You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MON on Eamonn Dunphy and co

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MON on Eamonn Dunphy and co
    Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 9:17am

Martin O'Neill hits out at criticism from RTÉ panel

Aisling Crowe

Published 02/11/2014 | 02:30

In the immediate aftermath of Ireland's last-gasp draw with the world champions in Gelsenkirchen last month, a result that was hailed by many, RTÉ's analysts criticised O'Neill's lack of ambition and for not attempting a more expansive game plan against the Germans.

However, O'Neill revealed that he wasn't in the least bit bothered by the comments of Eamonn Dunphy, Liam Brady and John Giles. "I don't take what Eamon says seriously, absolutely not for 25 years now," said O'Neill. "I have to tell you this, I'm going to say this to you, I couldn't care less, I really could not, genuinely couldn't care. It's people's jobs to do it, it's my job to be the manager and it's just that I have to . . . I have to seem to justify everything. I'm not here to justify selection. My justification is to try and get results somewhere along the way."

The Republic of Ireland manager, who announced an extended 35-strong panel last Wednesday for the upcoming qualifier against Scotland and the friendly against the United States, was incredulous when told that Eamonn Dunphy, in particular, was vehement in his assertion that the Irish team should have played in a more adventurous style after John O'Shea's injury-time goal secured a point for Ireland.

"Brazil didn't even play a beautiful game against Germany (the 7-1 World Cup semi-final victory over the hosts in July). Brazil were incapable, that particular team was incapable of playing the beautiful game. Seriously, Eamon? Seriously, you must be kidding! Seriously!" he said, shaking his head.

"Eamonn wrote a great book on football and a lovely diary (Only A Game) and the reason I thought it was a great little book was because it was around my time and when he talks about Nottingham Forest being a good side, but not that good - absolutely spot on. We were all in the second division at that time, where Eamon never came out of."

One of the criticisms levelled at the former Celtic and Aston Villa manager by RTÉ's panel was his choice of players and in the midst of the celebrations, Aiden McGeady admitted that he was surprised when O'Neill told him he would be starting in midfield rather than in his more usual position of the wing.

"Aiden, he would be the first one to say, 'I can play anywhere in the team, other than full-back. I'm not a full-back'," said O'Neill. "Ask him anywhere else and he would say I can play there easily. We had a problem at full-back because the best full-back playing in Britain at this minute (Seamus Coleman), wasn't playing. I had a midfield player at full-back who would do it with the best will in the world, he's great but there is only certain things he could do. He needed protection.

"I needed someone as stubborn as Jon Walters, who will give me that strength there and still try to get in the box if we were getting crosses in through McClean. I felt Aiden could play in that position. For the first 20 minutes, it looked alien to him but he grew into it."

McGeady and his Everton colleague James McCarthy will also have to prepare for a potentially hostile reaction in Celtic Park as both players were born in Glasgow but chose to don the green of Ireland instead of Scotland's blue.

O'Neill has fewer concerns about McGeady's ability to ignore the venom from the stands than the six years younger McCarthy, who is a quieter character. He intends to speak with both players after the squad meets up tomorrow week.

"Aiden is well used to it, he gets enough from his own mob, and his own mob means me. I genuinely don't think it will bother him too much. I think Aiden is capable of dealing with it, he really is but I will certainly have a word with him to see. I know what the player is going to say. 'I will cope with it,' but it is only on the field do you know if you can really cope or not."

Sunday Indo Sport

Edited by Double Maxim - 02 Nov 2014 at 9:19am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

simon View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 9:32am
Is anybody out there who takes Dunhpy seriously? It's more comedy then anything else them 3 wise men talking.
Slovakian living in Ireland.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 9:58am
Unfortunately a lot of football supporters still do. And a high percentage on here and all.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:08am
Dunphy was right about Trap a long time before myself or nearly all on here (bar Trapped and Citizen) copped 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Dunphy was right about Trap a long time before myself or nearly all on here (bar Trapped and Citizen) copped 

Kerrzy, thats his default position for every manager and of course he is going to be right because nearly every manager if they stay in the job long enough becomes unpopular.  

He was the same with Eoin Hand, Jack Charlton, Mick McCarthy, Brian Kerr, Steve Staunton and Trap and is doing the same with O Neill.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Kerrzy, thats his default position for every manager and of course he is going to be right because nearly every manager if they stay in the job long enough becomes unpopular.  

He was the same with Eoin Hand, Jack Charlton, Mick McCarthy, Brian Kerr, Steve Staunton and Trap and is doing the same with O Neill.  

A loss on Friday week and he is proven right once againWink
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:28am
Originally posted by simon simon wrote:

Is anybody out there who takes Dunhpy seriously?

Yes. And they aren't very far away

Dunphy spent years telling everyone Christiano Ronaldo was not a great player, he was a show pony, he was selfish, no substance, hid in the big games, managers indulged him.

