You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Price of Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:34pm
LOLClap
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Tickets selling for 7k on viagogo, cheapest on there is around 4k.
Milk the ****s.
Scousers dont need tickets.

Of course not, Everton aren't playing.

Poor effort on the trolling there !
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

How the f**k in a new stadium is there so many restricted view tickets?
I've been in that stadium and I don't understand it either.

Maybe Harry Maguire is sitting in the front row?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Milk the ****s.

What trolling? Less than a third of Liverpool fans live in the north-west.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:09pm

Milk the ****s.

I look forward to seeing where those statistics come from !
Not that it is particularly relevant anyways. 
And certainly in terms of match going fans, based on my experience of having attend hundreds of games at Anfield, those statistics are nowhere near reality. 
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I've been in that stadium and I don't understand it either.

Maybe Harry Maguire is sitting in the front row?

I got restricted view tickets for one of the Euros games. I think it was Sweden in the Stade De France. I emailed UEFA and asked about it and they said they might need extra space for camera men and it could potentially obstruct your view. They’re just covering themselves. No restricted view where I was for that game.  
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:43pm

Milk the ****s.

He’s losing his touch, sadly.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:46pm

Milk the ****s.

I look forward to seeing where those statistics come from !
Not that it is particularly relevant anyways. 
And certainly in terms of match going fans, based on my experience of having attend hundreds of games at Anfield, those statistics are nowhere near reality. 
YouGov did a poll a while back, it said 29% of Liverpool fans live outside the North West, but ,to be honest, it doesn't matter. The fact that an Irish fan of a Liverpool football team, who lives in Hampshire or Berkshire or somewhere, even cares just proves my point. The groupthink of football fans is always fascinating, but with Liverpool fans, especially those not from Liverpool, it must be a psychoanalysts wet dream.
Football fans love myths and legends, but with Liverpool it is mental. It all has to feed into not just the club, but the myth of the city. There is a huge edge of what Joe Strummer brilliantly referred to as 'phoney Beatlemania'. That the music and culture of the city has imbued the football team, which of course it has, to an extent; football clubs are, or in some cases were until recently, products of their community,  but if you then suggest to Tommy from Tullamore that a lot of those on the Kop are 'woolybacks' and 'day trippers', when they are, and, as I am sure you well know, are often referred to as such by the locals,  he takes it personally as an insult to the people of a city he has no connection to.

If I were to make a similar comment about Manchester United fans or to Manchester United fans, you would barely get a reaction, even if they are from Manchester(or Salford. They can get antsy up there about not recognising the difference). Which is why Liverpool fans(from outside Liverpool)  are so easy to wind up, even when you aren't trying to wind them up. They take themselves incredibly seriously.
As I mentioned elsewhere, you don't get the 'Shannon Stretford End', but you do get the 'Clonakilty Kop', it has even moved pubs a couple of times. You don't get 'Guardian' videos about Manchester United fans hanging banners and flags over pubs on the other side of the country, but they are the ones who get mocked for being from the other end of the country!

Worst of all, for a long time it ruined the image of the city and people of Liverpool in my mind. I can  confirm that I was wrong. Liverpool is a wonderful city,(although it could play down the 'phoney' Beatlemania) largely because of those people and their brilliantly self-deprecating sense of humour, something Liverpool fans from outside the city often fail to appreciate or take on board when they are shouting at each other in Scouse. Most of them don't even know what scouse is; I know because I usually ask.

Edited by pre Madonna - 09 May 2019 at 1:49pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:54pm

Milk the ****s.

He’s losing his touch, sadly.
It must be contagious. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:55pm
Nice spiel there but let's cut to the chase - You said "Less than a third of Liverpool fans live in the north-west." I pointed out that in terms of match day fans this statistic wasn't correct. That was my point, nothing more, nothing less. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:04pm

Nice spiel there but let's cut to the chase - You said "Less than a third of Liverpool fans live in the north-west." I pointed out that in terms of match day fans this statistic wasn't correct. That was my point, nothing more, nothing less. 
Can you back that up? Because there is a lot of anecdotal evidence online, mostly from Liverpool fans from the North West, annoyed that they can't get tickets to see their football team, because of 'wools' and 'day trippers'. 

Anyway, the 'chase' I was cutting to was why you, or any other fans who aren't from Liverpool,  care? Which is what the 'spiel' was about!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:09pm

As I mentioned elsewhere, you don't get the 'Shannon Stretford End', but you do get the 'Clonakilty Kop', it has even moved pubs a couple of times.

There's a Man United bar in Belfast, the Red Devil, if that's any good to you?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, you don't get the 'Shannon Stretford End', but you do get the 'Clonakilty Kop', it has even moved pubs a couple of times.

