You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 386387388389390 539>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

This is soul destroying for Irish Fans and the honest to god lads working in the Fai and all the volunteers that Delaney fooled into believing he cared about Irish Foitball.
And spare a thought for the soup takers for whom the penny has not dropped yet.
Sponsored Links

cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

This is soul destroying for Irish Fans and the honest to god lads working in the Fai and all the volunteers that Delaney fooled into believing he cared about Irish Foitball.
And spare a thought for the soup takers for whom the penny has not dropped yet.

That soup is rapidly declining in quality and consistency, from a fresh seafood chowder to a famine-esque bowl of nettle water.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:20pm
3 have just ended their sponsorship.  Hopefully we will now get a sponsor free jersey.  Every cloud and all that! 
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

3 have just ended their sponsorship.  Hopefully we will now get a sponsor free jersey.  Every cloud and all that! 

Hah no chance unless we get some sort of Paddy Power style deal like Huddersfield. FAI need every shekel they can get now
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:22pm
there might be no team and lads on about sponsor less jerseys ffs.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:35pm
Scary times for the Irish football, this is only going to get horribly worse before it gets any better
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:52pm

Going by the numbers being mentioned, unless the senior team qualify for the Euros, I can see the FAI winding down within 12 months. Selling the stake in the Aviva plus the few other bits of assets they have, huge numbers of staff there being let go, and being ran as a skeleton association for awhile until it is killed off. The debts are unsustainable, and the next big home fixtures (Euros aside) aren't until September/October. How will they stay afloat? More UEFA money possibly?

It will be interesting to see if there is any interest whatsoever in sponsoring the team over the next few months. Any company would be insane to sign a deal with such a toxic organisation. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Scary times for the Irish football, this is only going to get horribly worse before it gets any better

I suppose people would have assumed there was something 'slightly dodgy' going on behind the scenes for the last few years. It looks like things were far worse than we all imagined.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Going by the numbers being mentioned, unless the senior team qualify for the Euros, I can see the FAI winding down within 12 months. Selling the stake in the Aviva plus the few other bits of assets they have, huge numbers of staff there being let go, and being ran as a skeleton association for awhile until it is killed off. The debts are unsustainable, and the next big home fixtures (Euros aside) aren't until September/October. How will they stay afloat? More UEFA money possibly?

It will be interesting to see if there is any interest whatsoever in sponsoring the team over the next few months. Any company would be insane to sign a deal with such a toxic organisation. 

There's no rule of course that any team or federation has to be sponsored. They can simply play on without sponsorship.

You would assume no sponsor would go anywhere near the association at the moment, not until massive change has happened from top to bottom. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:00pm
From a financial perspective, they will need a decent sponsorship contract. This is all about keeping the lights on now. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:11pm
If this was a country in Africa we'd be thinking 'ah well they're all corrupt out there, lining their own pockets, it's their own fault'.

What must other associations be thinking? 

Has a national association in Europe ever gone bankrupt or close to it in recent times? 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

If this was a country in Africa we'd be thinking 'ah well they're all corrupt out there, lining their own pockets, it's their own fault'.

What must other associations be thinking? 

Has a national association in Europe ever gone bankrupt or close to it in recent times? 

Would be incredibly unusual. Football associations generate profits, not for stakeholders, but to be invested back into the game only. An association going bankrupt would suggest gross mismanagement.
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:21pm
it's very worrying although 3  pulled the rugby sponsorship a year or so back , so maybe it's just a coincidence , i feel there is alot more to come from this though, we could well have the equivalent of a Fianna Fail scandal  with backhanders etc depending what the forensic audit uncovers. Spare a thought for those  on low/middle income earners  within the FAI  , it could be a very worrying and tough xmas for alot of them with families to support, and i wouldn't wish that on anyone. 
royal rover
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:50pm
Amazing how all of this boils down to one man. Anyone who knows JD Sr. shouldn’t be surprised by the carry on of his son. John didn’t lick it off the stones.

It’s shameful and embarrassing and I fear the worst is yet to come. Qualification for the Euros would give them a lifeline but it would probably be a case of kicking the can down the road.

Will Delaney do porridge for all of this and who will he attempt to bring down with him? 

Edited by bundy - 04 Dec 2019 at 5:51pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:01pm
In the scenario where they don't qualify for the Euros.

Only thing keeping them afloat at the moment is UEFA. They will not pay the bills indefinitely, and there is no other source of income in the pipeline.

• No sponsor.
  • Season Ticket sales likely to plummet with only Nations League games on offer and the ongoing controversies.
  • Little public interest in the team if we don't qualify means terrible general sales, combined with the reputation being on the floor and the general public/potential bandwagoners that are filling the stadium for the IRFU being allergic to the general style of football of the past 11 years.
  • Merchandise sales likely to drop.
  • No government money.
If the organisation folds, will the national team be allowed to participate in the World Cup or the Euros? There are consequences for that sort of thing at club level, I imagine UEFA/FIFA would be the same. I can't imagine UEFA/FIFA, trying to banish an image of corruption, looking too kindly on the fact that their money was being used to fund John Delaney's lifestyle.

And if that doesn't cause them to boot us out, surely the inevitable increased involvement that the government will have to have will do the business.

I'm sure we would eventually get back in, but in the short term I don't think our participation is assured. Which opens up a whole other can of worms.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

In the scenario where they don't qualify for the Euros.

Only thing keeping them afloat at the moment is UEFA. They will not pay the bills indefinitely, and there is no other source of income in the pipeline.

• No sponsor.
  • Season Ticket sales likely to plummet with only Nations League games on offer and the ongoing controversies.
  • Little public interest in the team if we don't qualify means terrible general sales, combined with the reputation being on the floor and the general public/potential bandwagoners that are filling the stadium for the IRFU being allergic to the general style of football of the past 11 years.
  • Merchandise sales likely to drop.
  • No government money.
If the organisation folds, will the national team be allowed to participate in the World Cup or the Euros? There are consequences for that sort of thing at club level, I imagine UEFA/FIFA would be the same. I can't imagine UEFA/FIFA, trying to banish an image of corruption, looking too kindly on the fact that their money was being used to fund John Delaney's lifestyle.

And if that doesn't cause them to boot us out, surely the inevitable increased involvement that the government will have to have will do the business.

I'm sure we would eventually get back in, but in the short term I don't think our participation is assured. Which opens up a whole other can of worms.

I don't think UEFA could expel a federation for being short of money. It's a different situation to club football : football clubs are businesses, the players are their employees are on the payroll and the clubs are in the game to make profits.

A country would normally only be expelled from an international competition for a major and deliberate rule break of the competition rules by the association or gross misbehaviour by their players or fans (and even that would be very rare).
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:36pm
home games in Tallaght. 
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:40pm
You have to question, where the feck has all the money gone? What other football association has run into so much financial trouble? Its not like they are pumping money into the national league. Most of the local club grants come from sport Ireland. 

For the JD supporters, how can they continue to defend him? He justified his massive salary by saying he had brought in record sponsorships. 
Well (A) sponsorships were increasing across sport and business anyway and (B) record sponsorships are worthless if you counter them with record debts!

It's either criminal or completely mismanaged by incompetent idiots!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 386387388389390 539>
  Share Topic