Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 539>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 12:35am
I'm not aware of the exact criteria for the Genesis report or how broad their scope was in the first place, given it was so long ago now, but broadly, I think it was a report into the leadership structures of the FAI and possibly they added a few of their own observations on other football related things in there as well. 

My point here is that while they may have suggested reform, as far as I'm aware, they weren't commissioned to implement that reform, nor suggest how it would be implemented, I dare say the report might have cost a good bit more if they were given that scope. 

Neither I imagine, would it be up to them to implement that reform, unless the FAI were to subcontract those decisions elsewhere, which would be a bit unusual for a governing body. In reality, it looks like a non runner, but basically, only because the FAI have not even suggested any reform in this area (despite the recommendations), never mind implement any. 

There is no desire or will among the FAI to implement this reform either, as it stands, you have the power invested in the junior/schoolboy clubs, you have an FAI board beholden to those clubs for the power they have, and the only losers are the LOI clubs, a situation the FAI seems relatively (if not happy) accepting of, even to the degree that they lose an odd club here & there without too much drama about it other than the few hundred fans of that club making a bit of noise for a few weeks, a pretty easy thing to ignore for an organisation well practiced in ignoring noise (or indeed questions) from the outside for many decades. 

Don't get me wrong, it would be a massive undertaking & would be politically very difficult for the FAI to do, but at the same time, only they can implement the changes, as the governing body, this is surely their remit & nobody else's. It would be very interesting if O'Donovan's suggestions of witholding funding were to come to fruition, he seems far more gung ho about the subject than his senior minister Ross does, but that might be the idealism of a (relatively) youthful politician and not a lot else. 

But while your initial post focused on this area, and I was only responding to that particular post, it should be noted that the FAI have failed to implement many aspects of the Genesis report, despite a Mr Delaney, the then new chief executive of the FAI back in 2005, promising to implement the report in full when he took over. 

There are the notable corporate governance issues, reducing the board down to 10 members (hasn't happened) as well as a limit on the period of time being served on the board (hasn't happened) as well as the upper age limits on officers of the board (actually increased at the last FAI AGM, in a direct contradiction of the Genesis reforms) , some of which were referred to by Ms Murphy in the clip above. 

If you were cynical enough, you might even think the CEO cherry picked the bits of the report to implement to best consolidate his own power in the organisation, but luckily I'm not cynical and maybe the mere 12 years he has been in situ hasn't been quite enough time for him to act on his convictions as expressed back in 2005.....

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 1:15am
Nail on the head deise once again . 👏👏
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 1:47am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I'm not aware of the exact criteria for the Genesis report or how broad their scope was in the first place, given it was so long ago now, but broadly, I think it was a report into the leadership structures of the FAI and possibly they added a few of their own observations on other football related things in there as well. 

My point here is that while they may have suggested reform, as far as I'm aware, they weren't commissioned to implement that reform, nor suggest how it would be implemented, I dare say the report might have cost a good bit more if they were given that scope. 

Neither I imagine, would it be up to them to implement that reform, unless the FAI were to subcontract those decisions elsewhere, which would be a bit unusual for a governing body. In reality, it looks like a non runner, but basically, only because the FAI have not even suggested any reform in this area (despite the recommendations), never mind implement any. 

There is no desire or will among the FAI to implement this reform either, as it stands, you have the power invested in the junior/schoolboy clubs, you have an FAI board beholden to those clubs for the power they have, and the only losers are the LOI clubs, a situation the FAI seems relatively (if not happy) accepting of, even to the degree that they lose an odd club here & there without too much drama about it other than the few hundred fans of that club making a bit of noise for a few weeks, a pretty easy thing to ignore for an organisation well practiced in ignoring noise (or indeed questions) from the outside for many decades. 

Don't get me wrong, it would be a massive undertaking & would be politically very difficult for the FAI to do, but at the same time, only they can implement the changes, as the governing body, this is surely their remit & nobody else's. It would be very interesting if O'Donovan's suggestions of witholding funding were to come to fruition, he seems far more gung ho about the subject than his senior minister Ross does, but that might be the idealism of a (relatively) youthful politician and not a lot else. 

But while your initial post focused on this area, and I was only responding to that particular post, it should be noted that the FAI have failed to implement many aspects of the Genesis report, despite a Mr Delaney, the then new chief executive of the FAI back in 2005, promising to implement the report in full when he took over. 

There are the notable corporate governance issues, reducing the board down to 10 members (hasn't happened) as well as a limit on the period of time being served on the board (hasn't happened) as well as the upper age limits on officers of the board (actually increased at the last FAI AGM, in a direct contradiction of the Genesis reforms) , some of which were referred to by Ms Murphy in the clip above. 

If you were cynical enough, you might even think the CEO cherry picked the bits of the report to implement to best consolidate his own power in the organisation, but luckily I'm not cynical and maybe the mere 12 years he has been in situ hasn't been quite enough time for him to act on his convictions as expressed back in 2005.....

i've read the report, i cant find anything in it that shows where  there should be time limits of officers, or how change should be implemented.  It does recommend ground sharing for LOI clubs to improve facilities,and a 10 team premier division and two regional divisions below that, but again no detail on where funding was to be got.

Genesis IMO was a waste of money, as it didn't produce any worthwhile improvements with an actual way of financing same.

I know nothing :-)
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

i've read the report, i cant find anything in it that shows where  there should be time limits of officers, or how change should be implemented.  It does recommend ground sharing for LOI clubs to improve facilities,and a 10 team premier division and two regional divisions below that, but again no detail on where funding was to be got.

Genesis IMO was a waste of money, as it didn't produce any worthwhile improvements with an actual way of financing same.

I couldnt be arsed reading it yet but I will say that if they dont suggest a change of Directors after 16 years they should be hung drawn and quartered

If theres nothing in it saying that a CEO shouldnt be an officer for more than 16 years fair dues

Edited by Pipkin - 03 Feb 2017 at 6:52am
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 7:00am

Community Links

The clubs must focus on building strong links and associations with their local
communities, both from a playing and non-playing perspective. On the playing side,
the league club should act as the pinnacle of football in the area in a pyramid
structure. The clubs should have the capability to recruit, coach and retain local
talent from under age through to the Senior team. Ideally, the club should work in
partnership with all clubs in its area to support the development of players and
create a genuine partnership between the local amateur clubs and the league club.
As outlined above, each amateur club/league should be attached to a league club.  

For this to work efficiently the issue of compensation to
amateur/schoolboy clubs/leagues should be addressed and a clear
protocol agreed.
Off the field, the clubs should invest in building closer relationships with the local
schools, clubs, and the community in general. There are numerous examples of
innovative community-based schemes in sports throughout the world. For example,
most UK clubs operate a ‘Football in the Community’ scheme. Bolton Wanderers’
scheme included over 20,000 adults and children last year in a diverse range of
activities. By developing community-based schemes, clubs can attract new fans to
the club and strengthen the loyalties of longer established supporters.
It is possible that public funding may be available for Football in the Community
officers to be appointed at league clubs. This should be pursued aggressively.

From Genesis - has any LOI club attempted to develop links with all the schools and clubs in its catchment area?    Asking a question, would be interesting to know just how many have, if any.

Vintage GF

Genesis and all its failings comes up and you come up with this?
Stick in league of Ireland section if you are so concerned
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 9:10am
age limit of the board
term limits
board size 
and crucially, the appointment of 2 non executive external board members 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 9:40am

http://foot.ie/inc/pdf/genesis.pdf

[/QUOTE]

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

GF, you are so good at deflection that you should subcontract your services to the FAI. I suppose the fact that they do read this forum and you leap to defend them irrespective of the circumstances probably can't do much harm for the profile of CO88 in Abbottstown eh?

Do not allow anyone to take the masters name in vain on your watch. Good boy. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

age limit of the board
term limits
board size 

I can't find that

I did see something about changing the composition of the board slightly
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

p

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

GF, you are so good at deflection that you should subcontract your services to the FAI. I suppose the fact that they do read this forum and you leap to defend them irrespective of the circumstances probably can't do much harm for the profile of CO88 in Abbottstown eh?

Do not allow anyone to take the masters name in vain on your watch. Good boy. 
[/QUOTE]

How is criticism of the actual Genesis report defending the FAI

The report was a waste of taxpayers money IMO.

Show me radical proposals in it with how they could be financed and implemented

it states LOI clubs need to improve stadium facilities. Match day experience. Links with junior clubs etc in their catchment area etc

It fails to say where the clubs van get the finances to do this

How is pointing out that defending the FAI ?

Can you showe what Genesis actually proposed and where they show the money to pay for it will come from
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:20am
In fairness to Genesis, they were never really the same after Peter Gabriel left.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

i

I couldnt be arsed reading it yet but I will say that if they dont suggest a change of Directors after 16 years they should be hung drawn and quartered

If theres nothing in it saying that a CEO shouldnt be an officer for more than 16 years fair dues

Classic

I couldn't be atsed reading it

So are you saying Genesis was well written and came up with a realistic blueprint for the future of Irish football and how it would be financed ?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:21am
Follow You Follow Me is a great song
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Community Links

The clubs must focus on building strong links and associations with their local
communities, both from a playing and non-playing perspective. On the playing side,
the league club should act as the pinnacle of football in the area in a pyramid
structure. The clubs should have the capability to recruit, coach and retain local
talent from under age through to the Senior team. Ideally, the club should work in
partnership with all clubs in its area to support the development of players and
create a genuine partnership between the local amateur clubs and the league club.
As outlined above, each amateur club/league should be attached to a league club.  

For this to work efficiently the issue of compensation to
amateur/schoolboy clubs/leagues should be addressed and a clear
protocol agreed.
Off the field, the clubs should invest in building closer relationships with the local
schools, clubs, and the community in general. There are numerous examples of
innovative community-based schemes in sports throughout the world. For example,
most UK clubs operate a ‘Football in the Community’ scheme. Bolton Wanderers’
scheme included over 20,000 adults and children last year in a diverse range of
activities. By developing community-based schemes, clubs can attract new fans to
the club and strengthen the loyalties of longer established supporters.
It is possible that public funding may be available for Football in the Community
officers to be appointed at league clubs. This should be pursued aggressively.

From Genesis - has any LOI club attempted to develop links with all the schools and clubs in its catchment area?    Asking a question, would be interesting to know just how many have, if any.

Vintage GF

Genesis and all its failings comes up and you come up with this?
Stick in league of Ireland section if you are so concerned

Get

Surely you should be encouraging debate and different viewpoint's

It is a simple extract which shows up the report as a complete waste IMO

The schools clubs are Nite interested in links with British clubs than with LOI. Genesis does not offer a practical soloutoon to this

I have no idea what that solution is but I certainly didn't read a practical one in the report.

And please tell me how been critical of a report is defending the FAI

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:31am
But it's deflecting from the topic, clearly

As Citizen alluded to, and as John Delaney was asked about last week, these key suggestions don't need financing but have not been implemented

age limit of the board
term limits
board size 
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:34am
GF, the link you have is just the white paper on the eircom league, it is not the genesis report in its entirety 

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:39am
Was just about to say that Citizen.
Also, it cost £30k. Hardly a waste of taxpayer's money. Cash very well spent I would say
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:51am

GF, the link you have is just the white paper on the eircom league, it is not the genesis report in its entirety 

I stand corrected.   That's what I was reading

The link was posted by another poster

Obviously the white paper in the LOI was full of crap

Have you a link to the whole report ?
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 12:35pm

I stand corrected.   That's what I was reading

The link was posted by another poster

Obviously the white paper in the LOI was full of crap

Have you a link to the whole report ?
does not exist online.

But extracts about recommendations around corporate governance are in articles by the Irish times. So I'm assuming that the times conducted due Dilligence. If anyone can get me a copy will you please pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 539>
  Share Topic