You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 400401402403404 539>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

There three potential reasons in my opinion the board didn't sack JD

1- He didn't do anything illegal and it was all above board.
2 - Sacking him potentially lead to a long legal battle with an uncertain outcome.
3 - Any legal action could have implicated board members so they decided not too.

Potentially there is truth in all three reasons to certain degrees but I'm of the opinion given his past of legal actions JD a sacking without anything would have went down a long legal route. Given Ireland's history of dealkng with white collar crime the outcome would be uncertain. Maybe if he was importing garlic it might be a different story.
The third reason seems most likely! Which means that these people took over an organisation, helped themselves and there are no repercussions!
Who governs the board? Is it the non-executive members? I remember Babbsballs put something up before that basically the board signs off on the CEOs expenses and vice versa.
Board of a company is usually:
3/4 c level employees, aka Executive Directors (CEO, CFO etc)
3 NEDs (Non executive directors), lads who would be ex FAI CEO's etc, well in with the organization 
3 INEDS (Independetn Non-Executive Directors), these are the ones who should relly be holding to account, they're typically as far removed from FAI as possible, a CEO from Bord Gais, HSBC for example. They get paid a lovely amount of money to attend a few bosrd meetings a year with the goal that they keep the in-house lads in check, they're basically the police of the board. Not sure who these were, in the case of Financial Services the 3 INEDS would be vetted by the Central Bank, to make sure they're independent enough. Not sure if Sport Ireland or whatever get a veto on them, or if they just appoint other old boys. If you get enough old boys in the NEDS and INEDs positions, the CEO can do what he like basically. 
Sponsored Links

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

So the FAI are 55 million in the hole. Deloitte say that the jig is essentially up. FAI staff are going to be let go en masse. Yet it's 6 weeks since John Delaney pocketed 463k in a settlement package. This after being on full pay for almost 6 months while on gardening leave.

So even after bankrupting the association and taking out wages and BIK totaling close to a million euros in each of his last few years at the FAI, the board still saw the good sense to pay this absolute piece of dirt 650 thousand euros total between gardening leave pay and his severance package since last March when this broke.

I wonder do the lads on here who were absolutely staunch that the FAI giving John Delaney a golden handshake was the smart move still feel the same way? I wonder do the lads on here who only a couple of months ago laughed at the notion that John Delaney or others at the FAI could be caught up in illegal activity, still think that nothing illegal has happened?

Delaney is absolutely p*ssing himself laughing. An association that is essentially bankrupt and has little chance of survival, has paid him 650k while on its last legs. It is beyond disgusting and a fitting end to a despicable FAI board. Delaney should have been fired last March. There is absolutely no doubt about that. Not one single cent more should have made its way to him since March. I look forward to the YBIG HR peoples responses on this also.

The issue surrounds the 3million deal. 
Now maybe you know more than the legal experts but it was complex and a legal case would have cost the association a lot, a lot, more than 600k.
The FAI have to put the future of the association first. They did that.
Presumably if there is any criminality proved in the future, they can take a case to retrieve payments.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

RTÉ had legal experts and prof. Niamh Kearns whose specialty is corporate governance both said that Delaney had them over a barrell because Cody and Murray had signed off on his €3m loyalty bonus and the fai had to do a deal .

I’m not happy about it but I work in the law and I can see the logic . As for what happened yesterday there was enough of us on here who have questioned jd’s leadership from day one and we have been laughed at and treated like pariahs by a lot of people on here who were in jd’s pocket. Lastly the statements from the sc’s set up by jd and his side kicks yo divide our supporters ring very hollow after dining at their masters table for the last six years.

But Hans knows more than all this experts combined
And those ones too...
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:44am

Do people actually believe 1) that the FAI wouldn't have reason to sack Delaney and 2) wouldn't have reason to sack Delaney due to illegal practices while in his CEO role?

With everything that has come out now, do people actually think that the FAI had nothing on him? Once everything started coming out more than 9 months ago it was clear as day that the FAI had good reason to remove Delaney if they wanted. Now, with an even clearer picture of what has gone on and people still believe it was right to settle with him and pay him 200k in wages while on gardening leave. I'll say it again. The mind boggles.

Jesus, read the posts will you. 
Has history taught you anything? Bigger culprits than JD have walked. 
It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in a court of law. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:52am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Yesterday was a low point but I fully expect it to get worse. 

Who is Paul Cooke - how aggressive was he yesterday? Is he a good or bad guy here?

Being honest a lot of this is over my head - bit like United. You know the owners are bad but I only focus on the football. 

Same as Ireland > I knew JD was bad but just ignored it. Sure we have done more? Looking at the French again, they really know how to protest.

Feels surreal.
Could certainly do with a few lessons in public speaking.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 07 Dec 2019 at 11:52am
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:52pm
who is the €55m due to and when? Is any of it in arrears?

Is the stadium debt included in that?

I keep thinking of the 100k which Delaney lent was because the FAI was getting close to its €1.5m overdraft. €55m is obviously a whole different ball game. 

If the stake in the stadium is sold then can all debts be brought into order, not in arrears, and then get back to paying off our debts?

Edited by inlikeflynn - 07 Dec 2019 at 12:52pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

who is the €55m due to and when? Is any of it in arrears?

Is the stadium debt included in that?

I keep thinking of the 100k which Delaney lent was because the FAI was getting close to its €1.5m overdraft. €55m is obviously a whole different ball game. 

If the stake in the stadium is sold then can all debts be brought into order, not in arrears, and then get back to paying off our debts?

Yes, that includes the stadium debt. A chunk of that was already known. It had been decreasing. It was being quoted at €28m before this scandal broke and was reflected in the incorrect accounts. It's not all new debt that's just appeared. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 1:24pm
Was the stadium debt actually €28m or was it reality higher? €27m extra in liabilities. Would all the advanced payments they received be included in liabilities?
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 2:21pm
Who thought Eddie Murray a former Garda super would be a sensible appointment as a treasurer? Christ above. 
Touts Out!
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Who thought Eddie Murray a former Garda super would be a sensible appointment as a treasurer? Christ above. 

Is he connected to the Garda who was requested to snoop on people's
Phones? 

Edited by Saint Tom - 07 Dec 2019 at 2:41pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Got banned from all football activity for 6 months because of my Facebook comments questioning the Clare league defending John Delaney and the FAI. 

I see you're famous now.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/junior-soccer-player-banned-for-six-months-for-questioning-clare-leagues-public-support-for-john-delaney-38762197.html?fbclid=IwAR2m_H_rjkDYjolj3fCeVbFDX7D9jXVSuI4i-Duuf1BkNxgWSpTJ_j0Kx10

Edited by E2016 - 07 Dec 2019 at 3:26pm
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Yesterday was a low point but I fully expect it to get worse. 

Who is Paul Cooke - how aggressive was he yesterday? Is he a good or bad guy here?

Being honest a lot of this is over my head - bit like United. You know the owners are bad but I only focus on the football. 

Same as Ireland > I knew JD was bad but just ignored it. Sure we have done more? Looking at the French again, they really know how to protest.

Feels surreal.

Paul Cooke is a very decent honest man.  He does not perform well in public and is quite uncomfortable in the public eye.  I thought he was quite impatient with the IT guy but so would anyone about to deliver that news.

I suppose we had the media performer in JD, all style, no substance.  Now for a few weeks, we have a guy who is all substance and not get style but I know which one I'd prefer.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:40pm

So the FAI are 55 million in the hole. Deloitte say that the jig is essentially up. FAI staff are going to be let go en masse. Yet it's 6 weeks since John Delaney pocketed 463k in a settlement package. This after being on full pay for almost 6 months while on gardening leave.

So even after bankrupting the association and taking out wages and BIK totaling close to a million euros in each of his last few years at the FAI, the board still saw the good sense to pay this absolute piece of dirt 650 thousand euros total between gardening leave pay and his severance package since last March when this broke.

I wonder do the lads on here who were absolutely staunch that the FAI giving John Delaney a golden handshake was the smart move still feel the same way? I wonder do the lads on here who only a couple of months ago laughed at the notion that John Delaney or others at the FAI could be caught up in illegal activity, still think that nothing illegal has happened?

Delaney is absolutely p*ssing himself laughing. An association that is essentially bankrupt and has little chance of survival, has paid him 650k while on its last legs. It is beyond disgusting and a fitting end to a despicable FAI board. Delaney should have been fired last March. There is absolutely no doubt about that. Not one single cent more should have made its way to him since March. I look forward to the YBIG HR peoples responses on this also.

Now maybe you know more than the legal experts but it was complex and a legal case would have cost the association a lot, a lot, more than 600k.
Presumably if there is any criminality proved in the future, they can take a case to retrieve payments.

The logic is so flawed by those saying that it was correct to settle with John Delaney. Even at this stage where we know that finds were misappropriated. We know that accounts were falsified. We know that John Delaney was a major player in everything that has gone on with the end result being that the FAI are essentially bankrupt. The end result being that there is a KOSI report gone to the guards and no doubt plenty of illegalities will be found there and in other investigations.

The FAI would have known every bit of this for months now. Plenty at the FAI would have known what was going on a lot longer that that, despite their denials that they were completely in the dark. Yet people think that it is correct to settle with John Delaney for 463k only last month, and have paid him 6 months of gardening leave bringing that total from March to roughly 650k. I'll say it again. The mind f*cking boggles.

Essentially what a few of you are saying is that there is no scenario where the FAI could have fired John Delaney without giving him a pot of gold on his way out. 

JD hypothetically bankrupts the association by fiddling the books, FAI - 'John, you've bankrupted the association by fiddling the books, so you can't really work here anymore. Here, have a pot of gold on your way out though.'

JD hypothetically kills someone, FAI 'John, you've killed someone so you can't really work here anymore. Here, have a pot of gold on your way out though.' 

I am not sure at what point people will admit that their comments regarding giving Delaney a huge settlement being a good idea, were actually wrong? No matter what comes of this, it looks like some on here made a comment originally so they simply can't change on that no matter the overwhelming evidence now to say that it was an appalling decision to award the man who has killed the FAI. 

I think we'd all love to see John Delaney doing time for his role in bankrupting the FAI - even if that happened I'm guessing lads on here will still say paying him off was the correct thing to do. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:44pm
Hans - what funds did he misappropriate that we have evidence of?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:51pm
Why am I not surprised Hans is a self proclaimed legal expert  
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Hans - what funds did he misappropriate that we have evidence of?

LOL LOL LOL

This deserves a world record 9,714 smilies. Mods, is it ok to proceed thus?

Edited by Hans Moleman - 07 Dec 2019 at 4:06pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:56pm

The logic is so flawed by those saying that it was correct to settle with John Delaney. Even at this stage where we know that finds were misappropriated. We know that accounts were falsified. We know that John Delaney was a major player in everything that has gone on with the end result being that the FAI are essentially bankrupt. The end result being that there is a KOSI report gone to the guards and no doubt plenty of illegalities will be found there and in other investigations.

The FAI would have known every bit of this for months now. Plenty at the FAI would have known what was going on a lot longer that that, despite their denials that they were completely in the dark. Yet people think that it is correct to settle with John Delaney for 463k only last month, and have paid him 6 months of gardening leave bringing that total from March to roughly 650k. I'll say it again. The mind f*cking boggles.

Essentially what a few of you are saying is that there is no scenario where the FAI could have fired John Delaney without giving him a pot of gold on his way out. 

JD hypothetically bankrupts the association by fiddling the books, FAI - 'John, you've bankrupted the association by fiddling the books, so you can't really work here anymore. Here, have a pot of gold on your way out though.'

JD hypothetically kills someone, FAI 'John, you've killed someone so you can't really work here anymore. Here, have a pot of gold on your way out though.' 

I am not sure at what point people will admit that their comments regarding giving Delaney a huge settlement being a good idea, were actually wrong? No matter what comes of this, it looks like some on here made a comment originally so they simply can't change on that no matter the overwhelming evidence now to say that it was an appalling decision to award the man who has killed the FAI. 

I think we'd all love to see John Delaney doing time for his role in bankrupting the FAI - even if that happened I'm guessing lads on here will still say paying him off was the correct thing to do. 
LOLLOLLOL ffs
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Why am I not surprised Hans is a self proclaimed legal expert  

You are correct Denis. I've changed my mind. The FAI actually left Delaney short after his years of quality service. He should have been paid a lot more when he departed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 400401402403404 539>
  Share Topic