become a future international,probable captain,no question.
They have hounded the parents,through different ways.
They are clearly looking to reap some rewards in a few years time. ****s
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
KOH View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:42pm
The compensation goes on how many years the player was with each club.

The problem with Schoolboy clubs (some of them) is that they do deals with English clubs for less than they are entitled to so the English clubs will take a few of their players.
The schoolboy clubs don't care as they get a few bob but given the 90%+ failure rate we end up with lots of kids back here with all sorts of problems.

This is why I think the LOI clubs need to invest and get behind the underage structures, if we can keep the players here until they are 18 or 19 by providing top quality coaches and access to first team training and matches they will get pro contracts in England when they go and not just apprentices contracts for buttons. Anyone who lets their kids go to England at 16 needs their heads examined.

Podge-SFC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Podge-SFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:43pm
The rule regarding compensation is dependant on the amount of time a player has spent at a club. If a player moves within the first year of leaving a schoolboy team then the schoolboy team benefit the most. As time goes on, the compensation increases for the LOI club as they have played a bigger part in the players development so they are rewarded accordingly.

Levels of compensation increase going by the category of the clubs too (ie Schoolboy team = €10,000 per year, semi-pro team = €30,000, professional team = €50,000) This is obviously negoatibale. Some LOI clubs are happy to waive compensation and aim for financial rewards based on add-ons such and international appearances etc.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:12pm
As I understand it Rovers get €50k as a cat b club 'selling' to a cat b club having had him a year. Malahide get two years worth of cat 4 fees as he was there from age 12 to 14 so €20k.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Not really sure.
Or they just want to sign a good young player. It's in his interests at so many levels to move to a full time academy.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Not really sure.
Or they just want to sign a good young player. It's in his interests at so many levels to move to a full time academy.
Best interests of whom exactly?
Podge-SFC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Podge-SFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:58pm

As I understand it Rovers get €50k as a cat b club 'selling' to a cat b club having had him a year. Malahide get two years worth of cat 4 fees as he was there from age 12 to 14 so €20k.

I would be very surprised if Rovers got anything from the deal. Conor Grant only moved in January and had offers on the table before moving to Rovers, but in theory that's the way it will work.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:49pm

Not really sure.
Best interests of whom exactly?
His.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:42pm

Not really sure.

So tell me this, it's not alright for the LOI club to attempt to sign this promising player, but it is alright for a foreign club to?

How could the LOI ever expect to progress if they do not chase the best talent available?

I know nothing :-)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Not really sure.

So tell me this, it's not alright for the LOI club to attempt to sign this promising player, but it is alright for a foreign club to?

How could the LOI ever expect to progress if they do not chase the best talent available?

Exactly. The new Rovers project is annoying the slave trade clubs as players like Conor Grant now sign for Rovers, not the old schoolboy clubs. Hence the vitriol. How very dare LOI clubs fish in their waters, what with giving kids full time football and an education.

Edited by roverstillidie - 28 May 2017 at 5:11pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:21pm

Not really sure.

we are talking about an 11 year old,that still ok?
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 9:21pm
IF hes an 11 year old, why in the U17 league section?

While obviously very young, has he been approached by any cross channel clubs?

Do you not think that the big schoolboy clubs should be encouraging kids to play in the FAI National Underage leagues if good enough, instead of sending them to the UK?
I know nothing :-)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:21am

Do you not think that the big schoolboy clubs should be encouraging kids to play in the FAI National Underage leagues if good enough, instead of sending them to the UK?
No money in that....

Was inevitable that the schoolboy clubs would protect their 'assets'. It's interesting how personal he is taking it.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:18am
Some people just deserve a slap
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Sorry lads, I didn't know where was the best place for this article. I have a query around it though relating to player development compensation. 
So this kid signs for Rovers from Malahide in January. He is now moving on to Sheffield Wednesday. 
Two questions:
1) Roughly what is the compensation involved here?
2) What are Malahide entitled to?
The 4 years from u13 to u16 are taken into account and divided pro rata to the clubs where he was signed.

ie My club will receive from Ipswich Town 25% of all compo for the 1 year a certain player played for us and another schoolboy club receives 75%.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 5:02pm
So up to u13 gets zero monies?
So a kid could be at a club from academy to u12,and that club would just get a "thank you very much"?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 5:03pm

No money in that....

Was inevitable that the schoolboy clubs would protect their 'assets'. It's interesting how personal he is taking it.
it's nothing personal,I know full well the ins and outs of our schoolboy game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic