You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 405406407408409 539>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Pro or Anti Martin O Neill irrelevant

The sheer speed to get rid of him and pay a settlement and then blow more money on another manager, shows the sheer scale of the incompetancy from an organisation who were and are bankcrupt

It really is the FAI masterplan, qualification or nothing as the remedy they thought would cure all ills. Akin to been at a roullette table and keep doubling down on your losses. they would do anything to keep the show apparantly on the road as it kept press and fans off their back.

the FAI should be wound up end of. The National team should be pulled out of further competition until We can govern the game effectively in this country. Lads if this was a tinpot 3rd world country We would all agree Fifa would be right to sanction the country.

In the interim an amateur committee is setup with voluntary and government help to administer the game. I dare say most of that already exists. 

We need to establish ground zero and build from there. I fear We arent their yet.

Bernard O'Byrne made this point a couple of days ago. Keep going back to the roulette wheel and hope it comes up black.....a shambolic way to run an organisation or business.

One thing has become crystal clear : Delaney was an utterly useless CEO, devoid of any skill or business acumen.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Bernard O'Byrne made this point a couple of days ago. Keep going back to the roulette wheel and hope it comes up black.....a shambolic way to run an organisation or business.

One thing has become crystal clear : Delaney was an utterly useless CEO, devoid of any skill or business acumen.

As Niamh Brennan pointed out the other day:
"The annual report also reveals almost complete absence of a system of internal control. The board did not keep proper books of account. The FAI had no procurement policies or procedures. There was no internal audit or compliance function. The are no protocols for business cases, options appraisals or business justification. The FAI has no business plan. It is currently being drafted."

So you reckon JD didn't know what he was doing?

On the contrary, I'd say he knew exactly what he was doing: if there are no rules, then how could anyone accuse him of breaking them?

This whole fiasco suited him just fine.

Edited by Territorial - 09 Dec 2019 at 2:41pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I would hope that a clause has been negotiating in the settlement deal that states there is a comeback in the result of a criminal conviction. Again, whether that would have been possible, I don't know. 
I hope you'll all forgive me for intruding on private grief etc, but I've found this thread interesting just now (not read it all, by any means).

And having some knowledge of the law (though not recent), I actually think Hans may be onto something.

You talk about a "criminal conviction", but that need not be necessary to allow the FAI to withhold JD's severance package.

For such matters actually involve civil law, not criminal law. So that if JD were to sue the FAI for non-performance of his contract, then if the FAI could demonstrate that he was actually sacked due to Gross Misconduct, then that should provide them with an adequate defence, regardless of whether he committed a crime.

There is much to suggest from what is already known that JD has indeed been guilty of Gross Misconduct - and who knows what else is to emerge?

I myself suspect that the reason why the FAI caved in to JD right up to the end is nothing to do with his contractual rights being watertight etc.

Rather I am minded of every petty dictator in a banana republic who bribes or shoots his way to power. The first thing he does is enter the Treasury and drive off with a truckload of money to his house.
And the second thing is to invite all his cronies round to the Treasury to divide up what's left amongst themselves. That way, they can never turn against him in future, since he has a hold over them.

Now I'm not saying that the Blazers at the FAI improperly diverted cash for themselves etc. But favours? Generous expenses? Free match tickets and drinks afterwards? Grant-aid to their own club/league out in the country? Business Class travel and 5 star hotels on away trips, all on the FAI's tab? There are many ways JD could have kept them sweet, without actually needing to break any law.

To borrow Mafia terminology, just as JD "made them" because it pleased him, then so can he "break them" again if they displease him.

P.S. Even if JD were to bring a case against the FAI for his €460k, this time he would have to fund his own legal expenses first (I doubt any reputable lawyer would take it on a "no win no fee basis"). This could be a considerable amount at risk. And in the end, even if he were to win, thereby adding an extra €3m, say, to the FAI's debt, when you're already €50m? €70m? €90m? in the hole, a relatively small sum like that is unlikely to make the difference between survival and bankruptcy, esp if part of a 10 or 15 year recovery plan.

That's all conjecture, Terri. Regardless, even a sacking for gross misconduct wouldn't impact on already accrued pension entitlements to my knowledge and to the knowledge of two solicitors I've spoken to about it. 

Also one of those who negotiated the settlement was Paul Cooke who is no friend of JD, in fact the polar opposite. To suggest as some are, that he agreed it to sort out his mate shows a lack of understanding of the situation. 

