Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 492493494495496 539>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 11:35am
Robbie Keane badgering Mick for the assistants job Embarrassed
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

irelandshirts let himself down on liveline today.   Absolute motherhood and apple.pie stuff.   

I was as surprised as anyone to get an email from a liveline researcher and asked would i come on the show to talk about the segment in Champagne Football which refers specifically to Roy Keanes signatures being forged on Irish shirts by a member of the backroom team and also in general about Irish football shirts with reference to my museum project.

I did say to the researcher and Joe even said it at the start that with all the serious revelations in the book that it was an unusual angle to look at but there you go. Its their show.

For what its worth i didnt think it was a big deal about the shirts being signed and its not exactly new news as this story was known in 2002 and has been published in other books and players have spoken about it already.

RE the accounts i said that the book reveals in great details the exact figures and transactions etc that went on. My main point was that for many people looking at the FAI who may not be fans or have no real interest in football at all they would have seen the revenue streams from the Aviva Stadium, tournaments, sponsors, UEFA tv money etc and also the accounts that were being audited by very prestigious firms over the years (joe made sure on air i didnt mention any by name) and thought that the association was on somewhat of a secure financial footing. People including myself wrongly trusted what they were seeing and reading from a national association and reputable accountants etc. The Government also gave large amount of taxpayers money to the FAI during this time i assume also based on the accounts they were seeing.

Liveline should have had Mark Tighe onto talk in forensic detail about the accounts in the book. I bought it Saturday and read it cover to cover in one day and will re read it over the next while again. Im not an accountant and i failed pass maths in the leaving and got a D3 in it when i repeated my leaving cert so im not the person to talk about figures with!!!

Ive been campaigning for an Irish football museum for nearly 18 years now. The not for profit project is dedicated to James Nolan who passed away in Poland in 2012. I was certainly going to use my 20 minutes on primetime national airwaves that i was invited on to discuss to try and appeal for support for this project and i wont apologise to anyone for doing so either.

Here is what I don't get though - You are obviously a fan as shown through your dedication to collect all of those shirts etc so you don't fall into the category above. And it was also the case that there were many vocal people both on here (Hello Gino !), going to games and some journos questioning what was going on - Even people with a passing interest would know that the accounts have not been published for years. Just thought this was a strange angle to take. 

Edited by Borussia - 24 Sep 2020 at 11:43am
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

irelandshirts let himself down on liveline today.   Absolute motherhood and apple.pie stuff.   

I was as surprised as anyone to get an email from a liveline researcher and asked would i come on the show to talk about the segment in Champagne Football which refers specifically to Roy Keanes signatures being forged on Irish shirts by a member of the backroom team and also in general about Irish football shirts with reference to my museum project.

I did say to the researcher and Joe even said it at the start that with all the serious revelations in the book that it was an unusual angle to look at but there you go. Its their show.

For what its worth i didnt think it was a big deal about the shirts being signed and its not exactly new news as this story was known in 2002 and has been published in other books and players have spoken about it already.

RE the accounts i said that the book reveals in great details the exact figures and transactions etc that went on. My main point was that for many people looking at the FAI who may not be fans or have no real interest in football at all they would have seen the revenue streams from the Aviva Stadium, tournaments, sponsors, UEFA tv money etc and also the accounts that were being audited by very prestigious firms over the years (joe made sure on air i didnt mention any by name) and thought that the association was on somewhat of a secure financial footing. People including myself wrongly trusted what they were seeing and reading from a national association and reputable accountants etc. The Government also gave large amount of taxpayers money to the FAI during this time i assume also based on the accounts they were seeing.

Liveline should have had Mark Tighe onto talk in forensic detail about the accounts in the book. I bought it Saturday and read it cover to cover in one day and will re read it over the next while again. Im not an accountant and i failed pass maths in the leaving and got a D3 in it when i repeated my leaving cert so im not the person to talk about figures with!!!

Ive been campaigning for an Irish football museum for nearly 18 years now. The not for profit project is dedicated to James Nolan who passed away in Poland in 2012. I was certainly going to use my 20 minutes on primetime national airwaves that i was invited on to discuss to try and appeal for support for this project and i wont apologise to anyone for doing so either.

Here is what I don't get though - You are obviously a fan as shown through your dedication to collect all of those shirts etc so you don't fall into the category above. And it was also the case that there were many vocal people both on here (Hello Gino !), going to games and some journos questioning what was going on - Even people with a passing interest would know that the accounts have not been published for years. Just thought this was a strange angle to take. 

Have to agree with Borussia. Not a slight against you irelandshirts btw, as you said you trusted the people involved and sure why wouldn't you. The passing fan, had no reason as you say why would they expect anything. 

There was loads of signs though. No matter what your opinion on the LOI it still plays a huge part of what football is all about in this country ... you had LOI fans literally signing about JD/ FAI from the terraces, LOI premier team coming together to makes alliances and employ solicitor to deal with FAI on their behalf. No questions from the floor at AGMs. No journalists at AGM. Court injunctions by JD. Protests quashed left right and center. The signs were there and then some but people and maybe government just didn't wanted to see them or listen for on reason or another. 

That's history but I still think some ordinary football people are still browned off their voices weren't heard. Anyway my point here is that if anything comes form this sorry mess is that football fans (LOI and grassroots) are listened to more in the future. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 24 Sep 2020 at 12:34pm
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:25pm
irelandshirts you owe nobody anything on here apologies or otherwise , just the usual snide sideswipes that go on on here all the time when posters have a gripe from previous encounters with each other, I still say fair play for the amount of work you are putting into your memorabilia project
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:35pm

ps. amazing work Ireland shirts.Clap

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 24 Sep 2020 at 12:35pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

irelandshirts you owe nobody anything on here apologies or otherwise , just the usual snide sideswipes that go on on here all the time when posters have a gripe from previous encounters with each other, I still say fair play for the amount of work you are putting into your memorabilia project

Come on daithi who do you mean here.  I have had no run in with Ireland shirts and to be fair he has done great work with the jerseys and the book was great etc.  

I just felt it all a bit beige and naive I suppose.   Nothing snide and sidewipe amount my comments. They are straight up and how I heard it when I listened back yesterday evening.  

Not sure who you are making a swipe at Daithi.:) 
AKA pedantic kunt
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Have to agree with Borussia. Not a slight against you irelandshirts btw, as you said you trusted the people involved and sure why wouldn't you. The passing fan, had no reason as you say why would they expect anything. 

There was loads of signs though. No matter what your opinion on the LOI it still plays a huge part of what football is all about in this country ... you had LOI fans literally signing about JD/ FAI from the terraces, LOI premier team coming together to makes alliances and employ solicitor to deal with FAI on their behalf. No questions from the floor at AGMs. No journalists at AGM. Court injunctions by JD. Protests quashed left right and center. The signs were there and then some but people and maybe government just didn't wanted to see them or listen for on reason or another. 

That's history but I still think some ordinary football people are still browned off their voices weren't heard. Anyway my point here is that if anything comes form this sorry mess is that football fans (LOI and grassroots) are listened to more in the future. 

Its a strange angle to take to believe because world leading auditors are looking at a set of accounts for a National Association and passing them and that the Government of the country and Sports Ireland are giving millions in funding yearly to the FAI to believe that the accounts were in order?

Again and im just being honest and saying i dont know how you conceal debts of €65 million euro from auditors over many years. I dont. If you showed me a set of accounts you might as well show me something written in Russian because i would not be able to read it.

Why didnt the Government or Sports Ireland immediately stop the funding to the FAI years ago after listening to "vocal fans and journos" if it was so obvious that the FAI was 65 million euro in debt? Why did they wait until the copy of the 100,000 checque landed on Tighes desk and everything then followed?

Why didnt "the singing of LOI fans" not set alarm bells ringing in Government buildings and immediately stop millions in Euros of funding to the FAI years ago?

Do you think title sponsors like 3 would have agreed to multi million euro sponsorship deals if they knew the FAI was 65 million euro in debt and nearly insolvent or wanted their brand name and reputation linked to the FAI knowing what we all know now?

Would Banks have renegotiated deals on debt with the FAI if they knew the true extent of the associations debt levels?

Do you think New Balance would have signed a contract if they knew that Sports Direct had also signed a competing kit sponsorship agreement?

Lots of people from the ordinary fan to financial institutions to sponsors to government departments trusted that the accounts were in order and proceeded to give the FAI millions of euro on the strength of that.

Im just an ordinary fan who pays €130 a year for his season ticket and sits 12 rows up behind the penalty spot right behind the blackspot on the crossbar in the singing section at Lansdowne Road and hopes his team wins. If i was naive that i trusted that auditors would spot huge financial irregularity to the scale of debts being €65 million euro then im guilty as charged.

The book brilliantly revealed forensically the transactions and the facts and figures. Like i said Liveline should have had Mark Tighe onto the show to discuss all these matters but my point still remains the same that many people, far more qualified and knowledgeable than me also trusted things were ok because leading auditors were going thru the accounts.

Finally I got a lovely text from Jimmy & Essie Nolan last night to say that Essie by chance had been listening to Liveline yesterday and her phone lit up with messages from friends and family saying that they had heard James being mentioned on the show. The family got a great lift to know their son is still associated with and spoken about with reference to the team he loved to support 8 years after his passing. #YBIG

Edited by irelandshirts - 24 Sep 2020 at 1:54pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:49pm
I think one of the reasons why various stakeholders trusted what the FAI were saying was that JD was highly litigious - he quashed or threatened to quash any public dissent. 

For a good while Emmet Malone in the Irish Times was questioning out loud JD's oft-repeated assertion that the association would be debt free by 2020. it didn't take an auditor or accountant to work out that was fanciful in the extreme, with a huge stadium debt and not much revenue coming in to service it.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 2:02pm

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Its a strange angle to take to believe because world leading auditors are looking at a set of accounts for a National Association and passing them and that the Government of the country and Sports Ireland are giving millions in funding yearly to the FAI to believe that the accounts were in order?

Again and im just being honest and saying i dont know how you conceal debts of €65 million euro from auditors over many years. I dont. If you showed me a set of accounts you might as well show me something written in Russian because i would not be able to read it.

Why didnt the Government or Sports Ireland immediately stop the funding to the FAI years ago after listening to "vocal fans and journos" if it was so obvious that the FAI was 65 million euro in debt? Why did they wait until the copy of the 100,000 checque landed on Tighes desk and everything then followed?

Why didnt "the singing of LOI fans" not set alarm bells ringing in Government buildings and immediately stop millions in Euros of funding to the FAI years ago?

Do you think title sponsors like 3 would have agreed to multi million euro sponsorship deals if they knew the FAI was 65 million euro in debt and nearly insolvent or wanted their brand name and reputation linked to the FAI knowing what we all know now?

Would Banks have renegotiated deals on debt with the FAI if they knew the true extent of the associations debt levels?

Do you think New Balance would have signed a contract if they knew that Sports Direct had also signed a competing kit sponsorship agreement?

Lots of people from the ordinary fan to financial institutions to sponsors to government departments trusted that the accounts were in order and proceeded to give the FAI millions of euro on the strength of that.

Im just an ordinary fan who pays €130 a year for his season ticket and sits 12 rows up behind the penalty spot right behind the blackspot on the crossbar in the singing section at Lansdowne Road and hopes his team wins. If i was naive that i trusted that auditors would spot huge financial irregularity to the scale of debts being €65 million euro then im guilty as charged.

The book brilliantly revealed forensically the transactions and the facts and figures. Like i said Liveline should have had Mark Tighe onto the show to discuss all these matters but my point still remains the same that many people, far more qualified and knowledgeable than me also trusted things were ok because leading auditors were going thru the accounts.

Its pretty obvious that JD was very good at what he did, until it caught up with him. To get away with it for so long meant he was getting people on his side, providing mis-information, employing the right people to get what he needed, keeping things under wraps and making dissenting voices go quiet or at least knock them or discredit them to a point where nothing could be done.The trouble for him was that that couldn't last forever and once the first card fell the house of cards was always going to come pretty quickly after. But some people were making noises. As individuals or one off statements Delaney was able to deflect them or threaten them to make them accept its not worth pursuing. But to a lot of people these were a collection of no no's that made it obvious he was a crook. Unfortunately individually they probably made little impact to government agencies or to the wider public. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 24 Sep 2020 at 2:04pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 2:05pm
You'd almost feel sorry for Eddie Murray if it wasn't for the fact he was one of JD's biggest enablers 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

You'd almost feel sorry for Eddie Murray if it wasn't for the fact he was one of JD's biggest enablers 

There are plenty still in positions of influence - all the signatories to the strangley identical letters of support should be made to go 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 3:25pm
The fix is very simple.

Executives with no vested interest in football running the money side. Football people running the football. 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 3:26pm
Some memories here and the odd familiar face!

https://twitter.com/RadioCleary/status/1308448695655043072
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 3:37pm

I think that's a perfectly fair approach. If Joe Duffy wanted to get more forensic then RTE have numbers for a few at YBIG or Mandate including myself. They surely have Zeno's number. They had other options.

I listened back and it sounded like a light enoughsegment which is what I expected. It's liveline, not Prime Time. 

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

The pictures from his birthday party are even worse than could be imagined! The cake, the ice sculpture of a gun and the photoshop of him as an Ireland player are all beyond parody.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 4:10pm

Yeah strange there were no photos 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:39pm

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Another thing that needs to be added is that despite the personal tragedy in her life, ******** and it shouldn't be forgotten how delaney leveraged the whole contrived cyber bullying incident to deflect from his contemporaneous troubles and how gullible national broadcasters enabled him. 

An absolute scandal that he could jump on the cyber bullying wagon to garner sympathy from the public. That Darcy interview was Delaney at his best/worst whatever way you want to look at it. 

I’m early enough through the book now but when he started popping up in the papers as a muppet, he comes out with ‘I’m someone’s son’. His poor mammy and daddy and then years later ‘he’s someones Father’. Woe is John. 

The dark side.. And the light
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I think that's a perfectly fair approach. If Joe Duffy wanted to get more forensic then RTE have numbers for a few at YBIG or Mandate including myself. They surely have Zeno's number. They had other options.

I listened back and it sounded like a light enoughsegment which is what I expected. It's liveline, not Prime Time. 

Ireland shirts just wondering why you agreed to go on.  Seems a strange choice to go on the show when you thought the shirt signature thing was a non story and you had to expect they were going to drift off to a more general discussions on other revelations in the book.  It was a very strange slot.  I just thought you came across very lightweight on the show.  Nothing personal as you seem like a really sound guy who has done great work on the book and the museum is a great idea.  Just not sure what your opinion on anything was, other than we should have a shirts museum. 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 492493494495496 539>
  Share Topic