You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Price of Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

£48 for Spurs v Man U in Wembley tonight. The cheapest were £38 I believe.

And Wembley mid week is a horrible experience Thumbs Down

That's good value when compared to Arsenal v Man Utd.

Just checked the spurs website

For games against the top 6 the prices go from £35 to £75 for Adult tickets.
For the middle teams (Everton, Newcastle etc) its £30 to £55
For the rest (Stoke, West Brom) its £20 to £45

Besides the top 6 they really should have dropped the pricing for the other teams by £10 for each level. None of them have been close to selling out.
Well if they charge on average 40 quid and they get 60,000 people at it they get 2.4m.

If they charge on average 30 quid they would need 80,000 in to take in that money at the gate

Would they get 20,000 extra by charging 10 quid less.
Good point, Baldrick.

Besides, those prices are broadly comparable to what they were charging at the old WHL.

Moreover, if they were suddenly to reduce prices during the season at Wembley, that would have future consequences, as follows.

There is no doubt that they will look to charge eye-watering prices next season at the new WHL. So not only would those extra fans who had been attracted to Wembley by cheap tickets all disappear again, but those regular fans who have attended all along, both the old Lane and Wembley, might baulk at the new pricing.

I suspect that Marketing types have a phrase for it - "Protecting Brand Value" (or somesuch).
Sponsored Links

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Paid 25 quid the other month to see Brentford beat Fulham 3-1.

Cheap at twice the price Big smile

25 is the most anybody should be paying in the second division.

Agreed, Thats for the terrace as well. 

No doubt the price will go up when they go to the new stadium in Kew
No doubt.

Then again, considering the owner is spending the thick end of £100m of his own money to build the stadium, and it will have infinitely better facilities and comfort etc than Griffin Park, then he should be perfectly entitled to charge more.

And that's even without getting to the EPL, which is his overriding aim.

Ah, I know. I havent been going long but I really like Griffin Park. Its got a proper old school football feel to it ( The Taylor report will disagree with the sentiment ).

But, for second tier football, approaching 30 quid or whatever it'll likely be will seem excessive.
@AntrimMan85
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 1:59pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Well if they charge on average 40 quid and they get 60,000 people at it they get 2.4m.

If they charge on average 30 quid they would need 80,000 in to take in that money at the gate

Would they get 20,000 extra by charging 10 quid less.
There is also the other match day income that having the seats filled brings, not to mention planting the seed in potential new supporters, as well as community goodwill for a club from one of the poorest boroughs in London.
If Wembley were to be their permanent home, I'd agree. But next season the capacity will be 62k, which I'm sure they'll have little difficulty* selling out.

In which case, they'll have little need, or even room, for those potential new supporters. Moreover, if the only reason they could get these new fans into Wembley was low prices, then how many will come back next season when they see the prices at WHL?

As for "community goodwill", they would argue that they have already discharged that by spending £800m on a new stadium on the old site, with all the jobs and spin-offs which that will bring (as well as the new housing on the site, and this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Academy_of_Excellence_Tottenham )
After all, many (most?) clubs who've built new stadia have moved away from their traditional home, often by some distance.

As for the poverty in Haringey, it's getting on for half a century since the average local in N17 was able to afford to attend Spurs matches.

* - Unless they severely over-price tickets, and/or have a disastrous season.

Edited by Territorial - 31 Jan 2018 at 2:00pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 2:05pm

Paid 25 quid the other month to see Brentford beat Fulham 3-1.

Cheap at twice the price Big smile

25 is the most anybody should be paying in the second division.

Agreed, Thats for the terrace as well. 

No doubt the price will go up when they go to the new stadium in Kew
No doubt.

Then again, considering the owner is spending the thick end of £100m of his own money to build the stadium, and it will have infinitely better facilities and comfort etc than Griffin Park, then he should be perfectly entitled to charge more.

And that's even without getting to the EPL, which is his overriding aim.

Ah, I know. I havent been going long but I really like Griffin Park. Its got a proper old school football feel to it ( The Taylor report will disagree with the sentiment ).

But, for second tier football, approaching 30 quid or whatever it'll likely be will seem excessive.
Re your last point, I'd agree if you were talking about a club outside London/South East.

But quite apart from the fact that London is so much wealthier than the rest of the country, you've also got to consider that £30 at Brentford (or Fulham, QPR etc) is still competitive against £60 at Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc, esp when you can watch those other clubs live on TV half the time.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:26am
Leeds adult ticket prices start at £49 for category A matches.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:13pm
That's s9me serious money to watch football
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 8:22pm
Adult tickets for Preston fans at Bolton £35!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:32pm
FIFA have ordered Anderlecht to refund Bayern Munich fans £26 each after charging them £89 for a ticket for a CL match in September.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:24pm
Average age of an EPL season ticket holder is early 40's - says it all really.

The Jungle used to be a fiver in the late 80's early 90's; you had people p**sing in your pockets but part of the territory.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Average age of an EPL season ticket holder is early 40's - says it all really.
I wonder what the average age was back in the day?

For in my recall, when stadia were rarely full, half the capacity or more was terracing and you could pay at the gate, the majority of young fans never bothered with a season ticket.

Indeed half the attraction was in being away from the oul fellas in the posh seats etc.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 5:58am
I recall my early days supporting Sunderland  when I was a young boy my elder brother would always insist on my twin brother and me getting ready sharpish for home games at Roker Park.

We would be out of the the house at the latest 12.15 for a Saturday 15.00 ko my Mother who wasn't into football would ask why you leaving so early match traffic he would say the real reason was so he could get a place in the Black Cats Bar at the ground to meet his mates. Wink

He would pay for the two of us to get in to Roker Park giving us money for the programme sweets bovril etc and rejoin us abot 14.50.

Those were the days.
Thumbs Up
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

FIFA have ordered Anderlecht to refund Bayern Munich fans £26 each after charging them £89 for a ticket for a CL match in September.

That's an outrageous price. Even £63 is too much.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Even £63 is too much.
Reparations? Wink
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:34pm
Don't mention the war(s).
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 2:13pm

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

That's an outrageous price. Even £63 is too much.

Exaxctly pleased they are getting some money back.
Clap
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 3:30pm

Even £63 is too much.
Reparations? Wink
Going by that, we can charge your mob a couple of grand each!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 3:32pm

Even £63 is too much.
Reparations? Wink
Ah just take it out of this:
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 3:37pm

Even £63 is too much.
Reparations? Wink
Ah just take it out of this:
Not even close to touching it, you could add a few trillion. Anyway, they are loans that were not a 'gesture of goodwill' but given out to protect the British economy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
  Share Topic