I have been in it, a couple of times, I think! I vaguely remember  we helped the barman win the pub quiz after City lost to Linfield in '05. Well I can't say such a pub would normally by my thing, we got a hell of a lock in though. I didn't hear any attempts by anyone to sound like Ian Brown or Curly Watts. I wasn't there for a game, but I didn't get the feeling that the same bollocksology I referred to was going on. It is certainly a bit cringey, but a lot lower on the scale. 

I will also be the first to admit that I was less likely to tell the locals there if they were acting the bollocks. They were sound, but I felt they had seen things I would never see.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:17pm

Can you back that up? Because there is a lot of anecdotal evidence online, mostly from Liverpool fans from the North West, annoyed that they can't get tickets to see their football team, because of 'wools' and 'day trippers'. 

Anyway, the 'chase' I was cutting to was why you, or any other fans who aren't from Liverpool,  care? Which is what the 'spiel' was about!

The club have statistics on the locations of who buys match tickets - Was in minutes of the fans committee and the more recent fans focus groups. I can also tell you that most of the people who sit in and around me are locals. 

You'll also be aware that the club allocate a certain portion of tickets to all home league games only to people who have an "L" postcode : Right ? And you'll also be aware that, for example, the auto cup scheme for the league cup and FA cup is open to everyone and isn't always fully subscribed ? Or did none of that show up in your ancedotal search of twitter ?? 

And where did I actually say I care what people think ? I go to the games - I know and I'm not arsed what others think. Was just pointing out a factual inaccuracy in your attempt to try and troll somebody into responding to your jibe. 
Next thing you'll be telling me that Everton are the real club of Liverpool because they are "The People's Club"! 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:21pm

I have been in it, a couple of times, I think! I vaguely remember  we helped the barman win the pub quiz after City lost to Linfield in '05. Well I can't say such a pub would normally by my thing, we got a hell of a lock in though. I didn't hear any attempts by anyone to sound like Ian Brown or Curly Watts. I wasn't there for a game, but I didn't get the feeling that the same bollocksology I referred to was going on. It is certainly a bit cringey, but a lot lower on the scale. 

I will also be the first to admit that I was less likely to tell the locals there if they were acting the bollocks. They were sound, but I felt they had seen things I would never see.

Belfast Thumbs Up
Cork Thumbs Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:33pm

The club have statistics on the locations of who buys match tickets - Was in minutes of the fans committee and the more recent fans focus groups. I can also tell you that most of the people who sit in and around me are locals. 

You'll also be aware that the club allocate a certain portion of tickets to all home league games only to people who have an "L" postcode : Right ? And you'll also be aware that, for example, the auto cup scheme for the league cup and FA cup is open to everyone and isn't always fully subscribed ? Or did none of that show up in your ancedotal search of twitter ?? 

And where did I actually say I care what people think ? I go to the games - I know and I'm not arsed what others think. Was just pointing out a factual inaccuracy in your attempt to try and troll somebody into responding to your jibe. 
Next thing you'll be telling me that Everton are the real club of Liverpool because they are "The People's Club"! 
And the lad sitting near them isn't. Again, I don't think there has been any factual inaccuracy on either side, largely as there has been very little fact, on either side. The only 'fact'(Rafa voice) is the YouGov poll. although I am the first to accept that it is open to being questioned.
 Yes, I am aware of the attempted improvements, although I don't use Twitter. Other sources are available. The first time I really thought about it was in a pub in Liverpool, where Liverpool fans from Liverpool were moaning about it. One of them had assumed I was in town for a game and referred to me in the terms mentioned.It is wonderful to see such anger in a post though.  LOLLOL 
Whether I was intending to troll or not, I have undoubtedly succeeded.

I do have a soft spot for Everton myself, not a fan or anything,I have soft spots for certain clubs like Everton, Nottingham Forest and Norwich. Apart from my old football coach at home and a few North Walians, most Evertonians I have met have been from Liverpool. A couple were even from Everton. All of them were 'sound as a pound'. You can take that whichever way rattles you most.LOL

Edited by pre Madonna - 09 May 2019 at 2:36pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:35pm

Belfast Thumbs Up
Cork Thumbs Down
You're probably correct now. I haven't been back in Cork in a few years, but I think the whole Celtic Tiger and the fallout from that ruined a great little city. When I was growing up in West Cork, Cork was a brilliant city with lots of underground scenes and a 'do what you want attitude'. The last time I was there that had disappeared. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:46pm

I had restricted views for all 3 matches in euro 2016

Paris - had a camera man about 10 feet below me
Bordeaux  - had a 6 inch perpex screen on top of a waist high concrete upstand
Lille  - hadn't a clue what the restriction was
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 24>
  Share Topic