Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 398399400401402 539>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:57am
So the FAI are 55 million in the hole. Deloitte say that the jig is essentially up. FAI staff are going to be let go en masse. Yet it's 6 weeks since John Delaney pocketed 463k in a settlement package. This after being on full pay for almost 6 months while on gardening leave.

So even after bankrupting the association and taking out wages and BIK totaling close to a million euros in each of his last few years at the FAI, the board still saw the good sense to pay this absolute piece of dirt 650 thousand euros total between gardening leave pay and his severance package since last March when this broke.

I wonder do the lads on here who were absolutely staunch that the FAI giving John Delaney a golden handshake was the smart move still feel the same way? I wonder do the lads on here who only a couple of months ago laughed at the notion that John Delaney or others at the FAI could be caught up in illegal activity, still think that nothing illegal has happened?

Delaney is absolutely p*ssing himself laughing. An association that is essentially bankrupt and has little chance of survival, has paid him 650k while on its last legs. It is beyond disgusting and a fitting end to a despicable FAI board. Delaney should have been fired last March. There is absolutely no doubt about that. Not one single cent more should have made its way to him since March. I look forward to the YBIG HR peoples responses on this also.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 07 Dec 2019 at 4:00am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:04am
Wrap it up

There's no end game at all to this unless it happens

Every section of the game needs to look at themselves and their interests and then come together under the idea of how can we all make a bigger association work.

Everyone is part of this problem, inclusive fans, including me, we have fed a monster that will continue to eat itself ant time their is a hint of success

Either have a culture of football in this country we are proud of or continue on a 20 year cycle of , reform,  scandal, reform, scandal.

Either that or send in the gas or the IFA to look after us, cos as much as they f**king hate football here, they would still have done a better job.

inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:48am
if the association is wound up, and a new governing body takes over immediately so we still have a national team and league, what would be the impact on fans?

Any long term ticket holders? ST or 5 / 10 years premium?

Anything else that could make fans creditors of the FAI?

What about something annoying like having bought the newest jersey and it is replaced immediately but you paid top dollar, thinking that it would have some life in it?

For all those calling for the whole shebang to be wound up, what would the negative personal consequences ti fans be?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:52am
There are people who are on low to medium wages who could possibly lose their job and you are worried about buying a jersey and it no longer being the official jersey.   Ffs.
AKA pedantic kunt
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

There are people who are on low to medium wages who could possibly lose their job and you are worried about buying a jersey and it no longer being the official jersey.   Ffs.

I’m talking about how the winding up of the FAI can have an impact on individual fans. 

It should be possible to ask a question without it being compared to the plight of employees.

If the only thing which matters is the wages of the staff, is there any point in discussing anything else?

I’ll bet you’re great fun on a night out. All conversations ranked in order of importance, no deviation from the most emotive. “There’s a housing crisis in Dublin, kids with nowhere to go for Christmas and you’re complaining about the selection on the jukebox ffs”. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 7:04am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I’m talking about how the winding up of the FAI can have an impact on individual fans. 

It should be possible to ask a question without it being compared to the plight of employees.

If the only thing which matters is the wages of the staff, is there any point in discussing anything else?

I’ll bet you’re great fun on a night out. All conversations ranked in order of importance, no deviation from the most emotive. “There’s a housing crisis in Dublin, kids with nowhere to go for Christmas and you’re complaining about the selection on the jukebox ffs”. 

Go ring Joe Duffy.   The only people.who should be worrying about whether the jersey is worn by the players or not are kids. 

In the scheme of things it's so low level and irrelevant.  The org is 55 million in debt and facing possible redundancies and the possible shutting down of programmes etc and you are bringing up issues like changing our jersey prematurely as possinle a reason to keep.the status quo.  

Talk about failing to see the big picture at a time of crisis. 
AKA pedantic kunt
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 7:07am

Go ring Joe Duffy.   The only people.who should be worrying about whether the jersey is worn by the players or not are kids. 

In the scheme of things it's so low level and irrelevant.  The org is 55 million in debt and facing possible redundancies and the possible shutting down of programmes etc and you are bringing up issues like changing our jersey prematurely as possinle a reason to keep.the status quo.  

Talk about failing to see the big picture at a time of crisis. 

I am asking what the impact will be on fans, those not directly involved with the association. 

Can you not understand that there could be such an impact?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 7:49am

if the association is wound up, and a new governing body takes over immediately so we still have a national team and league, what would be the impact on fans?

What about something annoying like having bought the newest jersey and it is replaced immediately but you paid top dollar, thinking that it would have some life in it?

For all those calling for the whole shebang to be wound up, what would the negative personal consequences ti fans be?
Wonder if theres any chance we'd be thrown out of a competition. Teams in UK that go into administration get big points deductions (that usually result in a relegation). Anyone aware if there's any precident in international football? Either for the National Team or clubs? Would be a shame for Bohs to miss their big day out
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:10am
Along with all the low to mid ranked employees at the fai,
I"m sure Stephen Kenny is wondering if his contract will be upheld. 

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

Originally posted by forza trapp forza trapp wrote:

Having supported our team for around 50 years I’ve seen some bad times with the FAI but the current mess reaches a new low.
Desie is right, we need to start again. Reform will not happen quickly enough with guys like Early still on the board or anyone who had any connection with the FAI at board of council level previously.

Despite being a ST holder and regular away traveler my interest in the rest of this euro campaign is zero.

I take your point but I think we have distinguish between our team and the incompetent clowns who administer football. I will never stop supporting the lads who wear the shirt. They are us and we are them. That includes  buying a ST ( not as a support for the FAI but as a saving on the cost of attending every game, which we do anyway). 

As for the FAI, the board and the Council have betrayed Irish football. Nobody who sat on the discredited board should ever be involved again. Either they went along with this sh1t or were too stupid (there is some evidence of this) to see what was going on. 

Tbh probably won't bother with an st next year. Will be freebies galore going on. Kinda wished I hadn't started going again a year and a half ago with all that's happened
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Wonder if theres any chance we'd be thrown out of a competition. Teams in UK that go into administration get big points deductions (that usually result in a relegation). Anyone aware if there's any precident in international football? Either for the National Team or clubs? Would be a shame for Bohs to miss their big day out

I presume that before the FAI goes kaput, the government sets up some interim body, the clubs sign up, they go to UEFA and say this is the new Ireland, and on the day when the FAI is no more, this organisation is there to take its place. Hopefully international competition should continue with the same players, but would we keep our rank? Likewise, create a new league with the LoI clubs, but do last year’s achievements in a now defunct league allow clubs to play in Europe?

If we write off the playoffs, we could maybe re-form and be back with a new FA for the start of the WC 2022 playoffs. Even if we went to the bottom of the world rankings, you would expect us to be as competitive as we are at present, due to the same squad, so be bottom seeds in a qualifying group but finish second in a group, maybe third. Become the highest rising nation in the FIFA rankings for many months.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Hard not to come to the conclusion the whole thing needs to be wrapped up. Sport Ireland should disband the current FAI and leave the current board there as a kind of a shadow operation to see out the playoffs and/or Euros, but make it clear to all sponsors/affiliates/UEFA that this is a wind down operation and what remains is just to see out those campaigns and those of the various Irish representative teams. Government steps in & funds them separately, like they seem to have done with the womens team. 

If UEFA get on board, great, if they don't fcuk them. Announce new FAI under new name, sell the stadium back to the IRFU for whatever they can get, invite applications for a slimmed down board, only those with professional business related qualifications that never had anything to do with JD's operation need apply. 

Announce this as the new governing body, then announce new structure for all affiliated leagues, councils and representatives-  again, slimmed down, and again, recommend that only those with suitable qualifications will qualify for places on councils. The likes of 'hear no evil, see no evil' Mr Earley should also be allowed apply, but there should be a rule that says the new main board can reject applicants/representatives if deemed unsuitable by new board. So if the schoolboys sector see fit to nominate him again, or the lads in Kerry district league elect their hero, the board can say 'No thanks, now fcuk off and elect someone else, otherwise no funding for a decade' They'd get the message fairly quick, money talks. 

I think its gone well beyond desires to implement change, to a stage where change must be forced, whatever the short term cost. Even the short term cost is unlikely to reach €55 million. And that's only the 2018 accounts remember, the 2019 accounts are yet to come. Probably nothing too mad in them other than some expensive away trips and another overpaid manager, but only the very brave would predict a profitable year. 

Disband or at least disaffiliate all SCs from anything to do with the new FAI. I'd accept they didn't cause the problem, but Jesus some of the social media posts today are sickening in their hypocrisy. Expressing sympathy for the ordinary FAI staff (fair enough in itself, I think we all feel the same) but zero acknowledgement of the fact they wouldn't raise even the mildest of criticism of the great leader when he was supplying them with the all important match tickets, access to the players lounge, invites to the AGM, providing selfie opportunities with players, invites to the Euro draw etc. Load of absolute bollix. 

55 million bonus points for the first SC to publically admit their actions in tacitly supporting the Delaney regime were completely self serving. 

agree with all this. We need a new governing body completely disassociated from the FAI. Even if it risks expulsion from competition for a period. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:38am
We didnt finish second in our group as things stand. 

Over the last few campaigns it has been mainly third.  That's our new level  

Edited by Baldrick - 07 Dec 2019 at 8:39am
AKA pedantic kunt
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

So even after bankrupting the association and taking out wages and BIK totaling close to a million euros in each of his last few years at the FAI, the board still saw the good sense to pay this absolute piece of dirt 650 thousand euros total between gardening leave pay and his severance package since last March when this broke.

I wonder do the lads on here who were absolutely staunch that the FAI giving John Delaney a golden handshake was the smart move still feel the same way? I wonder do the lads on here who only a couple of months ago laughed at the notion that John Delaney or others at the FAI could be caught up in illegal activity, still think that nothing illegal has happened?

How many times has it been explained to you? Nobody was happy with Delaney getting a pay off but most* understood that the FAI not having any money meant they couldn’t afford to sack him and go through the courts. 
They also clearly couldn’t afford to keep him on as it would’ve cost them €3million in 12 months time. 
Most* also understood that legal charges for this sort of behavior in Ireland are literally non existent, no matter how much we wish that wasn’t the case, it is. 
You can be sure all of Delaneys actions were signed off by (some) of the board, no matter what that **** Conway says. Thus making it nigh on impossible to press charges against Delaney. 

You really need to stop letting your anger cloud your judgement on this. 

*not you 

Edited by 9fingers - 07 Dec 2019 at 9:44am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 9:32am
Rip it up. Start again. Take the hit with the national team for a period. Football will be fine at grassroots and local level. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Rip it up. Start again. Take the hit with the national team for a period. Football will be fine at grassroots and local level. 

I’m not sure FIFA or UEFA would be too bothered if we replace the Judean People’s Front with the People’s Front of Judea. If the house is in order and they don’t have to provide funding, it should be OK. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

How many times has it been explained to you? Nobody was happy with Delaney getting a pay off but most* understood that the FAI not having any money meant they couldn’t afford to sack him and go through the courts. 
They also clearly couldn’t afford to keep him on as it would’ve cost them €3million in 12 months time. 
Most* also understood that legal charges for this sort of behavior in Ireland are literally non existent, no matter how much we wish that wasn’t the case, it is. 
You can be sure all of Delaneys actions were signed off by (some) of the board, no matter what that **** Conway says. Thus making it nigh on impossible to press charges against Delaney. 

You really need to stop letting your anger cloud your judgement on this. 

*not you 

So even with everything now coming out, you still believe that Delaney hasn't tripped up anywhere that would have merited him being sacked? You believe that Delaney hasn't tripped up anywhere that could lead to legal proceedings against him? Absolutely mind f*cking boggling comments

We have a bankrupt football association, owing 50 plus million (I'm guessing up to 70 million by the end of 2019), and you believe the correct thing to do was pay John Delaney 650k between pension payments, golden handshake and gardening leave wages?

You are on about him going through the courts. A man who clearly bankrupted the association, by most likely illegal means. Btw, when the association goes bust, which it very likely will, who exactly was Delaney going through the courts to get his monies off if he wasn't settled with?

*Your line about the FAI not having any money is absolutely f*cking hilarious. So they have no money, but they pay the man who burnt the association to the ground 650k from March onwards. The level of nonsense is something to behold.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 07 Dec 2019 at 10:09am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:10am
Maybe things couldn’t have been done, I’m not in any way a legal expert, but as a layman catching up with yesterday’s events  I see where Hans is coming from.
If he wasn’t paid off and told to go f**k himself what comeback could he legally have had? I don’t see how it could have impacted the news coming out. It is also fairly apparent that those who paid him off were in on it. 
Put simply; man who destroyed Irish football gets huge payout from accomplices. If it is the case that nothing could have been done about it then we need to be asking why? Why do those who commit ‘white-collar crime’ get rewarded? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 398399400401402 539>
  Share Topic