Then one day Eamo came to studio and said he was a great player and that is now his position. Every time he is on we are informed of his greatness. No reason given for the about turn in opinion, Ronaldo had done nothing different. That sums up mr. Dunphy for me.

Edited by eire77 - 02 Nov 2014 at 10:33am
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:31am

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

A loss on Friday week and he is proven right once againWink

The time is 31 mins past  11.   Give me an hour and I will be right too.  Does not mean you should ask me the time though.  

Edited by Baldrick - 02 Nov 2014 at 10:31am
AKA pedantic kunt
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 1:25pm
Well said by O'Neill.

Anybody who agrees with the trash Dunphy spouts knows little about football.

He has never given any Irish manager a chance, is always out to get him from the start. I thought he would be different with a manager like O'Neill but he's proved himself to be a clown once again!

If Ronaldo's career fizzles out dramatically, are people going to say Dunphy was right long before anybody else?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 1:46pm
LOLDunphy is a fool.  He doesn't have the best interests of Irish football at heart. He's a little bitter troublemaker that likes to criticise because he was a failure as a player.  I've never heard him praise an Irish manager for more than a brief moment and its always begrudging praise.

Giles still preaches football tactics from the FA's coaching manual from 1956.  I'm surprised he isn't talking  about 'outside right's'.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Well said by O'Neill.

Anybody who agrees with the trash Dunphy spouts knows little about football.

He has never given any Irish manager a chance, is always out to get him from the start. I thought he would be different with a manager like O'Neill but he's proved himself to be a clown once again!

If Ronaldo's career fizzles out dramatically, are people going to say Dunphy was right long before anybody else?

In a nutshell Lenny82

Clap
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 9:25pm
Now that MON has taken dunphy to task dunphy will be out like a vulture at the first bad result...
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 3:49am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Now that MON has taken dunphy to task dunphy will be out like a vulture at the first bad result...

7 minutes into the RTE coverage of georgia and dunphy was already calling o neill a coward.dunphy im sure will be ready with his vigerous analysis aka bollixology.
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

garretjoseph View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretjoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 4:11am
ah whatever. I agreed with dunphy on a few things and I think he goes way overboard on a lot of stuff but overall I only watch him because i'm curious to what kind of sh*te he will spout next. all in all, I draw my own conclusions from a match. 
da scientist View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
I've a tiny micky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da scientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 5:25am

It was the original scientist who called for trap to go after the bulgaria away game in 09. These 2 boyos were still in mccarthys bar asleep
The main thing is not to panic
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 11:02pm

Over on popular fans website, YouBoysInGreen.ie, Lenny82 added: “Not one ounce of credit given to Hendrick for his fantastic assist. Instead, the RTE panel went on and on and on about Hoolahan's overhit cross! Fantastic result, hard to watch. We all knew the stats would be like that in terms of shots, shots on target, possession, so why the panel can't be positive about getting a result is beyond me.”

Another fan, under the name of Whelo79, had this to offer: “I really think it's time for Dunphy and Giles to hang up their mics. Their constant complaining has become tiresome. Nobody minds criticism but they are just ridiculous at this stage.”

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 7:08am

RTE shuffle the pack for Friday as Sadlier comes in to stoke the flames

Richard Sadlier
Richard Sadlier

Squad rotation is common these days and it appears to be extending to the RTE studio.

The powers that be mixed it up for last month’s double-header, with Liam Brady, Kenny Cunningham and Richie Sadlier (above) taking the three punditry positions for the low-key Aviva qualifier with Gibraltar before the old guard of Brady, John Giles and Eamonn Dunphy came back in for the Germany draw.

But Giles, the senior analyst, will be absent from the TV screens this Friday with Sadlier joining Dunphy and Brady.

That combination should make for a lively debate whatever happens although the fact that the panel’s post-match thoughts sometimes become as much of a story as the match itself is a source of irritation.

Given accepts his backing role

Shay Given’s media duties yesterday were largely taken up by his strong comments on Gordon McQueen and he had relatively little to say about his own situation.

The 38-year-old came out of international retirement before September’s opening qualifier in Tbilisi and there was a strong belief in some circles that he would be bumped up ahead of David Forde.

But his lack of game-time at Aston Villa weakened his case. “David’s probably very much the number one at the minute,” he admitted, “But Keiren Westwood has pulled out with injury now so if something happens [injury], I’ve just got to work hard so Martin sees enough.”

Next Tuesday’s friendly with the USA looks a good opportunity for match practice in opposition to Brad Guzan – the man who has taken his place at Villa. “I might take him out myself!” joked Given.

Edited by Double Maxim - 13 Nov 2014 at 7:09am
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 10:45pm
Dunphy gave O'Neill a bit of credit last night for unearthing Christie and McGoldrick but in the same breath, he has a dig at Trap to say that he never unearthed anyone.

The likes of Cox, Folan, Green and Lawrence were all first capped by Trap and had pretty decent starts to their careers. Was just another example of Dunphy not being able to give praise to someone without detracting from another.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic