Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

***YBIG STATEMENT R/E MEETING YESTERDAY***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Real life Fr Austin Purcell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AidoM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:17am
Lads and lassies,

I have been away from YBIG, except for some (very) odd posting for the last year or so; I have been lurking and keeping an eye on things but I feel the situation in the last few days has risen the blood pressure considerably.

First let me say that Kev and the lads who met the FAi deserve huge credit for the way in which they mobilised themselves and other fans.

I was, with others from YBIG, involved in discussions with the FAI in relation to a ticketing system a few years ago when I was a Fans Liaison Officer (FLO) in 2010/2011. As has been well documented here and elsewhere a system for allocationg away tickets based on season tickets, away match attendance was proposed to the FAI. The system, as proposed, would have been open and transparent.

At that time, the (infamous) "Ticket Office" was still in place in the FAI. Because the FAI's "business" was not ticketing they outsourced their ticketing arrangements to Ticketmaster. At that time the FAI began to comply with the FIFA/UEFA requirement that all travelling fans had to submit their details to the FAI. These details have been available to the FAI since that time. However, a fundamental flaw in that system was that the details of those travelling with the FAI's official travel agent, Abbey Travel, were not submitted to the FAI and I understand that it was a similar situation for people who got tickets through a (then smaller number of) supporters clubs.

YBIG at that time, and it has always been acknowledged by the FAI, was considered as being representative of fans' views; it was to YBIG that the FAI came when trying to get an atmosphere going in Croke Park and Landsowne ....... or more correctly YBIG approached them ........... and it has been through the efforts of YBIG and not the FAI that the Singing Section and other fan initiatives have taken off.

The FAI have known for a considerable time that the allocation for Scotland was going to be the minimum 5%. As with so much from them they failed to communicate this to anybody, fans or media, until very late in the day. The relatively long knowledge of the low allocation should have and could have enabled them to devise a fair system for allocating the tickets, but more importantly communicate to fans how it was going to be done. It has taken a week, in no small measure due to the efforts of Kev and the lads here, to extract from the FAI, with the same seeming degree of pain associated with dental extraction, to find out how they did it.

I have to agree with everything Kev has said in relation to them moving the goalposts for allocating away tickets. It had always been indicated by the FAI that priority would be given to season ticket holders followed by those who had travelled to away matches. JD made such statements prior to Euro 2012 and games before that; at no stage was it ever indicated that supporters clubs would get preference in the allocation of such tickets (and as has been stated here YBIG is not a supporters club - despite it's high level of involvement)

What has been very obvious in the last few days is that the FAI does not have any system for the allocation of tickets for away games ......... it seems to change depending on what way the wind is blowing ......they can (and apparently do) make it up on a match by match basis. The words such as "understand" and "indicate" that I have used above underline this, because it has never been possible to get a definitive position on it.

The FAI have been very quick to take advantage of YBIG but I have to say that at this stage I feel that YBIG has been let down big time by the FAI

But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!
Sponsored Links

Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by AidoM AidoM wrote:

Lads and lassies,

I have been away from YBIG, except for some (very) odd posting for the last year or so; I have been lurking and keeping an eye on things but I feel the situation in the last few days has risen the blood pressure considerably.

First let me say that Kev and the lads who met the FAi deserve huge credit for the way in which they mobilised themselves and other fans.

I was, with others from YBIG, involved in discussions with the FAI in relation to a ticketing system a few years ago when I was a Fans Liaison Officer (FLO) in 2010/2011. As has been well documented here and elsewhere a system for allocationg away tickets based on season tickets, away match attendance was proposed to the FAI. The system, as proposed, would have been open and transparent.

At that time, the (infamous) "Ticket Office" was still in place in the FAI. Because the FAI's "business" was not ticketing they outsourced their ticketing arrangements to Ticketmaster. At that time the FAI began to comply with the FIFA/UEFA requirement that all travelling fans had to submit their details to the FAI. These details have been available to the FAI since that time. However, a fundamental flaw in that system was that the details of those travelling with the FAI's official travel agent, Abbey Travel, were not submitted to the FAI and I understand that it was a similar situation for people who got tickets through a (then smaller number of) supporters clubs.

YBIG at that time, and it has always been acknowledged by the FAI, was considered as being representative of fans' views; it was to YBIG that the FAI came when trying to get an atmosphere going in Croke Park and Landsowne ....... or more correctly YBIG approached them ........... and it has been through the efforts of YBIG and not the FAI that the Singing Section and other fan initiatives have taken off.

The FAI have known for a considerable time that the allocation for Scotland was going to be the minimum 5%. As with so much from them they failed to communicate this to anybody, fans or media, until very late in the day. The relatively long knowledge of the low allocation should have and could have enabled them to devise a fair system for allocating the tickets, but more importantly communicate to fans how it was going to be done. It has taken a week, in no small measure due to the efforts of Kev and the lads here, to extract from the FAI, with the same seeming degree of pain associated with dental extraction, to find out how they did it.

I have to agree with everything Kev has said in relation to them moving the goalposts for allocating away tickets. It had always been indicated by the FAI that priority would be given to season ticket holders followed by those who had travelled to away matches. JD made such statements prior to Euro 2012 and games before that; at no stage was it ever indicated that supporters clubs would get preference in the allocation of such tickets (and as has been stated here YBIG is not a supporters club - despite it's high level of involvement)

What has been very obvious in the last few days is that the FAI does not have any system for the allocation of tickets for away games ......... it seems to change depending on what way the wind is blowing ......they can (and apparently do) make it up on a match by match basis. The words such as "understand" and "indicate" that I have used above underline this, because it has never been possible to get a definitive position on it.

The FAI have been very quick to take advantage of YBIG but I have to say that at this stage I feel that YBIG has been let down big time by the FAI

Excellent post Aido

well written and thought out , no waffle just facts......very concise

Why can't you be like that in real life??

Edited by Sligo Hornet - 30 Oct 2014 at 11:36am
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:26am
Brilliantly concise summary Aido.....good to see ya back.

Cuts out all the bullsh1t and excellent conclusion.

anyone external reading it will understand the issue
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

Brilliantly concise summary Aido.....good to see ya back.

Cuts out all the bullsh1t and excellent conclusion.

anyone external reading it will understand the issue
Still thinking where do we go from here ?
Yes all for something to happen before or during the USA game , not in favour of flares , Arab Flags or Tennis balls to be honest .
Will JD ride the storm and come out the other side , i think he will as it just seems all this has happened before and it's just repeating it's self again and again .
Going back to as far back to Italia 90 the Holland game no tickets the the FAi manage to get top dollar tickets for then what was £135 ( huge amount of money then ) fans said no , the FAI made a deal and cut the price . Zellina again but this time we had to pay , not sure but i think it was €125 each .
We keep going over the same ground with the FAI it's just groundhog day all over again .

Well done Aido bye the way .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
BigJ87 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by AidoM AidoM wrote:

Lads and lassies,

ClapClapClapClapClap

dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Originally posted by dunloybhoy dunloybhoy wrote:

whilst I got a ticket for the Scotland game through the supporters club im a member of in Belfast I still share the disgust of the fans here who didn't get a ticket.

to me, I don't feel I warrant a ticket over most of the people on here. yes I was in Germany the other week and last year as well but that wouldn't warrant me getting one over you guys.

I am happy im going but not happy that a lot of people in a SC will get yet not having been to an away game in their lives. the lads in our SC have been to the euros, Estonia, Austria, Macedonia, wales etc. etc. but that's as individuals at different times. there's probably a handful who have a decent away record and deserve a ticket and yes they all go to the home games but its still not right to get as many.

the FAI need a points scoring system in place against each person who travels to an away game, their record should be taken into account when requesting a ticket. the points should be against the individual and when it comes to tickets being divvied out those with the most points should get.

just a query, I've seen some say they requested 3 tickets for example. is this based on the other 2 people they are asking for having a good away record to match theirs? because if they haven't a good away record how can they get a ticket? should tickets not be requested as an individual?

god so many permutations!

but seriously I do support the implementation of a away ticketing scheme. this should not happen again.

Just in my case there will be 13 of us travelling of which i have been looking for 3 tickets 3 of us are on the 1 booking number in the FAI, 2 of us would fall under the all aways catergory with ST and the other lad would be under 50% with ST (he knew and understood that he would probably not get a ticket)  the rest are just 1 game here and 1 game there but had no illusions of getting away tickets anyway

yeah I was wondering what people were requested say 3 or 4 for and were they expecting to get them.

the CSC I was in when it came to getting away tickets for games it was based on the SC's requests during the season. due to not requesting as many as the Scottish based clubs when it came to smaller stadiums or high demands we got very few e.g. Hearts away 2/3, rangers away 10 but where they was no big demand like Kilmarnock away we could get 20 if need be. the SC's record was taken into account the allocation deemed fair IMO and then it was up to the individual SC to allocated based on their own policy's and rules.

its the way it should be for our Ireland SC's if that's the FAI's policy to give tickets to them now as a priority.
put em under pressure!
Richmond Ultra View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmond Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 1:40pm
Omnia Causa Fiunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic