Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 399400401402403 539>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

So even after bankrupting the association and taking out wages and BIK totaling close to a million euros in each of his last few years at the FAI, the board still saw the good sense to pay this absolute piece of dirt 650 thousand euros total between gardening leave pay and his severance package since last March when this broke.

I wonder do the lads on here who were absolutely staunch that the FAI giving John Delaney a golden handshake was the smart move still feel the same way? I wonder do the lads on here who only a couple of months ago laughed at the notion that John Delaney or others at the FAI could be caught up in illegal activity, still think that nothing illegal has happened?

How many times has it been explained to you? Nobody was happy with Delaney getting a pay off but most* understood that the FAI not having any money meant they couldn’t afford to sack him and go through the courts. 
They also clearly couldn’t afford to keep him on as it would’ve cost them €3million in 12 months time. 
Most* also understood that legal charges for this sort of behavior in Ireland are literally non existent, no matter how much we wish that wasn’t the case, it is. 
You can be sure all of Delaneys actions were signed off by (some) of the board, no matter what that **** Conway says. Thus making it nigh on impossible to press charges against Delaney. 

You really need to stop letting your anger cloud your judgement on this. 

*not you 

So even with everything now coming out, you still believe that Delaney hasn't tripped up anywhere that would have merited him being sacked? You believe that Delaney hasn't tripped up anywhere that could lead to legal proceedings against him? Absolutely mind f*cking boggling comments

We have a bankrupt football association, owing 50 plus million (I'm guessing up to 70 million by the end of 2019), and you believe the correct thing to do was pay John Delaney 650k between pension payments, golden handshake and gardening leave wages?

You are on about him going through the courts. A man who clearly bankrupted the association, by most likely illegal means. Btw, when the association goes bust, which it very likely will, who exactly was Delaney going through the courts to get his monies off if he wasn't settled with?

*Your line about the FAI not having any money is absolutely f*cking hilarious. So they have no money, but they pay the man who burnt the association to the ground 650k from March onwards. The level of nonsense is something to behold.
Do you believe the report given to the Gardaí will result in charges? I’d be absolutely astounded if they do. 

Paul Cooke & the board will do everything in their power not to let the FAI go in to bankruptcy and they will be make financial decisions based on that goal. (Rightly or Wrongly) That includes making a payment of 462k instead of €3million or whatever the potential cost of going through the courts. 

In an ideal world they would’ve told him to get f**ked but we don’t live in an ideal world. That’s my whole point, and the point that’s been made to you numerous times. 

Edited by 9fingers - 07 Dec 2019 at 10:31am
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Maybe things couldn’t have been done, I’m not in any way a legal expert, but as a layman catching up with yesterday’s events  I see where Hans is coming from.
If he wasn’t paid off and told to go f**k himself what comeback could he legally have had? I don’t see how it could have impacted the news coming out. It is also fairly apparent that those who paid him off were in on it. 
Put simply; man who destroyed Irish football gets huge payout from accomplices. If it is the case that nothing could have been done about it then we need to be asking why? Why do those who commit ‘white-collar crime’ get rewarded? 

The boards biggest crime is they stood by and let it get to this point. Not the payout of 460k. FFS it looks like Deloitte were compliant in this charade over the years too, there seems to be so many individuals that supported his corrupt dealings that pinning any of them to him will be nearly impossible. 
Legal advice obviously told them they’d have a case to answer if they sacked him with no pension & payoff. 
And just to be clear I’m not happy with the situation, I just can understand it 

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:33am
Watched the full 42 mins presser last night. 

Was a low low point for me. 

The presentation was a farce, a 4th year doing young scientist would have more detail and better information. 

Cooke snapping because he couldn't work it. Conway basically saying which was almost comical that all the agreements promised to JD in 2014 - he / nor majority of board knew anything about. 

Tony says "so who signed it off" - no answer 

There was a fella to the left of Cooke who I don't know, was getting roasted by a journo from the 42 I believe, hard to hear the questions but he was squirming in his seat. It was very uncomfortable and embarrassing. > who is this guy?

4 x independant directors are being compared to the return of Jesus himself. 

They actually had a professional slide up that said "regain trust"

It was the worst Q&A I've ever seen as basically no questions were answered at all. 

Oh and JD got a f**king 'loyalty' bonus - HOLY f**k

Edited by kearney304 - 07 Dec 2019 at 10:34am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:34am
But surely the case to answer would have been answered yesterday? Which means those that have the payout are themselves guilty! Nobody can claim that degree of ignorance, surely!
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:37am
What I can’t understand is how members of the board didn’t know about the contracts being drawn up between the CEO and the organisation. Almost as weird is why they didn’t ask. What did they talk about at meetings?  
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:38am
9fingers, your logic is simply illogical, for want of a better word. The FAI knew where they were financially when they settled with Delaney. They knew they were essentially bankrupt, and they knew exactly why that had come to be. Yet, the man mainly responsible for all of these financial problems, was looked after in the end. It is scandalous.

You can go on about courts, 3 million, etc. all you want. The simple fact is that there isn't a pot to p*ss in the FAI now. Jobs galore will be cut. They are essentially bankrupt and there's a real chance that the FAI will not survive this. Now this would all have been known when settling up with John Delaney, this wasn't something that was discovered yesterday morning. In the circumstances, there is absolutely no way that John Delaney should have received a cent from the FAI.

As I said at the time the settlement looks like a complete stitch up job. PM just alluded to the same. If the FAI were genuinely trying to move forward over the past 6 months John Delaney would have been sacked without a penny going to him. You can surely see the logic in not rewarding the person who bankrupted the association, can you not?

Edited by Hans Moleman - 07 Dec 2019 at 10:40am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:45am

9fingers, your logic is simply illogical, for want of a better word. The FAI knew where they were financially when they settled with Delaney. They knew they were essentially bankrupt, and they knew exactly why that had come to be. Yet, the man mainly responsible for all of these financial problems, was looked after in the end. It is scandalous.

You can go on about courts, 3 million, etc. all you want. The simple fact is that there isn't a pot to p*ss in the FAI now. Jobs galore will be cut. They are essentially bankrupt and there's a real chance that the FAI will not survive this. Now this would all have been known when settling up with John Delaney, this wasn't something that was discovered yesterday morning. In the circumstances, there is absolutely no way that John Delaney should have received a cent from the FAI.

As I said at the time the settlement looks like a complete stitch up job. PM just alluded to the same. If the FAI were genuinely trying to move forward over the past 6 months John Delaney would have been sacked without a penny going to him. You can surely see the logic in not rewarding the person who bankrupted the association, can you not?
For the millionth time of course I can see the logic, but I can also see the leagalities of it. 
Do I like it? No absolutely not. But they received leagal advice saying they would have a case to answer if they didn’t make the payments. Again, do I like it? No, but I understand that this country has a history of not taking on people at the top of rogue institutions. 
You’ve more chance of doing jail time for robbing a jersey than robbing the millions Delaney has from Irish football. Again, not right but it’s where we are. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:46am
Hans what if the FAI sacked Delaney he took them to the Labour Court for unfair dismissal and won? Basically then the FAI would owe him €3 million, the cost of his legal team (no doubt the most expensive available) and the costs of their own. So potentiality costs of €4million +. 

You're basically assuming that something that JD done during his tenure was illegal or not approved by the board etc. This very well be true but I imagine the FAI made the decision that they would rather take a €460k hit and move on. 

None of us know the full details and basically are just filling in the gaps.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:52am
RTÉ had legal experts and prof. Niamh Kearns whose specialty is corporate governance both said that Delaney had them over a barrell because Cody and Murray had signed off on his €3m loyalty bonus and the fai had to do a deal .

I’m not happy about it but I work in the law and I can see the logic . As for what happened yesterday there was enough of us on here who have questioned jd’s leadership from day one and we have been laughed at and treated like pariahs by a lot of people on here who were in jd’s pocket. Lastly the statements from the sc’s set up by jd and his side kicks yo divide our supporters ring very hollow after dining at their masters table for the last six years.

Edited by gufct - 07 Dec 2019 at 10:53am
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:54am
Do people actually believe 1) that the FAI wouldn't have reason to sack Delaney and 2) wouldn't have reason to sack Delaney due to illegal practices while in his CEO role?

With everything that has come out now, do people actually think that the FAI had nothing on him? Once everything started coming out more than 9 months ago it was clear as day that the FAI had good reason to remove Delaney if they wanted. Now, with an even clearer picture of what has gone on and people still believe it was right to settle with him and pay him 200k in wages while on gardening leave. I'll say it again. The mind boggles.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:54am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Watched the full 42 mins presser last night. 

Was a low low point for me. 

The presentation was a farce, a 4th year doing young scientist would have more detail and better information. 

Cooke snapping because he couldn't work it. Conway basically saying which was almost comical that all the agreements promised to JD in 2014 - he / nor majority of board knew anything about. 

Tony says "so who signed it off" - no answer 

There was a fella to the left of Cooke who I don't know, was getting roasted by a journo from the 42 I believe, hard to hear the questions but he was squirming in his seat. It was very uncomfortable and embarrassing. > who is this guy?

4 x independant directors are being compared to the return of Jesus himself. 

They actually had a professional slide up that said "regain trust"

It was the worst Q&A I've ever seen as basically no questions were answered at all. 

Oh and JD got a f**king 'loyalty' bonus - HOLY f**k

That was John Earley, the SFAI rep on the board who was also on the board while all these decisions were being made. He will be the only remaining member of the old board left after Conway steps down. He gave no impression he was considering his own positon which is absolutely ridiculous as it's untenable by any definition. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:56am
Hans want accountability, we all do. Maybe in time we will get it. Right now however from the outside looking in, it would have been nothing else other than a risky move to sack Delaney with the finances all over the place.

Cooke mentioned several times a finance plan for next 3 years that still hasn't been approved. A labour court case hovering in the background with potential loses upwards of 4 million would torpedo any refinancing plan approval.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:07am
There three potential reasons in my opinion the board didn't sack JD

1- He didn't do anything illegal and it was all above board.
2 - Sacking him potentially lead to a long legal battle with an uncertain outcome.
3 - Any legal action could have implicated board members so they decided not too.

Potentially there is truth in all three reasons to certain degrees but I'm of the opinion given his past of legal actions JD a sacking without anything would have went down a long legal route. Given Ireland's history of dealkng with white collar crime the outcome would be uncertain. Maybe if he was importing garlic it might be a different story.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Hans what if the FAI sacked Delaney he took them to the Labour Court for unfair dismissal and won? Basically then the FAI would owe him €3 million, the cost of his legal team (no doubt the most expensive available) and the costs of their own. So potentiality costs of €4million +. 

You're basically assuming that something that JD done during his tenure was illegal or not approved by the board etc. This very well be true but I imagine the FAI made the decision that they would rather take a €460k hit and move on. 

None of us know the full details and basically are just filling in the gaps.
But what has come out surely shows he couldn’t have won though? Meaning it was a payout from people that knew he was crooked! I guess it is the law that is wrong, but the first thing is to change the law then!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:11am

2 - Sacking him potentially lead to a long legal battle with an uncertain outcome.
3 - Any legal action could have implicated board members so they decided not too.

Potentially there is truth in all three reasons to certain degrees but I'm of the opinion given his past of legal actions JD a sacking without anything would have went down a long legal route. Given Ireland's history of dealkng with white collar crime the outcome would be uncertain. Maybe if he was importing garlic it might be a different story.
The third reason seems most likely! Which means that these people took over an organisation, helped themselves and there are no repercussions!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The third reason seems most likely! Which means that these people took over an organisation, helped themselves and there are no repercussions!
Who governs the board? Is it the non-executive members? I remember Babbsballs put something up before that basically the board signs off on the CEOs expenses and vice versa.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:18am
Yesterday was a low point but I fully expect it to get worse. 

Who is Paul Cooke - how aggressive was he yesterday? Is he a good or bad guy here?

Being honest a lot of this is over my head - bit like United. You know the owners are bad but I only focus on the football. 

Same as Ireland > I knew JD was bad but just ignored it. Sure we have done more? Looking at the French again, they really know how to protest.

Feels surreal.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

For the millionth time of course I can see the logic, but I can also see the leagalities of it. 
Do I like it? No absolutely not. But they received leagal advice saying they would have a case to answer if they didn’t make the payments. Again, do I like it? No, but I understand that this country has a history of not taking on people at the top of rogue institutions. 
You’ve more chance of doing jail time for robbing a jersey than robbing the millions Delaney has from Irish football. Again, not right but it’s where we are. 

Hans, read this post until it sinks in. You've been banging that drum for the last number of months. 

Unfortunately, the legalities of the situation meant that this was the course of action that had to taken. Ideally, your logic would prevail. But we live in a country where white collar crime goes relatively unpunished.

Is it right? No. Are fans happy about it? Again, I'd say no.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 399400401402403 539>
  Share Topic