Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 409410411412413 539>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Can't agree. What possible benefit is it to Irish football to try repay that debt? Start again as a new company, hopefully the government step in with a direct contract scheme to the coaches, everyone else who ever worked directly for them is a part of the problem. 

Should point out that my post above was in relation to the FAI attempting to sort out their finances, if that is the route they are going, they are better off staying away from Oireachtas at the minute. I'd be in agreement with you that the whole thing should start again though, and if starting from scratch is going to be the alternative way forward, that decision needs to come from Govt/Sport Ireland - whatever anyone thinks of the FAI or current board, they aren't going to vote themselves out of existence. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

I presume when the new board is established it will be on a rotation system i.e nobody in charge for more than a few years at a time

The FAI or YBIG ?
LOL
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Can't agree. What possible benefit is it to Irish football to try repay that debt? Start again as a new company, hopefully the government step in with a direct contract scheme to the coaches, everyone else who ever worked directly for them is a part of the problem. 

Should point out that my post above was in relation to the FAI attempting to sort out their finances, if that is the route they are going, they are better off staying away from Oireachtas at the minute. I'd be in agreement with you that the whole thing should start again though, and if starting from scratch is going to be the alternative way forward, that decision needs to come from Govt/Sport Ireland - whatever anyone thinks of the FAI or current board, they aren't going to vote themselves out of existence. 

Sure the Government will probably re-employ the same people who got us into trouble in the first place like NAMA.  Is that even allowed under FIFA rules for the Government to step in?

This time they are calling it BaNAMA Republic Football Asscoiation

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:36pm
Don't know TJ, if we had a competent Government or Sport Ireland (getting away exceptionally lightly in all this saga) overseeing things, I'd say some deal could be done to persuade FIFA/UEFA to look the other way or even row in behind them with a reformation process. The lads we actually have in reality, I wouldn't be as sure. 

But if it comes down to it, getting rid of the huge debt and taking a ban from football is still probably preferable to committing to paying off ludicrous amounts of money for the next 2 decades, thus preventing growth and more or less accepting young player losses to the GAA and rugby. That wouldn't be everyone's point of view either, but with health & housing being huge issues for this government and likely the 2 or 3 governments that follow them (regardless of party make up) I'm not sure they would be willing to commit to a financial bail out for the FAI (old or new) at the moment. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 12:19am
The only issue I have with that is that any insolvency will result in a sale of the most valuable asset the FAI own, and at a below market price, with absolutely no requirement on whoever buys it (whether that is the IRFU or someone else) to rent the stadium back to the FAI at anything other than a commercial rent.

I know we've been told for the last fifteen years that things will be better when the stadium debt is finally paid off, and it now looks impossible to do that for the next ten years, but it is nonetheless hard to say that the long term interests of Irish football are met by the FAI selling their one good asset, then handing over half the cash from one of their biggest income streams in rent.

Whoever is in charge needs to be doing those sums, but I'm not sure of the best outcome. The key figures are the annual interest charge, compared to what the rent would be on Lansdowne Road. I would be fairly confident that a figure of €1m a game would be light enough, so if the interest is lower than €5m a year, the FAI should probably continue to pay it. It isn't in the interests of the FAI to sell their share to clear the debt, if the outcome isn't going to improve their annual cash flow in any way at all, when the longer term position is an improvement (i.e. once the debt is paid off). There's even an argument that paying down the debt isn't even the most important thing, once it is both serviceable and actually serviced, if it is financially better than the alternative.

It would also mean the end of things like the cup finals in Lansdowne Road, though it might also mean spreading matches around the country again, like the two games in Limerick in 2009. Those are minor considerations of course but, even if all things are financially equal, there has to be a question as to what is the longer term interests of the game.

The other calculation is this: interest costs, assuming inflation, will come down as a share of income. Rent costs, if the stadium has to be rented, will presumably increase along with inflation. However, without knowing the actual sums involved on all of this, it is hard to say where the balance lies. Selling the share in the stadium or going into insolvency and starting again (much the same thing) won't necessarily result in a huge financial difference to the association (or the governing body, if there's a new one) if the costs of rent as opposed to interest are similar.

The problem is that we were sold a pipe dream. We were told that the capital debt of the stadium would be cleared next year; that isn't going to happen. However, just because that isn't the case, it doesn't mean that the single most important short term aim for the FAI should be clearing that debt. The financial health of the FAI is only ever a means to an end; if clearing the debt by selling the family silver is the best way to ensure there are more resources available, both in the short term and the long term, to develop the game, then that is the choice to take. However, if that is only a short term gain, with a much, much muddier medium and long term outlook, then it is a lot harder to say they should declare insolvency and start again.

I just hope whoever has control of the FAI books now is actually in a position to look at them properly, understand the numbers, understand the short and long term implications of the decisions they are making, and act in the long term interests of the game in this country. There's little doubt, though, that decisions in the last fifteen years, by those at the top, weren't always made with those factors front of mind.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 11 Dec 2019 at 12:27am
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The only issue I have with that is that any insolvency will result in a sale of the most valuable asset the FAI own, and at a below market price, with absolutely no requirement on whoever buys it (whether that is the IRFU or someone else) to rent the stadium back to the FAI at anything other than a commercial rent.

I know we've been told for the last fifteen years that things will be better when the stadium debt is finally paid off, and it now looks impossible to do that for the next ten years, but it is nonetheless hard to say that the long term interests of Irish football are met by the FAI selling their one good asset, then handing over half the cash from one of their biggest income streams in rent.

Whoever is in charge needs to be doing those sums, but I'm not sure of the best outcome. The key figures are the annual interest charge, compared to what the rent would be on Lansdowne Road. I would be fairly confident that a figure of €1m a game would be light enough, so if the interest is lower than €5m a year, the FAI should probably continue to pay it. It isn't in the interests of the FAI to sell their share to clear the debt, if the outcome isn't going to improve their annual cash flow in any way at all, when the longer term position is an improvement (i.e. once the debt is paid off). There's even an argument that paying down the debt isn't even the most important thing, once it is both serviceable and actually serviced, if it is financially better than the alternative.

It would also mean the end of things like the cup finals in Lansdowne Road, though it might also mean spreading matches around the country again, like the two games in Limerick in 2009. Those are minor considerations of course but, even if all things are financially equal, there has to be a question as to what is the longer term interests of the game.

The other calculation is this: interest costs, assuming inflation, will come down as a share of income. Rent costs, if the stadium has to be rented, will presumably increase along with inflation. However, without knowing the actual sums involved on all of this, it is hard to say where the balance lies. Selling the share in the stadium or going into insolvency and starting again (much the same thing) won't necessarily result in a huge financial difference to the association (or the governing body, if there's a new one) if the costs of rent as opposed to interest are similar.

The problem is that we were sold a pipe dream. We were told that the capital debt of the stadium would be cleared next year; that isn't going to happen. However, just because that isn't the case, it doesn't mean that the single most important short term aim for the FAI should be clearing that debt. The financial health of the FAI is only ever a means to an end; if clearing the debt by selling the family silver is the best way to ensure there are more resources available, both in the short term and the long term, to develop the game, then that is the choice to take. However, if that is only a short term gain, with a much, much muddier medium and long term outlook, then it is a lot harder to say they should declare insolvency and start again.

I just hope whoever has control of the FAI books now is actually in a position to look at them properly, understand the numbers, understand the short and long term implications of the decisions they are making, and act in the long term interests of the game in this country. There's little doubt, though, that decisions in the last fifteen years, by those at the top, weren't always made with those factors front of mind.

The debt goes so far beyond the beneficial value of the Co tenancy that ownership is irrelevant 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:21am
Heard Mark Tighe mention on RTÉ the other day that the anger of staff at the meeting with the board on Friday was aimed both at the board and current senior management. Dan McDonnell said (or wrote) similar and alludes to in an article today the need to ask questions of their competency.

I think this has been missed. These guys knew more than they let on. Ignoring McGlue whom we know was his personal secretary and lapdog the likes of Rea Walshe knew about the €100k loan. You would think a legal eagle would know that this needed to be disclosed in accounts under company law. She’s another one hanging on for dear life for whatever motive 
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:29am
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:47am
the biggest problem for Paul Cooke is the unknown bills that might start flooding through the letterbox in abbotstown and from our experience in gufc everyday for 2 years after our ceo left new debts appeared constantly. The debt for this year will be at least €15m if not more .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:50am
Wonder if there will be many seagulls around Bratislava in March?EmbarrassedEmbarrassed Would imagine they might be lying low with CRISC and others
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:55am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

the biggest problem for Paul Cooke is the unknown bills that might start flooding through the letterbox in abbotstown and from our experience in gufc everyday for 2 years after our ceo left new debts appeared constantly. The debt for this year will be at least €15m if not more .

It'll be more. €15m loan from UEFA, €8m loss in 2018 which will be at minimum replicated this year. Will be minimum €4m for auditior/consultant fees for 2019 by year end, I presume the €3.6m mentioned last week isn't actually in the books yet and was just given for information reasons. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/gardai-launch-investigation-into-threats-made-against-fai-staff-in-abbottstown/ar-BBY2BbG?li=BBr5MK2

When I was in the shop earlier, this was on the front of every newspaper on the stand.

This level of coverage requires co-ordination, the FAI's press office must be behind it.

And it is the same old John Delaney crying on the radio trick, garner public sympathy, gloss over the absolute shambles going on all around them.
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Wonder if there will be many seagulls around Bratislava in March?EmbarrassedEmbarrassed Would imagine they might be lying low with CRISC and others

There’ll be plenty of them there. A brazen and self-serving lot.

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:33am
Here we go again - more fabrications. Nobody threatened the office. They'll do their best to make that the story however.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:40am
Have heard very little of Rea Walsh, Fran Gavin lately, is Noel King still a full time employee ?
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by forza trapp forza trapp wrote:

Have heard very little of Rea Walsh, Fran Gavin lately, is Noel King still a full time employee ?
Was thinking the same thing myself for someone who was interim/acting CEO she has totally disappeared from the lime light.

time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:07am
If they do decide to go down the route of folding the FAI and setting it up as a new entity, does anyone have any idea what that means for the Senior Mens team (I know I am ignoring the underage/womens team here but we can come to that again)? Do we get docked points from next campaign, banned from qualifying, removed from 2020 play offs etc?

Also, any repercussions for the League Of Ireland? i.e. not allowed have a 2020 league as punishment etc

I haven't heard anything mentioned on either front yet

I've never heard of another FA going completely bust, so have no idea what the consequences are. And worry we'd be made an example of to deter other FA's going down the same route

Edited by Gaz - 11 Dec 2019 at 11:08am
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:11am
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 409410411412413 539>
  Share Topic