You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heary to Sligo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:49pm
Quietly optimistic. He stopped Bohs getting relegated and got into a safe mid table spot. With a few extra quid hopefully can improve on that.
Sponsored Links

Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Of the three mentioned he is definitely the best candidate. Doolin ffs!

Think his FAI gig is nearly up and is desperate for anything. It still doesn't make sense to me why Sligo wouldn't go after Mick Cooke, the only reason they appear not interested is because he isn't a young manager Confused. I think he'd be a good fit

After watching the "style" of Coleman and Bell don't think there would have been too many going to watch a Mick Cooke team play every second week.

Boards plan is to begin to start getting players through from the youth system rather then bringing in a new batch of players every season. Been a long time since we brought anyone through from underage that was any good (Coleman was just found in a friendly match against St Catherines). Think Heary could be a good fit with that in mind but sure we'll see. 
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:04pm
Doolin is an awful hoofball merchant. Worst I have seen.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 11:55am
Best of luck to Owen Heary in his new job at Sligo
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by 1980 1980 wrote:

Quietly optimistic. He stopped Bohs getting relegated and got into a safe mid table spot. With a few extra quid hopefully can improve on that.
But I think the point is that Sligo targetted Croly, failed to get him, then went for a rookie manager whose sum achievement has been not getting a team relegated. On the face of it that is a significiant lowering of expectations.

We have all heard stories that the finances in Sligo need reacting to and its good that Sligs are reacting with a downsize job, its just a pity that the boom and bust hit Sligo too.
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

But I think the point is that Sligo targetted Croly, failed to get him, then went for a rookie manager whose sum achievement has been not getting a team relegated. On the face of it that is a significiant lowering of expectations.

We have all heard stories that the finances in Sligo need reacting to and its good that Sligs are reacting with a downsize job, its just a pity that the boom and bust hit Sligo too.

After a few years of competing and punching above their weight Sligo are reverting to their traditional place in Irish football, lower premier division/nowhere. Slig fans will probably argue it was worth it for them few brief years. I don't think they are in for anything pretty next season and Heary will end up looking to move back to Dublin anyway
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:19pm
I think you are being a little bit harsh. Sligs people see that they are facing a lean few years financially and are talking appropriate action. Better than trying to spend their way out of it again.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

After a few years of competing and punching above their weight Sligo are reverting to their traditional place in Irish football, lower premier division/nowhere. Slig fans will probably argue it was worth it for them few brief years. I don't think they are in for anything pretty next season and Heary will end up looking to move back to Dublin anyway

Even for you that is a nonsensical post
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:56pm
I am surprised Sligo have jumped into the loi merrygoround by appointing Heary and it may will be a case of cutting back financially but to suggest Rovers will not be a major player is crazy. The infrastructure they have in place makes them the most secure club in the league. They are really looking into player development, something they might feel Heary can improve. It might take a couple of years but I can't see them being away for too long.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:58pm
Why are they any more or less secure than anyone else?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:59pm

I think you are being a little bit harsh. Sligs people see that they are facing a lean few years financially and are talking appropriate action. Better than trying to spend their way out of it again.

Agree with this. It's only 6 years ago since we were begging for money to stay afloat.

On the appointment itself always felt Heary did a decent job at Bohs considering the circumstances. Happy enough with it. 
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:09pm

Why are they any more or less secure than anyone else?

Not just financially. Off the field they have everything in place
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:09pm
I see the muppet show has arrived here now
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Not just financially. Off the field they have everything in place
Like what? Who was the last young player to come through their ranks? Unless I am missing something they have zero players they produced on their books - how is that better than Bohs, Cork, Rovers, Derry etc?

I amn't having a pop at them, but its quite the statement to suggest they have the best setup of all clubs.

Edited by roverstillidie - 27 Oct 2014 at 2:21pm
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:42pm
I amn't saying everything is perfect and they are the finished article but their ground is far superior to Bohs and Derry, their whole complex is the best in the league, in the heart of their town. City's youth system and local recruitment policy brought us to the last day of the season. From what I read elsewhere is that they seem to be adopting a similar approach. From what I can see, despite a disappointing season on the pitch, they have every reason to be positive about the future.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:53pm
Should we not wait and see if they produce any talent before we declare their youth system better than Derry, Cork, UCD etc?

I suppose what I am getting at is that I am surprised that yiou believe the line that Sligs have chosen to not have a competitive team and decided to play kids as some form of decision they have made from strength as opposed to a cost cutting excercise. There is nothing wrong with that decision, but lets call a spade a spade
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:59pm

Should we not wait and see if they produce any talent before we declare their youth system better than Derry, Cork, UCD etc?

I suppose what I am getting at is that I am surprised that yiou believe the line that Sligs have chosen to not have a competitive team and decided to play kids as some form of decision they have made from strength as opposed to a cost cutting excercise. There is nothing wrong with that decision, but lets call a spade a spade
The argument I was making was basted on SP's belief that they were going to fade into the backwater. They have cut their costs, after rebuilding a ground to exceptional standards and delivering top quality training facilities. I never declared their youth facilities a success, merely that it is the correct path to follow. They have arguably the best ground and facilities of any team, talking of their demise is premature.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 3:26pm
Well that isn't what you said, but I take your point.

But there is a difference between relying on your youth system because you trust it like Derry, UCD or Cork, or what Rovers want to be in a position to do with the 1st Division side and having to rely on youth like Bohs or what it appears Sligo will be doing because you are broke.

I can see them struggling very hard as the crowds decline. I can see them doing ok too. We will see what he has to work with and how stringent the cuts are.

Edited by roverstillidie - 27 Oct 2014 at 3:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic