FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 516517518519520 539>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 7:11pm
Can the Brazilian police just arrest John and Pat and lets this all be done with???
Sponsored Links

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Dear FAI, sticking the knife is a turn of phrase meaning the newspaper will be critical. 

Please don't take it literally. 

LOL
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 7:03pm
Crux of all that is his lawyer's claim that Mr Delaney has no executive role in the OCI, nor any role in decision making over ticketing in the OCI. 

Fair enough. 

2 things on that, firstly, has it been suggested anywhere that he has either an executive role in the OCI, or an input into their ticketing process ?? If such a newspaper or other media report exists, I haven't seen it. Maybe someone who has seen such a suggestion could fire up a link there. 

Secondly, since this story broke, virtually every media organisation have requested comments from Mr Delaney, to be told that he is unavailable for comment, for all of 3 weeks.  Would it not have been a lot easier for him to release a statement to the effect of something like this 3 weeks ago ??? 

'' With regard to the recent IOC/ticketing issue in Rio, I JD, Vice president of the OCI, would like to state that I do not have an executive role in the OCI and had no part in the ticketing licencing arrangements for Rio 2016. My position within the OCI is voluntary & unpaid. I will not be making any further comment on this matter until the investigation of the Brazilian police reaches a conclusion''

Why the need for lawyers to send letters if it is as black & white, as open & shut, clear as day as this ??

Who is paying for these lawyers to send statements, JD himself, the OCI, the FAI ?? 

Money wasted if tis his own money, but I suppose he has plenty of it to spare, but if it is OCI or FAI money, I'm not sure that would be the best way to spend it, given he could have clarified all this 3 weeks ago with a simple statement. I am not suggesting that it is OCI or FAI money being spent on these lawyers letters, but one thing is for certain, they aren't being sent free of charge, the legal profession doesn't tend to work like that. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 6:59pm
Whose paying goodbodys surely the FAI can't be as what's happening with the oci doesn't concern them
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Polug View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 6:20pm
Delaney calls in lawyers over touting coverage

John Delaney has sent legal letters to Irish newspapers over their coverage of the Olympic ticket-touting controversy.

A&L Goodbody, the corporate law firm, has written to a number of national newspapers and media agencies on behalf of the FAI's chief executive. Media outlets including The Irish Examiner, The Journal.ie and the Irish Independent are all understood to have received a letter.

On Sunday night, police in Rio de Janeiro said that they wanted to interview Mr Delaney as part of their investigation into the alleged touting of tickets for the Olympic Games.

Mr Delaney, who is vice-president of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), was named in a warrant with Willie O'Brien, acting president of the council, and Linda O'Reilly, personal assistant to the president. The court order authorised the seizure of their passports, but none of the three were in Brazil. There is no suggestion of wrongdoing on the part of Mr Delaney, Mr O'Brien and Ms O'Reilly.

On Saturday police seized the passports of Dermot Henihan, general secretary of the council, Kevin Kilty, its treasurer, and Stephen Martin, the chief executive. All three have since been interviewed by the police and have been told they can now return home. There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing on the part of the three.

It is understood that Mr Delaney's letters stated that he does not have an executive role in the OCI. His lawyers also said that he is a voluntary and unpaid member of the executive committee of the organisation and had no role in any decision-making when it came to the OCI's ticketing licence for the Games.

They also suggested that media outlets have been covering the story without seeking comment from Mr Delaney, who has not spoken publicly about the ticket-touting controversy since the story broke more than three weeks ago. He spoke to a radio station on Tuesday discussing the death of former FAI president but did not make any comment on ticketing.

The FAI have not responded to repeated requests for comment since Mr Delaney was named in the warrant on Sunday.

Mr Delaney attended a late-night meeting of the OCI board at the weekend, which outlined the council's response to the matter. He did not speak to the media afterwards.

The council has said that it will appoint an international accountancy firm this week to conduct a review of the ticketing arrangements for the Rio Games.

It added that earlier this week it had appointed Espion, a data security company, to secure, copy and seal the OCI server and all OCI electronic data

Carroll Moran, a former high court judge, has been named as chairman of a government inquiry to examine allegations of Olympic ticket-touting. The corporate governance and funding of the OCI may be examined as part of the inquiry.

Patrick O'Donovan, the junior sports minister, suggested that Mr Delaney could be asked to speak to the non-statutory investigation.

"We're not really minded to be naming individuals, but we would ask and we would fully expect that anybody who has any level of knowledge in relation to this issue will fully co-operate with Mr Moran," Mr O'Donovan said.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by St.Pauli Reloaded 2 St.Pauli Reloaded 2 wrote:

Did the Indo get a letter from his Legal Team ? Or to make it easier,who didnt get a letter Censored

The Times UK says the Irish Independent, the Examiner & the Journal.ie all got letters. Have no idea of the detail of those letters, as most of the following link is behind a paywall. 

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/delaney-calls-in-lawyers-over-ticket-tout-row-tc5hs8h2h

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
St.Pauli Reloaded 2 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Pauli Reloaded 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:48pm
Did the Indo get a letter from his Legal Team ? Or to make it easier,who didnt get a letter Censored
In Martin and Roy we Trust !
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:33pm
Dear FAI, sticking the knife is a turn of phrase meaning the newspaper will be critical. 

Please don't take it literally. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Sounds like they'll be sticking the knife into him

we can only hope
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:26pm
Sounds like they'll be sticking the knife into him
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by ontheball ontheball wrote:

Big spread tomorrow on the Irish Independent on JD.  Front page on the Review section.

Heard an ad for it on RTE Radio a few minutes ago as well. It's unclear though if there's anything of substance there, they're just talking about him being "the man who has remained silent this week".
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:35pm
Big spread tomorrow on the Irish Independent on JD.  Front page on the Review section.

Edited by ontheball - 26 Aug 2016 at 4:39pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 6:27pm
If the OCI want to regain any credability they should steer well clear of the Dear Leader

Edited by Denis Irwin - 19 Aug 2016 at 6:27pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Portal View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Mr. Paranoid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Portal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

What with the IOC leadership coming under intense scrutiny and JD already being lauded as a future leader there,will he be fast tracked for the job now?

Did I read somewhere that the salary is €60k a year [I think i also read that Hickey is saving it up to fund some kind of sports scholarship when he retires].
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 6:23pm
What with the IOC leadership coming under intense scrutiny and JD already being lauded as a future leader there,will he be fast tracked for the job now?

Edited by greenlad - 19 Aug 2016 at 6:24pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 7:10am
The camera shot of president Higgins celebrating and JD going mentah was great!
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 2:33pm
He needs to sort out the regulation of the league. Too many clubs have been given licences when they shouldn't have.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 11:22am
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

This is a good piece of business. Credit where it's due. A tad unfair to blame the non sales of vantage club at jd .... economy blew up if u remember.

The above does not absolve other fai issues i.e. transparency, tickets, structures etc

A tad unfair??? He was offered a set fee and refused it cause him being a financial genius knew best and look at the state of the game in Ireland as a result ffs If a bank manager's choices resulted in the consequences his FAILure did then they'd be sacked on the spot, but not Johnny...

I'm not the mans biggest fan but considering the economic crash etc i think the stadium thing is not what i'd sack him for. Wouldn't sack him for singing in the pub either.

Mite sack him for the state of the game in Ireland but would sack him for the lack of transparency in the whole administration. I think if we had transparency other issues would get resolved as people would have to because it would be in full public view.

Why does the reason for sacking him matter ........ it does because it outlines to the replacement what is expected. If he is sacked for singing rebel songs (the crime of the century according to some) maybe the replacement will be the same but just not sing rebel songs ......simplistic argument but I'm too worked up over the Swedish game to be intellectual today!! 
It's not me it's you:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 516517518519520 539>
  Share Topic