That said, I've no doubt there are plenty still in positions of influence  for whom what you say could be true. Moving them aside will be a fight. 

And, yes, JD would have to pony up for his own legal fees from what I assume is a tidy nest egg. So would the FAI though and I doubt it would take long for their legal fees to hit the €400k mark considering €3.7m has already been spent on professional fees for consultants and auditors since this broke. 

To be clear, I don't have enough information to state definitively it was the right course of action. I'd probably have argued they take their chances if I was on the new board  albeit without that information. 

I can see that a logical argument can be made for settling though, much as it sticks in the craw. I've seen close up cases where a high ranking individual in a multi national got lacerated by the judge yet still won his constructive dismissal case and a hefty pay out. This was against a company with far deeper pockets for legal fees than the FAI. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 3:11pm

"The annual report also reveals almost complete absence of a system of internal control. The board did not keep proper books of account. The FAI had no procurement policies or procedures. There was no internal audit or compliance function. The are no protocols for business cases, options appraisals or business justification. The FAI has no business plan. It is currently being drafted."

On the contrary, I'd say he knew exactly what he was doing: if there are no rules, then how could anyone accuse him of breaking them?

Totally agree with you on that. Wrote the below for a piece 5 years ago after the Joe McDonnell video farce and nothing changed in the meantime till Mark Tighe's story. 

"I can't see him being sacked over this though, people need to understand that for right or wrong, John Delaney IS the FAI these days. He's surrounded himself with cronies and acolytes, all of whom essentially earn their corn through his say so."

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 09 Dec 2019 at 3:12pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 3:18pm

If the business plan was to 'make make money for JD', then it was definitely a huge success.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 3:20pm

That's all conjecture, Terri. Regardless, even a sacking for gross misconduct wouldn't impact on already accrued pension entitlements to my knowledge and to the knowledge of two solicitors I've spoken to about it. 

Fair enough - though it would be interesting to know who exactly authorised JD's pension arrangements. A certain Don Jelaney, perhaps? Wink

Also one of those who negotiated the settlement was Paul Cooke who is no friend of JD, in fact the polar opposite. To suggest as some are, that he agreed it to sort out his mate shows a lack of understanding of the situation. 

That said, I've no doubt there are plenty still in positions of influence  for whom what you say could be true. Moving them aside will be a fight. 

Were I Cook, I think I might decide I have enough battles coming up against the Blazers, banks, UEFA, Shane Ross etc without adding a tricky customer like JD to the list. Far easier to just pay him to go away while I concentrated on the harder cases.

I can see that a logical argument can be made for settling though, much as it sticks in the craw. I've seen close up cases where a high ranking individual in a multi national got lacerated by the judge yet still won his constructive dismissal case and a hefty pay out. This was against a company with far deeper pockets for legal fees than the FAI. 

Oh I can see the case for settling right enough, I just don't see it as quite so clear cut as many are suggesting, esp inc those who actually authorised it.

As for your contructive dismissal case, was that a tribunal, or was it before a jury? For if the latter, it is often possible for a claimant with a weak case to appear sympathetic to a jury, esp if up against a big, bad multi-national corporation.

How sympathetic do you think any jury would be to JD after another year or two of skeletons being exhumed from the cupboards at Abbotstown?
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 3:34pm

So  JD didn't know what he was doing?

Absolutely spot on Territorial. Thanks for this.

The people who either did NOT understand or not CARE what was going on were the people who signed off on his salary, expenses, house rents, car usage, other emoluments etc etc.

Edit - It is not possible to believe these people did not KNOW what was going on etc.....

TBH, I believe that Delaney knew he had people around him who didn't know what he or they were doing and this created the perfect storm to maximize JDs income from the FAI and possibly, leave the FAI in a complete mess.

That said, would leaving the FAI in a complete shambles have been part of JD's agenda to muddy the investigative waters?

Edited by greengooner - 09 Dec 2019 at 3:38pm
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 3:41pm

Fair enough - though it would be interesting to know who exactly authorised JD's pension arrangements. A certain Don Jelaney, perhaps? Wink

Were I Cook, I think I might decide I have enough battles coming up against the Blazers, banks, UEFA, Shane Ross etc without adding a tricky customer like JD to the list. Far easier to just pay him to go away while I concentrated on the harder cases.

Oh I can see the case for settling right enough, I just don't see it as quite so clear cut as many are suggesting, esp inc those who actually authorised it.

As for your contructive dismissal case, was that a tribunal, or was it before a jury? For if the latter, it is often possible for a claimant with a weak case to appear sympathetic to a jury, esp if up against a big, bad multi-national corporation.

How sympathetic do you think any jury would be to JD after another year or two of skeletons being exhumed from the cupboards at Abbotstown?

It was a previous CEO taking a case at the Employment Appeals Tribunal which is where any unfair dismissal case would be heard. Would have to be a case taken on different grounds to go before a jury to my knowledge. No jury would be sympathetic so would undoubtedly be a tribunal in this instance with a judge looking at what sort of contract was in place. 
opa01 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote opa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 3:48pm
I agree with much of this particularly about Delaney having to stump up for his own legal costs – might not be as litigious when it’s coming out of his own, albeit well-feathered, nest. Saw in the Sindo yesterday that the FAI paid all his legal fees but where damages were won they went straight into Delaney’s pocket – no attempt was made to repay FAI’s legal fees.

Heard Dan McDonnell on OTB saying that the beginning of the end was the Vantage fiasco – that the pricing decisions taken then led to everything unravelling. But while I understand this was the start of the deep financial problems I think Delaney was so crooked and incompetent that it was only a matter of time before it all unravelled. But also – imagine if by some unbelievable piece of luck the Vantage scheme had worked and the 33,000 millionaires in Ireland had stumped up the cash. How much would Delaney have written his contract for so that he took as much as he could out of the Association?

Huge blame must attach itself to the media (apart from a small number of journalists who kept digging). People like Matt Cooper (“nothing to see here” on the €5m bung from Blatter). “JD could be next in line for Blatter’s job” in the good old boy jokey way – now claims it was sarcasm. Dunphy (now jumping on the bandwagon of I always thought he was a wrong un) despite backing JD to the hilt &, with Giles, jumping down the throat of anyone who dissented. Shane Ross who was saying a year ago “My own experience on the ground, weekly experience on the weekends, is that the fans are very enthusiastic about what the FAI are doing. They think the FAI are doing a very good job”. Barry Egan’s “John the Baptist” puff piece. Ray Houghton who has gone missing now. The Supporter’s Clubs who turned a blind eye as long as they got their tickets.

Remember this was public knowledge to anyone who was interested as far back as 2008 when Vantage went belly up first – if you go back over threads you can see lads writing about JD then. In 2012 Davy Langan’s book outed JD for the despicable clown he is.

If Delaney set out in 2002 to destroy the FAI for outing his dad’s shady dealings and pushing him out he couldn’t have done a better job.

Will no-one rid me of this turbulent priest?
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:00pm
I don't think i could say anything on this that hasn't already been said - it's scarcely believable how much they got away with, and were allowed to get away with. With the amount of gombeen men bought and paid for by favours that should have just been him doing his job- it really paints yet another depressing picture of how many unscrupulous and servile people are in this country.

The searches on home and foreign soil while brazenly claiming that fans are not being stopped from protesting. The sycophants on punditry, media, this site and everywhere else claiming that such protests are detrimental to the team, should be done where nobody can see them, the people doing them don't care about Irish football, and so on. The defamation threats about reporting that a video of him singing was in fact clearly him. The pittance that domestic football makes in this country, barely over the costs of his birthday bash for winning the league. Blaming any issue with that on bitter LOI fans. The crocodile tears over the 'bullying' he had to endure. The extensive biographies on 'John the Baptist'. The cabal of influencers, socialites and Celtic Tiger celebrities painting John as a poor victim taking ire from uncultured soccer thugs.

And at the end of all of it, the body tasked with ensuring that football is organised in this country is 55 million euros in debt through sheer greed and corruption, the guards are involved, the government is (for self-interest) involved. It's f**king sickening. Anyone who opposed him was a troublemaker. The league was a problem child. Disingenuous calls to 'get behind the team' as though caring about the future of the game here and how football was being run was somehow anathema to events on the pitch.

They've taken the game we all follow and let it bleed to death so they could all carve out parts for themselves. And they were allowed do it by all the above. 

How the f**k it was allowed to come to this should enrage anyone who cares about football in Ireland. And that is important. There will be a lot of people who were on that gravy train who will try to climb down and distance themselves from it now - and shouldn't be allowed to do so. The taint of association with that man should follow them all around for as long as they stay involved with football, all the way down to grassroots level.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 09 Dec 2019 at 5:04pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I don't think i could say anything on this that hasn't already been said - it's scarcely believable how much they got away with, and were allowed to get away with. With the amount of gombeen men bought and paid for by favours that should have just been him doing his job- it really paints yet another depressing picture of how many unscrupulous and servile people are in this country.

The searches on home and foreign soil while brazenly claiming that fans are not being stopped from protesting. The sycophants on punditry, media, this site and everywhere else claiming that such protests are detrimental to the team, should be done where nobody can see them, the people doing them don't care about Irish football, and so on. The defamation threats about reporting that a video of him singing was in fact clearly him. The pittance that domestic football makes in this country, barely over the costs of his birthday bash for winning the league. Blaming any issue with that on bitter LOI fans. The crocodile tears over the 'bullying' he had to endure. The extensive biographies on 'John the Baptist'. The cabal of influencers, socialites and Celtic Tiger celebrities painting John as a poor victim taking ire from uncultured soccer thugs.

And at the end of all of it, the body tasked with ensuring that football is organised in this country is 55 million euros in debt through sheer greed and corruption, the guards are involved, the government is (for self-interest) involved. It's f**king sickening. Anyone who opposed him was a troublemaker. The league was a problem child. Disingenuous calls to 'get behind the team' as though caring about the future of the game here and how football was being run was somehow anathema to events on the pitch.

They've taken the game we all follow and let it bleed to death so they could all carve out parts for themselves. And they were allowed do it by all the above. 

How the f**k it was allowed to come to this should enrage anyone who cares about football in Ireland. And that is important. There will be a lot of people who were on that gravy train who will try to climb down and distance themselves from it now - and shouldn't be allowed to do so. The taint of association with that man should follow them all around for as long as they stay involved with football, all the way down to grassroots level.
Could this come back at them especially if McGlue is involved in any legal cases?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

The searches on home and foreign soil while brazenly claiming that fans are not being stopped from protesting
Could this come back at them especially if McGlue is involved in any legal cases?

I would think it unlikely. Firstly, given how heavy-handed the treatment is, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of proof that would be actionable. It's also a relatively small incident compared to what's since come out. McGlue is a thoroughly nasty piece of work, and would have covered his tracks. I think it very strange that foreign football associations were content to have the FAI do this in their stadia, and the emails back and forth would be very revealing. They will have gone 'missing' in the event that any investigation was made into it. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:31pm

Great post and sums up how I feel about the entire shambles. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 12:55am

The searches on home and foreign soil while brazenly claiming that fans are not being stopped from protesting

I would think it unlikely. Firstly, given how heavy-handed the treatment is, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of proof that would be actionable. It's also a relatively small incident compared to what's since come out. McGlue is a thoroughly nasty piece of work, and would have covered his tracks. I think it very strange that foreign football associations were content to have the FAI do this in their stadia, and the emails back and forth would be very revealing. They will have gone 'missing' in the event that any investigation was made into it. 

Delaney should have been paying BIK on what McGlue was being paid. He was his personal secretary. I don’t understand what he could be doing with his day now.

From stalking fans forums to harassing individual fans to banning fans under false pretences to emailing Gardai fans details to reporting to Gardai a fan for an email sent to delaney telling him a few home truths crying harassment (the Gardai told him where to go fair quick) to acting as a bodyguard for himself and herself to checking whether Boats were running up the Liffey or private planes were being flown to attempting to hack supporters phones and setting up meetings with fans to pose threats off the record; he had some job spec.

The most complicit of them all along with the Board. 

Edited by Pipkin - 10 Dec 2019 at 12:57am
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Delaney should have been paying BIK on what McGlue was being paid. He was his personal secretary. I don’t understand what he could be doing with his day now.

From stalking fans forums to harassing individual fans to banning fans under false pretences to emailing Gardai fans details to reporting to Gardai a fan for an email sent to delaney telling him a few home truths crying harassment (the Gardai told him where to go fair quick) to acting as a bodyguard for himself and herself to checking whether Boats were running up the Liffey or private planes were being flown to attempting to hack supporters phones and setting up meetings with fans to pose threats off the record; he had some job spec.

The most complicit of them all along with the Board. 
Seriously? If any of this is found to be true, it's Nazism at best and illegal at worst.

There are laws about these things.

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 10:46am
The FAI board has told the Oireachtas committee that they won't be appearing before them tomorrow. Accountability has clearly massively improved then...
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:03am
it’s all true every bit of it . I’ve been physically and verbally threatened by Delaney’s boot boys and defenders.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 405406407408409 539>
  Share Topic