Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RTE Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 49>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Turn RTE off after the final whistle nowadays, panel is gone to the dogs, modern society PC sh*te. Surprised they haven’t managed to squeeze a LGBT person on yet or they have and I’ve missed it 

Clown

Fallon knows more about football than most lads on here 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 09 Jun 2021 at 11:45pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 1:47am
No interest in most football panels. But old school dunphy panel was more like a bad sitcom. Conflict... conflict.... conflict. Even though it's sh!tetalk, it was so watchable. 

Most football panels are terrible, and give me no more insight than I know myself. Dunphy, Giles and Brady was just a welcome distraction from most matches. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 6:49am

Turn RTE off after the final whistle nowadays, panel is gone to the dogs, modern society PC sh*te. Surprised they haven’t managed to squeeze a LGBT person on yet or they have and I’ve missed it 
LOLJaysus. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:37am

Wow. Imagine being this much of a **** because you hate seeing a woman speaking about football.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:41am
To be honest I much rather ex mens soccer professionals giving the insights into the game. Like when listening to OTB AM or whatever, you have a great interest as to what the OTB team or journalists have to say but once you see a 'Matt Holland gives his views' or 'souness is on the football show' then I am more interested in what they have to say and turning the volume up because they have lived and done it and in the case of irish matches, lived and done it in the irish men's set up and know exactly what it's like.

In the last 2 games there they had 4 panelists but only 1 had ever been in and around the Ireland camp for any period of time (Kevin Doyle).

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Jun 2021 at 8:43am
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

To be honest I much rather ex mens soccer professionals giving the insights into the game. Like when listening to OTB AM or whatever, you have a great interest as to what the OTB team or journalists have to say but once you see a 'Matt Holland gives his views' or 'souness is on the football show' then I am more interested in what they have to say and turning the volume up because they have lived and done it and in the case of irish matches, lived and done it in the irish men's set up and know exactly what it's like.

In the last 2 games there they had 4 panelists but only 1 had ever been in and around the Ireland camp for any period of time (Kevin Doyle).

That’s pretty sad tbf.

Imagine turning the volume up to get football insight from Matt Holland LOL
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:08am
God be with the days when you had no idea what the panel said and cared less because you were at the game.  

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:22am
Imagine holding a UEFA Pro License, having experience coaching with Bohs, Cork City, NI, Chelsea and London City, the Dublin Gaelic set-up, while currently a first team coach at Galway United and you get dismissed on here because of how your hair looks LOL

I'd say there are less than a handful of people on this forum who know more about football and coaching than her (I'd actually wager there are none on here who do).

I hope none of you have daughters lads if that's your attitude to women in sport.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:24am
Some of the lads on here

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'm pretty much the exact opposite to that. Give me a good sports journalist (Daniel Taylor, Philippe Auclair, Miguel Delaney etc) over an ex-pro any day. It's pretty rare to get any real insight from a retired player. The vast majority of them are incredibly bland in truth.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:34am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Imagine holding a UEFA Pro License, having experience coaching with Bohs, Cork City, NI, Chelsea and London City, the Dublin Gaelic set-up, while currently a first team coach at Galway United and you get dismissed on here because of how your hair looks LOL

I'd say there are less than a handful of people on this forum who know more about football and coaching than her (I'd actually wager there are none on here who do).

I hope none of you have daughters lads if that's your attitude to women in sport.

100%, Fallon gave more insight into the game then Kevin Doyle did.

I remember when Hope Solo was on the RTE panel and she ran rings around the others in terms of knowledge of the game. 

Also being able to give the prospective of a goalkeeper too which I've always said is something which is lacking in most TV Analysis of games.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:35am

+1

I'd have loved Fallon to have been given the first team job at Cork City after Caulfield, but no doubt the attitudes you see on here would have been hard to overcome. Every loss would have been greeted with a "its a mans game" narrative. Pity we're not there yet, anyone who's worked with her has raved about her. Her analysis is top notch too, on the ball with most of the tactics.

Regarding the RTE panel, I think it's showing up that we preferred the barroom type sl*gging that Dunphy, Brady and Souness used to do rather than actual tactical analysis. I don't think it's a slight on us, it is far more entertaining, but those personalities are hard to find in football these days. Years of media-trained interviews and bland autobiographies have mean the new players retiring are very boring. Crouch and Micah Richards are two that I've warmed to, but no doubt other would hate them
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:56am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

100%, Fallon gave more insight into the game then Kevin Doyle did.

I remember when Hope Solo was on the RTE panel and she ran rings around the others in terms of knowledge of the game. 

Also being able to give the prospective of a goalkeeper too which I've always said is something which is lacking in most TV Analysis of games.

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:20pm

Agreed. Anytime she has been on the panel she has probably been the best on it. I usually think Sadlier is ok but for the Andorra match it seemed like he was trying to be edgy and just ended up confusing himself. Fallon and Doyle worked well.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:21pm
Each to their own. I have nothing against Fallon or other coaches-come- journos/analysts who sit on panels and give their insights. I dont dismiss them or think I know more and will happily consume their interviews and articles in media. 

I just prefer to hear football opinions and insights from those who have really lived it and maybe have some entertaining stories especially on the major games.  

And my yearning for the original panal is that they were a mainstay and reminds you of the history and good and bad times of supporting the team.

Generic analysis of that specific game and applying their own philosophy into the game without having lived it, just not the same for me

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:55pm
Dunphy was on OTB the other day and basically said that his analyse along with Giles and Brady kind of overshadowed the football and they were bigger than the football.
Which is pretty true enough, they were entertaining.
The dark side.. And the light
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 1:34pm
Dunphy is doing better work now he’s off the RTE panel. His best days on TV were well gone. As great as they were, the last few years were more parody than anything 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Dunphy was on OTB the other day and basically said that his analyse along with Giles and Brady kind of overshadowed the football and they were bigger than the football.
Which is pretty true enough, they were entertaining.

20 years ago Ouch
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 49>
  Share Topic