Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treaty FC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 11:39pm
Of that six hundred, at least four hundred were from Cork
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:12am
We got more even with little or no away support travelling up, very disappointing for Limerick. 
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

The apathy among Limerick sports fans is something else. Ok they`re bottom of the league and struggling but their gate at Jackman Pk against 2nd placed Cork was 600 punters.

It`s very depressing for players to play in front of such small crowds. Look at the Cork-Dundalk game with 7000 at Turners. Players respond to that and up their game, to the benefit of the punters looking on. I hope the Markets Field move grabs the attention of local sports fans, now that the rugby season is coming to a close and Limerick hurlers and footballers prepare for their early exit from the Munster championship.

What do you expect when most of their most loyal and vocal fans are banned for supporting the team? And no one else is going to start going to stand on a grass hill to watch a match. Limerick have potential but are being run into the ground it seems. Somethings going to have to give if they are to survive..
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 11:33am
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

when most of their most loyal and vocal fans are banned for supporting the team? And no one else is going to start going to stand on a grass hill to watch a match. Limerick have potential but are being run into the ground it seems. Somethings going to have to give if they are to survive..
  I agree re the bannings, but to be fair, the grassy hill was always a temporary situation. That said, if they are getting those crowds in a city centre location for the visit of Cork and Rovers on a Saturday, I don't see a massive change when the go to the Markets Fields. Its not existential quite yet, but the lack of support in the so called 'sports capital of Ireland' is a long term issue.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 12:10am
While it may like to think of itself as the "sports capital of Ireland", that delusional claim isnt borne out by their soccer and gaa attendances. Fair weather fans are the order of the day in Limerick and on the rare occasions when their hurling and football teams do well in the gaa championship, green jerseys suddenly appear from the woodwork.

Likewise with the blue jerseys of their soccer team. They did well way back in the day under Eoin Hand, when the Irish rugby out-half Tony Ward was one of their star players. Al Finucane was another big name at the time and the old Markets Fields got decent gates. But it only lasted as long as the club was successful. (Fair weather fans again).

The mainstay of club support in Limerick has long been rugby. Way before the professional era and when there was little or no interest in inter-provincial rugby in Ireland, the likes of Garryowen, Young Munster, Crescent, Shannon and Bohemians were stuffing grounds for club games. Sam Allardyce learnt this to his cost, when he tried to promote Limerick FC during his early managerial career, even handing out A5 flyers for the Markets Field on a Sat night for the following day`s afternoon kick-off.   
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 5:53am

After 31 years, Limerick soccer returns to its spiritual ... - Irish Examiner
www.irishexaminer.com/.../after-31-years-limerick-soccer-returns-to-its- spiritual-home-at-markets-field-334706.html
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 8:11am

Great to be going home. 

The Sligo Rovers League Cup Final in 1975 was the worst football violence I ever saw and yes I was in Lansdowne Road in 1995. 
limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 8:25am
Really looking forward to this. I have heard so many stories about the Markets field throughout the years that it will be great to finally watch a match there. Hopefully the result is positive as well, as we desperately need the 3 points.
just hit the fecking thing
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 3:20pm
Heard POS say on radio the renovated Markets has that "Wow Factor". Must say, i can't see it nor the €4.5m spend from the photos online but it certainly beats all previous Limerick FC home grounds for facilities, Thomond obviously excepted. 
One unplanned advantage of the protracted unveiling appears to have been the pitch which has had plenty of time to bed-down and looks superb. Along now with Tallaght, The Showgrounds and Terryland/EDP it's heartening also to see better player and admin facilities in the League too.

One criticism would be the poor project mgmt surrounding this development. The build process has come across at times as almost an unwelcome burden for the LEDP and clearly alot was asked of a small family building company more accustomed to small-scale housing development rather than any experience in stadium development. Many of the sight-line faux pas' are telling in the main stand. 
The previous false dawn opening was unfortunate and I fail to see why, in an era of first impressions counting for so much for so many, that a decision wasn't made to hold off for another few weeks to tidy things up properly before a fanfare opening, particularly given that the next few home games are relatively unattractive versus Drogs & Bray.
One would hope not even a lick of paint is added to that main stand as I doubt it was designed for all that extra weight of pre-cast concrete slabbing Shocked

The re-development provides Limerick with a sound basis for future success and despite having spent some of the most miserable years of my life in that culture-less graveyard of a town, best wishes to the Markets Field and all who sail on her. There are several down-to-earth boozers, a high-security prison & a psychiatric institution all conveniently located nearby should she disappoint the day-trippers come half-time. 

Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 4:51pm
Best of luck to Limerick with the new Markets Fields. Hope they get a great crowd tonight and get the crowd to keep coming back.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 5:05pm
My last 2 visits to Limerick they had approximately 300 fans and 150 fans. I hope they get more than that out there
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:55pm
Apparently somewhere between 2000 and 3000 at the game. Great crowd if true and it shows the potential limerick have if they can compete at the top end of the table
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:57pm
Good to hear. What is capacity there?
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 12:43am
According to the match report on RTE`s site the gate at MF was over 2k. That`s a healthy increase on what Limerick were getting in Thomond and Jackman Pk. Pity about the result in their new home debut but Limerick will get used to their new venue and no better man than Martin Russell to turn MF into a difficult fixture for visiting teams. 
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 10:33am
Disappointing result last night but overall an enjoyable occasion. It was brilliant to see people come out and support the team, and hopefully a lot of those will come back. The roar when Paul O' Conor scored was unreal, a special moment.

On the pitch, we are still struggling. Last night was a huge game and one where we could really have done with the 3 points. However, I'm hoping we might be able to bring in a few experienced players in July and give us that boost. Two huge games against Bray and Galway back to back in July which will tell a lot. I'm still hopeful we can avoid the drop Thumbs Up
just hit the fecking thing
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 11:30am
Only thing I would say about the crowd would be that the first game in Thomond had over 3k at it. It's all about getting as many people as possible to return.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:29pm
Good point. But Thomond is the main sports venue in Limerick and there was a certain novelty factor there to watch a soccer game.

The new home in Markets Field hasn`t been helped by timing, with Limerick adrift in the relegation zone on 5 points. But on the positive side, if my club was in that situation, I`d feel a lot more confident of survival with Martin Russell in charge than any other LOI manager. He`s been there and done that with UCD, on scraps of a budget, so a relegation scrap is a breeze for the man!   
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
Q:The Winged Serpent View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Q:The Winged Serpent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:49pm
Was down in Stab City on Friday. Their was way more than the 2308 gate announced. Was it worth the wait? Really looks like they just opened it up because they had to. Will be a cnt of a ground to play at when the bad weather kicks in and will be worse than Tallaght. We were wank and only for Schillinger man we wouldn't have even took home a point. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
  Share Topic